PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Schism to Vicarious? HUH?

Mitote
04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
To everyone comparing Schism to Vicarious...

all I have to say is...

HUH?????

Sounds NOTHING like SCHISM. Sorry, don't hear the correlation. I didn't care for Schism, this song kicks!

Systolic
04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Its closer to Pushit in my eyes...

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Please PM me, I haven't heard it yet and have been asking for someone to PM the link. Thanks

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
The bass/guitar riffs in the intro are like the middle-segue of Schism dude.

Plus the palm-muted walking 5/4 riff in another section.

Very similar.

Oh, and the snare-snap ending with the llllitttttllle bit of reverb.

OH!!! and the double-kick-drum BULLSHIITTT!!!

If they want to make metal they should just be a fucking metal band, rather than like a melodic/alternative/metal/prog band as they claim.

Make Maynard yell. He yells the best. Sounds like a fucking beast. Get some throat surgery or something bro, get them pipes back. QUIT BOOZIN!!!!

Attila
04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
The rhythms are similar, but i agree with Mitote. I don't think its even close. It's a very different beast in my opinion.

Frances
04-14-2006, 11:27 PM
this song is exactly what i've wanted.. it's as if rather than tossing the coolest riffs into the climax section, they just make all of their material orgasmic.. every riff, beat, vocal, lyrics, sequence in this track is just excellent.. i'm on my 7th listen and it just gets better and better.. i keep hearing things i definitely didn't notice the last time i heard it.. can definitely hear the meshuggah influence, and somehow this the album people were hoping for after Aenima was released, Lateralus being what we'd expect to come next.. i don't know.. but i really dig this track a lot.. very straightforward and asskicking.. if i compared it to any track it would be.. schism + pushit i guess.. maybe Aenema because it just keep unraveling.. and the climax is just.. oooo..

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Sweet, would be awesome to debate with you guys if someone was kind enough to PM me the link to the song/downoad. *hint* *hint*

xdwingdx
04-14-2006, 11:31 PM
the beginning is very very similar to the slow part in schism. not a bad thing, but it definately sounds like a familiar tool track. the jump from aenima to lateralus was incredibly dramatic. the jump from lateralus to 10kd does not seem "shocking." but this is an amazing song and i am pushing 15 listens.

Mitote
04-14-2006, 11:32 PM
this song is exactly what i've wanted.. it's as if rather than tossing the coolest riffs into the climax section, they just make all of their material orgasmic.. every riff, beat, vocal, lyrics, sequence in this track is just excellent.. i'm on my 7th listen and it just gets better and better.. i keep hearing things i definitely didn't notice the last time i heard it.. can definitely hear the meshuggah influence, and somehow this the album people were hoping for after Aenima was released, Lateralus being what we'd expect to come next.. i don't know.. but i really dig this track a lot.. very straightforward and asskicking..

True, true. there's no hidden agenda with this tune --- it's loud and it's in your face. If it reminds me of anything, it reminds me of Undertow's drive --- which is not a bad pallette to dip from! Undertow was also angrier...

And let's face it -- 'admit it' --- Lateralus was not nearly as fun because it was a very optimistic album. We love dark shit; we love the drama and the brooding; the anger; the hate; the suffering. It's the dream of Earth right now; The dream of Hell that we've collectively chosen.

Enjoy the new album guys; I'll be in line right behind you.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Please PM me, I haven't heard it yet and have been asking for someone to PM the link. Thanks

Hey CHUCK, look for it in other forums!!!!! I found it there, it's not that hard. It's late, nobody is going to do it now. Just look around for a little bit.

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Guy, please, i've looked all over, the earlier links don't work, i don't see how i was impolite by asking. Let it go.
anyway, i did get those PM from a few of you so thank you.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey CHUCK, look for it in other forums!!!!! I found it there, it's not that hard. It's late, nobody is going to do it now. Just look around for a little bit.

And also, the song SUCKS!!! I wouldn't even listen to it if I were you. I'd just wait cuz it fucked up my anticipation for the album and now I have even higher standards for the album because this song was so dissapointing that the rest of the album will have to make up for this shitty introduction song. I WILL CALL THEM A PERFECT TOOL NOW BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS SONG SOUNDS LIKE!!!!! APC AND TOOL MIX. I THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER DO IT.

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:41 PM
i'd definately call this song an Ænema-esque one, if i were to compare it to any previous tool effort.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Guy, please, i've looked all over, the earlier links don't work, i don't see how i was impolite by asking. Let it go.

I didnt mean to call you impolite, I'm just trying not to spoil your standards for the album. this song really does suck. I'm not kidding. Really, i am very dissapointed.

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=907675#post907675

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=907853#post907853

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=907860#post907860

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=907898#post907898

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=907999#post907999

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=908023#post908023

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=908040#post908040

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=908050#post908050

http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=908225#post908225

gtfo.

Frances
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
True, true. there's no hidden agenda with this tune --- it's loud and it's in your face. If it reminds me of anything, it reminds me of Undertow's drive --- which is not a bad pallette to dip from! Undertow was also angrier...

And let's face it -- 'admit it' --- Lateralus was not nearly as fun because it was a very optimistic album. We love dark shit; we love the drama and the brooding; the anger; the hate; the suffering. It's the dream of Earth right now; The dream of Hell that we've collectively chosen.

i totally agree.. lateralus is my favorite record but often i doubt that i really love it and am simply holding on to that old feeling of peace and security it filled me with.. that idea of enlightenment that was really just slowing me down, convincing me that i was actually developing when in fact the only development i am due for is to get used to misery, and my given methods of survival in this shithole that is life.. because i know that that peace only comes to be washed away by aggression and hostility.. the moments i'm happy are the moments i spend at my highest guard.. the song though.. each line is just.. awesome.. memorable maybe.. typical tool single, having some phrase you won't forget.. why can't we just admit it.. vicariously i watch the world die.. maybe not quite so memorable because not so repititious.. this is an excellent song.. indeed, we love, battle, and submit entirely to the anger; the hate; the suffering.. this track.. the music.. it's actually quite dramatic, somewhat shallow, but not giving a fuck about what people think..

definitely, this song is all about "i don't give a fuck what you think, about me or anything else, just fucking hear this, hear what i have to say.." i think this will be my new favorite album.. sorry for the bullshit rant..

zach5284
04-14-2006, 11:49 PM

And also, the song SUCKS!!! I wouldn't even listen to it if I were you. I'd just wait cuz it fucked up my anticipation for the album and now I have even higher standards for the album because this song was so dissapointing that the rest of the album will have to make up for this shitty introduction song. I WILL CALL THEM A PERFECT TOOL NOW BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS SONG SOUNDS LIKE!!!!! APC AND TOOL MIX. I THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER DO IT.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 11:50 PM

I didnt mean to call you impolite, I'm just trying not to spoil your standards for the album. this song really does suck. I'm not kidding. Really, i am very dissapointed.

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:52 PM
wtf? why are post 12 and 17 the same? 14 and 18?

another reason to GTFO.

Attila
04-14-2006, 11:52 PM
GTFO.

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Ok, no problem, did you mean to post the same more than once? I'll belistening to it in about 2 minutes, and i'll see for myself. I'm openminded. Thanks for the thought, but please worry about YOUR standards on Tool's music. I'll worry about mine, thanks.

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:54 PM
anyone heard the oceansize song "The Charm Offensive"? Very similar to this track, except a little more ambient. i suggest a listen..

Catharsistheory1
04-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I find it funny that people are already getting pissed off and comparing Vicarious to Schism, APC, and even some asshole thought the song sounded like POD. I don't see how people can judge a song when they don't even know how it fits in with the album as a whole. Remember people, bands such as Tool, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd laugh at the idea of singles, but I really happened to like the song. I know the fact that no one cares what I think, and that everything is relative. When I first heard schism I hated it, but I was 17 years old and immature, and should of waited to judge, because Lateralus as a whole to me is amazing.

reverend resistor
04-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I find it funny how people are making new threads with the exact same ideas as already started ones!

Oh wait, no I don't, I find it annoying.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 12:01 AM
see the other thread on this topic

Scrunzset
04-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I find it funny that people are already getting pissed off and comparing Vicarious to Schism, APC, and even some asshole thought the song sounded like POD. I don't see how people can judge a song when they don't even know how it fits in with the album as a whole. Remember people, bands such as Tool, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd laugh at the idea of singles, but I really happened to like the song. I know the fact that no one cares what I think, and that everything is relative. When I first heard schism I hated it, but I was 17 years old and immature, and should of waited to judge, because Lateralus as a whole to me is amazing.

How'd you know what my holy trinity is?!

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Be original people! Comparing it to something is lame. It is a new song, and to me, it sounds like Vicarious by Tool.. nothing else..... As for POD, who ever said that needs to grow a brain.

The Let Down
04-15-2006, 12:16 AM
POD could record for 100 years and not make anything 1/4th as good as Vicarious.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 02:08 AM
POD could record for 100 years and not make anything 1/4th as good as Vicarious.

I'd say more like they could record for 10,000 years and still never make anything that touches Tool.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 02:13 AM
hey i just had a spine tingling idea - what if they jump into 'vicarious' from the middle section of 'schism'. It's very possible with the intro sounding similar - just go bang vicarious heavy riff. COOL!

Perseensilmä
04-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Patient
Schism
Parabola
APC

Still it doesn´t sound like them. Those are the songs that this song reminds me of.