PDA

View Full Version : just a few original thoughts on vicarious

greg vs greg
04-14-2006, 10:10 PM
After my first listen, I think it really has a sense of urgency through the entire thing. It never lets up, it just keeps going and growing harder. Some have complained that they don't alternate the mood enough. I don't think they wanted to on this track. It fits with what the song is about. Lateralus was all about finding yourself and learning to think for yourself, so it would make sense that they would change moods a lot on it. This is not Lateralus. This song is like a pill which is hard to swallow, it's abrasive as hell, and so I can completely see why lots of people are going to dislike it. But it's what it's supposed to be.

The beginning sounds like schism. They stretched back 5 years and presented it as the first thing you hear on the new album. Why? Possibly because the problems talked about in Vicarious were also prevelant 5 years ago, shortly after 9/11. Just my two cents.

I don't know if this has been said already or not, but starting at 1:18 you can hear something being said in the background. I didn't even notice it at first. I had skip back to make sure it was there. It's really drowned out by Maynard's voice, which is drowned out by guitar, but it's still there. I can't wait till someone with more patience than me figures out what is being said. Insanely quiet talking can be heard again at about 5:00.

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 10:13 PM
There are no original thoughts.

Idiotica
04-14-2006, 10:17 PM
you can put whatever 'spin' on it you like but your 'gut' will tell you if it's any good or not.

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
you can put whatever 'spin' on it you like but your 'gut' will tell you if it's any good or not.

And about 20 years of songwriting training.

Oh, and listening to every fucking record you can get your hands on.

This is just a rock record, like every other rock record that's been released.

Mike Patton should sing for Tool. At least he's over the hump and can still fucking spill his fuckin guts out with the youngsters. If Vicarious is an idication of Maynards vocal skills these days... ew, what a bitch.

xdwingdx
04-14-2006, 11:17 PM
its an amazing song. but it does make me wonder if it is possible for the album to be better than lateralus. i shouldnt compare, but i do. i just cant wait for the album.

Mescaline
04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
fucken aye!. nice post.