PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious Review, worth the read

xpandnz
04-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Ok
So everyone is either really upset or really pissed off right now about the new single.
Well....
Breathe...

Firstly,
Tool are one of the many bands that have their own sound. They keep the sound. Listen to all the albums and Jones guitar is always very much similiar sounding. This is so noticable from the beginning.
Justin has kept his bass sound. Danny has kept his drum sound. (Did you notice the Rotosound cymbal just as they rock on into the main riff?)
The only thing that has really changed is Maynard. His vocals seem so growly and throaty at the beginning. Now correct me if im wrong but his melody in the chorus almost seems like a rip off of The Outsider from APC. It seems like Maynard has forgotten he is in Tool. But, this is a new sound I welcome. I actually like it. Its a new sound that Tool has been working with. Think about it like this, as a muso, there is nothing more satisfying then getting a really hard out adreniline buzz while playing your own music. The build up in this song is really good and its Maynards meleody that causes me to get shivers up my spine. Im talking about the chorus at 6.32 in the song. He is singing his soul out guys, and hes singing about stuff that matters. Let me explain.

Watch the TV. Watch the news. Read the papers.
We are buying death and acting like it doesnt matter.
We are killing the earth with Green House gasses and no one can do anything about it. We are the ones who are watching the world die, through our TV.
Vicarious: Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another

Why cant we stop whats going on?
Because we choose not too.
I think that what maynard is singing about rings true. His lyrics are spot on. He's pissed off. So he should be. Look at the world today. Turn on the TV. See it for yourself.

back to the music.
As far as guitar riffs are concerned, Adam isnt doing anythng super fancy, He is doing what he does best, giving these songs that Signature sound. And its the same as Danny and Justin. If you want super progressive music go buy a Dream Theatre CD or go buy King Crimson. Tool is a progressive rock band that progresses in its sound. Not in its silly fancy riffs that could be done by Steve Vai or John Pertucci. As Danny quoted "I think we really are an alternative band."

So from my point of view, Maynard sings about something that has meaning.
The sound is seriously a new direction in the Tool sound. What were you expecting? Lateralus, the B sides?
And the album will be nothing short of mezmerising. I cant wait.

Oh by the way, see what lots of expectation does for a good artists? It makes true fans dissapointed. But not me. Thanks Tool. You made my day and many other Tool fans.

praefector
04-14-2006, 10:03 PM
it's nice to see you put effort into a post like this

but sadly, i dont feel it will make a difference.

those who are being patient with the song and waiting for the whole album and adequate time to pass before they judge it dont need this.

those who arent...probably wont be patient enough to read that.

nice effort though..really...not being condescending.

voleurz
04-14-2006, 10:06 PM
who cares let people have their own opinnions its ok to have diverse taste...
not raggin on the thread starter at all i agree with and liek what he wrote.

Zenith
04-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I thought it rocked.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Vicarious sucks. everybody knows it . Stop denying your emotions. This song is as boring as A Perfect Circle's ' The Package'. It doesn't add up at all compared to the first song on any of their other records.

Briznitch
04-14-2006, 10:18 PM
As far as Maynard sounding like APC, I think the reason is because APC has had things happening more recently than Tool. They were on your mind more recently with something new, as Tool was not. And Maynard's style is very Maynard, nobody else has it. Of course you are going to see similarities in the two bands. But saying that it sounds like APC is kind of like saying Maynard is copying Maynard. The music is NOTHING like APC at all, the vox, that's just Maynard style. And I fucking love it. I would hope he DOESN'T change too much, because it's what he does now, and every single time, that I love. Wouldn't want that to change, personally.

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Lateralus was crap. 'Cept for Schism, that song was great. It was up and down and all around. The riffs were melodically well thought out and so was the rhythms and structure. Yes yes, well done that was.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!

zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
As far as Maynard sounding like APC, I think the reason is because APC has had things happening more recently than Tool. They were on your mind more recently with something new, as Tool was not. And Maynard's style is very Maynard, nobody else has it. Of course you are going to see similarities in the two bands. But saying that it sounds like APC is kind of like saying Maynard is copying Maynard. The music is NOTHING like APC at all, the vox, that's just Maynard style. And I fucking love it. I would hope he DOESN'T change too much, because it's what he does now, and every single time, that I love. Wouldn't want that to change, personally.

Yeah, but I love both bands cuz he has a different style with each of them. After Mer de Noms, he went back to Tool and created an album with a lyrical style that had nothing to do with Mer de Noms. But this song obviously has the same lyrics and feeling that eMotive did. He shouldn't have narrowed his lyrics down to something that he already covered in a different band, on a different album.

mike09
04-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah, but I love both bands cuz he has a different style with each of them. After Mer de Noms, he went back to Tool and created an album with a lyrical style that had nothing to do with Mer de Noms. But this song obviously has the same lyrics and feeling that eMotive did. He shouldn't have narrowed his lyrics down to something that he already covered in a different band, on a different album.

Except eMotive is a cover album, so he didn't actually write any of the lyrics on it.

steve99_9
04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Lateralus was crap. 'Cept for Schism, that song was great. It was up and down and all around. The riffs were melodically well thought out and so was the rhythms and structure. Yes yes, well done that was.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!
...shoot yourself

zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Except eMotive is a cover album, so he didn't actually write any of the lyrics on it.

Yeah, I know he didn't write any of the songs, except for 'Passive', but he sang the lyrics and changed the emotion of them to his style and his feelings at the time. I feel like he is caught in the same emotions, and personally, Tool should never have gone political or narrowed itself down to making an album focused on one certain thing. I'm not saying they did on the whole album, but on Vicarious, it seems that it's Tool with Maynard still trying to eMotive the damn song.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:35 PM
anyone????

Neill Fraser
04-14-2006, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=zach5284] This song is as boring as A Perfect Circle's ' The Package'. [QUOTE]

Shame the "lie" hook beats anything other melodic hook in Vicarious.

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!
You don't belong here man. I don't care if you don't like Vicarious, but Lateralus was the shit.

MentalSanityOff
04-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Watch the TV. Watch the news. Read the papers.
We are buying death and acting like it doesnt matter.
We are killing the earth with Green House gasses and no one can do anything about it. We are the ones who are watching the world die, through our TV.
Vicarious: Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another

Why cant we stop whats going on?
Because we choose not too.
I think that what maynard is singing about rings true. His lyrics are spot on. He's pissed off. So he should be. Look at the world today. Turn on the TV. See it for yourself.
I'm not so sure the song is meant to be satirical. I have a feeling it's more sincere, not meaning to be counterintuitive, but actually speaking what it means. I think maynard is really saying that we, as a culture, are so paranoid that we need to watch things die to give ourselves momentary peace. You could even say this is the final effect of "stinkfist," when overstimulation is at the maximum. In the beginning, a story from a grandparent was fine. The radio broadcast, then little three stooges slapstick, then 007 type stuff in the 60s, then texas chainsaw massacres, the exorcist. Then it wasnt entertaining if it wasnt real, so you got these originally sincere reality shows. Then fear factor type shit. People being scared shitless for your amusement was now stimulating enough. Now maynard is saying it isn't entertaining if it's entertainment at all, we as a people are so afraid of terrorists and simple things in our daily live, that our only peace comes from turning on the TV to see criminals being busted by cops and wars being fought overseas.
I think there is truth behind the fact that our culture demands that we (I'm speaking namely American culture) call for constant overconsumption and overstimulation. The overconsumption and overstimulation is to counter the fear and paranoia being delivered to us over the television.
I mean, honestly, just last week I spent 2 hours on google video and youtube watching videos of atomic explosions and mushroom clouds for entertainment. Not like people in hiroshima dying or anything, just videos of test explosions out in the desert, but still, it took 2 hours of atomic explosions just to stimulate me. God damn.

It's very true. Tool isn't happy about it, but they know its true nonetheless, and address it as a means of having people realize this and hopefully turn off their television.

MentalSanityOff
04-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Lateralus was crap.
If you're not being sarcastic, you get out of Baltimore now.

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't belong here?

Fucking 13 years in this trench baby, since 1993 so eat-it.

Lateralus was just like this single. In fact the only good part of Lateralus was it's single... pretty odd. the Grudge? Stupid guitar riff. the Patient? Yawn. Schism? Rocked the shit. Parabola? Pretty cool. the rest.............. nap-time. Nothing interesting happened! It didn't HEAVE like AENIMA and it wasn't crazy like Undertow. What were you doing when Undertow came out? That sounded NOTHING like ANYTHING that existed at the time. That shit was the fucking shit. Same with Aenima. ... Lateralus, Vicarious? FUCKING TYPICAL, which is not what Tool attempts to be.

Since Aenima I've never heard them go out on a limb other than with time-signatures n' what-not. That was their peak, and will remain their peak unless this album is something fucking spectacular which we all hope for otherwise it'll mean one thing... DEATH

or in Italian for those of Italian or Sicilian decent ...

MORTE!

And don't tell me to get out of Baltimore, I'd like to see you do shit for MY FUCKING CITY.

zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm not saying that it sounds like 'The Package' but it is almost just as repetitive as it.
It sounds worse than any other song on Undertow, and some of those songs get pretty unattractive at the end. But at least they're not repetitive.

MentalSanityOff
04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
And don't tell me to get out of Baltimore, I'd like to see you do shit for MY FUCKING CITY.
Chill bud, I was screwing around.

People need to turn down hostility just a bit. Although I've been rockin out in Baltimore since 89. Heh

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Chill bud, I was screwing around.

People need to turn down hostility just a bit. Although I've been rockin out in Baltimore since 89. Heh

Word.

Ottobar & Talking Head... best bands in history come through these joints.

I saw Tool at Hammerjacks in 1994. I was 11 years old. And the Jesus Lizard that same year.

See so many bands get overlooked cuz of crazy fanboy shit.
MEEEOWW!!! I LOVE THISSSS IT MAKES ME CUMMMMM!!!!
So what... if you took the time to listen to something else it'd make you cum too.

Music makes me cum.

MentalSanityOff
04-14-2006, 10:55 PM
as lateralus goes, patient, i can understand if somebody cant really get into it. schism is good and catchy, but i've considered it to be less of a showcase for tool's talent than most of their songs. I don't know how you can deny Parabola, from the very beginning, this song is rocking hard, until you get to the next track, and ticks and leeches knocks the wind out of you. I consider lateralus to just be a beautiful song, and, agreed, from there the CD is over for me. I never litsen to mantra or faaip, and i very, very rarely listen to disposition/reflection/triad. But the "real" songs on there are quality (though i still prefer Aenima by a hair)

I was just born here, and I live like 10 minutes outside of the city, so I honestly don't know the city as intametely as I'd like. I'm just very familiar with the inner harbor, the peobody school, and some of the hopkins campus

Dross
04-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Vicarious sucks. everybody knows it . Stop denying your emotions. This song is as boring as A Perfect Circle's ' The Package'. It doesn't add up at all compared to the first song on any of their other records.

I mean what brings this on. Why compare something that doesn't need to be compared. The first track on the album? Who cares. It's a good song. I don't compare it to the first track on other albums. I mean the first track on Opiate? heh.

Why is everyone so negative? I mean name some music out there now that is SOOO much better than this song. This song is well put together and it's the radio single. Don't name old TOOL stuff. They aren't going to sound the same! Give that up already.

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 11:16 PM
B-more rocks bro! You should come in and check it out thoroughly!

I'm goin to bed. Like the rest of 'em.

greghatesthekids
04-14-2006, 11:18 PM
I mean what brings this on. Why compare something that doesn't need to be compared. The first track on the album? Who cares. It's a good song. I don't compare it to the first track on other albums. I mean the first track on Opiate? heh.

Why is everyone so negative? I mean name some music out there now that is SOOO much better than this song. This song is well put together and it's the radio single. Don't name old TOOL stuff. They aren't going to sound the same! Give that up already.

Why so negative? Because we have high expectations for a band that claims to be so progressive and alternative and mind-expanding and blah-bliggity-blah. People built this shit up like, you hear them talking about how they listen to Messhugah and King Crimson and it's like "Whoa dude those are great bands!" You can't help be think these guys are going to give birth to something as mindblowing. I think if the vocals were MEANER on this I'd be less pissed about it. Maynard kills it seriously. When you build a structure you have to be able to have the footing to stand on it, and this [Vicarious] is just plain weak! It's dissappointing and makes ya angry!

And dude, I can name at least 10 songs off the top of my head that are better than this song. Don't listen to the radio, it's bad for you and your knowledge.

hatred in a jar
04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
O.K. First of all for all you people saying that the track has no emotion, you obviously didn't listen to the song thorougly enough. Either that or there's something terribly wrong with you.

First of all let me say that I listened to this song over and over again for a full hour... maybe more. At first listen I was amazed by the amount of changes the song went through. I also liked Maynard's vocals but I was having a hard time understanding them. I had my head down while I was listening and at a certain point I decided to look at how much time was left on the track. I thought the song was half way over, but it was actually at the last ten seconds of the song! It's amazing how Tool can make a seven minute nine second long track keep me so entertained that it felt like only 3 minutes.

After listening over and over I started to understand the lyrics and I'll break them down how I percieve them. Some lyrics might be wrong.

The first lines go like this:

--I am the T.V.
--Cause tragedy thrills me
--What hell of flavor
--It happens to be

--Like killed by the hungsman (???)
--Drowned by the ocean
--Shot by his own son
--She knew of the poison

To me, I believe that it is human nature to be thrilled by tragedy to an extent. You put on the news and all you see is murder, rapes , accidents and morbid things in general. Most of the time these are the types of stories that air in the beginning to catch the viewer's eye. This is because we as humans are drawn to violence, murder and tragedy. How many great stories are there that have tragic endings. It is these tragic stories that leave us in awe and give the story a meaning. I can even recall times when friends of mine have told me a tragic story or vice versa. For example, I heard a story about this 17 year old kid who was driving drunk and smashed his car into a tree, wrapped the whole car around it, had to get the jaws of life to pull him out, and he eventually died. Why did we go into such detail talking about such a tragedy? Because it was thrilling to talk about and we found it entertaining to an extent. Did I know the kid that died? No. Did I care? Not really. I mean it was unfortunate that the kid died but I didn't know him and it was just another story that you say "Well that sucks for him" think about it for a minute, and then go on with everyday life like nothing happened. I'm not saying I'm happy the kid died, I'm just saying that tragedy is consistent with life and we surround our lives with it.

I believe the song has an overall theme that a majority of people in the world (except for places that don't have widespread television) watch so much T.V. that it controls their lives so much that they aren't even living their lives at all. To sit in front of a T.V. and watch mind numbing bullshit (which most people do) is not beneficial to your life in any way. I bet there are people out there that watch so much T.V. that they know more about celebrities lives than they know about themself as a person! I mean a little T.V. here and there ain't gonna kill ya. But for god sakes at least watch something interesting that has some type of intellectual appeal to it. To sit in front of a T.V. and flip through channels in your spare time is honestly a waste of life. Life is meant to be lived, not watched.

--Don't look at me like
--I am a monster
--Stare like a junkie
--Into the T.V.
--Star like a zombie
--Why of the marvel (???)

--Hold the child
--Watch as it dying
--Kiss to the sky cry
--Why, oh why

--'Cause I need to watch things die
--From a distance
--Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
--You all need to choose your own life (???)

Obviously Maynard is talking about how T.V. is systematically taking over people's lives. I like how he intertwines how tragedy thrills him, he needs to watch things die because of the thrill of tragedy, and in a whole, the tragedy is that the whole world is spending so much watching T.V. instead of gaining knowledge and/or being productive with themselves, therefore slowly dying by living a meaningless life in T.V. dreamland.

I had a hard time with this part. If anyone else has any ideas on what the lyrics are post em up.

--Why can't we just admit it. x2
--We won't get ??? until the blood is flowin'
--We won't get balls (???) until the blood is flowin'
--Niether the brave new and bold (???)
--Right as the story's told
--We won't get balls (???) until the blood is flowin'

--'Cause I need to watch things die
--From a good safe distance
--Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
--You all feel the same so why don't we just admit it

--Could you at least repress your desire
--To believe in angels in the hearts of men
--Throw your head out not your hairpiece and give a reason.
--I shouldn't have to say it all again.
--The universe is hostile
--So impersonal
--Devour to survive so it is.
--So its always been

--We all feed
--On Tragedy
--It's the virtue of empire

--Vicariously I-
--Live while the whole world dies
--Much better you than I

I love the part when the rythyhm changes out of nowhere and Maynard says the "So why don't we just admit it" part at the end of the second chorus. I can't understand how people don't like this song. It has so much diversity and it does exactly what the interview said. The song starts off in one place and ends up in a whole different one by the end of the song. When you can accomplish that in music, that is what you call a masterpiece. Honestly I think this album might be the best Tool album to date just because it sounds like we are going to hear a lot more of MUSIC (Guitars, Drums, Bass) on this one. I came to this conclusion because of what I read in the Guitar World interview with Adam, which is a must read by the way. ""This record sounds so huge," says Jones. "That's because the vocals aren't mixed way out front. When you mix the vocals out front, it crushes the force of the band behind them." Also at one point in the interview they point out that Maynard's voice doesn't even sound like a voice it sound like an instrument on some of the songs.

Another reason this album might be the best to date is because of this quote right here, "But if we write something I really like, I get teary eyed. I'm the kind of guy who can cry really easily. The really long song on the record that starts very clasically and builds is my favorite song that we have ever done. I get really choked up whenever we play it. I was really worried where Maynard was going to go with it, but he nailed the lyrics on that one." I belive that this song is anywhere from 13-15 mins long. I even heard something about 18 minutes but I think that was before it was mastered,

Well, my overall feeling is that "Vicarious is a fucking great song and 10,000 days is gonna rock my fucking socks off. I am so happy. I know I didn't finish posting all the lyrics because I'm getting tired and lazy now. But I think it would be a good idea for everyone to try and add what their thoughts on the lyrics are so we could get the full lyrics down so we can fully appreciate it more. Correct me if you realize any mistakes. I also didn't even bother trying to interpret the lyrics that start at 4:08. That's gonna take a while and I'm getting tired. So let's get workin on that people!

Vicarious = Lyrically Genius. Vocals blending perfectly with the song. Unexpected changes in the song that make the difference between a song and a masterpiece in the sense that it brings you on a journey, not just a verse chorus verse. And I would have to say THE BEST Tool single yet both musically and lyrically.

The Let Down
04-15-2006, 12:23 AM

ROFL you're a fucking imbecile. "The Package" does not compare to Vicarious on any level. The Package has a SLOW buildup, Vicarious throws you right into the fire.

you're an idiot, you should have never signed up on this board.

paganman7
04-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Some of you people make me giggle:

10,000 days is the worst title EVER!
these track titles are awful!
the artwork is recycled Lateralus nonsense!
this track is commercial crap!

I'm genuinely confused at people's willingness to complain. I appreciate that people have a difference of opinion, but good god, relax!

I love Vicarious.

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Okay, so I listened to Vicarious, and do in fact have a first impression as a Tool listener since about '97.

My first impression was:

Whoa...

I'll try to make my second impression more accurate, maybe use a few adjectives here and there ;) and late include my overview of the song.

Mescaline
04-15-2006, 12:51 AM

you're an idiot. how long will it take for people to realise that experiences are completely fucking subjective..
you're doing exactly what the song is describing... you're listening to it vicariously.... you're trying to find some kind of meaning and feelings and emotions that don't exist. .. your chasing something that's not there...

kind of like the dude in the sober video clip.. he's looking for something he will never find !!!

look at it for what it is... and you will see IT JUST IS. NOTHING MORE NOTHING ELSE.
ISNESS.

3poundsoflove
04-15-2006, 12:57 AM
thanks for the reviews. This song worths the waiting. It's amazing, TOTAL (heavy, melodic, old, different, progressive, tecnic, alternative).

alucinar
04-15-2006, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=hatred in a jar]

--Like killed by the hungsman (???) (1)
--Drowned by the ocean
--Shot by his own son
--She knew of the poison

--We all feed
--On Tragedy
--It's the virtue of empire (????) (2)

QUOTE]
like killed by the husband (news headlines) (1)
Its like blood to a vampire (2)

chonus
04-15-2006, 01:26 AM
It seems like Maynard has forgotten he is in Tool.

Who does Maynard think he is? He better get some ack rite.

Havokb8
04-15-2006, 01:38 AM
So the consensus of all of you is that it is terrible and not shit compared to any other tool song? LOL. after the description this is exactly what i thought it would sound like. It combines my favorite elements from all the albums...You are all idiots to me, this isnt apc, this isnt anything thats even close to what ive heard before, indeed, this song OWNS. So if it doesnt sound exactly like songs from aenima it sucks since you all think lateralus sucks? Yes why progress into a new sound again? whatever go fuck yourselves and listen to your staind and nickelback cds, im going to go listen to vicarious again.

volfan911
04-15-2006, 03:58 AM
I very seriously doubt that Maynard, when writing vocals, ever says to himself, "wait, I don't want to sound too much like my other self."

But a good review nonetheless, thanks.

toology514
04-15-2006, 04:30 AM
ROFL you're a fucking imbecile. "The Package" does not compare to Vicarious on any level. The Package has a SLOW buildup, Vicarious throws you right into the fire.

you're an idiot, you should have never signed up on this board.

pwnd

Volrath
04-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Everybody knows it? No my friend, you belong to the incredibly small minority of people who think this song sucks. But the small minority always make their opinions sound the loudest...

Carbonatedgravy
04-15-2006, 04:39 AM
This is the first time I've really dug through this message board since hearing the song. I'm really surprised people aren't liking this. But whatever. Music is highly subjective. I'm just going to add some of my own thoughts about the lyrics.

This song is great because even though it can be read as highly political, it doesn't have to be by any means. This is a commentary on the nature of humanity and even life in general. There's this huge facade that deep down people are kind hearted and caring. That we give a shit whether other people live or die. This song simply breaks through all that. The death of people we don't know is meaningless. Even imagery that should be extremely disturbing and haunting, such as a mother holding her dying child... it's all meaningless at best.

This shit happens all the time, and if we aren't busy oggling it on our T.V. watching it for the sake of entertainment or drama, we're just ignoring it. It probably has to be that way. Otherwise life would be an endless tragedy since people die and suffer all the time. The song is partially about the filter we wear to cut that out of our thought processes.

But the song is also about the United States and international paranoia. People watch the news, get mentally into the war, live vicariously through the soldiers, terrorists, and victims. People download decapitation videos on the internet. Maybe we don't consciously love this stuff, but we partake of it anyway. It's drama and it's entertainment... and we don't talk about it. ...And it doesn't effect us.

The T.V. can be taken metaphorically or literally. It just represents distance and seperation.

Bottom line. Most misanthropic song EVER.

MacFoley
04-15-2006, 04:56 AM
well all i can say is.............................

ITS BEEN WORTH THE WAIT. THANKYOU TOOL FOR THE SOUNDS THAT COME OUT OF MY SPEAKERS.

i cant wait for the new album. there is so much melody on this song. its maynard being an artist. ok who thought that apc sounded like tool when they first heard them?

the reason being?

ITS THE NARD!

fuck me, whatever project the nard sings on will always be compared to whatever he has done.

but the music is tool, and nard sounds like he has grown/matured whatever and its for the better.

awesome song, awesome melody, traditional tool sound and i want more!

Kobi
04-15-2006, 05:24 AM
"Now correct me if im wrong but his melody in the chorus almost seems like a rip off of The Outsider from APC."
I agree with you. Probably already mentioned, but some rifs also remind "The Grudge." However, all in all, great song, heard it like 15 times, can't wait for the whole album.

STA
04-15-2006, 05:47 AM
I just sent this email off to a friend of mine. It contains my initial impressions about Vicarious after I'd listened to it six or seven times. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd just post this here. This isn't meant to be a polished review; it's more of an Andy King-style bunch of thoughts.

This song is indescribable, but I'll try.

It's quite heavy - much heavier than Lateralus - and it is FANTASTICALLY produced. Baressi has done a great job, and I no longer feel the need to fly to Portland to sort out Bob Ludwig. The vocals are just beneath the surface, the way they were on Aenima, and Maynard sounds fantastic.

The drums are mindblowing. Danny Carey is the best drummer in rock, period. I think the entire song is in 10/4, but it's hard to keep track. It's hard to keep track of ANYTHING that's going on in this song. It's seven minutes long and never repeats the same idea, despite the fact that there's really only one guitar/bass riff in the entire song. It's orchestrated like a fugue; minor changes each time around, with the guitar and bass playing off of one another. This is groundbreaking music. You'll hear; nothing else sounds like this, but it is unmistakably Tool. This will be SPECTACULAR live.

Now the bad news: I don't think I'll ever feel any emotional connection with this song. A lot of the lyrics are 3rd person plural or or second person plural or 1st person plural - "we" (as in, EVERYONE, not "you and I"), "you" as in "all of you" and "they". He's not speaking to me anymore, and he's not speaking to him or to her; he's speaking to us. I feel left out. Because the vocals are set back behind the music it's difficult to decipher the lyrics, but Maynard talks about violence (including violence on TV) and experiencing it vicariously from a distance. The "la la la la lie" is not as bad as I thought it would be. The ending is the climax: "Vicariously I / Live while the whole world dies / Much better you than I.

This is not eMotive, but the ideas are there, at least on the surface. I used to feel as though Maynard could somehow pierce my heart and bleed it into my brain; and I thought that's what he was trying to do. Now he seems more concerned about the bleeding of the world, though to his credit he does NOT appear to think there's a solution...something about us fooling ourselves into seeing "angels in the hearts of men"...this is not an optimistic song. "I need to watch things die / From a distance / Vicariously I / Live while the whole world dies / You all need it, too, don't lie."

It's made me cry four times already, but I imagine a lot of that is because of the build-up and anticipation; hearing this has been a release. Please come listen to this with me.

[For the record, I brought the song over to the friend to whom I sent this email and played it for her on her stereo; she could not have been less interested.]

Carbonatedgravy
04-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Nice review, though I don't understand how it could make you cry when you can't relate. I cried too, but I related to every word. Cool to read your thoughts though.

STA
04-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Nice review, though I don't understand how it could make you cry when you can't relate. I cried too, but I related to every word. Cool to read your thoughts though.

As I said, I think I cried because I've been waiting for this for so long. Also, I missed Maynard's voice, and it was powerful to hear it backed by the rest of Tool.

Carbonatedgravy
04-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Ah, okay. That makes sense. I was tearing up literally three seconds in. I didn't really understand why, but I think it was all realization. This wasn't another fake.

Karf
04-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Ah, okay. That makes sense. I was tearing up literally three seconds in. I didn't really understand why, but I think it was all realization. This wasn't another fake.
Oh yeah. When I was downloading it, I was like "Man, I bet this is just the doom intro again" but in the first few seconds when it started playing, I just teared up a little bit. And for the next few hours, I tried to figure out lyrics. And I can still hear it in my head. I love how it's the spiritial successor to Stinkfist. Great opener.

Myriad: Days To Come
04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
everyone is coming on here saying how much they hate "Vicarious" and how it doesnt sound like TOOL. "this isn't what i expected". im pretty sure in most of the reviews ive read, the reviewers have said that the new sound is different and its not what you would expect. TOOL themselves have said that they have been heavily influenced by Meshuggah. The new track, while having hints of past songs in it, does sound completely different. the lyrics are diffreent and there is a totally different feeling. i dont understand why everyone is so shocked at this track. in a way, we were told, or for those who hate the track "warned", about the new sound and yet you still dont get it. why do you people still post on here saying how much the new track sucks? honestly, if you dont like it, stop posting, i am really tired of reading your crap. especially all of these 15, 16 year olds that act like theyve been following TOOL forever and that they are these mystical little emo teenieboppers. if you dont have anything insightful to say about the new track or album, honestly, dont post it.

Hey man, don't feel bad about all of these self centered TDN dicks. They are the same people who say "Toolgasm" and think they are apart of something greater simply by the fact that the listen to Tool and Pink Floyd. I stand by you...

To the haters: If you were expecting Lateralus II, i pity you. For those of you were unbelievably blown away by the track because it was a side of Tool that you never expected... hats off to you.