PDA

View Full Version : Review for Vicarious from a Muso's point of view

xpandnz
04-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok
So everyone is either really upset or really pissed off right now about the new single.
Well....
Breathe...

Firstly,
Tool are one of the many bands that have their own sound. They keep the sound. Listen to all the albums and Jones guitar is always very much similiar sounding. This is so noticable from the beginning.
Justin has kept his bass sound. Danny has kept his drum sound. (Did you notice the Rotosound cymbal just as they rock on into the main riff?)
The only thing that has really changed is Maynard. His vocals seem so growly and throaty at the beginning. Now correct me if im wrong but his melody in the chorus almost seems like a rip off of The Outsider from APC. It seems like Maynard has forgotten he is in Tool. But, this is a new sound I welcome. I actually like it. Its a new sound that Tool has been working with. Think about it like this, as a muso, there is nothing more satisfying then getting a really hard out adreniline buzz while playing your own music. The build up in this song is really good and its Maynards meleody that causes me to get shivers up my spine. Im talking about the chorus at 6.32 in the song. He is singing his soul out guys, and hes singing about stuff that matters. Let me explain.

Watch the TV. Watch the news. Read the papers.
We are buying death and acting like it doesnt matter.
We are killing the earth with Green House gasses and no one can do anything about it. We are the ones who are watching the world die, through our TV.
Vicarious: Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another

Why cant we stop whats going on?
Because we choose not too.
I think that what maynard is singing about rings true. His lyrics are spot on. He's pissed off. So he should be. Look at the world today. Turn on the TV. See it for yourself.

back to the music.
As far as guitar riffs are concerned, Adam isnt doing anythng super fancy, He is doing what he does best, giving these songs that Signature sound. And its the same as Danny and Justin. If you want super progressive music go buy a Dream Theatre CD or go buy King Crimson. Tool is a progressive rock band that progresses in its sound. Not in its silly fancy riffs that could be done by Steve Vai or John Pertucci. As Danny quoted "I think we really are an alternative band."

So from my point of view, Maynard sings about something that has meaning.
The sound is seriously a new direction in the Tool sound. What were you expecting? Lateralus, the B sides?
And the album will be nothing short of mezmerising. I cant wait.

Oh by the way, see what lots of expectation does for a good artists? It makes true fans dissapointed. But not me. Thanks Tool. You made my day and many other Tool fans.

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 10:02 PM
You know, I think I would be down with "Lateralus, the B sides." That album was the shit. Now, I'm sure 10k Days will be too, but, fuck Lateralus was great. I would be happy if they just got bored some day and totally made a new album that was completely derivative of Lateralus. Lateralus II, if you will.

xpandnz
04-14-2006, 10:05 PM
You know, I think I would be down with "Lateralus, the B sides." That album was the shit. Now, I'm sure 10k Days will be too, but, fuck Lateralus was great. I would be happy if they just got bored some day and totally made a new album that was completely derivative of Lateralus. Lateralus II, if you will.

Yeah lateralus is for me the Gold Medal album
its a rush from beginning to end
Im sure this one will be too
Lets wait and see

praefector
04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
eh

lateralus I is enough for me...terrific album and one i still listen to regularly...but the themes are a bit tired

im ready for something new

vicarious isnt EXACTLY it...but its definitely a step toward what im expecting/hoping for