PDA

View Full Version : my opinion of the track

Tayloe41800
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
i liked this song the first time i heard it.....

but still a few things bother me about it....i know its Maynard singing, but no voice changes at all except at the end......

plus the music seems very (i am having a hard time finding the right word) basic/plain/ordinary.....it just doesnt sound like Tool in the sence that i think about songs like aenima and pushit and lateralus and prison sex and on and on and on....and those songs have a great many changes through the song.....plus the music was always a reflection of the lyrics or vise versa

like the waves of guitar crashing down during "learn to swim" or the amazing intense pounding of hard music that just blows me away everytime i hear it during the scream in H...."i dont mind"

things like that are definatly missing from the song....its just sounds like somthing any everyday rock band could produce......its missing the breakthrough sound that i would have expected from a Tool song...the inspiration i always feel from a Tool song is missing, even though i like the song....

weird isnt it? that i could like a song that doesnt move me at all...ya know, thats kind of it right there.....i like alot of music as do all of you, but that music is as ordinary as a metallica song......i always get a feeling of "somthing" when i hear a tool song.....and for me its just missing from this song.......

ALIvingGrudge
04-14-2006, 08:13 PM
i think you might want to run away as far as possible, because you're gunna get flamed like noone else

APT
04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I understand what your saying. You want more of a changing climax.

I like it how it is.

Tayloe41800
04-14-2006, 08:17 PM
i think you might want to run away as far as possible, because you're gunna get flamed like noone else

lol...your probably right, but i dont mind the flames...... :)

amitface
04-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Just wait for the entire album. It'll be good. I promise.

Dross
04-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Well I like it so far. It's kind of odd that Maynard is sound like Dave Mustaine all of the sudden, but it's definitely Tool and remember it's the "radio track". I disagree that it doens't have changes, it does. If you think about a band like Seether or something you can't say this song sounds like "the standard rock band".

Oh and while it dones't have the explosions in the middle, it does have quite a cool one at the end ;)

lopi
04-14-2006, 08:21 PM
i liked this song the first time i heard it.....

but still a few things bother me about it....i know its Maynard singing, but no voice changes at all except at the end......

plus the music seems very (i am having a hard time finding the right word) basic/plain/ordinary.....it just doesnt sound like Tool in the sence that i think about songs like aenima and pushit and lateralus and prison sex and on and on and on....and those songs have a great many changes through the song.....plus the music was always a reflection of the lyrics or vise versa

like the waves of guitar crashing down during "learn to swim" or the amazing intense pounding of hard music that just blows me away everytime i hear it during the scream in H...."i dont mind"

things like that are definatly missing from the song....its just sounds like somthing any everyday rock band could produce......its missing the breakthrough sound that i would have expected from a Tool song...the inspiration i always feel from a Tool song is missing, even though i like the song....

weird isnt it? that i could like a song that doesnt move me at all...ya know, thats kind of it right there.....i like alot of music as do all of you, but that music is as ordinary as a metallica song......i always get a feeling of "somthing" when i hear a tool song.....and for me its just missing from this song.......

I agree completely.

Bloody
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
One thing about your post i have to address is the part about it being basic and ordinary b/c it is so far away from basic or ordinary. there are many different parts to the song and many starts and stops in there. there is all types of tool funkyness in this song the instrumental is just amazing. And listening to the song Tool seems like they were in a different place emotionally for this compared to their previous work. They sound different. They have evolved. It's chill inducing.

Idiotica
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
i'm with you for now. still trying to get a grip on it. (perhaps a live version will help)

new millenium cyanide christ
04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree completely.

as do i...

i think the new track is very fuckin good, dont get me wrong...

HOWEVER, if you asked me whats more intense or emotional, this crap track or fuckin H, its a no brainer for me....

pushit, aenima......sorry but vicarious does not compare whatsoever...

doesnt mean the cd as a whole cant be better than aenima, but this is the impression i get from the single rite now

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
You know what it's missing? EMOTION.

Idiotica
04-14-2006, 08:50 PM
i don't want to start ripping this thing apart but i'd love it if maynard were a little more 'with the band' in several parts. He seems to be doing his own thing alot while the music plays something completely separate 'over there'.

edit: guess i'm trying say i'd like it to be more 'hooky' such as when he sings 'vicariously Iiiii' etc.

Trent Reznor
04-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Just let's hear the song a few days more, may be we'll find the emotion...

Colonel Pants
04-14-2006, 08:55 PM
You know what it's missing? EMOTION.

I agree
But I just thought then, that could be deliberate. The song is about the lack of emotion we feel when we see people dying by the hundreds on TV

Bloody
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I guess I'm just not on the same wavelength b/c I really felt that song emotionally

sambarugh
04-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I find the song to just be okay, the big groove at the start got my attention but it seems to maintain one sonic level and pace throughout most of the song regardless of the occasional angular rhythms. I only woke up at the end when Adam plays those quick licks. Vocally it wasn't so impressive either, phrasing wise, normally Maynard is more creative. Still highly anticipating the complete work though!

Idiotica
04-14-2006, 09:06 PM
hey good comments i hear the same things.

04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
HOWEVER, if you asked me whats more intense or emotional, this crap track or fuckin H, its a no brainer for me....

I don't think any tool track is better than H. With that said, if I think back to the first month I listened to Lateralus, I have to admit I was disappointed that none of the songs were better than H. Five years later, they still aren't "better" than H. but the differences that i considered "disappointing" in the past are now the things that I like the most about Lateralus. The differences between all the albums brings on different emotions in me. Now here's a new emotion, I can't wait to see what its like!

Alveolate
04-14-2006, 09:08 PM
who the fuck are we to tell tool, 'hey tool, that's untool of you.'?

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 09:12 PM
who the fuck are we to tell tool, 'hey tool, that's untool of you.'?
We can tell them whatever the fuck we want. They just don't have to listen.

Alcawhorlick
04-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I hear ya.

Although, I think the climax thing can happen during the course of the album instead of just for the song.

Intolerance and even Stinkfist didn't give me the feeling that you speak of either, but the songs shortly after them did more than any of the other songs on the albums. So who knows, maybe that's intentional, and maybe thats the way they designed the tracklist for this album. Hopefully Vicarious has a couple H's and forty six and two's behind it.

The grudge is a little different though. That had a lot of varying, builiding up, and had a pretty nice climactic ending.

intoaneye
04-14-2006, 09:15 PM
My opnion of vicarious

This is a different Tool song possibly album i believe. I fucking feel it. Because its in with the times. Its not a song that brings me back to the past but now with the fucking American sick antics and your I dont give a fuck and be like me persuasions. Its just like fuck. It brings out this anger I always keep in (and probably most of us do) and the pace of the song is driven hard where its like damnit do something.

This song reminds me of Guns n Roses, 'welcome to the jungle' a bit. (yes I said GNR) but with a hidden purpose. GNR in the 80s this song was like just balls out driven (but now a classic). Well this is 2006 and fuck the jungle keeps getting worse. And im not just talking about killing but all the mindless things we do to kill ourselves.

Seriously the song as a whole for me gives me something Ive been craving from the band. Its like bring me out of the wonderful Lateralus and let out a moment of disappointment. And also feels like its showing me some insight on aenima. And still the hidden message that is Tool.

A WalkAbout
04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
i hear you too, but it took me a couple of listens to the grudge when i first got lateralus to really appreciate it. my suggestion is that you listen to the song with the lyrics. btw i loved this song right away and cant wait for this album. that being said, now that i have one song, i can hold out till may 2nd, no problem. enjoy.

Natalie Portman
04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree
But I just thought then, that could be deliberate. The song is about the lack of emotion we feel when we see people dying by the hundreds on TV
That's a good way to look at it. But, look at Stinkfist. It deals with numbness, but that track is WAY full of emotion and dynamics. I'm not saying I don't dig Vicarious though. I still expect great things from this album.

A WalkAbout
04-14-2006, 09:18 PM
intoaneye put it very well. also remember, i got the feeling from the kabir post that this song is unique to the rest of the album so even if you dont totally love this song there is always wings for marie...

Wretched
04-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I think this song has a lot of emotion. It has a personal feel to it. The music and lyrics flow well. Do Maynards vocals take me away? Nah, but they are still nice. I think certain aspects could have been doner better but I honestly feel it is better then Schism, and some other singles (besides H. which - next to the grudge - is my favourite Tool son).

It's heavy, it's in your face, it's what we wanted. We got it.

brett caldwell
04-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I really dig the song. I'm so amazed how they divide up time, it's like a sort of sonic temporal code that once you become in sync with, the rhythm seems intuitive. I never knew 5/4 could feel like this. When I first heard it the most noticebale was the end. It hit me hard. After listening to it a bit, it's when they come in at 0:46 that grabs me first. I can't stop moving to that rhythm. It's so wicked. Really amazed and in awe... Deeply excited for the album.