PDA

View Full Version : The meshugga influence is apparent

LucidVision
04-14-2006, 06:59 PM
My god , tool stepped it up a notch on their complexity and its only their single! The time signatures in vicarious are crazy...

About 4 minutes into the song sounds exactly like messhugas guitar playing.

Song has a lot of old tool elements and new.... Danny carrey oh my god , this has got to be the most agressive , dynamic drumming ive ever heard from him, so crazy.

The thing that I am thankful for the most is the song still contains the "musical tension" that in my opinion is what makes Tool so brilliant. The song building up , until eventually hits the perfect climax releasing all the tension the song was building.

It still hasn't fully sunk in and changes each time I hear it but, my god... What a f*cking song...

Jimmeny
04-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, as I discussed with Mike Tyson, I don't hear the Meshuggah influence that strongly. Tool have always done crazy time signatures. It was Tool that inspired Meshuggah to do them, in many ways. I suppose in the pre-chorus it plays 2 bars of 5, then throws in a bar of 6, then a bar of 5 and then into the chorus which is in 5 just like the verse - throwing that extra beat in the bar of 6 is a very Meshuggah thing to do, it throws the groove out, which Tool haven't tended to do in the past. Also, they use a tremelo guitar bit in the break down for about 10 seconds, which is a theme in Catch 33, and this is all layered over a groove around a root note D (something which Tool have always done). I'm really really having to look for those Meshuggah influences; this is simply slightly heavier than Lateralus.

Systolic
04-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, as I discussed with Mike Tyson, I don't hear the Meshuggah influence that strongly. Tool have always done crazy time signatures. It was Tool that inspired Meshuggah to do them, in many ways. I suppose in the pre-chorus it plays 2 bars of 5, then throws in a bar of 6, then a bar of 5 and then into the chorus which is in 5 just like the verse - throwing that extra beat in the bar of 6 is a very Meshuggah thing to do, it throws the groove out, which Tool haven't tended to do in the past. Also, they use a tremelo guitar bit in the break down for about 10 seconds, which is a theme in Catch 33, and this is all layered over a groove around a root note D (something which Tool have always done). I'm really really having to look for those Meshuggah influences; this is simply slightly heavier than Lateralus.

Some of the chugga chugga palm mutes in the middle are VERY Meshuggah-esque.

MemphisDJ
04-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Excellent Download...

http://kendalljohnson.com

Enjoy!

awaking
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I defintly hear some Meshuggah with the drumming.
now let's all have a moment of silence for the fallen solider meshuggah who took one for the tdn by getting banned so we could alll have the leak.

mike tyson
04-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Excellent Download...

http://kendalljohnson.com

Enjoy!

stop plugging your fucking website.. it's all over the net.. your site isn't exclusive

magnolia
04-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah at like 2:50, the palm-muting definately has a meshuggah influence... but i bet we'll hear something a little more apparent in other songs.

Jimmeny
04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
That palm muting sounds exactly like 2:40 in the Grudge, *CHORD chug chug CHORD chug chug CHORD CHORD* or the palm muting at 4:15 in Parabola. It only sounds meatier because it's been produced better, not because Adam's gone 'oh, Meshuggah palm mute like THIS'. It's not a Meshuggah influence, it's just heavier. Meshuggah didn't invent palm muting, and Tool have been palm muting the same note with a motif over the top since, well, since Lateralus!

I don't think that when Adam refers to 'wow, that's totally a Meshuggah moment' he was really talking about a minutes worth of palm muting. Meshuggah, and Tool, are more than that.

Systolic
04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
That palm muting sounds exactly like 2:40 in the Grudge, *CHORD chug chug CHORD chug chug CHORD CHORD* or the palm muting at 4:15 in Parabola. It only sounds meatier because it's been produced better, not because Adam's gone 'oh, Meshuggah palm mute like THIS'. It's not a Meshuggah influence, it's just heavier. Meshuggah didn't invent palm muting, and Tool have been palm muting the same note with a motif over the top since, well, since Lateralus!

I don't think that when Adam refers to 'wow, that's totally a Meshuggah moment' he was really talking about a minutes worth of palm muting. Meshuggah, and Tool, are more than that.

It was the way it was layered with the drums to me. :)

Jimmeny
04-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Again, I refer to that section in the Grudge. I just think it's abit pointless Meshuggah get abit of exposure in recent years, Adam says he likes them and then suddenly a bit of palm muting in time with some tom work is clearly a Meshuggah influence.

Valediction
04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I definately have a much more positive reaction to it after a few listens to it than I did for Schism which i had to try fairly hard to like. I eventually saw how cool Lateralus was but it doesn't flow as easily for me as aenima did, and this seems better in that regard.

newrnewt
04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
i dont hear a great deal of meshuggah influence in vicarious and i didnt expect to, its the first single since lateralus days... vicarious was bound to be something slightly more relational to previous material (or slightly more what we are used to). i can imagine further tracks on the album will be far heavier/include dodgy time signitures. this track fucking rules as far as im concerned, i just cant wait till it goes in my car tomorow blarring out on my sound system.

newrnewt
04-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I definately have a much more positive reaction to it after a few listens to it than I did for Schism which i had to try fairly hard to like.

i agree. its grown on me the more times i listen to it. like every tool song has down (especially schism in-fact).

the fact that you can notice the clear difference between aenima and lateralus is awesome, even if it means u prefer one to another. i think every tool album has progressed and 'upped' the mark to such a degree that tool feel comfortable enough to share.

vinegar_tom
04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I think it's the trilling over the "chugga chugga" that aligns with the meshuggah sound.

praefector
04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
jesus christ people

meshuggah didnt invent fast downstroke pm riffs.

the only thing meshuggah about vicarious is the interplay between the guitars and drums. and even so, its still very much on the toolish side of that spectrum

its the FIRST SINGLE stop reading so much into it.

æternus-mens
04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
^^ well said prae