PDA

View Full Version : Why the leak is the best thing to happen to 10,000 days...

NoD
04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
JESUS LOVING CHRIST after my 5th listen this song keeps blowing me away higher and higher. Once you get used to the vocals this song really just numbs your brain. Maynard truly shines within Adam's storm, you just have to let it reach you. Now, had this not leaked, and everyone heard it on a timeline, their expectations would have been so much higher. This leak has not only shown people that Tool has unbelievably raised the bar again, but they're so much happier getting it before it was scheduled by the time it hits radio they'll be used to Tool's new sound. It wouldn't surprise if tool even leaked it themselves. This song sums up the entire Tool legacy in one song while adding the new album's vibe, it's just **********tastic.

Harry Manback
04-14-2006, 04:41 PM
It's not that good...

Seriously, it's fucking amazing, but saying it sums up the entire TOOL legacy in one song is a bit much.

NoD
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
It's not that good...

Seriously, it's fucking amazing, but saying it sums up the entire TOOL legacy in one song is a bit much.

It's a bold statement, but I stand behind it.

I really think it does some up their legacy as much as one song ever possibly could. I think that's why they wanted this song for the first single instead of The Pot. They wanted to remind the fans of what they are while introducing them to something new....it's fucking amazing.

oneredflag
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I love it - i'll have to buy 2 copis of 10k days, as the first will melt in my deck!!!!

Citizen Erased
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I really really love this song. At the moment, the fact that it's the first new material in 5 years is clouding my judgement.

dan
04-14-2006, 04:53 PM
"It sounds like a skippable Lateralus track."

Citizen Erased
04-14-2006, 04:53 PM

I don't think I agree with that.

Ganjalf
04-14-2006, 04:54 PM

haha :D

Tyro
04-14-2006, 04:55 PM
So strange, no wah, few effects, no wall of changing/effect laden feedback. So ... strange.

All comparisons to Aenima have offically died.

Tyro
04-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Probably the best summation thus far.

Navid
04-14-2006, 04:57 PM

A bit strong, but I'm not far removed from the opinion.

I don't think it measures up to works on the previous two albums - but, having said that, I will need time to absorb the song properly and - of course - listen to it in the context of the entire album.

Still, I don't seem to share the opinion of most people here. At the moment, I feel that Tool has accomplished far greater feats than this earlier in their carreer.

mike09
04-14-2006, 04:57 PM

What are you fuckin' high?

Ganjalf
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM

pretty sure hes being humorous, since you obviously missed it

dan
04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I am. I am not.

An answer for both of you, but who gets which?

Tyro
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
With that snappiness, I'm assuming you're a bit too sharp to be high. Heh.

mike09
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I am. I am not.

An answer for both of you, but who gets which?

lol

Navid
04-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, regardless, I wasn't being humorous. Just expressing a tentative opinion, since thats all I could have justifiably formulated at this early stage.

Briznitch
04-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I was high when I heard it and it kept getting better and better and better and better............... still is. Fucking awesome track for sure.

fripptronic
04-14-2006, 05:10 PM
after my first listen i say...a nice slow burner. this will be their blues album for sure.

the instrumentation in the song is deceptively tricky. probably one of the most complex they've ever done. i'd say it's more crimson than meshuggah (my username points to a bias), or a mix of the two perhaps.

it's a very groovy song...

eonphi
04-14-2006, 05:16 PM
it'll be nice to hear what tool/blair has to say about this over on toolband

svet-am
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
it'll be nice to hear what tool/blair has to say about this over on toolband

the won't say a damn thing. that seems to be their official response to any major release/leak/news....just stick their head in the sand and pretend nothing is going on.

mike09
04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
the won't say a damn thing. that seems to be their official response to any major release/leak/news....just stick their head in the sand and pretend nothing is going on.

This comment reminds me of the last 2 new South Park episodes.

35"4
04-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Its good, not great. Probably be a big hit single.

It seems flatter than most of their past 4 discs. Justin isn't making as ethereal a sound as he usaully does, and Danny seems more focused on banging out the rhythm as hard as possible. Adam has been listening to meshuggah for sure. I like the vocals, mostly, reminds me of Aenima a bit.

Some of the weaker parts are the "La la" area towards the end, and some of the needlessly percussive parts shortly before said la laing. Lyrics are ok, kind of APC is, but I like them well enough.

I do enjoy the complexity, it comes across as a really dense hunk of riff for the most part, but again, it seems flat. Lots going on in a small area, with Justin and Adam going back and forth and Danny filling like crazy, but less ambient extras all around.

I hope the rest of the tracks are less about hooks and such linear aggression, and move more toward the Lateralus or Aenima type of slow burning, seeing pissed off.

I like it, though. Its 4 stars on the Itunes now, probably drop to 3 when the newness wears off and I hear the rest of the disc.

fripptronic
04-14-2006, 05:40 PM
This comment reminds me of the last 2 new South Park episodes.

classic episodes. they torn the family guy writing staff apart. i loved it.

manatees....brilliant.

praefector
04-14-2006, 05:40 PM
anyone who doubted tool and now doesnt solely becaues they finally got to hear a song is a retard who really needs to get over themselves

praefector
04-14-2006, 05:41 PM
classic episodes. they torn the family guy writing staff apart. i loved it.

manatees....brilliant.

cowabunga mother fucker

fault
04-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Its good, not great. Probably be a big hit single.

It seems flatter than most of their past 4 discs. Justin isn't making as ethereal a sound as he usaully does, and Danny seems more focused on banging out the rhythm as hard as possible. Adam has been listening to meshuggah for sure. I like the vocals, mostly, reminds me of Aenima a bit.

Some of the weaker parts are the "La la" area towards the end, and some of the needlessly percussive parts shortly before said la laing. Lyrics are ok, kind of APC is, but I like them well enough.

I do enjoy the complexity, it comes across as a really dense hunk of riff for the most part, but again, it seems flat. Lots going on in a small area, with Justin and Adam going back and forth and Danny filling like crazy, but less ambient extras all around.

I hope the rest of the tracks are less about hooks and such linear aggression, and move more toward the Lateralus or Aenima type of slow burning, seeing pissed off.

I like it, though. Its 4 stars on the Itunes now, probably drop to 3 when the newness wears off and I hear the rest of the disc.

I think this is the most accurate summary so far. It's very good, but it is also very linear to what I'd normally expect from the band. It does improve with age though :)

dan
04-14-2006, 06:25 PM
You're going to take the opinion of an iTunes user?

badshirt
04-14-2006, 06:25 PM
The peak is amazing as always in a Tool song.

After 3rd listen I dig even more.

thepatient_10k
04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
after 5th listen, i like it about 200 times more then i did the first time i heard it. The first time i heard it i was just tryin to figure out wtf was goin on..

Andy DV
04-14-2006, 06:36 PM
i dont know how many dozens of times ive listened to it already...i really enjoy it.

it still has to be said that its certainly not the dark, layered, intense, epic sound that im hoping to get out of the rest of the album. im nothing but optimistic and its obvious that were going to see the best of danny carey on this album.

i fucking love the bells.

SomethingSpecial
04-14-2006, 07:00 PM
wow, I still haven't heard it yet. SHould I wait it out? Be patient? Nah, fuck that. Someone PM me with a link.

morgaine
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I think this is the most accurate summary so far. It's very good, but it is also very linear to what I'd normally expect from the band. It does improve with age though :)

I completely agree with both of you. While I really, really enjoy this song and am ecstatic to hear new Tool that I definitely like, it is pretty linear and has that "radio friendly" feel to it, as others have said. That leads me to believe the rest of the album will (hopefully) be even better than this song, complete with some of those epic, phenomenal, mind-blowing Tool songs we all love! May 2nd can't come soon enough.