PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Upon looking up the definition of vicarious i found that it is

Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: "read about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills. "

now that we have been decifering some of the lyrics it is very evident that the Television is the main point behind this song.....almost as though we are dependant on it, and we thrive on the negativity that it provides us with... we are sort of being spoonfed what to believe and how to think......

the tragedies that are shown to us make us feel good, sort of like a junkie that has just received his/her fix....

i know this is sort of thrown together fairly quickly, but some thoughts would be appreciated.....have a look in the lyrics thread and try to add to what im saying...

thanks

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 04:46 PM
"Cuz I need to watch things die, from a distance
Vicariously, I watch as the whole world dies"

People love seeing bad things happen....sure why the hell else is Nascar so popular as it is....we wait for the accidents.....

But, we don't want it to happen directly to us....or anyone close to us....

we need to experience it "vicariously" or through someone elses misfortune....

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Its about the US Society, mass media.. ect

Virginity Trey
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
you guys are idiots!
Its about the US society, you feed of death

Well we watch too much TV too.

Hodge
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
you guys are idiots!

opinions are like assholes bro

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 04:49 PM
yeah, thats what im talking about....we get american channels here in canada and there is a clear difference between their media and ours....its like black and white, day and night.....

the american television is wrought with fear

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:50 PM
yeah, thats what im talking about....we get american channels here in canada and there is a clear difference between their media and ours....its like black and white, day and night.....

the american television is wrought with fear

exactly.
and thats exactly wht hes saying.
no need to look up vicarious in the dictionary, just listen.
its a very politcal song

Florida_Mike
you guys are idiots!

You're not that far removed, friendly neighbor to the north :)

As a lot of other people have said, its political without actually being political. Walking a very thin line...

Tyro
Indeed. Nice find/application of the word Vicarious.

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:51 PM
You're not that far removed, friendly neighbor to the north :)

As a lot of other people have said, its political without actually being political. Walking a very thing line...

possibly.. and not all americans, sorry for passing that judgement.
I'll say, its US media and US propaganda.... that brainwashes the masses and most americans (the masses) feed of it.....

Citizen Erased
04-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I like the news headlines idea to the lyrics. And I agree with the US media propaganda notion. Definately.

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I like the news headlines idea to the lyrics. And I agree with the US media propaganda notion. Definately.

yeah, I mean aside from the lyrics being really really low, its quite obvious what hes saying... far more obvious than most tool songs :-)

Florida_Mike
04-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Just something to keep in mind here, the media may be the medium...but ultimately they feed us all what we want to see. Don't go pointing fingers too quickly...

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 04:55 PM
i sort of like the way they present there thoughts in the song.....

it seems to be more subtle than say the SOADs and RAGEs ....

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Just something to keep in mind here, the media may be the medium...but ultimately they feed us all what we want to see. Don't go pointing fingers too quickly...

thats what maynard is saying!
Aside from passing judgement (feeding us what WE WANT to see)
I dont belive that, and neither does Maynard!

he and I are not part of "we"

Citizen Erased
04-14-2006, 04:56 PM
It is fairly subtle, as I would say the average person will not know what vicariously means. The chorus bit to the song is the key give away to the songs meaning, I think.

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 04:57 PM

yes....the media is owned by these "higher powers" which obviously makes them one sided, whereas most people believe the news reports to be objective.....but there is a veil there that most cannot seee through

khemystri
04-14-2006, 04:57 PM
What a great song!!!!

Florida_Mike
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe you're not. You'll notice he says "we all feed on tragedy" not "you all feed on tragedy."

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
yes....the media is owned by these "higher powers" which obviously makes them one sided, whereas most people believe the news reports to be objective.....but there is a veil there that most cannot seee through

right but ultimatley, he is not saying the MEDIA, he is saying you,them,I,we (most) people want it, feed off it, live vicariously off other peoples misfortunes.
hences, it is very political while being political..

remember shock and awe? remember cnn every minute of every day? the war in iraq...

why cant we just admit it!

eleven11
04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Maybe you're not. You'll notice he says "we all feed on tragedy" not "you all feed on tragedy."

your correct, see my last post :-)

layersbeyondimagination
04-14-2006, 05:00 PM
teleincision seems to make sense now.

Briznitch
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
The only thing I can think or say is Holy Fuck. Simple as that.

I went against my original idea of waiting for the album. Not exactly an easy thing to hold out on. WELL worth it. Damn this is excellent shit. Well done.

I need to watch things die from a distance.

Scrotophagus
Similar theme to the Roger Waters album Amused to Death.

I like.

WearingVans501s
right but ultimatley, he is not saying the MEDIA, he is saying you,them,I,we (most) people want it, feed off it, live vicariously off other peoples misfortunes.
hences, it is very political while being political..

remember shock and awe?

yeah, thats what i sort of stated in my first couple posts in this thread.....what i am trying to say is that it all begins with the onset of these "headlines," it is the medias fault in the first place.....if they weren't so biased and intent on keeping control of the masses then there wouldnt be a problem in the first place.....

i think hes trying to say that WE, the masses, are the only ones that can break the cycle of WANTING tragedy, and the media PROVIDING it for us

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 05:02 PM
teleincision seems to make sense now.

yes, and i fear that i may ruin an otherwise decent thread by stating that the teleincision title may have had some credibility to it in the past....

eleven11
04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
yeah, thats what i sort of stated in my first couple posts in this thread.....what i am trying to say is that it all begins with the onset of these "headlines," it is the medias fault in the first place.....if they weren't so biased and intent on keeping control of the masses then there wouldnt be a problem in the first place.....

i think hes trying to say that WE, the masses, are the only ones that can break the cycle of WANTING tradegy, and the media PROVIDING it for us

possibly, or as a buddy just noted to me, perhaps he is saying that.. or he is also saying, that by feeding off that agression which torments the rest of the world,, we have a need to live that way here and live vicariously

Florida_Mike
04-14-2006, 05:04 PM
It becomes a little "chicken/egg" to me. The media sells us what we want, but would we want it if they didn't put up in our face. Which came first, ya know?

layersbeyondimagination
04-14-2006, 05:04 PM
yes, and i fear that i may ruin an otherwise decent thread by stating that that title may have had some credibility to it in the past....

thats basically what i meant. they rpolly let out some fake titles, but it did have some relevance to the album. aladraia?

kyyuulle
04-14-2006, 05:05 PM
i think the whole thing is...

maynard said that they are dissapointed where the way shit is going in the world, i think everyone is. believe it or not, we're in a time where anyone could just say fuck it and press the button.

i think maynard is tired of maybe hiding the meaning and starting to dull it down for the people who really don't "get it" about tool, trying to help them out, while still mocking them...

this song is basically a history and sociology lesson in itself

you can tell they're pissed off

eleven11
04-14-2006, 05:06 PM

maynard said that they are dissapointed where the way shit is going in the world, i think everyone is. believe it or not, we're in a time where anyone could just say fuck it and press the button.

i think maynard is tired of maybe hiding the meaning and starting to dull it down for the people who really don't "get it" about tool, trying to help them out, while still mocking them...

great post :-)

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 05:09 PM

yes....good post....
i think that this more pissed off political sense is a lot better than that Emotive crap that APC tried.....i bet this entire album will "get to the point" and be much more "in your face"

Unstuck in Time
04-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Similar theme to the Roger Waters album Amused to Death.

I like.
That was going to be my comment! :)

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
if these theme sticks with the rest of the album then i definetly don't mind the political aspect of it all.............i love the anger

WearingVans501s
04-14-2006, 05:26 PM
they sort of had the same theme in stinkfist as well....even in the video....with those poeple needing their "drug" which was that weird lookin thing they would breathe out of.....also the smokebox on the television......

i can't wait for the rest of the album.....especially the real meaning behind 10000 Days...