PDA

View Full Version : Live Stereoscopic Theory

The Local Sitar Player
04-14-2006, 04:47 AM
I know every first thread gets ripped but i felt like I should voice this opinion/question.

Well as we know Tool always has the visual elements of the show as vital counterparts to the music. I was just watching the footage for The Patient live and realized the two counter videos above MJK. Could it be possible for the new live tour they could use Stereoscopic Video footage? Im not a photographer and im not sure if thats plausable but it seems like an interesting concept.

Please be gentle.

Boozy Eulogist
04-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Nifty idea, but I think that would require too much focus on the fan's part and could really take away from the concert experience.

Foamy
04-14-2006, 05:14 AM
I doubt it. Nobody is going to squint their eyes at a video screen for 2 hours.

The Local Sitar Player
04-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Well what about the video for Vicarious? Is it possible that could be stereo-scopic. I think that'd be pretty wicked.

Foamy
04-14-2006, 05:26 AM
I think it would be pretty dangerous.

Semp
04-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Another problem with stereo scopic video is that you'd have to make sure everyone was at the right angle to the screens to get a true stereoscopic image. If you're off to one side, you won't be able to do it. So pretty much on the central half of people in the venue would be able to do it. Plus multiple levels like the balcony and circle would probably have a hardtime getting the correct angle.

And then there's the health and safety considerations of having a whole bunch of people wandering around in the pit, crosseyed.

tangent
04-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Sooo what about this then:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/tangentfairy/brain.gif

Chris_Brightwell
04-15-2006, 12:44 AM
They should just do an IMAX tour and give everyone those funkyass polarized glasses.

Goldfoot
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
If the video is stereoscopic, it better look good without doing the eye thing because I'm not going to.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 02:55 AM
If the video is stereoscopic, it better look good without doing the eye thing because I'm not going to.

In regards to Stereoscopic stuff, I am a photographer, and have a fairly decent collection of strange and unusual concepts. I have never seen it done, but I am curious about what would happen if it were to work. 2 stereoscopig moving images being played simultaneously, so that basically, instead of seeing a non moving thing, you are actually seeing a moving object being projected, that you are turning into a 3D moving picture with only the use of your eyes. Probabluy makes no sense, but I thought it might have been worth bringing up.

Goldfoot
04-15-2006, 03:25 AM
I know what it would mean, but I'm not going to fuck with my eyes for an entire video just for it to look 3D. All I'm saying is IF this were the case, that I hope it looks good as two images.

Unifaun
04-15-2006, 06:22 AM
ahahahahaha, thousands of people all crossing their eyes

orange.juice
04-15-2006, 07:50 AM
They should just do an IMAX tour and give everyone those funkyass polarized glasses.

thepatient_10k
04-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I think it would be pretty dangerous.

lmao

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 02:35 PM
lol @ people who think that they'll use stereoscopic imagery that extensively

thepatient_10k
04-15-2006, 02:45 PM
steroscopic images at concerts would be no fun

CallofCthulhu
04-15-2006, 03:42 PM
I dont think the distances would be right for a large live image.

Vicenza
04-17-2006, 12:57 PM
whatever they use i'm sure will do fine. every tool show is amazing in great part from the synchronized visuals.

khemystri
04-18-2006, 07:48 AM
In regards to Stereoscopic stuff, I am a photographer, and have a fairly decent collection of strange and unusual concepts. I have never seen it done, but I am curious about what would happen if it were to work. 2 stereoscopig moving images being played simultaneously, so that basically, instead of seeing a non moving thing, you are actually seeing a moving object being projected, that you are turning into a 3D moving picture with only the use of your eyes. Probabluy makes no sense, but I thought it might have been worth bringing up.

Not only has it been done, its hanging around in one of these threads
(an example of a paper airplane circling something)

If I remember correctly

http://www.ray3d.com/ultralightjpg.html