PDA

View Full Version : 1 and 1 are 1-11 so...

syzygy
03-15-2003, 02:39 PM
You can`t really get what the song is really about because it is some personal expiriance maynard had and making suggestions can`t get you anywhere.But this song has one of the most expressing lyrics and it should be looked and understood from that sight.As an emotion.It`s certenly about some some connection two people had and most probably-friendship.1 and 1 are 1=the whole as (11)-the two together.And the songs describes the moment when the two ones separate...
P.S.
And I agree that Jimmy stands for Jimmy Herbert Keenan...

Druzzel Dermgo
03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Okay, I might sound like a complete moron...but who is Jimmy herbert Keenan? yes, I note the Keenan...but who is he?

Okay, as for the personal experience, yes. Though i don't think it has anything to do with a male...more of Maynard and a woman more likely...though his bouncing back and forth with talking to a woman, or being a male speaking, and talking to a male...I don't know what he's trying to say...but it's deep - I don't think anyone but Tool knows. If even all but the writer knows. The holding of the light, waiting for me to return home....or living under a dead Ohio sky - anyone who'e looked at any of Maynard's bios knows that he lived in Ohio for a while...maybe he left a girl behind when he left. Either way...more power to anyone who finds spiritual healing in this song - it's really powerful...

LearnedStudent
04-10-2003, 08:11 PM
The song seems to be about a painful time in a person's life. This person has chosen to ignore the feelings from this time, or maybe block them out all together. Until, later in his life, he realizes he has to accept this period in order to become a whole person. That is what the song is about. Speculate all you want about who it is specifically about.

Maynard writes about simple ideas, but he hides them in complex metaphores.

Digital Dreamer
04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Druzzel Dermgo
Okay, I might sound like a complete moron...but who is Jimmy herbert Keenan? yes, I note the Keenan...but who is he?
James herbert keenan was Maynard's birth name guy

SoM
04-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Digital Dreamer
James herbert keenan was Maynard's birth name guy

By the way, why did Maynard change his name? Anyone know?

Perceval
04-26-2014, 02:33 PM
By the way, why did Maynard change his name? Anyone know?
I don't, but...
After the death of his father, at the age of 11, Edward Crowley started using name "Aleister".

Th1rd Eye
04-29-2014, 04:35 AM
I don't, but...
After the death of his father, at the age of 11, Edward Crowley started using name "Aleister".

Hi Guys
I could be way off here, but i seem to lean towards this song also being about his mother. didn't she fall ill when he was around 11 yrs old?
Or did he leave home around that time?
I recall reading something similar, very powerful song lyrically - And i can sort of almost relate when i hear him speak of 1 and 1 are 1 (I lost my mom not too long ago, and that line gives me goose bumps thinking about how "connected" I felt with her)
also where he says "Hold your light, Eleven, Lead me through each gentle step" "Reunite, And both move on together"

maybe referring to the day they will meet once more in the afterlife?
The song Wings for Marie Pt 2 also refers to this "light" and this song is known to be about his mother

"And this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me
I'm gonna let it shine
to guide you safely on your way.

Your way home..."

Th1rd Eye
04-29-2014, 04:39 AM
and here we have powerful lyrics, which to me, points to his mother leaving him and then meeting up later?

"Hold,
Your light,
Eleven lead me through each gentle step,
By step,
By inch by loaded memory 'till,
One,
And one are one,
Eleven.
So glow,
Child,
Glow.
I'm heading back home..."

Mr. Dilkington
04-29-2014, 05:00 AM
this is the only song whose lyrics remain cryptic to me. I can relate to every tool track except this one.

Esteban Crespo
04-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Maynard's mother had a stroke when he was eleven. I think this is him going back and seeing that boy. And, as it's been said in some places, I also think of a connection between this song, "Judith" by APC (Judith Marie was his mother's name) and Wings for Marie/10000 days. jimmy is about the fearful child let alone...Judith is the anger at the gods, or god when she died several years later. And finally, Wings...is the "letting go", where he finds peace. By the way, the time passed between his mother's stroke and her death was 27 years (about 10000 days)

Mr. Dilkington
04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
yeah, I know what it's "about," intellectually, but i can't connect, viscerally

Th1rd Eye
04-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Maynard's mother had a stroke when he was eleven. I think this is him going back and seeing that boy. And, as it's been said in some places, I also think of a connection between this song, "Judith" by APC (Judith Marie was his mother's name) and Wings for Marie/10000 days. jimmy is about the fearful child let alone...Judith is the anger at the gods, or god when she died several years later. And finally, Wings...is the "letting go", where he finds peace. By the way, the time passed between his mother's stroke and her death was 27 years (about 10000 days)

You couldn't have said it any better bro.....

Esteban Crespo
04-30-2014, 04:52 AM
yeah, I know what it's "about," intellectually, but i can't connect, viscerally

Oh, ok...sorry, I didn't understand you meant that.

Esteban Crespo
04-30-2014, 04:53 AM
You couldn't have said it any better bro.....

Thanks bro, really.

The Villain
06-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Now that is an excellent explanation, I agree with Th1rd Eye.

Esteban Crespo
06-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Now that is an excellent explanation, I agree with Th1rd Eye.
I really thank you. Since my english is not so good, I didn´t know if my point was clear enough. I'm glad I made it.