PDA

View Full Version : First review? Rock Sound (UK)

Nebel
04-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Before posting this I should tell you this is not completely legit, since no one who has the magazine is able to confirm this but I got this from Fourth Eye who got it from Tool Army.

And another thing, if you wanna go in with an open mind you shouldn't read the review (not that it spoils anything, it doesn't say anything we don't already know).

Here it is anyway...

TOOL
10,000 Days
The expectations built up from the five year absence would be too much for most bands to bear, but as 10,000 Days reminds us, TOOL are not like most bands. From the outset, it is clear that the LA prog-metal pioneers have found another notch on their guitar amps, but the increase in volume and power has not been made at the expense of their usual complexity. Although never a cheery soul at the best of times, Maynard James Keenans lyrical tack has not been this bleak since their earliest days, but bad times and horrible thoughts have again led TOOL to some great music. Another triumph conjured with adversity rather than against it.
8/10
Hardeep Phull

Nebel
04-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Anyone with the name Hardeep Phull, has to be a dick

Goldfoot
04-11-2006, 12:17 AM
8/10????????

Blasphemy.

Nebel
04-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't worry, Aenima and Lateralus received the same type of scores yet they're amazing

Havokb8
04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Conclusion -> Crap Magazine with shitty reviewers.

8/10 what an idiot

hellboy1975
04-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I preferred my review. Which one's more convincing?

10,000 Days review by Hellboy
After 5 years of silence, the boys from Tool have finally come good with their latest release 10,000 Days. Right from the opening track Vicarious, with it’s polyrythms and distorted vocals, through to the stunning conclusion in Viginti Tres, this CD will rock your world.

A heavier side of Tool is shown this time around, with Danny and Adam taking notes from their heroes in Meshuggah and The Melvins, especially during the bone crunching Rosetta Stoned.

Recruiting Joe Baressi behind the desk for this effort, 10,000 Days has the usual high production standards, though this time around the guitars rise above the mix, relegating Maynards unique vocal to merely another instrument. Baressi’s influence also shows in Adam’s guitar style, with a whole lot more experimentation, including the Talk Box on the title track.

It’s been a long wait, and a long road, but one well worth travelling.
10/10

haich
04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
perfect.

Nebel
04-11-2006, 12:28 AM
lol

Boozy Eulogist
04-11-2006, 12:30 AM
This better be one of those corner-of-the-page reviews.

Useless.

Idiotica
04-11-2006, 12:30 AM
you forgot to say how it is the sequel to lateralus ... he comes the flood

mattw
04-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Interesting... thanks for the review!

Although some may be 'disappointed' by his 8/10 socre, I can't see anything negative in his review - it's fairly straight-forward and fits with what we have heard so far.

If his score of 8/10 was a mark at uni, it would get a 'Distinction' where I'm from, which isn't too bad for an album etc...

I would like to see, by comparison, what albums the reviewer has given 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10... and also exactly what he thought of Aenima and Lateralus.

fault
04-11-2006, 01:21 AM
I also think its a great review. 8/10 is pretty high, and bets on this guy isn't a rabid fan like us. Tool are angry again... sweet :)

EDIT : He's probably made this judgement also on a single listen. That makes it all the more impressive.

maneva
04-11-2006, 01:29 AM
does anyone know what this magazine rated aenima and/or lateralus?

Rav
04-11-2006, 01:41 AM
The magazine is usually very very good and extremely well written. I'm not bothered by the review score, more by the fact that review tells you very little, if anything about the sound of the album. Rocksound usually dedicates larger reviews to big albums, such as 10,000 Days.

Also not forgetting that Hardeep Phull writes for several other music magazines including NME, so this review might not actually appear in Rock Sound at all.

Citizen Erased
04-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Rock Sound is one of the better magazines in the UK, but that's not a very extensive review. I'd wait 2 days and see what happens.

Nemesis
04-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Do reviewers just give a CD 1 or 2 listens and then review?

Tool needs 10-12 listens, then review.

Not that I take much notice of reviews.

drumtool
04-11-2006, 02:22 AM
TOOL
10,000 Days
The expectations built up from the five year absence would be too much for most bands to bear, but as 10,000 Days reminds us, TOOL are not like most bands. From the outset, it is clear that the LA prog-metal pioneers have found another notch on their guitar amps, but the increase in volume and power has not been made at the expense of their usual complexity. Although never a cheery soul at the best of times, Maynard James Keenans lyrical tack has not been this bleak since their earliest days, but bad times and horrible thoughts have again led TOOL to some great music. Another triumph conjured with adversity rather than against it.
8/10
Hardeep Phull

this is a great review and probably not from a tool fan, and almost all good music comes from troubled times you guys are the dicks for bagging this review, if you cant see he is praising tool you are not tool fan just someone looking to rag on someone else for knowing more than you. we havent heard the album yet he has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiotica
04-11-2006, 02:30 AM
huh?

orange.juice
04-11-2006, 03:50 AM
using a point system in reviews is pointles. Fuck, reviews are pointless.

Mr. Tool
04-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Pretty short review, doesn't inspire confidence in the writer...

Reviews are useless anyway, it's only 1 persons opinion. And there's only 1 persons opinion that matters and that's your own. I know i'm gonna love it!

Nemesis
04-11-2006, 04:09 AM
It's gotta be bullshit, he's gotta be reviewing it from his one listen at the listening party.

For such an anticipated release, to get aparagraphs or so is bullshit.

Anti-Xian
04-11-2006, 04:58 AM
all reviews we've read are not real...not to mention they dont say shit.

hellboy just posted a best review i've read since andy king's fake review.

STA
04-11-2006, 05:24 AM
Bleak, angry Maynard is back? Sweet.

5th Eye
04-11-2006, 05:27 AM
Sounds good.

Light Reflections
04-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Such insight!

Fap
04-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Since music is the most subjective medium as far as quality, I don't put any weight on others' opinions. If that were the case, I'd think Coldplay was the best band ever since the media seems to love their stuff.

That being said, the review doesn't even mention specific songs or things about why he feels what he does- so he is indeed a crappy reviewer. =]

Bogart
04-11-2006, 06:18 AM
using a point system in reviews is pointles. Fuck, reviews are pointless.

Pretty much sums it up

jAkUp
04-11-2006, 06:31 AM
LMAO!

I love how you guys say, OMG what a retard, yet NONE of you have heard the album!!!

Semp
04-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Here is my predicted NME review of 10,000 Days:

Angsty math-metallers Tool are back after a 5 year break with their latest offering, 10,000 Days. The album features guitars and drums, and some intricate time signatures but no Pete Doherty, so we're gonna give this album 2/10

Vlad
04-11-2006, 07:13 AM
This guy's an asshole, just like the one who gave Lateralus a 2/10 at an "indie" music site.

STA
04-11-2006, 07:32 AM
This guy's an asshole, just like the one who gave Lateralus a 2/10 at an "indie" music site.

Are you talking about the Pitchfork Media review? Is it just me, or is that review thoroughly incoherent? Part of me wants to say it's a joke.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/tool/lateralus.shtml

praefector
04-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Here is my predicted NME review of 10,000 Days:

Angsty math-metallers Tool are back after a 5 year break with their latest offering, 10,000 Days. The album features guitars and drums, and some intricate time signatures but no Pete Doherty, so we're gonna give this album 2/10

well played. lol

Scrotophagus
04-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Are you talking about the Pitchfork Media review? Is it just me, or is that review thoroughly incoherent? Part of me wants to say it's a joke.

Amen. I'd go even further than "incoherent" though.

I haven't been to the Pitchfork site since that horrendous clustershit of a review was posted. That site lost all credibility for me after I read that, not that it had much to begin with. I've never wanted to punch a reviewer more. I mean, if someone as a reviewer hates something, give VALID reasons why, not some retarded condescending cunt drivel.

STA
04-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Amen. I'd go even further than "incoherent" though.

I haven't been to the Pitchfork site since that horrendous clustershit of a review was posted. That site lost all credibility for me after I read that, not that it had much to begin with. I've never wanted to punch a reviewer more. I mean, if someone as a reviewer hates something, give VALID reasons why, not some retarded condescending cunt drivel.

I could not agree more.

sacredsubjective
04-11-2006, 07:44 AM
well played. lol

Don't forget 'grey walls of sound' (Aenima review) Fucking Wankers! That magazine reads like a 'Strokes/Arctic Monkeys/Franz F'ing Ferdinand' fanzine. They also referred to Tool fans as 'mental' after someone wrote in to complain about them labling Tool nu-metal

They're all cunts out there!

polarforsker
04-11-2006, 08:05 AM
That review is terrible it says nothing we don't know already, nothing specific and actually nothing at all. It could have been written without even listening to the album...

The pitchforkmedia review is hilarious, they made a similar review of a NINs the Fragile... in fact the NIN review is even better - makes me laugh thinking of it :)

embracingyou
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Rock Sound reviewers are shit usually... I wouldn't got by the rating.

Gajarigon
04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Everyone can come up with such a review. Maybe it's authentic, maybe not, who cares, it's not like he says something new. And ratings are stupid, taste differs.

Fap
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM

It's painful to read. Half of the review is his life story, and he's trying too hard to be witty. It's like reading the most mundane Blair newsletter.

Citizen Erased
04-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Just wait until the 13th.

Alistair_Carson
04-11-2006, 01:06 PM

What the...

How the fuck does 50 Cent's CD get a 7.0 rating and yet Lateralus gets a mere 1.9?

Pathetic.

Xanatos
04-11-2006, 01:07 PM
This thread makes me lol.

tcM_Emperor
04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Bleak, angry Maynard is back? Sweet.

You sure you're not going to start crying? They said George W. Bush plays a big role in igniting the new anger.

Spongebob
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
they have also let a new zealand music magazine called "Rip it Up" review the new album: http://www.ripituponline.com/

i dont have the magazine so i cant tell you whats in the article, might be able to soon, but i just dont care, all these reviews are all the same.

Ariel Sharon
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope people realise that the Lateralus review is a joke.

Spongebob
04-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I hope people realise that the Lateralus review is a joke.

pitchforkmedia really hate tool, and the mars volta. my friend who is the top music reviewer in new zealand also hates tool and the mars volta. but yeah, he has a lot better taste in music than a lot of the opinions in pitchforkmedia, some of them are ok.
but at the end of the day reviews are pretty fucking useless. i find if i am given to much opinion about a specific piece of music, art, film whatever, by reading reviews or hearing opinions elsewhere, when i go to try it out for myself i struggle to judge or enjoy it properly. thats why i dont want to read reviews on this new tool album, and its probably why i shouldnt be on this board trying to find out all this info before it comes out in the store, its only gonna spoil the magic moment. i have done it before with lots of other albums. anticipation will ruin the experience i reckon.

i dont have anything else to do though. anyone else here kinda feel guilty for haning arounbd here reading these threads? anyone else share my feeling that they like tool too much to rosk potential damage to the ultimate musical experience event; the actual release of the album in only a few weeks?

Drozz
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
8/10 what an idiot

So...you've heard the cd?

fault
04-11-2006, 09:29 PM
I see your point of view - "don't want the punchline before the joke"... but i'm thirsty and impatient. The reviews so far only reinforce how good the album is. Keep the details flowing people.

Rav
04-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I can confirm this is definitely legit, as I've just seen it in a copy of the latest Rock Sound.

Bloody
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
So...you've heard the cd?

I know!! some of you are freaks. The new tool album is not a 10/10 what? this guy is crazy!!!

you havent heard it yet! so how do you know its crazy?! blarg

the usual
04-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Before posting this I should tell you this is not completely legit, since no one who has the magazine is able to confirm this but I got this from Fourth Eye who got it from Tool Army.

And another thing, if you wanna go in with an open mind you shouldn't read the review (not that it spoils anything, it doesn't say anything we don't already know).

Here it is anyway...

bleak lyrics....I like the sound of that!

sinister exaggerator
04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Anyone with the name Hardeep Phull, has to be a dick

there is a programme that was on ch4 on british telly in the morning called hardeep does and i fell to bits with laughter when i saw his name, almost as much as i have done this time. "hardpee" a syndrome that occurs whilst pissing in antartica.

Volrath
04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Just wait until the 13th.

I've waited, now what?

5th Eye
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think much happened. Dammit.