PDA

View Full Version : Transmutation and Christian scripture

weak&weary
04-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Some of my favorite Tool lines of all time are in this song in the section before Maynard's scream:

"Give away the stone, Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor
Give away the stone, Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold"

That idea and the way Maynard expresses it kills me every time. And what's interesting is that a section of Mormon scripture seems to say the same thing:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make WEAK THING BECOME STRONG UNTO THEM." (emphasis mine)
-Ether 12:27

An interesting parallel, I think. The Grudge is about humbling yourself, giving away "the stone" that's holding you back and turning it into something beautiful... in other words, making weak things become strong.

I don't mean to imply that Tool are ardant Mormons or anything, and it's obvious that the scripture has much more of a God-centered focus that Tool ever does... but it just seemed interesting to me, that Tool should express the same kind of ideas as found in the Book of Mormon. It's not a comparison I often see with this band.