PDA

View Full Version : No Explicit Lyrics?

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-08-2006, 06:42 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4891162

According to everyone's favorite store Walmart they did not Edit the CD and for those who know Walmart that means that there will not be any explicit lyrics on the album. This may change since they hardly have any info about the album up yet but I thought I would throw that out to you guys. I also realize this may be a waste of thread but yea well move it to rumors if necessary.

Mitote
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM

According to everyone's favorite store Walmart they did not Edit the CD and for those who know Walmart that means that there will not be any explicit lyrics on the album. This may change since they hardly have any info about the album up yet but I thought I would throw that out to you guys. I also realize this may be a waste of thread but yea well move it to rumors if necessary.

Explicit lyrics are a pre-requisite for any great album, sorry. =\

Howard
04-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Yea, it's a waste of thread =D

Mitote
(Explicit Post)

Oh, and f*ck Walmart.

HolyReality
they really fuckin' are....explicit lyrics are great

Octopod
04-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I think they're fine if the moment calls for it, but not necessary.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-08-2006, 06:46 PM

Why are you apologizing to me? I'm not the one who made the album.

magnolia
04-08-2006, 06:47 PM
There is a limit you have to reach before your lyrics are considered "explicit". Saying fuck and shit every here and there doesn't warrant a warning. When has Tool ever gone overboard with explicit lyrics?

Mitote
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Why are you apologizing to me? I'm not the one who made the album.

Wait, you're not??

dissonance19
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
There is a limit you have to reach before your lyrics are considered "explicit". Saying fuck and shit every here and there doesn't warrant a warning. When has Tool ever gone overboard with explicit lyrics?

Ænema lol, pretty sure he says "fuck or fucking" about 11 times or so

Mitote
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM

lol, I love it! As long as you don't say f*ck too many times, you're good to go. LOL, gotta love this country.

I mean, what's the guildeline? 20+ f*cks gets you a little sticker?

Raul78
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I honestly don't care either way.

lachrymoIogy
04-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Explicit lyrics are a pre-requisite for any great album, sorry. =\ so i guess any of pink floyds albums without vulgarity aren't great, led zeppelin, eric clapton, jimi hendrix?... i meen.. there's more obviously. but im just sticking with GREAT bands with great albums without vulgarity. i meen.... fuck.

Mitote
04-08-2006, 06:51 PM
so i guess any of pink floyds albums without vulgarity aren't great, led zeppelin, eric clapton, jimi hendrix?... i meen.. there's more obviously. but im just sticking with GREAT bands with great albums without vulgarity. i meen.... fuck.

Sorry. My sarcasm is subtle tonight.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
Wait, you're not??

Only in my mind.

Semp
I'd imagine that Walmart looks over the lyrics to the songs (typically as presented in the liner notes) and that since Tool have this massive hard-on about no leaks, they'll be waiting as long as possible before releasing the lyrics to be examined.

TenSpeed
04-08-2006, 06:53 PM
It takes one "fuck" on a major label to get a PA label, and an indie label will never give a CD a PA label.

hobophobe
04-08-2006, 06:56 PM

According to everyone's favorite store Walmart they did not Edit the CD and for those who know Walmart that means that there will not be any explicit lyrics on the album.

Are you sure about this? I haven't been to walmart in ages, so I don't know what their in-store setup is like anymore... I know it used to be so bad they wouldn't let me buy the movie Falling Down when I was 16... but I do know that their online music store includes 30 second samples that do contain bad words:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1597028
If you listen to the 30 second for "Too Drunk to Fuck" you hear the horror of the word Fuck.

Mitote
04-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Are you sure about this? I haven't been to walmart in ages, so I don't know what their in-store setup is like anymore... I know it used to be so bad they wouldn't let me buy the movie Falling Down when I was 16... but I do know that their online music store includes 30 second samples that do contain bad words:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1597028
If you listen to the 30 second for "Too Drunk to Fuck" you hear the horror of the word Fuck.

I distinctly remember needing my ID to purchase a can of spray paint at Walmart. They won't sell you glue unless you're 18, either. (This isn't a joke --- elmer's white glue discluded)

ALIvingGrudge
04-08-2006, 07:02 PM
i actually think that songs without explicit lyrics are better.

its alot harder to get fustrating points through lyrics without cussing all over the place so it shows great writing skills if you can show angst without cursing.

Mitote
04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
i actually think that songs without explicit lyrics are better.

its alot harder to get fustrating points through lyrics without cussing all over the place so it shows great writing skills if you can show angst without cursing.

*point that fucking finger up your ass* is fine poetry.

oneredflag
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
No Explicit Lyrics...
Not "Toolish"
I am So Dissapointed...
With a Record...
I have not
Even heard yet
IF THATS POSSIBLE.

It is not

magnolia
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
lol, I love it! As long as you don't say f*ck too many times, you're good to go. LOL, gotta love this country.

I mean, what's the guildeline? 20+ f*cks gets you a little sticker?
It's exactly like this with film too... there is an actual "fuck" limit that seperates PG-13 from R ratings.

Descencia
04-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah apparently fuck can only be said once in a PG-13 rated movie. But in Transporter 2 it's said twice.

lachrymoIogy
04-08-2006, 07:40 PM
wait a minute. since when (as of late atleast) can you buy a tool album at walmart?

a788
04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
you can buy pretty much anything at walmart...

TenSpeed
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
you can buy pretty much anything at walmart...
Yeah, they had Meshuggah and Between the Buried and Me, as well as Lateralus there last time I was there.

lachrymoIogy
04-08-2006, 08:25 PM
wow... i guess it has been that long since i sold my soul to walmart (god BTBAM is so fucking badass. just saw them in houston at the end of march with every time I die. fucking siiiiiiick)

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Walmart also supposedly has the Undertow edited version too. But I have yet to see it.

tooldude
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
who buys cds at wal mart. wal mart=evil

etaipo
04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I was kind of hoping for more of the angry similiarities to come out on the new album see UNDERTOW for reference, but the selections on lateralus are fairly mean, but the language is kept clean so no matter what as long as maynard is angry he will channel the anger through metaphorical lyrics!

weak&weary
04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Walmart sells a friggin host of unedited cd's. I mean, they carry all of Pearl Jam's records, and they have cussing on all of'em. I guess a lot of records with vulgarity just slip through the cracks... plus, Walmart's not exactly the best source for this info. For example, they carry an edited version of Lateralus, which, if you'll remember, included no vulgarity at all.

insaner
04-08-2006, 11:56 PM

further proof that lateralus sucked.

weak&weary
04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
further proof that lateralus sucked.
Yeah. Which must mean eMOTIVE was album of the year.

LoKi
04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
oh all you fuckwits who complain about no swear words...

grow the fuck up.

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Walmart does like an all or nothing, if the album isn't PA, becuase the label didn't make it PA, then Walmart won't touch the editing, even if it is full of cuss words, but once the label sticks it with a PA, it will edit the word "ass. It even took the word "Rape" out of a Cold album I bought, and Walmart doesn't mess around they completely erase any hint of what the word was.

I really couldn't care less if it's PA or not, this thread wasn't dumb at all though...It was worth while to read...Thanx whoever started it.

NateDaTater
04-09-2006, 01:16 AM
oh all you fuckwits who complain about no swear words...

grow the fuck up.

It's sarcasm. </sarcasm>

Saltank
04-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Explicit Lyrics mean nothing.

Carbonatedgravy
04-09-2006, 01:31 AM
I have trouble putting any value in anything Wal-Mart ever says, ever. Maybe the cd will have explicit lyrics and maybe it won't. But I won't base a guess on something typed up by an individual directly or indirectly employed by Wal-Mart.

Idiotica
04-09-2006, 01:43 AM
only teenagers are impressed by explicit lyrics

Chris_Brightwell
04-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Lateralus didn't have the "Explicit Lyrics" tag, either.

RED_THE_HAT
04-09-2006, 06:36 AM
q

RED_THE_HAT
04-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Limp Bizkit Lyrics - If I say Fuck two more times, that's 46 Fucks in this Fucked up rhyme

If anyone says that having a record with explicit lyrics makes a good album, let me remind you of that pure abomination that is Fred Durst.

waffel
04-09-2006, 07:01 AM
how stupid can you fucks be

they dont have the album lryics, or the album, or have ever heard it

how the fuck does walmart know if its explicit?

Inner_Eulogy
04-09-2006, 07:13 AM
(Explicit Post)

Oh, and f*ck Walmart.

I second that notion

Inner_Eulogy
04-09-2006, 07:17 AM
*point that fucking finger up your ass* is fine poetry.

Bullsh*t, that's more like the motherf*cking holy grail of poetry right there

toolloot
04-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Lateralus shouldn't have been explicit.

Inner_Eulogy
04-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Walmart also supposedly has the Undertow edited version too. But I have yet to see it.

You are correct, well at least when it was out. Wal-Mart was the main company that had the edited version and the artwork was the one with the big barcode over the front cover instead of the rib cage artwork.

ripewithdecay
04-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, Wal-Mart is totally fucking backwards when it comes to music editing. To this day, they sell Green Day's Dookie uncensored.

Chris_Brightwell
04-09-2006, 08:29 AM
You are correct, well at least when it was out. Wal-Mart was the main company that had the edited version and the artwork was the one with the big barcode over the front cover instead of the rib cage artwork.The album wasn't editing. Only the artwork was.

5th Eye
04-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow; the Walmart version of the CD is an entire inch thick and weighs a whole pound! Fuck, I'm getting my copy there!

ATARI
04-09-2006, 09:51 AM
HEY

The band and the record label choose themselves if they feel that the sticker gets put on. There is no guideline. The band and the record label douche it out between themselves. If neither of them feel that it needs to have a sticker, despite having a few uses of profanity, it doesn't get stickered.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 09:52 AM
actually I don't know. I just shitted that out of my rear

Happyfunball
04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
My last CD buying experience at Wal-Mart was a horrible Filter disc that was edited for content. The fact that it didn't actually indicate anywhere on the disc's packaging that it was edited pissed me off to no end. It wasn't even a good disc to begin with. "Where Do We Go From Here" is basically the only redeeming song on the whole thing.

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
actually I don't know. I just shitted that out of my rear

Yeah, we can tell.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 12:07 PM
My last CD buying experience at Wal-Mart was a horrible Filter disc that was edited for content. The fact that it didn't actually indicate anywhere on the disc's packaging that it was edited pissed me off to no end. It wasn't even a good disc to begin with. "Where Do We Go From Here" is basically the only redeeming song on the whole thing.

that album blows anyway. Get Title of Record

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:07 PM

It's what you get for buying a Filter cd, I bought one once, and then my Mom died when I got home, but I realize that it was only fair.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, we can tell.

your brain was pooped out someone's ass

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Thats the one I bought....and it is horrible.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 12:09 PM
you think i'm giving him GOOD advice?

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:09 PM
your brain was pooped out someone's ass

Yeah, it was.

The/Perfect/Tool
04-09-2006, 12:10 PM
you think i'm giving him GOOD advice?

Oh, well in that case pick up Fear Factory's new album too.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 12:10 PM
along with St. Anger

Happyfunball
04-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I like 'Title of Record'. Can't listen to it every day, but I can still listen to it and sometimes even enjoy it.

Happyfunball
04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
It's what you get for buying a Filter cd, I bought one once, and then my Mom died when I got home, but I realize that it was only fair.
Your mom died because you touch yourself at night.

Alistair_Carson
04-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh, well in that case pick up Fear Factory's new album too.

I never got into Fear Factory at all. I remember going to Best Buy and buying two cds by them thinking they were gonna be good (because of the Roadrunner Record label). I was disappointed.

And then I remembered. I didn't even like Roadrunner Records.

Metalgod666
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Lateralus didn't have explicit lyrics and it was a great album

caiman
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Question: Why is the word "fuckin'" seemingly censored in the song Ticks and Leeches? It's something I've always wondered. It's the only cuss word on the entire album, and it sounds like a radio edit. The line "Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take" sounds more like "Taken all you can, taken all you can WIERCKIN take."

Any ideas about this?

weak&weary
04-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Question: Why is the word "fuckin'" seemingly censored in the song Ticks and Leeches? It's something I've always wondered. It's the only cuss word on the entire album, and it sounds like a radio edit. The line "Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take" sounds more like "Taken all you can, taken all you can WIERCKIN take."

Any ideas about this?
To me it sounded like that line was "taken all you can, taken all I can, we can take..." So, I don't think it's censored.

caiman
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
To me it sounded like that line was "taken all you can, taken all I can, we can take..." So, I don't think it's censored.

Hmm, the lyrics page at this site says differently. According to that, the first time he says "we can take," and the second time he says "fuckin take". That page has always seemed accurate to me, but maybe not this time.

And yeah, listening to it again, both times DO sound like "we can take." Why would the lyrics page say "fuckin"?

FortySix&Two
04-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmm, the lyrics page at this site says differently. According to that, the first time he says "we can take," and the second time he says "fuckin take". That page has always seemed accurate to me, but maybe not this time.

And yeah, listening to it again, both times DO sound like "we can take." Why would the lyrics page say "fuckin"?

toolband.com lyrics page says " Taken all I can taken all I can, we can take. Taken all you can taken you can, we can take."

I always thought he said "fucking suck" as the opening lyrics, and also "fucking take" in the line quoted above. Doesn't matter to me either way, though.

etaipo
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
only teenagers are impressed by explicit lyrics

Hmm, someone has found the key!

Xariable
04-10-2006, 11:34 AM
That's gotta be a fucking joke, right?

ladder_alice_11
04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah apparently fuck can only be said once in a PG-13 rated movie. But in Transporter 2 it's said twice.

Yet in Titanic (worst... movie... ever...) and As Good As it Gets it is said 3 times. I've tried to figure out ratings systems and whatnot. Nothing really makes sense and Ive heard many different stories that defend either side. (like anything else)

I had heard a while back from a friend in the record industry that an album will get a sticker from both the band and the label's mutual agreement on the matter. Coheed and Cambria's newest release as well as Story of the Year's Page Avenue say "fuck" once and NOT AT ALL.. respectively.

Yet, if you purchase Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing by Strapping Young Lad, you will hear that word around 35 times in the first song! And that's just the start of that album..

SO... like i said.. who knows really? who really even cares? will it detract from you buying the new Tool album if it has a sticker or not?

Hannibal
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Yet in Titanic (worst... movie... ever...) and As Good As it Gets it is said 3 times. I've tried to figure out ratings systems and whatnot. Nothing really makes sense and Ive heard many different stories that defend either side. (like anything else)

I'm sure context has a lot to do with it too. derogatory remarks/racial/sexist/etc will hurt a flicks rating.

vulgarity in music is often used for shock value, nothing more. Look at Korn, listen to one of their records and read the lyrics, there are several times a better word could have been used then "fuck." Especially on their latest records.

praefector
04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
When has Tool ever gone overboard with explicit lyrics?

aenema
hooker with a penis
prison sex (to a degree)

praefector
04-10-2006, 02:19 PM

refer to maynard's quote about a song being like a picture (you dont always look the same in every picture of you but its still you)

it applies here

Scratch
04-10-2006, 02:27 PM

THE WALMART KNOWS ALL

praefector
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
how stupid can you fucks be

they dont have the album lryics, or the album, or have ever heard it

if im not mistaken the record label is responsible for issuing the "parental warning" labels...in serious cases, mandating that it be printed on the album cover

could be wrong though

Virginity Trey
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll devote my first post on here to saying that if you shop at Wallmart you are evil. They suck Satan's cock.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll devote my first post on here to saying that if you shop at Wallmart you are evil. They suck Satan's cock.

If that's true then why wouldn't they sell PA records? Seems contradictory to me.