PDA

View Full Version : Song Placement

ckm
11-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Ever utilized the "shuffle" function on your CD player? Ever tried it on Undertow? Doesn't work too well, huh?

So I've always thought that part of the reason why Tool places these mini-songs all over their albums is to encourage the listener to listen in the order the album was written. Some purists say this is the only way to listen to albums. I myself see it both ways.

Anyway, the placement of this snippet in Aenema seems very important to me. The basic message I get from the song is that anything spoken in German sounds threatening, even if it's just a recipe for cookies.

Expand this to the messages of the surrounding songs ("jimmy" and "Pushit"). It's about forgiveness, and the realization that people are not trying to hurt you, even if their actions seem threatening.

RandomJohnson
11-24-2002, 09:58 AM
I agree here. I used to just skip past Die Eier Von Satan and all the little "skits" on the albums. But one night a friend of mine and I were listening to aenima (album) and let Die Eier Von Satan play out, and it did seem like Pushit had a different vibe to it maybe. Especially on Aenima and Lateralus, I like listening to those albums pretty much straight through. All the tracks someone would usually skip help round out the experience - makes it feel more complete.

Comebackrunning
11-24-2002, 11:44 AM
a lot of my friends say they hate The Eggs of Satan, because it causes them to get off theyre lazy asses to skip it.
to them i have to say...
i)if you're gonna buy a TooL album, you have to listen to it all the way through or it doesn't work
ii)Get a CD player with a remote u dumbass's