PDA

View Full Version : "New" Promo Art in Metal Hammer

millermt
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Taken from TA:

1st UK Press advert?
Not big news I know, but the outside back cover of the new "Metal Hammer" UK rock magazine has a page advert for 10,000 Days with slightly different artwork to the sleeve we've all seen. I don't have access to a scanner etc... here, but I'm sure someone else will post it soon enough... No mention of a single or anything, just band name, album title, "NEW ALBUM OUT MAY 1ST" (UK release date), web address and logos for Tool Dissectional, Volcano, Zomba and Columbia.

Here is a link to a scan. (http://www.chamberland.info/images/xmdays_ad.jpg) Looks like it's a different part of Alex Grey's Web of Being.

slicknickshady
04-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I saw it. Thanks though.

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I really like this poster. The growing faint color in this one may be a sign of things to come...

karbinator
Hmm, thats bassicly the same pic that was in the Rip It Up Magazine.
Looks pretty kool..

lachrymoIogy
kudos.

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Nice stuff...

*waits poised with a baseball bat for the logo haters*

FOOL

Please no one else make that comment now i have. So long, and goodnight.

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice stuff...

FOOL

Please no one else make that comment now i have. So long, and goodnight.

and now that you mention it...i was just thinking that i like the logo more seeing it on this poster. It seems to go with the shape of the whole thing.

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
and now that you mention it...i was just thinking that i like the logo more seeing it on this poster. It seems to go with the shape of the whole thing.

Glad to be of assistance.

Now suck my cock.

<3

Perseensilmä
04-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I like this more than the album mini-one. But motherfucking cmon, I still hate that three-faced guy´s moustache!!!!

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Glad to be of assistance.

Now suck my cock.

<3

I take only cash and up front.

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Now this is gettin nicer... it this turns to be the cover of the album it would be cool to have some kind of depth optical illusion.

alicetooljam
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
That IS web of being. The 3 faced guy is just part of that same artwork. Do a search for web of being...

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I like this more than the album mini-one. But motherfucking cmon, I still hate that three-faced guy´s moustache!!!!

Moustache??? looking at the lighter versions i see what you mean, but i think thats just part of the face and lip shading.

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
aand...in this picture i think you can more clearly tell that it isnt a moustache..

http://spectraleyes.com/gallery/photos/web_of_being

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I take only cash and up front.

No chance of a strap-on up back?

Ocelot199
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Its a different part of the same exact picture posted on Toolband.

And its still lame to reuse old artwork for a new album.

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
No chance of a strap-on up back?

It depends on the weather.

MOON
04-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Its a fake...

logo on a old scan quickly made...

Fake.

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM

Its not really old artwork. It was first in an artshow about 5 months ago. This is NOT the same painting used as a backdrop.

Nebel
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM

I agree, I was under the impression that Adam was putting a lot of effort into the artwork, but maybe that's not the artwork itself but something like holographic or something like that

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
It depends on the weather.

Oh you tease you.....

What are you wearing?

I just have a towel on... and im sitting on a hamster.

PM ME

Vianney
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
this fuller image adds so much to everything the art posted on toolband was missing. This image is less recycled than I thought, too. It obviously isn't just a complete scan of Alex Grey's original peice with this face. I really couldn't believe TOOL would create some masterpeice of music and then just halfass the artwork. There's something incredible in store, i'm sure of it.

*more stokage for the new album*

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Oh you tease you.....

What are you wearing?

20 lbs of ham, a lunch lady cap ,rollerskates, and nothing else
baaaabyyyy

millermt
04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
That IS web of being. The 3 faced guy is just part of that same artwork. Do a search for web of being...

I meant that it is a different section than is shown on the "album mini".

Perseensilmä
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Its not really old artwork. It was first in an artshow about 5 months ago. This is NOT the same painting used as a backdrop.

It still is pretty fucking similar AND I saw that web of being piece like fucking long time ago. It´s old, that´s it.

TheHolyGift
04-07-2006, 12:32 PM
This albums art is awesome enough to make up for its dumbass title.

Vianney
04-07-2006, 12:32 PM

If you think about it, the figure on the lateralus cover was one of alex grey's recycled characters. It wasn't anything 'new' in that sense. If you look at the package as a whole though, the artwork is unparalled to anything before and of its time. Don't put it passed Tool to push the boundaries of album art again for this one.

bass_dude
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
May 1st? Sweet! means i donnae have to skip school like i was going to for May 2nd :D

Alex

TurdEye13
04-07-2006, 12:36 PM
if true, this is great

Vianney
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I hope this makes everyone happy who was complaining about the off-centeredness of the picture on toolband

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
20 lbs of ham, a lunch lady cap ,rollerskates, and nothing else
baaaabyyyy

Your male?

You fucking ***got.

*hides*

seemyshadowchanging
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM

i agree i still want to believe in the theory of the live dvd using this artwork.it still doesnt make sense why they would use this for the new album.just my opinion but we shall soon see.

Cucumber_11
04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Its a fake...

logo on a old scan quickly made...

Fake.

That was tongue in cheak right?

...right?

zavlin
04-07-2006, 12:49 PM
You fucking ***got.

no, but nobody ever appreciates meat products and rollerskates.

TheHolyGift
04-07-2006, 12:52 PM
it still doesnt make sense why they would use this for the new album.

Because they want to.

orange.juice
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
*breaks the match between his fingers*

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 01:14 PM
*breaks the match between his fingers*

You may have broken my weapon, but you will never break my heart.

ATARI
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Every day I get more and more excited about the new pearl jam album and less about the new tool album.

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Every day I get more and more excited about the new pearl jam album and less about the new tool album.

Cant forget the peppers =(

ATARI
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
peppers dont' come out to a week after though. I have a one track mind

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Logo is awesome.

Yes.

I love it too.

TheHolyGift
04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Now that I don't understand, going to this piece of shit after the awesomeness of the Lateralus logo.

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 01:44 PM
The Lateralus logo is cool. This one... doesn't impress me in what matters to design and doesn't fit the artwork in any way. I would prefer the razor like logo on the toolband intro, it's very atractive, although many people don't think this way.

TheHolyGift
04-07-2006, 01:47 PM
The new logo looks like a font I should be able to find in microsoft word.

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
The new logo looks like a font I should be able to find in microsoft word.

You can probably find the Microsoft logo in word... does that make it a bad logo?

TheHolyGift
04-07-2006, 01:56 PM
If Microsofts old logo was the Lateralus logo, yes, it would.

JuhaDeWolf
04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I like the picture, but the fact that it is basically a black and white copy of an existing Alex Grey work knocks down the 'coolness' a few notches.

Xanatos
04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I bet this album will be terrible. I should just forget that it even exists then I will find it in a store one day and say "Oh, golly gosh! A new Tool album!". *sigh*

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Mr. T pitys the Tool logo!
http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pittythefool1jd.jpg
=D

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Mr. T pitys the Tool logo!
http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pittythefool1jd.jpg
=D
Aids.

embracingyou
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Ah really liking this new art work... has it's own unique identity despite being Alex Grey again, it's wonderful.

dracomordag
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
psst guys...

it's a vagina

gerbil
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The new logo is just not sensationalist. It's very bare, whereas the Lateralus logo was very complex.

I hated the Salival/Ænima logo. It's so blocky and looks so corny rendered in 3D.

orange.juice
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
You can probably find the Microsoft logo in word... does that make it a bad logo?
Now look, it works like this: Company decides to lift their image, so they hire a team of advertising guys. In some cases, huge ammounts of money are involved. Then it's not a bunch of advertising guys anymore but a renowned graphics agency. They may (amongst all other image questions and solutions) design either a graphical symbol or some typo as a logo. Usually, they use high profile fonts which are created by talented people who again earn a lot of money from this. The copyright for these fonts however expires after several years (mostly because it's expensive), so everyone who wants can use them in their letters to mom eventually. Look around on some free-font sites. The Mercedes font (forgotten the name) is one of those (though it's not designed for plain text).

What else can you find on those freefont sites? A wide variety of fonts from crappy amateurish stuff (like the fool logo is made from) up to some classic fonts without copyright. But if you want the real deal, you'll have to buy a font or font pack from a site like linotype (http://www.linotype.com). Uh... this has nothing to do with Micrsoft, okay: I don't think the MS logo is that great either (for the big empire which it is), but it survived from the good old days until now, and a new logo would also require a huge campaign and general image overhaul and whatnot in this case. People are quite used to it.

What's next? Oh yeah, graphical symbols. The logo on Lateralus seems to be created by Mackie Osborne (says so on the back of the sleeve), and this appears to be a guy who knows what he's doing. Actually i think this sleeve is the only piece from Tool with a certain graphical quality. Can't tell, the logo is either a combination of an already existing font or completely his own creation, but it follows some important rules. These rules are quite the same as in painting or sculpting and music. Has to do with composition, harmony, contrasts and so on. And of course sometimes things will only get interesting when rules are broken. But believe me, there is a huge, noticable difference between consciously breaking rules and not knowing them. What i want to say with those many words: The new logo is shit. It is either quite poor Illutrator work, or just a crappy free font. Yeah.

aeonflux
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
hey, has anyone else noticed that the 't' kind of looks like an 'f'?

orange.juice
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
go please your mom.

czar
04-07-2006, 04:04 PM
how can you guys think thats actually going to be the album cover? that design and font was put up as the album-mini... not the album cover... there's a huge difference

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Now look, it works like this: Company decides to lift their image, so they hire a team of advertising guys. In some cases, huge ammounts of money are involved. Then it's not a bunch of advertising guys anymore but a renowned graphics agency. They may (amongst all other image questions and solutions) design either a graphical symbol or some typo as a logo. Usually, they use high profile fonts which are created by talented people who again earn a lot of money from this. The copyright for these fonts however expires after several years (mostly because it's expensive), so everyone who wants can use them in their letters to mom eventually. Look around on some free-font sites. The Mercedes font (forgotten the name) is one of those (though it's not designed for plain text).

What else can you find on those freefont sites? A wide variety of fonts from crappy amateurish stuff (like the fool logo is made from) up to some classic fonts without copyright. But if you want the real deal, you'll have to buy a font or font pack from a site like linotype (http://www.linotype.com). Uh... this has nothing to do with Micrsoft, okay: I don't think the MS logo is that great either (for the big empire which it is), but it survived from the good old days until now, and a new logo would also require a huge campaign and general image overhaul and whatnot in this case. People are quite used to it.

What's next? Oh yeah, graphical symbols. The logo on Lateralus seems to be created by Mackie Osborne (says so on the back of the sleeve), and this appears to be a guy who knows what he's doing. Actually i think this sleeve is the only piece from Tool with a certain graphical quality. Can't tell, the logo is either a combination of an already existing font or completely his own creation, but it follows some important rules. These rules are quite the same as in painting or sculpting and music. Has to do with composition, harmony, contrasts and so on. And of course sometimes things will only get interesting when rules are broken. But believe me, there is a huge, noticable difference between consciously breaking rules and not knowing them. What i want to say with those many words: The new logo is shit. It is either quite poor Illutrator work, or just a crappy free font. Yeah.

I disagree, but respect the effort you put into your post.

Bill_Hix
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
This albums art is awesome enough to make up for its dumbass title.

^ beat me to it

Happyfunball
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
In regards to this art being old, does it not dawn on everyone the reality that much of this "new" music might actually be just as old if not older than Alex Grey's work? Perhaps the music and this artwork has been a collaborative work for some length of time now, and it just so happened that Alex finished his part of the collaboration well before Tool was ready to finish their side of things. The question then arises, does Alex have a right to go forward and display his own portion of the collaboration apart from the Tool cd? I would have to say yes, seeing as how it is his livelihood to do so and this is easily a good stand-alone piece of art.

I'm reminded of the way Roger Dean and Yes had an artist/musician relationship for many years in the 70's (and have now continued on from the 90's to the present). The difference in Roger's case may very well be that he had no reason to go forward and display his Yes-related art in advance of their new albums coming out. They were producing albums at a one-per-year clip. Everything he did for them was on display to the public in a very timely manner. Tool on the other hand has taken quite a long while to release their new CD. Meanwhile, Alex may have been approached to create (and subsiquently finish) some artwork for the upcoming disc quite a long time ago.

HolyReality
04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I just don't understand why the intro on toolband is so drastically different from the new album artwork. can anyone explain that to me?

Vianney
04-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I just don't understand why the intro on toolband is so drastically different from the new album artwork. can anyone explain that to me?

since when does a website have to match a band's album artwork... moreover, has toolband.com's design ever matched tool's latest album? That would get pretty old considering the time lapse between albums.

Vianney
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Looking at the poster again, I was thinking (here's more fuel for the 10000 days is really live dvd debate), the art is rectangular, not square. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a DVD case? This doesn't rule out that, IF this is the image to be used for the album cover, than it simply could be cropped to this shape for the poster. But if this really were the full image for the album cover, I highly doubt they would scrunch it down, thus distorting the image, into a square shape.

mustbevicarious
04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I love it that it says "toolband.com" at the bottom of this poster. People will be like "Oh, this band looks relatively okay, I'll check out toolband.com"

5 minutes later-

"Oh, fuck, it's just some fucker called Blair and his stupid-ass escapades. I'm buying the new mudvayne instead."

Choice Breath
04-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I love it that it says "toolband.com" at the bottom of this poster. People will be like "Oh, this band looks relatively okay, I'll check out toolband.com"

5 minutes later-

"Oh, fuck, it's just some fucker called Blair and his stupid-ass escapades. I'm buying the new mudvayne instead."

Nail on the head!

Also, judging from this artwork, I'd say the new album is really entitled:

"The Infinite Acorn".

Just take a look.

Octopod
04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
The artwork for Lateralus was older than the record.

Five months of display time doesn't bother me. The connections to the music are what matter.

Light Reflections
04-07-2006, 07:05 PM
If the artwork fits the theme of the album, I'm all for it.

the white
04-07-2006, 07:29 PM
tool never cease to amaze me, unbelievable art work.....wow i want a promo pic or poster, something..

Pineal
04-07-2006, 08:19 PM
The promo stickers and posters for Lateralus that I saw were sort of inferior quality (or rather, less detailed/a detail from the art) versions of the final booklet (i.e. often just the first face of the guy on a black background).

Maybe this pic is also in that sort of tradition?

Headmusic
04-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Here's a full shot of Alex Grey's mural "Net of Being". Same picture as what's been released, but complete, and in color.....

http://spectraleyes.com/gallery/photos/web_of_being

czar
04-07-2006, 08:58 PM

From wikipedia:

In 2005, Tool's web domain Toolband.com was rerouted to a gateway to the known official Tool websites. According to Distortion Online, the Tool logo seen on the gateway page is not a new logo, but an invention by web designer Joshua Davis, who has reportedly been asked by Adam Jones to take over the Tool websites.

Briznitch
04-07-2006, 09:05 PM
The artwork for Lateralus was older than the record.

Five months of display time doesn't bother me. The connections to the music are what matter.
The artwork for Lateralus was made FOR Lateralus.

peripheral
04-07-2006, 10:08 PM
i am not too bright, and i am lazy, but at alexgrey.com, he has his new (i.e. tool) album cover artwork posted with the album title. does that mean that alex grey is in on the 'hoax' of the album title and the 'artwork'? not likley. he is too busy to be part of some childish prank. which may hurt the feelings of some.

tempathy
04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
psst guys...

it's a vagina

you beat me to it. and it's something tool would definitely do. heavy metal vagina. hows that for a third eye?

Grimface
04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
It looks fucking sweet. I love it!

Grimface
04-08-2006, 12:42 AM
i am not too bright, and i am lazy, but at alexgrey.com, he has his new (i.e. tool) album cover artwork posted with the album title. does that mean that alex grey is in on the 'hoax' of the album title and the 'artwork'? not likley. he is too busy to be part of some childish prank. which may hurt the feelings of some.

Yep. And he even says:

"Many fans have inquired regarding the album art TOOL has released on Amazon for pre-sale of the album.

The cover is an adaptation of Alex Grey's painting, Net of Being."

Octopod
04-08-2006, 01:35 AM
The artwork for Lateralus was made FOR Lateralus.

So what? It's still older than the record, necessarily so. Are you telling me that just because this piece was hung up for viewing for some period of time that it automatically doesn't qualify for a Tool cover? I'm sorry, but I think that's a little petulant.

The work was done, it's cool looking, and the artist let the band use it. The band obviously thought a lot of it. What more do you want? A fresh commission of something else? Anything else... as long as it's "new"? To me, if this piece of artwork accomplishes what the band have in mind, there's no need to commission something else. If Tool and Grey feel they are on the same page, I'm willing to see where they take me.

You're the same guy who said that 10,000 Days is a "ripoff" of 10,000 Fists, right? Big surprise. I have a few links for you. Apparently Disturbed aren't the only band Tool are copping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001HAGWY/qid=1144389049/sr=1-25/ref=sr_1_25/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005IBI6/qid=1144389121/sr=1-31/ref=sr_1_31/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000523MM/qid=1144389121/sr=1-36/ref=sr_1_36/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRP48U/qid=1144389196/sr=1-42/ref=sr_1_42/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2H79U/qid=1144389196/sr=1-45/ref=sr_1_45/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005IABM/qid=1144389021/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_14/104-4776361-2175906?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Do you think Tool is worried that someone might think they are ripping off any of these artists? I can't even imagine how or why you would say yes. So why would they even take "10,000 Fists" into account? That title isn't even a reference to the concept of time.

Goldfoot
04-08-2006, 02:03 AM
I feel sorry for those of you who care enough to be disappointed already. Ok sure, this piece isn't a new piece created for the album, but haw many people have seen it before? People who like Alex Grey. People that don't know about Alex Grey will get a taste of his artwork again. There's no harm in that and if Tool wants to do that, let them. If you think you know what they should do, make your own cover and throw the artwork away when it comes out because you don't like it.

If you're truly unhappy with something, change it to your liking. With something like a CD it's really easy to make it how YOU want it. This is only a suggestion, you don't have to do it. But for fucks sake, quit bitching.

LoKi
04-08-2006, 02:16 AM
leaks don't have artwork.

Pablo
04-08-2006, 09:15 AM
here's another scoop for you... the final artwork / packaging allegedly has "a 3D element to it, like on Aenima" - quote Danny Carey from Feb 2006.

I guess it's only a few weeks till we all find out.

Ciao,

Pablo

PS - there really are some genuine dickheads on here aren't there? I don't need to name names, you know who you are... : )

Postman Pat
04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Probably old news but Metal Hammer magazine which i bought yesterday (u.k) has some new art work on the back cover. Looks shit hot.

Vaginal Replicator
04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Scan please, or pic.

Clutch it like an AEnima
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
link....link....LINKKKKKKKKK

Postman Pat
04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Scan please, or pic.
I try to sort out when i get back from work sorry

HalfASandwidch
04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Does anyone else have this mag? I'd like to see this.

tempathy
04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
this thread is worthless without pictures

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-12-2006, 08:23 PM
have you all missed the boat? This is old. I'll post a link once I find it.

Vaginal Replicator
04-12-2006, 08:23 PM
He said he'll try and up them later, he's at work.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
http://static.flickr.com/54/124933732_069c828c5f.jpg?v=0 There you go.

HalfASandwidch
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh, this. Should have just said that's what it was =P

lachrymoIogy
04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh, this. Should have just said that's what it was =P yeah, old news.

lysergide dreams
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
hmm. out may 1st?

Goldfoot
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
hmm. out may 1st?

Europe....

stagger lee
04-13-2006, 12:25 PM
a full page ad for the new album on the back of the may issue of metal hammer magazine has confirmed the title as 10,000 days and that the alex grey picture and associated font are real. it also promises a 1st may release date for the u.k

this is a monday and more than likely means people in ireland (like me) will be able to purchase the album on friday the 28th in HMV et al as new records set for a monday release in england nearly always come out the friday beforehand here.

it also means that we'll probably be able to get it in non-soundscan affiliated shops (like second hand places) on thursday 27th.

gonna try to photo it and resize it for those who dont believe me and actually care.

dont bother telling me this has been posted before, even if it has. i cant see it and anyway i have a problem with my eyesight that means i cant read that kind of sentence.

martyrinexile86
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
I personally think the artwork on the promo poster is light years better than the intiial supposed album art, and if it does in fact have a 3D element to it, it could possibly rival the Lateralus artwork.