PDA

View Full Version : Tool article in 'Rip It Up'...

mattw
04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey. If this has already been posted/deleted/binned/banned etc. I apologise in advance but here's the article from New Zealand's 'Rip It Up' magazine, originally posted by Karbinator - thank him, not me...

Pretty good read!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here they are, the quality ain't great and it's in Black & White, but you only want it for the interview...should open in MS Paint.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17388189/Tool_Pix.rar.html

Put in a new thread if you think it's worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

fault
04-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Cheers! The "competition winners" that went to the listening.. lucky f**kers.

gerbil
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Awesome. Great read.

Thanks man.

HolyReality
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
wow. really informative. thanks a lot.

czar
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Really good read. I haven't seen it yet if it was posted before... if not, then thank you for the great find.

rimb
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah thanks for that, very interesting.

Sounds like they were still playing around with the song sequencing as the listening parties were going on. This may explain some of the confusion that's arisen when comparing reviews and comments from those who attended.

Nice looking new album ad too.

Khadgar346
04-06-2006, 09:13 PM
cool read, thanks for posting it!

mattw
04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Obviously I am really looking forward to this album but it's only a matter of time before a 'conspiracy theorist' points out that the article says "tentatively titled 10,000 Days"...

I just want to answer this anticipated comment/question by saying that Tool were in New Zealand back in early March and so at the time (in accordance with other similar reports concerning the album's title) Tool may not have had a 'confirmed' title... remember Andy King's review where he said it was still 'un-named' at the time of listening (back in February)

Otherwise, THANKS to Karbinator for posting this link originally (and his dad for scanning it at work, apparently) and I really enjoyed reading it!

Can't wait to hear the new album, especially when they play the new tracks live!

Also, for those who don't know what Justin is referring to when he mentions the "Umaga tackle", he is talking about Tana Umaga, a NZ rugby union player (and captain) who made a 'controversial' tackle on a British player in last year's British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand... it has very little to do with Tool and their music...

HolyReality
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
everything maynard says is fascinating...very revealing indeed.

astrorot
04-06-2006, 09:20 PM
so stoked for this album. great article, thanks!

jasonchristopher
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
was that the whole article? just curious because it ended apruptly and it was pretty short.

karbinator
04-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah that was the whole article..sadly.

Dirty_doris
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah its just a 2 page review. I got mine today as well, nice to see that they take the time to talk to us NZers! Yeah i havent seen what he put up because i have it myself but did he show the picture on the back of the frount cover. Slightly different to the art work seen on Toolband.com but still just a different version of the same thing. Wots up with that?

Oh and BTW i went into Sounds Music store today to and they have the posters up for tool but its just a blank with the Lataralus tool logo on it, with coming in may. i took a PXT of it if anyone really wants to see it.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Notice how it says "tentatively titled"

hellboy1975
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Funny how the Guitar World article has Adam going on about "his band", then this one goes to great lengths to promote the "Democracy". Who to believe......

Alistair_Carson
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Obviously I am really looking forward to this album but it's only a matter of time before a 'conspiracy theorist' points out that the article says "tentatively titled 10,000 Days"...

Ryan
fantastic! cheers.

Boozy Eulogist
Adam had the baby, they are all the parents.

FickMyDuck
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
an egg beater...

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM

Notice how it references The Pot directly and how Danny himself talks about Lipan chanting--a direct correlation to the title of that segue.

Way to go though, sherlock. You've really cracked the code--the album name is obviously fake.

Dirty_doris
04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Hahaha dont read too much into this, they would have been given the same information we where, so i dont think that is a clue to a different name. I wished they talked more about the albem though. i dont really care to much about how many buds they drunk.

Hannibal
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
i don't think anything's real. Not even this website. I won't believe the album is called 10,000 Days until August.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Notice how it references The Pot directly and how Danny himself talks about Lipan chanting--a direct correlation to the title of that segue.

Way to go though, sherlock. You've really cracked the code--the album name is obviously fake.

Fucking Christ dude, lighten the fuck up.

Briznitch
04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
August? Holy crap man, you're gonna wait until you can stare at it for a few months first to make sure it reads right? hahaha

I as well am interested in the "tentatively titled" description. Being that this is a newer article isn't it? And it's not a quote, so its not like they couldn't change it to say "Tool's new album titled 10,000 Days".

When exactly is this article from? Which issue?

At the same time, where is everybody getting this "10,000 Days" logo at with the same font at the new Tool logo? And the different art on that first ad page, another part of that alex grey piece. I hope the cover is something really elaborate that includes the entire piece, if they are in fact using that one.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
August? Holy crap man, you're gonna wait until you can stare at it for a few months first to make sure it reads right? hahaha

I as well am interested in the "tentatively titled" description. Being that this is a newer article isn't it? And it's not a quote, so its not like they couldn't change it to say "Tool's new album titled 10,000 Days".

When exactly is this article from? Which issue?

At the same time, where is everybody getting this "10,000 Days" logo at with the same font at the new Tool logo? And the different art on that first ad page, another part of that alex grey piece. I hope the cover is something really elaborate that includes the entire piece, if they are in fact using that one.

The 10,000 Days logo is on the art on Amazon, dont know where else.

mattw
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Personally, if Tool were to totally change the album title and tracks names right now, I think it would be a very negative move. All the publicity, all the magazines and websites listing 10,000 Days as the title, everything etc. would have to be changed and it would just create so much negative shit for the band...

For those of you out there who are still clinging to the possibility that the new album isn't entitled 10,000 Days, I wish you all the best for the future but I think it's time to move on and stop doubting...

Funny how after posting my comment about the "tentatively titled" remark it still only took 20 mins for someone to post something about it.

We should get more of these articles in the next few days/week etc. now that April 13th is near... good times ahead!

Dirty_doris
04-06-2006, 10:04 PM
It is from Rip it up April/May 2006. I think it got released a few days ago.

mattw
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
It is from Rip it up April/May 2006. I think it got released a few days ago.

And they probably did the interview back in early March whilst in New Zealand for their brief leg of the 'listening' tour...

reverend resistor
04-06-2006, 10:08 PM
And they probably did the interview back in early March whilst in New Zealand for their brief leg of the 'listening' tour...

Which is probably why it says "tentatively titled". That is, if it was before the 20th, when it was officially announced.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Personally, if Tool were to totally change the album title and tracks names right now, I think it would be a very negative move. All the publicity, all the magazines and websites listing 10,000 Days as the title, everything etc. would have to be changed and it would just create so much negative shit for the band...

For those of you out there who are still clinging to the possibility that the new album isn't entitled 10,000 Days, I wish you all the best for the future but I think it's time to move on and stop doubting...

Funny how after posting my comment about the "tentatively titled" remark it still only took 20 mins for someone to post something about it.

We should get more of these articles in the next few days/week etc. now that April 13th is near... good times ahead!

#1 I am convinved now that it will be 10,000 Days but I still hate the name and track titles AND its still not completely unreasonable that they will end up changing the title.

#2 Tool could change the name and the album would still sell as much as Lateralus. Thats a fact, and Tool knows it. Plus, Tool is at the point in their career where so long as THEY'RE happy with the album they dont care how much it sells.

mattw
04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Which is probably why it says "tentatively titled".

Read posts #8 and #26

justify_denials
04-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Funny how the Guitar World article has Adam going on about "his band", then this one goes to great lengths to promote the "Democracy". Who to believe......
Its not a matter of who to believe....its a matter between between beliefs and sarcasm........

mattw
04-06-2006, 10:19 PM
#1 I am convinved now that it will be 10,000 Days but I still hate the name and track titles AND its still not completely unreasonable that they will end up changing the title.

#2 Tool could change the name and the album would still sell as much as Lateralus. Thats a fact, and Tool knows it. Plus, Tool is at the point in their career where so long as THEY'RE happy with the album they dont care how much it sells.

Yes, they could change the titles etc. but why bother? What purpose would it serve? It would only amuse the band. If they want to get a laugh out of it, that's fine with me. I agree with you in some respects, in that I will still buy their new album. But in general, such a change could only be taken negatively. Sure, it might grab people's attention and everything but there would be a lot of pissed off stores, journalists, people out there. Imagine if you had interviewed Tool, put your interview in the magazine you work for, claiming the album is called 10,000 Days and then at the last minute, the band changes the album name and tracklisting. Yes, that is possible to do, but wouldn't that piss you off? It would annoy me for sure!

Yes, Tool play pranks, they have previously and they probably will in the future. But if you are bringing out a new album, why bother going around the world for a listening/promotional tour if you're just gonna fuck with the very people who will promote your album? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!! The media is doing them a favour by promoting the album under the name 10,000 Days. Why would you want the media then against you?

I've had enough!

meatchunk
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
We(me included), have unfortunatlly missed the point. I thought the music was more important than the names of the song

Briznitch
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
The 10,000 Days logo is on the art on Amazon, dont know where else.
I said it wrong. I know where it's posted at, but what I meant was...
IF it's not real, then howcome everyone has this logo with a very specific font? I am unfortunately leaning towards it being real for that very reason. It's not like that font is just lying around for someone to make up the "10,000 Days" logo with. If it is, I want it!

BUT, regardless when this interview was performed, this issue is brand-fucking-new. Which means it only printed maybe a week ago or two at most, and is now being sent out. Which means they had PLENTY of time to change it from saying "tentatively" to just "The album IS titled....". Ya know what I be meanin? Guitar World came out, and said "The album IS titled...." and that was what, a week ago at least?

TheRuleOfThree
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Thank you for this article. I love reading little hints and details about songs before I've heard them. It makes it all the more fun.

Light Reflections
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Cheers for that! Cool interview.

TheTemperamentalGoat
04-06-2006, 10:26 PM
OK, how the fuck do you download the file?!

Dirty_doris
04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, they could change the titles etc. but why bother? What purpose would it serve? It would only amuse the band. If they want to get a laugh out of it, that's fine with me. I agree with you in some respects, in that I will still buy their new album. But in general, such a change could only be taken negatively. Sure, it might grab people's attention and everything but there would be a lot of pissed off stores, journalists, people out there. Imagine if you had interviewed Tool, put your interview in the magazine you work for, claiming the album is called 10,000 Days and then at the last minute, the band changes the album name and tracklisting. Yes, that is possible to do, but wouldn't that piss you off? It would annoy me for sure!

Yes, Tool play pranks, they have previously and they probably will in the future. But if you are bringing out a new album, why bother going around the world for a listening/promotional tour if you're just gonna fuck with the very people who will promote your album? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!! The media is doing them a favour by promoting the album under the name 10,000 Days. Why would you want the media then against you?

I've had enough!

I must say people are all sounding very umm.. crazy right now haha. But seriously why cant Tool just decide to have a different name then normal. I mean its been FIVE years! a lot has happend and a lot has changed. Names like this may be the direction they are heading and may suit the record. Has anyone even heard the record out of us? i think we just need to stop searching for "fake" stuff and if it happens it happens. Someone will have a hart attack soon with all this worrying!

T1000
04-06-2006, 10:33 PM
awesome man. thanks for the post.

karbinator
04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
OK, how the fuck do you download the file?!

Click the link....go to "FREE" at the bottom, then wait for 20 secs until it comes up with 3 numbers/letters, enter those 3 and wait for the link to appear.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 10:36 PM

I've had enough!

I agree with your points but its no secret Tool doesn't care about the media, they're the enemy, one of the reasons why they rarely do interviews. I still think its possible they could change, but in all honesty the album will be out in LESS THAN A MONTH MUTHA FUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ

SomethingSpecial
04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Well this settles the argument as to what Adam Jones has written on his hand during the bands recent photoshoot.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/Graffinius/Tool2.jpg

just zoom in

plexus
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
.....this is gonna be bad

KJM
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
I like how no one talks about the music. Apparently nard's view on apc is that it is no longer equal in his mind. Before he went out of his way to say it wasn't a side project.

F!end
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
NO DAMMIT!

It says:

4HORN
7:00

SomethingSpecial
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
why is that?
was this already posted or no?

SomethingSpecial
04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
NO DAMMIT!

It says:

4HORN
7:00
yeah, ya know what. You can't see if it's a t or an 4. what the fuck is 4horn?

meatchunk
04-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Tool in their 40's and still kickin ass

paraology
04-06-2006, 11:02 PM
What the hell do you have to have to open this file. I have it saved on my computer but I cant find anything that will open it. It wont open in paint. Tried opening it in word but it was some kind of foreign language. Someone copy and paste this article for easier access or something, damn.

F!end
04-06-2006, 11:04 PM
yeah, ya know what. You can't see if it's a t or an 4. what the fuck is 4horn?

how the hell could I know what 4horn is?
but it was posted already

check this image out..

http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/e0d490e5c3.jpg

pretty clear, isn't it?

meatchunk
04-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I hope and pray that I can look that healthy when I'm 40

NateDaTater
04-06-2006, 11:05 PM
I really can't tell that it says anything legible.

Light Reflections
Deja vu...

meatchunk
Deja vu...
all over again

Light Reflections
04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Winrar.

Should be a free download. Just search for it.

F!end
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM
very nice article =)

SoulEdge
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
(guitarist Adam Jones is back in LA, putting the finishing touches to the album's artwork).

Is Adam Jones creating the album artwork now, or is he more like an Art Director?

SomethingSpecial
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM

check this image out..

pretty clear, isn't it?
those pictures were tampered with (i know that sounds so gay but,.,,) look at the two on the left. There is a slash that goes under the H, look at the two on the right, the slash is not there. Someone messed with those. Maybe he wrote it on their twice to confuse people? likely? Whatever, it says THORN!!!

who knows, this thread is lame. my bad.

Light Reflections
04-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Maybe they just mixed up artwork with video. Most likely.

Natalie Portman
04-06-2006, 11:15 PM

Dude, they aren't changing the name. Seriously, stfu.

Natalie Portman
04-06-2006, 11:20 PM

check this image out..

pretty clear, isn't it?
where is the source image for the pics on the right?

ObviousParadox
04-06-2006, 11:33 PM
are you fucking serious? go suck on a 12 gauge, fucking christ.

relax. somethingspecial has a "special" grasp on reality; he blew common sense out of his brains a long time ago.

Agenda
04-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Paint won't open the article will someone post it here?

The Let Down
04-06-2006, 11:40 PM

It wouldn't create anything negative for the band. If anything it would create positive publicity. Whether the media is saying good or bad things about Tool and them changing the track names/CD name is all good because they would be talking about Tool. As the saying goes, the only type of bad publcitiy is no publicity.

Natalie Portman
04-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Paint won't open the article will someone post it here?
You need to download a program called WinRAR then. It's like a zip file, there are a bunch of jpegs inside that file.

Light Reflections
04-06-2006, 11:51 PM
This thread is whack.

(out of whack, too!)

KJM
04-06-2006, 11:53 PM
It wouldn't create anything negative for the band. If anything it would create positive publicity. Whether the media is saying good or bad things about Tool and them changing the track names/CD name is all good because they would be talking about Tool. As the saying goes, the only type of bad publcitiy is no publicity.

It's confusion, and record comapanies like anyone else selling a product would not want to create confusion at the last moment.

Briznitch
04-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah that hand writing thing is definitely different in each shot. It probably says the same thing and he wrote it on 2 seperate times for 2 seperate shoots. Cuz yeah, its different each one. Nonetheless though, is it even relevant to anything? Maybe he's reffering to something that has nothing to do with Tool like the guy from Coldplay having that maketradefair.com website written on his hand while they play. Ya never know.

Lexingtongue
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
rapidshare is shit i dont think ive ever been able to download anything from there. can some one host it elsewhere?

peterpiper
04-07-2006, 02:33 AM
I like how no one talks about the music. Apparently nard's view on apc is that it is no longer equal in his mind. Before he went out of his way to say it wasn't a side project.

Yeah, I think APC is over. It looked that way during the release of eMOTIVE. Billy wants to do his own thing, and Maynard has gotten everything he wanted from APC. I would expect Maynard to get into something different after this new Tool album fades out in a couple years.

"Well, it's not about the music when I'm taking a shit! When I'm taking a shit, it's about taking a shit!" - Maynard

Visceralus
04-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I think APC is over. It looked that way during the release of eMOTIVE. Billy wants to do his own thing, and Maynard has gotten everything he wanted from APC. I would expect Maynard to get into something different after this new Tool album fades out in a couple years.

"Well, it's not about the music when I'm taking a shit! When I'm taking a shit, it's about taking a shit!" - Maynard

Hopefully he'll fulfil those Puscifer thoughts...

dekard49
04-07-2006, 03:12 AM

I don't think even Tool have the weight to change the title now, it would fuck too much up for the retailers.

Thinking about this hypotheticially, I think the only way they could pull any sort of "trick" with the tracklisting or anything like that would be to have the album wrapped in a thin piece of packaging that conforms to the info posted on toolband, that, when opened, reveals slightly different info (to a greater or lesser degree).

If the CD shiiped with openly different details, the retail staff would be :/

Though I think the info posted on Toolband is legit.

dekard49
04-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Hopefully he'll fulfil those Puscifer thoughts...

That would be cool, though I do prefer APC to Puscifer, I still think Puscifer sounds underdeveloped. My least favourite Maynard tracks/vocals are usually ones where he sings over electronically generated noise/beats.

Visceralus
04-07-2006, 03:32 AM
That would be cool, though I do prefer APC to Puscifer, I still think Puscifer sounds underdeveloped. My least favourite Maynard tracks/vocals are usually ones where he sings over electronically generated noise/beats.

yeah i was being sarcastic.

Visceralus
04-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I don't think even Tool have the weight to change the title now, it would fuck too much up for the retailers.

Thinking about this hypotheticially, I think the only way they could pull any sort of "trick" with the tracklisting or anything like that would be to have the album wrapped in a thin piece of packaging that conforms to the info posted on toolband, that, when opened, reveals slightly different info (to a greater or lesser degree).

If the CD shiiped with openly different details, the retail staff would be :/

Though I think the info posted on Toolband is legit.

I'm not sure I agree.

...I went into a music store today, rather big retailer and the only advertising they had for the album was the Lateralus TOOL logo with a yellow outline and a stupid yellow/black gradient for the album cover. It said "10,000 Days" but it was very unnoticible. This is not exactly a big marketing move, it was printed on a home printer.

I'm not saying the album title will change, but if it is the title, they're doing a piss poor job at getting people to believe it.

mmortal03
04-07-2006, 03:41 AM
those pictures were tampered with (i know that sounds so gay but,.,,) look at the two on the left. There is a slash that goes under the H, look at the two on the right, the slash is not there. Someone messed with those. Maybe he wrote it on their twice to confuse people? likely? Whatever, it says THORN!!!

who knows, this thread is lame. my bad.

They aren't tampered with. Go here:
http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=829847&highlight=4horn#post829847

where is the source image for the pics on the right?

It is on the night photo around the pool. One of the Promo photos that came out when the other one did.

dekard49
04-07-2006, 03:45 AM
I'm not sure I agree.

...I went into a music store today, rather big retailer and the only advertising they had for the album was the Lateralus TOOL logo with a yellow outline and a stupid yellow/black gradient for the album cover. It said "10,000 Days" but it was very unnoticible. This is not exactly a big marketing move, it was printed on a home printer.

I'm not saying the album title will change, but if it is the title, they're doing a piss poor job at getting people to believe it.

Ah, what I'm trying to get at it is that i think the point would work best - that is the much speculated point that he who ows the information holds the power - as a lesson at the last point on the consumer line, with the consumer.

I just cant see a band releasing the album details to retailers (as we see on amazon, etc), and then sending them a product with a different name on it. That doesnt make sense for me. The bulk of retailers dont "know" about Tool, theyll just think theyve been sent the wrong CD's or something. It would cause untold strife.

I think the only way to pull off that trick now would to be to ensure that only when purchased could the point be driven home, and the only way i can see that happening it with extra packaging that you can only open once the item is yours.

I dont really the album name is gonna change, but its interesting to speculate on how they might achieve it.

I dont know why a lot of theyre promotional material seem insubstansial though.... maybe there being made inhouse or something...

dekard49
04-07-2006, 03:50 AM
It said "10,000 Days" but it was very unnoticible. This is not exactly a big marketing move, it was printed on a home printer.

Maybe there just trying to get one step ahead of the crowd and let the docile masses know that TOOL will be dropping soon.

Has anyone mentioned seeing actual genuine posters in retail stores?

Visceralus
04-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Maybe there just trying to get one step ahead of the crowd and let the docile masses know that TOOL will be dropping soon.

Has anyone mentioned seeing actual genuine posters in retail stores?

I haven't seen any mention of any official posters etc.

thanks for your prior post, someone making a point without swearing and acting like a child. how very strange.

circulus
04-07-2006, 04:49 AM
4 HORN 7:00 - by Google:
Search: "Four Horn Seven"

second result: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DOC] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Formato do arquivo: Microsoft Word 2000 - Ver em HTML
The four horn, seven-piece group plays music of the ‘20's & ‘30's with an emphasis on Ellington, Basie, John Kirby and some of the jazz roots of rhytm and ...
www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/0/53df9f67cffc1cf185256c37005262c4/$FILE/NewportJazz2002.doc

WTF?

STA
04-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Maynard plugged his vineyard. What a hack he is sometimes.

slicknickshady
04-07-2006, 06:02 AM
It is a great article. I enjoyed it a lot. I loved how maynard said "A Perfect Circle is like a Holiday, Tool is Coming Back Home". I like it a lot.

Hannibal
04-07-2006, 06:14 AM
I don't think changing the tracklisting/title/art right now would be that damaging. They can easily say "well, we've decided to change it" it is after all their album. Sure, some people will be upset, but things do change, its happened before.

Be that as it may, I don't think it'll happen now. The closer we get to May 2nd, the less likely it is for them to change all of the information. We're what....10 days from the single being released, any time after that and I think people will have a fuss.

meatstick
04-07-2006, 06:15 AM
I can't open the link
can someone send me a link to the text file, or a link that works???
sorry, spare the hate.

Bogart
04-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Very good read, thanks for posting that.

meatstick
04-07-2006, 06:56 AM
My PC does not like the file. any help is appreciated

thejesus
04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
My PC does not like the file. any help is appreciated

you need to download win rar..

http://www.rarlab.com/

Nebel
04-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Transcript:

POWER TOOL
After a five-year absence, Tool returns with an intriguing collection they've tentatively titled 10,000 Days. Rip It Up is left in a daze after listening to its explosive mix of pile-driving rock and haunting, otherworldliness.

"Hey, how ya doing?" We're just gonna play you a few tracks from the new album tonight, which hopefully you'll like," says Tool's vocalist Maynard James Keenan, smiling nervously moments before putting-on a sampler of their fourth album. "There's plenty of food and drink, so help yourself to that, if you're hungry - or just want to get drunk! Hope you enjoy it..."

Keenan then scampers out of the room, crammed full of journalists, record company execs and competition winners - "Because I'd be too anxious watching how you all reacted," he admits the next day - leaving bass player Justin Chancellor and drummer Danny Carey to hang-out and answer any questions (guitarist Adam Jones is back in LA, putting the finishing touches to the album's artwork)

It's an unusual situation, having two members of a band sitting-in on their own album playback. But, then again, Tool's an unusual band. After a few beers, a mountain of free food and Tool's sonic tonic, no one seems too phased about watching them over proceedings.

Carey and Chancellor seem to be enjoying themselves too, knocking-back half-a-dozen buds each and getting into the onslaught, as if it's the first time they've heard the tracks themselves.

"It was. It was the first time we'd heard the versions we played yesterday," Carey reveals, the next day. "I only got that CD the day before so it was the first time I heard it, all together, in that sequence. That was exciting.

"It was good to get some feedback from an audience and to see people's reaction, because there's an amazing sense of relief to have the music out there, to finally surrender it to other people. Now it's up to everyone else - the journalists, the record company and the public to decide what they think of it. We've done all that we can."

What Tool has done is deliver another sublime collection of passive-aggressive dirge rock, interspersed with haunting, shadow moments. It's a mix that's as fiery as the Thai tidbits on offer and as mellow as the 20-year malt on tap. But there's also a more playful side to their latest album, as the vocoders, tablas and hypnotic, electronic undercurrent suggests.

"Yeah, there's a whole bunch of new stuff on there," concedes Chancellor. "There's some electronics, a gong, a triangle, a synth, tabla, vocoder, talk box and even an egg-beater, because we just put whatever we thought we could get away with on it!"

That might explain the Native American chants and mystical, pagan feel tat infiltrates a few of the songs, including The Pot.

"That's a real Lipin Ache chant that we use on that," says Carey. "It's one they use when they perform a ritual where they call up the spirits."

"Hey, what did you make of that spear tackle that Umaga did," quizzes Chancellor, the band's solo Brit, suddenly changing subjects when he realises I'm from Auckland. "I think too much was made of it. The English players are just pussies because it wasn't that bad a tackle. Actually, the worst thing about it was all the whining afterwards. I hate the way people always whine in Britain. It's why I don't live there anymore."

"I'm doing some different 'wining," laughs Keenan, taking a sip from his glass of red. "I love having a wine - as oppose to a wine!" That's why I've started my own boutique vineyard, back home, I like New Zealand wines, especially this Pinot Noir I had when we were last over there visiting the vineyards."

"I tried a bit of surfing when I was last in Auckland," adds Chancellor. "It was at Piha, because a friend of mine, who's a Kiwi, has a house right near the beach. But I couldn't really do it and kept falling over. I've caught the bug though and had a proper surfing lesson on my birthday, and managed to stand up. It was at Maui, which was pretty awesome: the first wave I caught was at Maui!"

Clearly everyone is a lot happier this time around, compared to their last album, Lateralus, which was postponed due to equipment breaking down, problems in the recording studio and a lawsuit with their record label. It's reflected by their latest album, and the jokes and laughter peppering their conversation over the next hour.

What was the mood going into this album?

Keenan: It was pretty good, we felt really positive because we'd had a lot of shit going on with the last album. With this one things were a lot better. They were more stable so we could just concentrate on what mattered most: the music.

Were you all on the save wavelength when you got back into the studio?

Carey: Yeah, we were. But that's kind of a natural; it's always comfortable. I think that's the reason we've been able to stay together for as long as we have. Other bands just seem to fight all the time, and then they break up and disappear. With us, there's always this sense of comfort that occurs, but it's exciting at the same time too!

Nebel
04-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Continued...

Are you perfectionists in the studio?

Justin: Definitely - especially this time, I think it's because every time you do a record you look back on it and think: 'I wish we'd just taken a little extra time,' or 'I wish we'd changed that.' So this time, we just decided to keep going as long as it took and until we were completely happy with it, even if it took another few weeks.

Do you still write your songs before going in the studio, or are you less rigid these days?

Chancellor: I'd say most of it - maybe 95 per cent - is written before we go in and record it, but there's one track which we finished in the studio. We allowed ourselves that pleasure, to experiment - but everything else was pretty worked out. There are big sections where we do experiment with the music, where we think, 'let's play around with this a bit,' and we did go overboard, sometimes but we know we could always get rid of it. But in the end we didn't get rid of any of it! We kept it all because it was interesting.

After being together for so long, how come you guys haven't ended up killing each other?

Keenan: Probably because we're all 40 or over - we're not 25 - so we've already been through all the most difficult, weird times of our life before we were in this band. But if we were a younger band, say like Rage Against the Machine when they started out, playing at the Big Day Out, in front of thousands, I think that would have fucked with our heads. You're too young, at that age, to really process that kind of attention but luckily we were all past that by the time we even started this band, so we've learned to live with each other's flaws and celebrate our strengths.

Do you worry about where you fit in, especially after being away for five years?

Keenan: No, we're pretty confident that there's a set of ears out there that are looking forward to this kind of music, especially in the light of bands like Mars Volta and Queen of the Stone Age. There's an audience [out there] who understand what we do, who can sit down in a quiet space and absorb, rather than be hand-fed. So in that sense we're confident. And if we're not relevant, we're just not relevant. There's nothing I can do to turn back time. The trick is just not to worry about it, just do what you do and be comfortable in your own skin. I'm pretty sure that when we step onstage and do our show, the fans will appreciate it because we have our old songs that weathered time and we're confident these new ones will too, once people absorb them.

Is there a pressure to create something bigger and bolder than before?

Chancellor: There's definitely an intention to create something original, something new, that we've never heard before. That's the motivation for doing this. That's why we all push each other so hard, why we always try to raise the bar.

How do you achieve that?

Carey: We just try to remain true to the process, try to remain true to the chemistry that exists between us. That's always the challenge, because it's always changing. Every time we make a record we learn something; something else gets thrown into the mix. So, in that way it's always challenging, always fresh and always new. But that's what makes the music: it's not any one of us individually; it's the combination of the four of us when we step into that room that we have to be true to. If we are then it works out!

It sounds like Tool's a democracy...

Chancellor: It really is a democracy. It's like when I first joined the band these guys made sure I was an equal, straight away. They just wouldn't settle for anything less than making me a part of their every decision. It was like; 'You are fucking going to make decisions with us. You are an equal member of the band. Come on, what do you think?' That's fucking amazing.

Keenan: It's a democracy, but with a twist. It's a democracy unless one particular person feels so strongly about something the other three are compassionate enough to cater to that person's passions. We're not going to stomp on someone's toes, if it's something that's heartfelt.

Is it very reassuring having that level of support?

Chancellor: Yeah, it is, because it's like a family. Everything is treated in a really positive and fair way and everyone gets the chance to be creative. So there's not that fear of being rejected or put down. It's a really precious thing - it's not something to be taken lightly - because it allows us a really productive environment, one where everyone feels confident. I don't have that relationship with anyone else, except maybe my brother.

How does working with side-projects, like A Perfect Circle affect Tool?

Keenan: It's a whole different conversation, with a whole different set of people so there are good and bad things that come out of that. Being in A Perfect Circle did cause some friction for us, but I think it also did nothing but help us. It gave us space away from each other and allowed us to have other life experiences, which we could bring back to this project. But even though I enjoy doing something like that I wouldn't ever trade this band for it, because A Perfect Circle is just a holiday thing and Tool is like coming back home.

How have the things you write about changed?

Keenan: With our earlier albums I kind of hinted at things like social politics and environmental concerns - things I went out on a limb for with A Perfect Circle. But people just don't seem to care about anything, which left me disappointed. So, on this album, I've kind of talked about more personal stuff, things that I needed to get off my chest. That's why some of the songs are a little more cynical and almost coming from a sad place.

Is it still "all about the music"?

Keenan: It is but now I'm wary of making that blanked statement. I used to, for many years. But then I went to a benefit in LA and I had some guy following me around, all night, asking me if it was all about the music. I was like; "Yeah, it's all about the music..." and as the evening wore on he kept on coming over and asking me the same thing over and over. Eventually I got freaked out because he was getting more stalker-like and said to him, 'Well, it's not about the music when I'm taking a shit! When I'm taking a shit, it's about taking a shit' and 'When I'm eating it's about eating!' He was like, "Yeah, but when you're playing music, it's about the music, isn't it?" I just gave up and said, 'Yes, it's about the music...'

Chancellor: It's a good point though, because if it stops being about the music, then it's going to start being the individual. If that happens, that's when it's going to fall apart quickly. That's something we don't want to happen, because this is special and we want to keep it that way, no matter how hard we try.

dekard49
04-07-2006, 07:16 AM
but things do change, its happened before.

Really? This close to release?

slamminsalmon
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Thank you for this article. I love reading little hints and details about songs before I've heard them. It makes it all the more fun.

!

meatstick
04-07-2006, 07:34 AM
thanks for the link jesus
and thanks for the text everyone else.
good stuff.

welb
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
yeah Nebel, thanks for posting the transcript. very nice.

dekard49
04-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks! @ Nebel for the transcript.

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 08:15 AM
I love how They mention The Mars Volta. I know this would never happen, but TMV opening for tool would be the ultimate. That or seeing MAssive Attack before them later this month. I cant wait

Ancalagon
04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the article!

just simulacra
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I just think it's BULLSHIT that the band constantly refers to the track-names/details JUST ENOUGH to coincide with any research done on the names. Fake, man.

Especially when in the past few articles I've read, specific details are asked by the reporter --- then replied to straight away, honestly, and WAY TOO VANILLA-LIKE by Tool members.

Take, for example, the reference to THE POT and Danny's response about the "lipin" apache ... their exchange was WAY TOO BLACK AND WHITE. [Not to mention, i'm guessing, incorrect ... since it's apparently Lipan Conjuring that contains the chanting. Is this the first slip up?]

This bullshit is all about false flag marketing. It explains everything. It explains the ABSURDIST contracts anyone dealing with Tool had to sign [Anyone have a link to the article from the reviewer who REFUSED to sign it due to its complexity?], it explains Tool's forthcoming nature with the track names, with the art, with detail about the artwork. Etc.

praefector
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Also, for those who don't know what Justin is referring to when he mentions the "Umaga tackle", he is talking about Tana Umaga, a NZ rugby union player (and captain) who made a 'controversial' tackle on a British player in last year's British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand... it has very little to do with Tool and their music...

is that the guy who shoves his thumb up people's anuses when he makes a tackle?

ARMZ
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
lol John Hopoate

http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/hopoate.html

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
sexy article.

praefector
04-07-2006, 11:00 AM
lol John Hopoate

http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/hopoate.html

thats it

i thought he had a more euro name but i wasnt sure

KJM
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't think changing the tracklisting/title/art right now would be that damaging. They can easily say "well, we've decided to change it" it is after all their album. Sure, some people will be upset, but things do change, its happened before.

Be that as it may, I don't think it'll happen now. The closer we get to May 2nd, the less likely it is for them to change all of the information. We're what....10 days from the single being released, any time after that and I think people will have a fuss.

Of course it would be damaging. If they've actually printed the art they originally showed and sent out the cds, you don't think it would be a bit of a problem to say.."oh actually, we want to change it"?

ProdigyDub
04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Fucking Christ dude, lighten the fuck up.

I will as soon as you stop letting your unfounded personal disdain for the album title/tracklist pervade your logic in everything you post.

Hannibal
04-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Of course it would be damaging. If they've actually printed the art they originally showed and sent out the cds, you don't think it would be a bit of a problem to say.."oh actually, we want to change it"?

That's true. unless of course its already been changed, we've just been fed the wrong information. But I'm not clinging to the fact that its fake, in fact, I've gotten used to the names and title. Artwork doesn't bother me. At this time, I'd almost prefer it to stay 10,000 Days.

Briznitch
04-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Where are all the other articles about the album coming out? After doing searches on such sites like RollingStone.com, alternatviepress.com, blender.com, etc., not one of these major name magazines has even a hint that they have a new album coming out, and it's only a few weeks away. This fucker is on lock down or something, for real. No promotion, what's going on? Has anybody seen anything besides the ad in this article, and the other that looks similar that has been posted? ANY american magazines at all? Newspapers, websites, anything?

mattw
04-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Where are all the other articles about the album coming out? After doing searches on such sites like RollingStone.com, alternatviepress.com, blender.com, etc., not one of these major name magazines has even a hint that they have a new album coming out, and it's only a few weeks away. This fucker is on lock down or something, for real. No promotion, what's going on? Has anybody seen anything besides the ad in this article, and the other that looks similar that has been posted? ANY american magazines at all? Newspapers, websites, anything?

April 13th 2006: Tool's apparent 'embargo' on information concerning their new album ends. Thus resume checking around this time...

p.s. Nebel, thankyou for taking the time to transcribe the article!!

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Very good read - THANK YOU NEBEL!!

Briznitch
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
April 13th 2006: Tool's apparent 'embargo' on information concerning their new album ends. Thus resume checking around this time...

p.s. Nebel, thankyou for taking the time to transcribe the article!!
AH I see. Thanks for the info.

ThePatient666
04-07-2006, 05:43 PM
That was a great article. It's nice to see how down to earth they are. I'm even more excited to hear the new album now. Maybe more articles will start popping up in the next few weeks...

ripewithdecay
04-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I love how They mention The Mars Volta. I know this would never happen, but TMV opening for tool would be the ultimate. That or seeing MAssive Attack before them later this month. I cant wait

Yeah, I always wondered how they felt about TMV. And again, I concur: TMV opening for TOOL would pwn my shorts.

KJM
04-07-2006, 06:40 PM
maybe if frances the mute didn't suck so much it'd be a good show.

ripewithdecay
04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Frances the Mute does not suck. STFU plz.

<3

Hodge
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
yo guys

" I wouldn't ever trade this band for it, because A Perfect Circle is just a holiday thing and Tool is like coming back home."

this made me smile, heh

Dirty_doris
04-07-2006, 07:13 PM

Ahh no, thats rugby league, not rugby. Different code. Tana Umanga is the ex-captian of the New Zealand All Blacks, the number one ranked rugby team in the world at the moment!!! he is refering to the tackle made on a Brittish Lions player when they came touring here last year.

Ohh i love rugby. Sorry shouldnt have got started. lol

KJM
04-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Frances the Mute does not suck. STFU plz.

<3

it's wankery, and isn't nearly as interesting or fun as deloused.

praefector
04-07-2006, 07:26 PM
it's wankery, and isn't nearly as interesting or fun as deloused.

at parts yes

but a little over 2/3s of it is very solid

and "deloused..." is a tough album for any band to follow (as was tremulant)

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
at parts yes

but a little over 2/3s of it is very solid

and "deloused..." is a tough album for any band to follow (as was tremulant)

If you're looking at the album as a whole then Frances is WAY better. it's like seeing them live. I love the fuckin tangents they go on. I'm pretty faded so don't listen to me

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
If you're looking at the album as a whole then Frances is WAY better. it's like seeing them live. I love the fuckin tangents they go on. I'm pretty faded so don't listen to me

The Mars Volta is simply awsome, my favorite band next to Tool.
I'ts pretty hard to say which is better, De-Loused in terms of structure is way better, although Frances has improved a lot in terms of sound quality (they are playin much better) it's structure is less consistent, because it's divided into 3 chapters. The creation process for De-Loused was a lot different than Frances, they already had the ideia for making it like 10 years ago, when Julio Venegas died. Frances ideia came when their sound technician died in 2003. And remember that Frances was the only album they made sober lol.
And yeah, seiing TMV live is way better than what you listen in the albums, if you like improvisation of course.
Anyway, we here to talk about Tool, so don't need to flame me, I know that some of you think TMV sucks, but it's just a matter of taste.

Spaceman Spiff
04-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Gracias

Misanthrope
04-07-2006, 09:45 PM
TMV are a boring AMT cover-band.

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 09:47 PM
AMT ?

KJM
04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I think the playing on deloused is way better. Everything sounds so forced and boring on frances. The songs aren't interesting, and they seem to have felt a need, even more so than on deloused, to fill some quota of time.

I don't know why someone would say the sound quality is better on frances either. I don't remember track names (since I never listen to it), but that one that's all spanish..ick the guitars sound so gross and thin to me.

I remember picking up deloused when it came out, due to a friend's recommendation, and being blown away. That rarely happens for me and I don't think they'll ever make it happen again.

Either way, they're still good, just not a band I think I'm going to be following as closely as I did.

AMT?

cheba63
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Acid Mother Temple or somin like that.

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I think the playing on deloused is way better. Everything sounds so forced and boring on frances. The songs aren't interesting, and they seem to have felt a need, even more so than on deloused, to fill some quota of time.

I don't know why someone would say the sound quality is better on frances either. I don't remember track names (since I never listen to it), but that one that's all spanish..ick the guitars sound so gross and thin to me.

I remember picking up deloused when it came out, due to a friend's recommendation, and being blown away. That rarely happens for me and I don't think they'll ever make it happen again.

Either way, they're still good, just not a band I think I'm going to be following as closely as I did.

AMT?
I agree with you in some points, in De-Loused they are flowing, in Frances seems too much calculated and precise, but even so all the criativity is there. For example Cygnus Vismund Cygnus, for me it's the best track of TMV in terms of playin, the first time I heard it, I was, damn these guys surpassed theirselfs, I was completely blown away, altough my favorite in terms of feeling is Eriatarka. I guess you are right there is something that was in De-Loused that lacks in Frances. But, I don't find it boring and forced, just different, it just depends on how you look at it. After hearing it lot of times, you realise that that there was hard work and feeling in there, it was not to fill some quota time.
By the way, I have hope that they release another stuning album, even better than De-Loused, they are great musicians with a lot of potential.

praefector
04-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I guess you are right there is something that was in De-Loused that lacks in Frances.

that something...?

crack usage.

kaiowas_is
04-08-2006, 04:39 AM
AWESOME it won't expand the file on the mac, and even when i go to the trouble of expanding it manually, it says its corrupt :). What a good mood i'm in tonight!

submachine
04-08-2006, 04:56 AM
must...balance...extreme desire to read about new album.....with necessity to have no preconceptions....of new album.........................blank slate.....information.....blank slate....information......blank slate....information......

toocooltool
04-08-2006, 05:13 AM
must...balance...extreme desire to read about new album.....with necessity to have no preconceptions....of new album.........................blank slate.....information.....blank slate....information......blank slate....information......
Masterpiece.

the usual
04-08-2006, 05:40 AM

Nice!

the usual
04-08-2006, 05:43 AM
What the hell do you have to have to open this file. I have it saved on my computer but I cant find anything that will open it. It wont open in paint. Tried opening it in word but it was some kind of foreign language. Someone copy and paste this article for easier access or something, damn.

Really!

pushin
04-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Download WinRAR (it's free) and open it with that.

Florida_Mike
04-08-2006, 08:24 AM
In case you can't open it...

POWER TOOL
After a five-year absence, Tool returns with an intriguing collection they've tentatively titled 10,000 Days. Rip It Up is left in a daze after listening to its explosive mix of pile-driving rock and haunting, otherworldliness.

"Hey, how ya doing?" We're just gonna play you a few tracks from the new album tonight, which hopefully you'll like," says Tool's vocalist Maynard James Keenan, smiling nervously moments before putting-on a sampler of their fourth album. "There's plenty of food and drink, so help yourself to that, if you're hungry - or just want to get drunk! Hope you enjoy it..."

Keenan then scampers out of the room, crammed full of journalists, record company execs and competition winners - "Because I'd be too anxious watching how you all reacted," he admits the next day - leaving bass player Justin Chancellor and drummer Danny Carey to hang-out and answer any questions (guitarist Adam Jones is back in LA, putting the finishing touches to the album's artwork)

It's an unusual situation, having two members of a band sitting-in on their own album playback. But, then again, Tool's an unusual band. After a few beers, a mountain of free food and Tool's sonic tonic, no one seems too phased about watching them over proceedings.

Carey and Chancellor seem to be enjoying themselves too, knocking-back half-a-dozen buds each and getting into the onslaught, as if it's the first time they've heard the tracks themselves.

"It was. It was the first time we'd heard the versions we played yesterday," Carey reveals, the next day. "I only got that CD the day before so it was the first time I heard it, all together, in that sequence. That was exciting.

"It was good to get some feedback from an audience and to see people's reaction, because there's an amazing sense of relief to have the music out there, to finally surrender it to other people. Now it's up to everyone else - the journalists, the record company and the public to decide what they think of it. We've done all that we can."

What Tool has done is deliver another sublime collection of passive-aggressive dirge rock, interspersed with haunting, shadow moments. It's a mix that's as fiery as the Thai tidbits on offer and as mellow as the 20-year malt on tap. But there's also a more playful side to their latest album, as the vocoders, tablas and hypnotic, electronic undercurrent suggests.

"Yeah, there's a whole bunch of new stuff on there," concedes Chancellor. "There's some electronics, a gong, a triangle, a synth, tabla, vocoder, talk box and even an egg-beater, because we just put whatever we thought we could get away with on it!"

That might explain the Native American chants and mystical, pagan feel tat infiltrates a few of the songs, including The Pot.

"That's a real Lipin Ache chant that we use on that," says Carey. "It's one they use when they perform a ritual where they call up the spirits."

"Hey, what did you make of that spear tackle that Umaga did," quizzes Chancellor, the band's solo Brit, suddenly changing subjects when he realises I'm from Auckland. "I think too much was made of it. The English players are just pussies because it wasn't that bad a tackle. Actually, the worst thing about it was all the whining afterwards. I hate the way people always whine in Britain. It's why I don't live there anymore."

"I'm doing some different 'wining," laughs Keenan, taking a sip from his glass of red. "I love having a wine - as oppose to a wine!" That's why I've started my own boutique vineyard, back home, I like New Zealand wines, especially this Pinot Noir I had when we were last over there visiting the vineyards."

"I tried a bit of surfing when I was last in Auckland," adds Chancellor. "It was at Piha, because a friend of mine, who's a Kiwi, has a house right near the beach. But I couldn't really do it and kept falling over. I've caught the bug though and had a proper surfing lesson on my birthday, and managed to stand up. It was at Maui, which was pretty awesome: the first wave I caught was at Maui!"

Clearly everyone is a lot happier this time around, compared to their last album, Lateralus, which was postponed due to equipment breaking down, problems in the recording studio and a lawsuit with their record label. It's reflected by their latest album, and the jokes and laughter peppering their conversation over the next hour.

What was the mood going into this album?

Keenan: It was pretty good, we felt really positive because we'd had a lot of shit going on with the last album. With this one things were a lot better. They were more stable so we could just concentrate on what mattered most: the music.

Were you all on the save wavelength when you got back into the studio?

Carey: Yeah, we were. But that's kind of a natural; it's always comfortable. I think that's the reason we've been able to stay together for as long as we have. Other bands just seem to fight all the time, and then they break up and disappear. With us, there's always this sense of comfort that occurs, but it's exciting at the same time too!

Are you perfectionists in the studio?

Justin: Definitely - especially this time, I think it's because every time you do a record you look back on it and think: 'I wish we'd just taken a little extra time,' or 'I wish we'd changed that.' So this time, we just decided to keep going as long as it took and until we were completely happy with it, even if it took another few weeks.

Do you still write your songs before going in the studio, or are you less rigid these days?

Chancellor: I'd say most of it - maybe 95 per cent - is written before we go in and record it, but there's one track which we finished in the studio. We allowed ourselves that pleasure, to experiment - but everything else was pretty worked out. There are big sections where we do experiment with the music, where we think, 'let's play around with this a bit,' and we did go overboard, sometimes but we know we could always get rid of it. But in the end we didn't get rid of any of it! We kept it all because it was interesting.

After being together for so long, how come you guys haven't ended up killing each other?

Keenan: Probably because we're all 40 or over - we're not 25 - so we've already been through all the most difficult, weird times of our life before we were in this band. But if we were a younger band, say like Rage Against the Machine when they started out, playing at the Big Day Out, in front of thousands, I think that would have fucked with our heads. You're too young, at that age, to really process that kind of attention but luckily we were all past that by the time we even started this band, so we've learned to live with each other's flaws and celebrate our strengths.

Do you worry about where you fit in, especially after being away for five years?

Keenan: No, we're pretty confident that there's a set of ears out there that are looking forward to this kind of music, especially in the light of bands like Mars Volta and Queen of the Stone Age. There's an audience [out there] who understand what we do, who can sit down in a quiet space and absorb, rather than be hand-fed. So in that sense we're confident. And if we're not relevant, we're just not relevant. There's nothing I can do to turn back time. The trick is just not to worry about it, just do what you do and be comfortable in your own skin. I'm pretty sure that when we step onstage and do our show, the fans will appreciate it because we have our old songs that weathered time and we're confident these new ones will too, once people absorb them.

Is there a pressure to create something bigger and bolder than before?

Chancellor: There's definitely an intention to create something original, something new, that we've never heard before. That's the motivation for doing this. That's why we all push each other so hard, why we always try to raise the bar.

How do you achieve that?

Carey: We just try to remain true to the process, try to remain true to the chemistry that exists between us. That's always the challenge, because it's always changing. Every time we make a record we learn something; something else gets thrown into the mix. So, in that way it's always challenging, always fresh and always new. But that's what makes the music: it's not any one of us individually; it's the combination of the four of us when we step into that room that we have to be true to. If we are then it works out!

It sounds like Tool's a democracy...

Chancellor: It really is a democracy. It's like when I first joined the band these guys made sure I was an equal, straight away. They just wouldn't settle for anything less than making me a part of their every decision. It was like; 'You are fucking going to make decisions with us. You are an equal member of the band. Come on, what do you think?' That's fucking amazing.

Keenan: It's a democracy, but with a twist. It's a democracy unless one particular person feels so strongly about something the other three are compassionate enough to cater to that person's passions. We're not going to stomp on someone's toes, if it's something that's heartfelt.

Florida_Mike
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Is it very reassuring having that level of support?

Chancellor: Yeah, it is, because it's like a family. Everything is treated in a really positive and fair way and everyone gets the chance to be creative. So there's not that fear of being rejected or put down. It's a really precious thing - it's not something to be taken lightly - because it allows us a really productive environment, one where everyone feels confident. I don't have that relationship with anyone else, except maybe my brother.

How does working with side-projects, like A Perfect Circle affect Tool?

Keenan: It's a whole different conversation, with a whole different set of people so there are good and bad things that come out of that. Being in A Perfect Circle did cause some friction for us, but I think it also did nothing but help us. It gave us space away from each other and allowed us to have other life experiences, which we could bring back to this project. But even though I enjoy doing something like that I wouldn't ever trade this band for it, because A Perfect Circle is just a holiday thing and Tool is like coming back home.

How have the things you write about changed?

Keenan: With our earlier albums I kind of hinted at things like social politics and environmental concerns - things I went out on a limb for with A Perfect Circle. But people just don't seem to care about anything, which left me disappointed. So, on this album, I've kind of talked about more personal stuff, things that I needed to get off my chest. That's why some of the songs are a little more cynical and almost coming from a sad place.

Is it still "all about the music"?

Keenan: It is but now I'm wary of making that blanked statement. I used to, for many years. But then I went to a benefit in LA and I had some guy following me around, all night, asking me if it was all about the music. I was like; "Yeah, it's all about the music..." and as the evening wore on he kept on coming over and asking me the same thing over and over. Eventually I got freaked out because he was getting more stalker-like and said to him, 'Well, it's not about the music when I'm taking a shit! When I'm taking a shit, it's about taking a shit' and 'When I'm eating it's about eating!' He was like, "Yeah, but when you're playing music, it's about the music, isn't it?" I just gave up and said, 'Yes, it's about the music...'

Chancellor: It's a good point though, because if it stops being about the music, then it's going to start being the individual. If that happens, that's when it's going to fall apart quickly. That's something we don't want to happen, because this is special and we want to keep it that way, no matter how hard we try.

the usual
04-08-2006, 09:06 AM

I've had enough!

Maybe this is the best way to show their fans how the media shapes our perception of reality...............................it's always a possablity.

thautis
04-08-2006, 09:11 AM
i also put it up on my googlepages account

http://thautis.googlepages.com/

the usual
04-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Thank you florida_mike.
I really wanted to read that damn article.

.TP
04-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Tool´s new album is titled "10,000 days"???

awesome.

Exoskeletal
04-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah man, Frances only really starts kickin in Miranda and Cassandra Gemini, which are two huge epic songs. The Widow isn't bad, but it isn't great as it should be comparassing with the rest of the album. About those blank spaces, I think they are trying to push that psychadelic mood, they are not completely blank, pay attention to the details.
Dunno bout the new album, but have fun with the new live stream!
http://www.themarsvolta.com/lights.html

anonin
04-08-2006, 04:17 PM
from that "rip it up interview"

chancellor: There are big sections where we do experiment with the music, where we thingk, 'lets play around with this a big,' and we go overboard, sometimes, but we know we could always get rid of it. But in the end we didn't get rid of any of it! We kept it all because it was interesting.

I know this is tool we're talking about here, but im not so sure thats a good thing. Maybe thats his way of saying there's gonna be "cheese out" moments on the new album :p.

The Village Too
04-08-2006, 04:20 PM
i see "going overboard" is rearranging and playing around with shit too much when you've already found the thing that works beautifully. when he says they could get rid of it, they don't mean that they'll just omit the track from the album cuz it's too "overboard"; i think he means that in the writing phrase, if they take something too far that it becomes ludicrous, they can back track to the more ass kicking thing

Idiotica
i guess we'll know in a short while.

KJM
I don't know.

WE HAVEN'T HEARD IT YOU ASSFACE.

-love

Idiotica
04-08-2006, 04:28 PM
actually i just heard vicarious!! ... no wait i'm lying.

anonin
04-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't know.

WE HAVEN'T HEARD IT YOU ASSFACE.

-love

no shit, im just saying...

KJM
04-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I am too. How can anyone know if it is or isn't good if they haven't heard it? Sometimes it works for bands, other times it doesn't.

NoD
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
If it's like The Godfather 2, yes....if it's like King Kong, fuck no

Idiotica
04-08-2006, 04:43 PM

ATARI
04-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Speaking of the new TMV album, when is that gonna come out?

Hopefully NEVER

Neil
04-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Im concerned that Danny claims that its the first time he's heard the album all the eway through.

That has got to be a lie, surely?

KJM
04-08-2006, 08:38 PM
in the order it was in

Exoskeletal
04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Hopefully NEVER
Go die with cancer.

Vegama
04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
CallOfCthulhu didn't deserve to read H.P. Lovecraft.

hobophobe
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Wok was right. I was wrong.

I mistakenly thought an Australian magazine called Rip It Up was the alleged source of the interview.

Damn I'm smart. Ah well. Sorry.

Visceralus
04-10-2006, 04:21 PM
article was legit.