PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Leary

HoldYourLight11
11-22-2002, 09:39 AM
So i'm sitting in my English forum the other day... and my professor is talking on and on about essays that we have to read and all that crap- and she mentions Timothy Leary and asks "Does anyone know anything about him?"

And i got all excited like a four year old and raised my hand, saying i knew. She asked me what his thoughts on life, summed up, were.

So basically i said "Think for yourself. Question Authority."

And she commended me for being so well-read and researched on the subject of modern philosophers.

I just did my big grin and thanked the lord for a band that can actually make me smarter.

4degreeswarmer
11-22-2002, 07:29 PM
there's something Staind can't teach.

there's something Britney can't comprehend.

intelligence...it's an amazing thing.

cradled
11-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Add to that a streak for giving the finger to anyone that tries to fuck with you and you have quite a potent brew.

timesig.net
11-26-2002, 07:49 AM
Timothy Leary has been refered to in many pretexts, but the king of acid trips has one problem with his writings. They are totally contradictory, while remaining totally enlightened. He seems to be toying with the common person by TELLING him to THINK FOR HIMSELF. If you think about it this is not freedom, and perhaps his literature isn't stuff to live by. His stuff is very useful if you stay on your own train of thought while remaining vulnerable and open.
Most of all, the deluded ramblings of a madman have inspired great things from petty people(in turn making them great in their own aspect). Leary has great insight, but take it with a grain of (selected mineral-no mdma or thc though!!)

chimera
12-02-2002, 01:46 PM
wow, the lack of insight and thought that is displaid is mind boggeling. i dont think oyu are getting the point that was trying to be made.

what the good dr. leary ment with this statement was to break your habbits. creat something new. drop out of the television studio game and all it's entrappings. creat your own religion, and so on and so forth.

i recomend reading "turn on tune in drop out" it will help add a little more back ground to the good dr.

realitytrip
12-15-2002, 09:16 AM
Thats very true. (Holdyourlight) thats good that you learned a name and all... but repeating something you heard isnt learning.. I like to point that out because thats how misinformation gets spread around. but the phrase "Think for yourself, Question authority" ironiclly enough is about just that.. not believing and going along with everything you hear.. listen sure.. but then make of it what you will.. dont see a painting for how it was meant to be seen.. but instead see it how youw want to see it, see it for what it reflects on YOUR life..

Well Known
12-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Here's to getting excited like little 4 year olds. I support such behavior. :)