PDA

View Full Version : a very important

dracomordag
04-06-2006, 07:06 PM
question.

i see everyone complaining about toolband.com sucking, blair being a fucktard, etc., but...

what do you guys want? seriously. we have the album art (if not the cover art, than at least something involved/related), tracklist, album title, single title, single release date and album release date.

is there something we're missing? is there something RHCP and PJ have that we don't (other than a single available)?

if you fail to come up with anything significant, than please refrain from bitching henceforth. you have nothing to complain about.

Ocelot199
04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I think we're all bitching because we're all really dissapointed with everything we've been given: Lame album name, half-assed track listing, rehashed album art... Even the people who pretend to like it all are bitching about the lack of information. They're expecting something better to come along and surprise us, probably.

KJM
04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
tourdates and information to be put up before we find out about it somewhere else two weeks in advance.

is the video done? when will it air?

astrorot
04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
an end to the speculation and the unneccesary 'mystery' behind this release. the stupid codes and hidden meanings bullshit is so overplayed by blair and tool. oh and a newsletter and website that has more bullshit information on it than somethingawful.com

Opiate_Mass
seen the new supposed promo artwork?
i'll admit i quite like it now that it's not cropped

mike09
I think we're all bitching because we're all really dissapointed with everything we've been given: Lame album name, half-assed track listing, rehashed album art... Even the people who pretend to like it all are bitching about the lack of information. They're expecting something better to come along and surprise us, probably.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.

sur
04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I like the album name, the tracklist, and the album art, and cause i believed the official info don't feel any lack of information.

I love this days like i loved the pre-lateralus days.

dracomordag
04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
tourdates and information to be put up before we find out about it somewhere else two weeks in advance.

is the video done? when will it air?

a) chances are if you're not hearing it straight from TB.com or the venue itself, the rumors are fake. what venues have confirmed shows that we have not heard about from TB.com?

b) the video is near done, and will air soon after the single is released to airwaves

dracomordag
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
sorry, but that's the way it goes... and why would you channel this anger through saying that TB doesnt give out enough info?

i'll admit i'm not 100% happy with the info as of now, but i didn't really expect to be.

awaking
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
if you don't like a band with mystery go listen to the backstreet boys, quit your bitching noobs

zweitracht
04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
b) the video ... will air soon after the single is released to airwaves

how do you know this?

Briznitch
04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
My point on the website being this:

It's a TOOL website, not Blair's fucking myspace account. If he wants to talk about his vacations and trips, get a myspace and leave the Tool site for Tool news. Especially this close to a release, and we haven't heard an interview or seen anything real or been given any samples or lyrics or anything. You'd think with less than a month to go and this being your first album in half a decade, there'd be something besides a Rock vacation taken by a guy who simply runs Tool's website, nothing more.

Ocelot199
04-06-2006, 07:22 PM
sorry, but that's the way it goes... and why would you channel this anger through saying that TB doesnt give out enough info?

i'll admit i'm not 100% happy with the info as of now, but i didn't really expect to be.
Because what else are we gonna bitch at? Aside from holding onto the hope that something might change, we've got to deal with the fact that this album has been a real let down so far. I haven't gotten a thrill from anything we've been given thus far, and thats really really dissapointing to me. The only place to vent my frusteration is the only direct contact I have with the band, which is their website, which happens to be run by a pile of shit that knows how to type.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

FickMyDuck
04-06-2006, 07:22 PM
we want a fucking legitimate leak.

lucydog
04-06-2006, 07:27 PM
i think this whole thing going around that the "tracknames/album name arent toolish" is pretty retarded. WHO CARES? how do you know they are bad names, when you havent heard the songs? if they are fake? WHO CARES! they whole reason tool pulls this is cause the fans are so obsessive.

burningsky
04-06-2006, 07:32 PM

Speak for yourself man, i dont dislike anything they've put out as far as art and titles go. I'd be pissed if the rehashed art actually sucked, but I really like that Alex Grey painting, so them using it doesn't bother me. As some people are saying, the only thing that ever bothers me about tool's website is that blair just goes on and on about stuff that has nothing to do with tool. Although, they could argue that those are their friends' bands and they want to promote them; thus, it does have to do with tool. Still, I'd rather know what socks justin chancellor is wearing today than find out about a single butcher show.

Ocelot199
04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
i think this whole thing going around that the "tracknames/album name arent toolish" is pretty retarded. WHO CARES? how do you know they are bad names, when you havent heard the songs? if they are fake? WHO CARES! they whole reason tool pulls this is cause the fans are so obsessive.
My beef isn't that they're not Toolish enough. My beef is that they're half assed and uninspired. Especially the album art we've been given. Tool had 5 years to come up with something, and they end up reusing an old piece of art for their album? How goddamn lame is that?

UnasTheSlayer
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
My beef isn't that they're not Toolish enough. My beef is that they're half assed and uninspired. Especially the album art we've been given. Tool had 5 years to come up with something, and they end up reusing an old piece of art for their album? How goddamn lame is that?

I agree with you 100%. Frankly, when I saw the album mini (aka a black and white version of an alex grey painting) I got no rise whatsoever.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 07:43 PM

Well said

oneredflag
04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
May 2nd - "...and the truth will set you free"

I cannot be dissapointed with a record that is not out yet. All this shit is just frills.

dissonance19
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
half assed and uninspired? how you can say something like that without hearing what it is about, is beyond me. they always put a lot into things and things have always made sense. not sure why it would be any different now.

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I think it's funny that all of the bitching and moaning stems from one simple fact:

You expect too much from a band that is habitually aloof.

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
My beef isn't that they're not Toolish enough.Ugh. There it is. The fanboy argument.

Tool had 5 years to come up with something, and they end up reusing an old piece of art for their album?Two things:

1. Five years? Hardly. Two years? Maybe. The band toured for almost two years on Lateralus, took a break, and did their side projects for a while. Then they took another break and started serious efforts on this album. What more do you want?

2. Reusing old art? What the hell? Same artist, sure, but old art? You've got to be kidding me!

I hope all of the bitchers and moaners hate the album and subsequently leave this place to make room for people who are a less irritating to listen to.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Because what else are we gonna bitch at?Aside from holding onto the hope that something might change, we've got to deal with the fact that this album has been a real let down so far. I haven't gotten a thrill from anything we've been given thus far, and thats really really dissapointing to me. The only place to vent my frusteration is the only direct contact I have with the band, which is their website, which happens to be run by a pile of shit that knows how to type.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Here's a thought, don't bitch. If you're that upset with the band for doing what they do, don't be a fan anymore. I mean seriously, you haven't even heard the album so how can you be disappointed with it and call it a let down? This isn't YOUR band, it's theirs. It's their music. Their work. So maybe their titles on Lateralus were nifty and made you think before the album was out. This isn't Lateralus. Adam said in Guitar World, which that whole article should have gotten you excited about the album because it was about the MUSIC and not the fucking titles, that this is more of a "think about others" album rather than "think for yourself." You have to undertand that when you look at someone they are a totally different person and have had different experiences. How can you say that the titles are uninspired when you don't have anything to put with them?

About the art, Tool didn't have five years to come up with something. They had a year or so, WHILE they were making music at the same time. Maybe the felt it would be best to use art that was already made. Perhaps everything they were looking for in the art already existed. Why invent a new wheel when the one we have works so well? Maybe there is more to the art, I don't know. My point is, you don't know either so you shouldn't get down about it without a solid reason.

lucydog
04-06-2006, 09:01 PM
exactly. the track names could be very meaningful, in context to the song. you just dont know yet. and, if you read the recent adam jones interview- they havent been working on it for 5 years. he said 1 year. maynard's been recording/touring with APC, making wine, finding jesus and the like. danny's been playing with his other bands, and im sure they all just want to take a break and explore their mid-life crisises. from what i understand, they have all been writing music/lyrics and what not, but when they came together the ideas mutated and evolved. should they have came up with some really cool track names first, then written a song that fits? half of the people i know dont even know the names of their favorite songs.

just because YOU have been fanasizing about the next tool album for the last 5 years, doesnt mean that they all have.

Howard
04-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I really don't have problems with the tracklist or the album name. About the artwork, it won't be exactly this. maybe this pic won't even appear on the album. This is the only thing that is not totally "clear" for the public.

pops333
04-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Ugh. There it is. The fanboy argument.

Two things:

1. Five years? Hardly. Two years? Maybe. The band toured for almost two years on Lateralus, took a break, and did their side projects for a while. Then they took another break and started serious efforts on this album. What more do you want?

2. Reusing old art? What the hell? Same artist, sure, but old art? You've got to be kidding me!

I hope all of the bitchers and moaners hate the album and subsequently leave this place to make room for people who are a less irritating to listen to.

I can't wait for most of these pussies to decide that Tool isn't dark and mysterious enough for them and give up. There will be some big rant about how Tool sold out and how its all about the money (no shit). Soon they'll figure out that Tool has been fucking with them the whole time and they fell right into the hilarious jokes. Tool has an image that they're maintaining, and the people who eat up the image are going to be hugely dissatisfied.

If you're expecting the second disk for Lateralus, you're going to be sad. 10,000 Days will to past Tool albums what With Teeth was to past NIN albums.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
If you're expecting the second disk for Lateralus, you're going to be sad. 10,000 Days will to past Tool albums what With Teeth was to past NIN albums.

That's gonna make people go crazy because a lot of people hate With_Teeth.

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
That's gonna make people go crazy because a lot of people hate With_Teeth.That'sa theira problema.

pops333
04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
That's gonna make people go crazy because a lot of people hate With_Teeth.

I know. Most of the people I knew didn't like it. I told them, "wait until the tour that supports it, these songs are meant to be played live".

I'm sure I'll like this new album, because I'm not expecting it to be the most amazing thing ever.

pops333
04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
That'sa theira problema.

Pizza Pizza!

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Pizza Pizza!It'sa me!

Briznitch
04-06-2006, 09:21 PM
It's gonna actually suck for TOOL if their album really IS including all these details that everyone is bitching about. I mean, look at the ratio of people who like/dislike the album title and reused art. Most of these people are pretty big TOOL fans. If this is all true, word HAS to get back to TOOL at some point that thousands and thousands of their fans hate their album title and think it's a ripoff of Disturbed's album title. If thousands of people disliked something I made, I'd take it as a small shot to my self confidence. Kinda like "wow, I'm losing that touch".

Like I said, I just don't want to lose any of the respect I have for TOOL's creativity and originality. Still hanging on to the possibility of a hoax. Which in all actuality, would be the ULTIMATE in creativity I think. Fooling the entire world to prevent an album leak. Fuckin brilliant.

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
It's gonna actually suck for TOOL if their album really IS including all these details that everyone is bitching about. No, what will suck for Tool is coming in 2nd to Pearl Jam on the Billboard debut that week.

Nothing else will matter.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM

I think the title, track listing, and album art are great. So I'm not pretending to like it.

I think we've been given everything that we should have been given at this point. Personally my only issue is with blair using the Tool NEWSLETTER to document shit that in no way relates to Tool. IF he doesn't have some sort of ancillary info to give us (i.e. fun and stupid details about what the guys have been doing the past month), he just shouldn't write a newsletter at all. He can save his diary for a blog.

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
half assed and uninspired? how you can say something like that without hearing what it is about, is beyond me. they always put a lot into things and things have always made sense. not sure why it would be any different now.

As a music fan I feel artwork and titles are JUST as important as the music. Thats just me though......

CallofCthulhu
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
No, what will suck for Tool is coming in 2nd to Pearl Jam on the Billboard debut that week.

Nothing else will matter.

I dont think I'm alone on this when I say I dont think Tool cares about that. And Pearl Jam's audience has been waning for years whereas Tool's is growing.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:29 PM
It's gonna actually suck for TOOL if their album really IS including all these details that everyone is bitching about. I mean, look at the ratio of people who like/dislike the album title and reused art. Most of these people are pretty big TOOL fans. If this is all true, word HAS to get back to TOOL at some point that thousands and thousands of their fans hate their album title and think it's a ripoff of Disturbed's album title. If thousands of people disliked something I made, I'd take it as a small shot to my self confidence. Kinda like "wow, I'm losing that touch".

Like I said, I just don't want to lose any of the respect I have for TOOL's creativity and originality. Still hanging on to the possibility of a hoax. Which in all actuality, would be the ULTIMATE in creativity I think. Fooling the entire world to prevent an album leak. Fuckin brilliant.

It's much more likely that the band will realize that some of their fans are ridiculously dense and and devoid of any capacity for logical reasoning, and they will also probably be a little bit irritated by the fact that many of these random Joe's think they know better than the band themselves what kind of title/tracknames/artwork are "sufficiently Tool-esque"

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
As a music fan I feel artwork and titles are JUST as important as the music. Thats just me though......

Yeah, the titles are important--in relation to the music.

They have absolutely no significance until youve heard the music and the lyrics. Stop whining when you don't even know what the titles represent.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, the titles are important--in relation to the music.

They have absolutely no significance until youve heard the music and the lyrics. Stop whining when you don't even know what the titles represent.

Titles aren't necessary though. Especially to a band that stresses the music.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Titles aren't necessary though. Especially to a band that stresses the music.

Titles are just a means of referring to the song.

I'm pretty sure you and I think the same way on this. I was just reminding him that the titles don't mean anything when stripped of their relationship to the music, and thus its foolish to even start to judge them before youve heard the record.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Titles are just a means of referring to the song.

I'm pretty sure you and I think the same way on this. I was just reminding him that the titles don't mean anything when stripped of their relationship to the music, and thus its foolish to even start to judge them before youve heard the record.

Oh I'm pretty sure you and I feel the same way. I seem to recall seeing your name a lot in these discussions and thinking to myself "This guy is really gonna appreciate the album." But yeah, I agree that since we have titles, it doesn't make sense to judge the record already. I still stand by my notion that Rosetta Stoned is too juvenile sounding for my liking. It's like some stoner decided he wants to sounds intellectual. Having said that, I haven't heard it in context and since it's apparently about some secret, I just have to wait and see.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh I'm pretty sure you and I feel the same way. I seem to recall seeing your name a lot in these discussions and thinking to myself "This guy is really gonna appreciate the album." But yeah, I agree that since we have titles, it doesn't make sense to judge the record already. I still stand by my notion that Rosetta Stoned is too juvenile sounding for my liking. It's like some stoner decided he wants to sounds intellectual. Having said that, I haven't heard it in context and since it's apparently about some secret, I just have to wait and see.

Agreed. You're one of the most reasonable and logically minded posters on the board, which I appreciate.

Give the titles like Rosetta Stoned a chance--I have a feeling that some of the titles that seem kind of mundane will actually be the most brilliant because what they represent will be something none of us expected.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Agreed. You're one of the most reasonable and logically minded posters on the board, which I appreciate.

Give the titles like Rosetta Stoned a chance--I have a feeling that some of the titles that seem kind of mundane will actually be the most brilliant because what they represent will be something none of us expected.

Oh I'm gonna give it a chance but it just seems blasphemous to do that to such a significant artifact. I don't mind anything else. Personally, I rarely think about how the title refers to the song unless it's obvious. Parabola? Let's see...I graph 4x²+9 and I get......recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing..........nope sorry. Song titles are almost worthless to me except like you said, referring to the track.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh I'm gonna give it a chance but it just seems blasphemous to do that to such a significant artifact. I don't mind anything else. Personally, I rarely think about how the title refers to the song unless it's obvious. Parabola? Let's see...I graph 4x²+9 and I get......recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing..........nope sorry. Song titles are almost worthless to me except like you said, referring to the track.

I can definitely where you're coming from about it being blasphemous--though I can't say I feel very strongly about the Rosetta Stone.

As for what you said about Parabola--I laughed. Go over to the Album forums and peruse through some of the ridiculous connections people try to make between titles and "profound meanings". You'll get a kick out of it.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 09:58 PM
I can definitely where you're coming from about it being blasphemous--though I can't say I feel very strongly about the Rosetta Stone.

As for what you said about Parabola--I laughed. Go over to the Album forums and peruse through some of the ridiculous connections people try to make between titles and "profound meanings". You'll get a kick out of it.

Yeah I'm not sure I really care about the stone either, it's just the principle.

I'd rather not read through all that. It was bad enough reading that guy's lengthy explanation on how Maynard was talking to him in those barely audible pieces in No Quarter and Eulogy.

Hannibal
04-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm posing this question not to start a fight. but seeing as how half right now dislike the album, and the tracklisting, and the artwork, and the other half embrace it, what if it gets switched? Like the band says "oops, we changed it" and we have totally new information like on the 13th or something....how will everyone feel then? I'm not saying its going to happen, but as we all know, its definitely a possibiilty. And who's to say that if there is a new set of information, that any of us will like it better.

I guess its not too much a real question...I don't know.

Goldfoot
04-06-2006, 10:07 PM
what if it gets switched? Like the band says "oops, we changed it" and we have totally new information like on the 13th or something....how will everyone feel then?

I think you know but I'll say that I don't care unless they change the date.

pops333
04-06-2006, 10:08 PM

i used to troll the shit out of these forums.

people do say some rediculous shit. honestly, I think most of the whole mystery thing is an image. its a way to make teenagers think they've stumpled on to something only they know of, its a chance to be overly pretentious and know it all.

pops333
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah I'm not sure I really care about the stone either, it's just the principle.

I'd rather not read through all that. It was bad enough reading that guy's lengthy explanation on how Maynard was talking to him in those barely audible pieces in No Quarter and Eulogy.

my favorite was this crazy bitch talking about 11:11 and the power behind it.

maybe I was just being trolled myself though, it sounded too dumb to be true. then I googled 11:11 and there were some unintentionally hilarious websites devoted to its power.

ProdigyDub
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
i used to troll the shit out of these forums.

people do say some rediculous shit. honestly, I think most of the whole mystery thing is an image. its a way to make teenagers think they've stumpled on to something only they know of, its a chance to be overly pretentious and know it all.

Correct on all counts, except that it's not just teenagers...unfortunately.

pops333
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Correct on all counts, except that it's not just teenagers...unfortunately.

i found that thread with that one insane chick

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=8128&highlight=11%3A11

i played in a band with a drummer who is a paranoid schizophrenic. a lot of what this chick says sounds like what the drummer would tell me about 2 days before he'd end up in a psychiatric hospital.

he gave me this book, The Language Crystal, all about the signifigance of 666. It made absolutely no sense and was a total mind fuck.

Chris_Brightwell
04-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I think you know but I'll say that I don't care unless they change the date.I won't care then, either.

I refuse to get excited, disappointed, or pissed off about anything until it's in my hands and I can hear it.

The Let Down
04-06-2006, 11:19 PM
i don't understand why people want to continually complain about the track listing, artwork etc. After looking at all the previous song names and comparing them to the list we were given for 10,000 Days I personally don't think that the tracklisting is real, however even if it turns out to be the real tracklisting, I'm still not going to cast judgement until I hear the music. Because in the end it doesn't matter what the song name is, it's about what the music says.

as for the artwork, i'm sure tool could give a fuck if you like the album cover. if you're disappointed with it go buy an album cover that makes you drool.

sur
04-07-2006, 06:18 AM
an example: the mars volta.....worst viedos ever, worst artwork ever, worst album names ever>>>>my favorite band. along with tool.

to me is just the music. and the lyrics.

(if you want a better logo is because you want to buy a t-shirt and look cool, you stupid kid)

paraflux
04-07-2006, 06:24 AM
I pretty much completely went against it.
Me too. I'm not disappointed with anything... How can I be? I havent heard anything. I havent seen anything in my hands. I dont understand why anyone can actually be disappointed in the lack of information. Who gives a shit? It'll be here in 3 weeks.

paraflux
04-07-2006, 06:25 AM

It's a TOOL website, not Blair's fucking myspace account. If he wants to talk about his vacations and trips, get a myspace and leave the Tool site for Tool news. Especially this close to a release, and we haven't heard an interview or seen anything real or been given any samples or lyrics or anything. You'd think with less than a month to go and this being your first album in half a decade, there'd be something besides a Rock vacation taken by a guy who simply runs Tool's website, nothing more.
Obviously if he wasnt doing what the band wanted him to do, he would be fired.

Muladhara
04-07-2006, 06:29 AM
I don't really like the logo. I like the artwork and most of the track titles, with the exception of Right In Two but I'm sure it'll fit the song.

The logo has me wondering what Kabir meant by "F()OL LP" being significant.

thejesus
04-07-2006, 06:34 AM
question.

i see everyone complaining about toolband.com sucking, blair being a fucktard, etc., but...

what do you guys want? seriously. we have the album art (if not the cover art, than at least something involved/related), tracklist, album title, single title, single release date and album release date.

is there something we're missing? is there something RHCP and PJ have that we don't (other than a single available)?

if you fail to come up with anything significant, than please refrain from bitching henceforth. you have nothing to complain about.

what I want is for there to be info about THE BAND in the THE BAND'S monthly newsletter....

They're releasing their 1st album in half-a-decade, and instead of info about the album or tour, we get a detailed account of some f*cktard's camping trip out in the middle of the f*cking desert...

And if you can't come up with a good reason for the band's newsletter to be filled with this crap, then please, sit down and shut the f*ck up

sur
04-07-2006, 06:39 AM
what info do you need?

the tour is gonna be announced soon i supposed, and the album is on may 2

what else do you need?

thejesus
04-07-2006, 07:06 AM
what info do you need?

the tour is gonna be announced soon i supposed, and the album is on may 2

what else do you need?

repeating myself for those who can't read, I want info about THE BAND in THE BAND's newsletter...

when I tune into watch football, it's because I want to watch football, not g*ddamn figure skating....

And when I read the Tool newsletter, I want info about Tool...not the adventures of some jerkoff who has nothing to do with the band or it's music...

Cucumber_11
04-07-2006, 08:20 AM
repeating myself for those who can't read, I want info about THE BAND in THE BAND's newsletter...

when I tune into watch football, it's because I want to watch football, not g*ddamn figure skating....

And when I read the Tool newsletter, I want info about Tool...not the adventures of some jerkoff who has nothing to do with the band or it's music...

I enjoy the newsletters. I always see them as a way for the band to educate their fans and get them to think, rather than a place to get info on how many times maynard farted in the previous month.

Think what would happen if the newsletters were just about Tool... Half would be blank, how much can go down in a month during a year break from touring? Buttkiss, narda, nothing. So what do they do? The try to educate their fans. No other band does this and i am bloody gratefull for tool doing it.

Having said that, this close to a release is quite frustrating, and i can see where you are coming from.

dancingflame
04-07-2006, 08:25 AM
go - get - a - life !

Cucumber_11
04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
go - get - a - life !
why - the - hell - should - we?

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I enjoy the newsletters. I always see them as a way for the band to educate their fans and get them to think, rather than a place to get info on how many times maynard farted in the previous month.

Think what would happen if the newsletters were just about Tool... Half would be blank, how much can go down in a month during a year break from touring? Buttkiss, narda, nothing. So what do they do? The try to educate their fans. No other band does this and i am bloody gratefull for tool doing it.

Having said that, this close to a release is quite frustrating, and i can see where you are coming from.

Or Maybe, Just maybe your letting them think for you. You know there are many other things to explore besides what tool is into...

Cucumber_11
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Or Maybe, Just maybe your letting them think for you. You know there are many other things to explore besides what tool is into...
Oh my god, really?

You trying to say that i get all my information on the earth and such from Tool Newsletters? ...that in itself is closed minded. Of course I educate myself anyway i can, from a wide array of different sources. I didn't think it was applicable to list all of them when i was merely refering to one source of information.

And that's far from the point. The point is Tool are educating their fans on things that they may not have knowledge on, they give them just enough information to get them interested, then they can search and make their own discoveries. They're merely broadening their fans knowledge, and i see nothing wrong with that.

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Calm down buddy, I did say maybe. I'd say you schooled me.

its weird to see that kind of open mindedness in this forum, huh? Someone admitting they were wrong...

Spoon
04-07-2006, 08:46 AM
we've got to deal with the fact that this album has been a real let down so far....

OH MY FUCKING GOD, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD THE MUSIC YET

WTF is wrong with these people?

Cucumber_11
04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
its weird to see that kind of open mindedness in this forum, huh? Someone admitting they were wrong...

I'm scared.

*runs and hides behind you*

I can't wait 'till this album comes out and everyone who hated everything about it starts sucking Tool's dick and proclaiming how godly every single last inch of the album is...

...i bet you they will all do it.

Tyro
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM

Here here! *raises glass*

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm scared.

I can't wait 'till this album comes out and everyone who hated everything about it starts sucking Tool's dick and proclaiming how godly every single last inch of the album is...

...i bet you they will all do it.

I LOLed.

I know that they will not dissapoint, as always. I'm just waiting for the music. Once it comes out, Tool will be getting so much head from TDN. If I were in the band I would do exactly what they are doing and watch TDN just to laugh. I bet everything they do to fuck with their fans is really just to fuck with some of the people on this forum

UofI98
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
if you don't like a band with mystery go listen to the backstreet boys, quit your bitching noobs

Well put, thank you! Couldn't have said it better.

Grimface
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Just sit back, relax, grab a beer and chill the fuck out. We'll get it eventually.

BlairLicksTaint
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Just sit back, relax, grab a beer and chill the fuck out. We'll get it eventually.

Couldn't have said it better myself (well, have a joint with that beer)

stinkfish
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM

but I want it now

NOW NOW NOW GIVE IT TO ME GIVE IT GIVE IT TO ME I WANT IT NOW I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW

Novus Opiate Seclorum
04-07-2006, 09:33 AM
All in all it comes down to one point its tool they wont dissapoint.

Goldfoot
04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself (well, have a joint with that beer)

On my way. See you guys later.

TurdEye13
04-07-2006, 10:28 AM
we are lame

praefector
04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
dunno

weve got as much info as is pertinent at this point

some people want lyrics...what good are lyrics when weve never heard the song?

some people want the whole experience spoiled for them by a website.

personally i like blair's approach to his newsletter duties. he doesnt just shower us with "maynard said this...and then adam said this... and then we ate cookies and milk" he actually tells a personal story and weaves in some subtle clues and details and actually clues us in on the mythology or themes the band is currently exploring.

of course we run the risk of being led astray down a path of irrelevance but can you honestly say youve read a blair newsletter and NOT been made privy to at least SOMETHING you werent aware of before?

dekard49
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
personally i like blair's approach to his newsletter duties. he doesnt just shower us with "maynard said this...and then adam said this... and then we ate cookies and milk" he actually tells a personal story and weaves in some subtle clues and details and actually clues us in on the mythology or themes the band is currently exploring.

I think the approach is fine in theory, I *want to* be gently pushed in the direction of Tools influences rather than be handed them on a platter; I just wish he would do it in a more objective/article based format, rather than the subjective/blog type approach he uses now.

dracomordag
04-07-2006, 11:11 AM

so you want to hear Adam say "well today i woke up and showered. then i went to the store and bought some food. i ate. it was good."

wtf is wrong with you

praefector
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM

you cant judge them independently from the music though

as an artist you have to stay objective until the ENTIRE work is finished

itd be like a painter telling another painter "your painting sucks even though you havent put the yellows and blues in yet"...it isnt fair to judge ANY artwork until it is completed

burningsky
04-07-2006, 01:14 PM
It's just that they're not even newsletters. Newsletter implies that it will give you news at length about a band. These are just long journal entries about the travels of blair and friends. It's not necessary to get the daily activities of the band revealed to us, but don't bother telling us about UFO bullshit because it's irrelevant to the band. Blair is such a clown.

Indrid Cold
04-07-2006, 02:51 PM

You're right in so many ways. I've noticed how there's a variety of things people dislike and like about the new album, whether it be one thing or all 3. For me I'm not too fond of the album name, some songs in the tracklisting and especially the cover art. I want to be able to accept it like how some of you are able too, but I just can't pretend to like something I don't like. I'm sure if anything the music will make up for it all in the end and turn out alright.

toocooltool
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Shut the fuck up everyone until you have the album art in one hand, the cd in a cd player, and the other hand in your pants.

dracomordag
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
It's just that they're not even newsletters. Newsletter implies that it will give you news at length about a band. These are just long journal entries about the travels of blair and friends. It's not necessary to get the daily activities of the band revealed to us, but don't bother telling us about UFO bullshit because it's irrelevant to the band. Blair is such a clown.

so you would rather have the site remain utterly inactive for the majority of the time?

if you don't like the newsletters, don't read them.

insaner
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
how do you know this?

why, he doesnt!

insaner
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM

so, what you in essence are saying, if im not mistaken, is that you are better equipped to let tool know what they should post on their very own website than the band themselves?

i mean, you think blair is there cause tool cant get rid of him?

insaner
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM

i hope not. not that i dont like with teeth, but still. i hope its more like what the fragile was to downward spiral.

Exoskeletal
04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I don't care much about the newsletters or the irrelevant news on toolband, if you like it cool, if you don't, simply ignore it. Blair is the webmaster so he has the right to do whatever he wants with "his" website, of course there must something related to tool or the tool family, and there is, otherwise it would be called blairblog.com.
I believe it's not Blair fault the lack of relevant news about the album, if Tool doesn't want to reveal anything about it until it's release, it's their matter, whether you like it or not. Of course I would like to read some objective stuff about the album, like the interviews on Guitar World and Rip It Up, but, whatever...
So quit bitchin around and enjoy Blair's trips and news related to other bands connected to Tool.

sillymonkey
04-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Tool fans (typically?) are info seekers. Lotsa questions too few answers. The site doesn't satisfy my curiosity either, but I blame the boys in the band. Whatever, if they wanna keep it all core-of -the-earth downl ow, well then so be it. I haven't been dissappointed by them yet.

cacophony
04-09-2006, 01:11 AM
I like the album name, the tracklist, and the album art, and cause i believed the official info don't feel any lack of information.

I love this days like i loved the pre-lateralus days.

Most won't agree with you, however I agree fully. I very much like album/track title/art etc....

I'm very excited about it all...

No need to feel dissapointed/let down at all over here....

Carbonatedgravy
04-09-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm not disappointed yet. Just worried. The amount of information we have is fine as far as I'm concerned, but some of that presented information, particularly the artwork, is difficult to trust or make sense of. I'm still terrified that this thing will turn out to be blatantly political, but I guess that's to be discussed in a different thread.

Idiotica
04-09-2006, 01:40 AM
i want more nothing seems to satisfy etc.

Het_Bijeenroepen
04-09-2006, 04:40 AM
I find Blair's newsletters fun to read; they're like a jigsaw puzzle. I like going back to the old newsletters once new pieces have been revealed and seeing how it all fits together. I think that Blair has offered quite a lot of information about the new album in the last three newsletters -- Rosetta Stoned is an epic in the key of D; Jambi had a different working title which was changed late, towards the end of the mixing; one of the seque's had to be left off the album due to time constraints; the singles will be Vicarious and The Pot; the live DVD will be released June 6.

I'd rather have a website that is at least vaguely interesting, rather than say A Perfect Circle's website.

Carbonatedgravy
04-09-2006, 05:16 AM
I find Blair's newsletters fun to read; they're like a jigsaw puzzle. I like going back to the old newsletters once new pieces have been revealed and seeing how it all fits together. I think that Blair has offered quite a lot of information about the new album in the last three newsletters -- Rosetta Stoned is an epic in the key of D; Jambi had a different working title which was changed late, towards the end of the mixing; one of the seque's had to be left off the album due to time constraints; the singles will be Vicarious and The Pot; the live DVD will be released June 6.

I'd rather have a website that is at least vaguely interesting, rather than say A Perfect Circle's website.

Wait, how the hell did you come up with all of this? That's a pretty loaded statement without evidence to back it up. Be interesting to know where you got those ideas.

Then again maybe there's huge discussions about all this shit that I've somehow missed.

Het_Bijeenroepen
04-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Wait, how the hell did you come up with all of this? That's a pretty loaded statement without evidence to back it up. Be interesting to know where you got those ideas.

Then again maybe there's huge discussions about all this shit that I've somehow missed.

Just to clarify a bit; that's just what I've taken from the newsletters. I don't mean it to sound like I'm stating fact, just my personal interpretation of what i've read.

Systolic
04-09-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm getting pissed because

1) I got fucked over by a friend of mine who is a jackass.

and

2) Every time I tried to speculate before that, I got flamed.

Its not Tool, its the Tool community. I wonder what Tool think about all of their dickhead fans... I can't help to think that they really dislike their fans, especially after the comment that Maynard made in one of those magazines about Tool being about "love" and whatnot.

Rosette feasted
04-09-2006, 07:52 AM

and

Its not Tool, its the Tool community. I wonder what Tool think about all of their dickhead fans... I can't help to think that they really dislike their fans, especially after the comment that Maynard made in one of those magazines about Tool being about "love" and whatnot.
Yeah I also believe that Tool hates attention whores like you who pretend that they've heard Vicarious.

praefector
04-09-2006, 09:46 AM

and

cant speak for the band obviously but:

i think its pretty well known that what tool dont like are the fans who either dont take them seriously, refuse to be open-minded, or try to speak FOR them regarding THEIR art.

it also seems, by their approach to releasing new material, theyve become very tired of peoples dependency on having information prematurely.

sur
04-09-2006, 10:18 AM

and

about ponit 2, you got flamed because you made an entire theory based on nothing.....the point is that a lot of tool fans here are really intolerant, and can't express their opinion without insulting.

and I don't see tool members waisting their time thinking on the what kind of fans they have.

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Look, to you and all the retards who refuse to completely read my posts, I've said numerous times that EVERYTHING WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN SO FAR HAS BEEN A DISSAPOINTEMENT. I HAVE NEVER ONCE TALKED ABOUT THE ACTUAL MUSIC.

I can't make that any more clear.

And if you think that the artwork, album name and tracklisting have nothing to do with how much you enjoy the album, you suck at appriciating the full picture. Download the album if you don't care about anything but the music.

Edit: Whoa, this thread is a whole lot of Prodigy_Dub and Goldfoot jerking each other off.

Sick.

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
you cant judge them independently from the music though

as an artist you have to stay objective until the ENTIRE work is finished

itd be like a painter telling another painter "your painting sucks even though you havent put the yellows and blues in yet"...it isnt fair to judge ANY artwork until it is completed
In the case of Tool's new album, it'd be more like the artist starting work on a project that doesn't look too appealing (but shouldn't yet be judged), then cutting out some pictures from a magazine and pasting them on it (I'm talking about the awsome 'new' artwork they're putting on it).

I could go to Alex Grey's website and find hundreds of Tool covers. After all, Alex Grey = Tool.

praefector
04-09-2006, 11:55 AM
In the case of Tool's new album, it'd be more like the artist starting work on a project that doesn't look too appealing (but shouldn't yet be judged), then cutting out some pictures from a magazine and pasting them on it (I'm talking about the awsome 'new' artwork they're putting on it).

I could go to Alex Grey's website and find hundreds of Tool covers. After all, Alex Grey = Tool.

but youre judging the merit of tracktitles without any knowledge of the songs

again, almost every track name on lateralus (especially "the grudge", "ticks and leeches" and "parabola" )seemed subpar but they all made perfect sense once i had a chance to absorb the music and themes.

youre of course entitle to be disappointed but i dont think its prudent at this point...having not heard any music. it seems you just got something you didnt expect and you dont know how to handle it.

hateAliases
04-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Its not Tool, its the Tool community.
I wonder what Tool think about all of their dickhead fans... I can't help to think that they really dislike their fans..

Right Systolic!

that's the reason why the band doesnt talk to us

and?! do you recognize something?! dont you think they are doing the right thing?

i think so.

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 12:01 PM
but youre judging the merit of tracktitles without any knowledge of the songs

again, almost every track name on lateralus (especially "the grudge", "ticks and leeches" and "parabola" )seemed subpar but they all made perfect sense once i had a chance to absorb the music and themes.

youre of course entitle to be disappointed but i dont think its prudent at this point...having not heard any music. it seems you just got something you didnt expect and you dont know how to handle it.
The cut and paste thing I was talking about refered to them using an old piece of art as the album art.

The unappealing thus far is probably because it isn't done yet, but still... have you ever been to one of those shows where some artist guy paints some kind of cool picture in front of everbody? Watching those is a blast, as you try to figure out wtf he is doing and where hes going with it, and then you get to the end and its like "AWSOME!".

With 10,000 Days, its like "NOT AWSOME!"

praefector
04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
The cut and paste thing I was talking about refered to them using an old piece of art as the album art.

The unappealing thus far is probably because it isn't done yet, but still... have you ever been to one of those shows where some artist guy paints some kind of cool picture in front of everbody? Watching those is a blast, as you try to figure out wtf he is doing and where hes going with it, and then you get to the end and its like "AWSOME!".

but its still entirely possible 10,000 days and its odd sense of vagueness could be very awesome

again ill go back to lateralus...prior to its release i preferred "systema encephale" and songs like "riverchrist" to the wanky sounding "lateralus" with it's "eon blue apocalypse"

Spoon
04-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Look, to you and all the retards who refuse to completely read my posts, I've said numerous times that EVERYTHING WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN SO FAR HAS BEEN A DISSAPOINTEMENT. I HAVE NEVER ONCE TALKED ABOUT THE ACTUAL MUSIC.

I can't make that any more clear.

And if you think that the artwork, album name and tracklisting have nothing to do with how much you enjoy the album, you suck at appriciating the full picture. Download the album if you don't care about anything but the music.

Dude...you said that you were disappointed with the album so far. That's more or less what you said. My point is this:

Yes, titles and artwork are important, but think about it. Really think about it. How important are they in comparison to the actual music? Again, yes they are important, but I would argue (of course this will be different for different people) that the music is about 98% of the importance of the disc.

Maybe it's just me, but take Ænima for example. If the cover art was a stickman drawn by a 12 year old and the tracks were all untitled (like some other horrible band did once) I wouldn't give a shit. The drumming is still retarded, the guitars and bass are immaculate, and the lyrics and vocals are incredible - THE MUSIC IS GOOD.

I find it unbelievable that people are disappointed with the album when it hasn't even been released yet, it's proposterous. Maybe the artwork around the net isn't the actual artwork, maybe it's part of a larger art-scheme that when combined with the tracknames you hate will unlock your third eye and lead your spirit to some chateau in france where tool are waiting to suck your dick or some shit, I don't fucking know, but to say you're disappointed with the album (so far, as it stands, whatever phrase you want to use) is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Spoon
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
...then you get to the end and its like "AWSOME!".

THE ALBUM ISN'T EVEN RELEASED YET!!!!!

Do you see what I mean now???? Christ!

Spoon
04-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Further elaboration (sorry for the post pumping)

If you played "The Wall" for someone who had no idea who pink floyd were, didn't know what their logo looked like, didn't know the names of the tracks, didn't know the CD cover art and inserts, would they appreciate the music any less? This is what I'm trying to get at. Covers and names are great, but when it really comes down to it, all that matters is the music.

Edit - One thing I find humorous on these boards is people referring to this community as "the fans" or the "hardcores" or "true fans" when in actuality, people on this board represent maybe 1/1000000000th of total Tool fans. Of course Tool don't give a shit about you, or me, we're nothing special, we just come to this board.

Tool doesn't give a shit if people don't like the artwork, and they're not going to browse on here for people's opinions - it's their art and they will present it as they like and the non-over-analytical psychotic fans will no doubt enjoy the music. To think that this community should hold some special place with Tool is an unfounded idea, methinks.