PDA

View Full Version : Best guest drummer on Triad live

Metalanarchist
11-22-2002, 09:22 AM
For me it's definitely Meshuggah's drummer Tomas Haake. Dave Lombardo (Fantomas ex-Slayer) and John Stanier (Tomahawk) were also good, but Haake added the most incredible percussive force to Danny's thunder. I think we fans are very lucky to be getting a live recording of the Haake-assisted version in 2003!

SRx71
11-25-2002, 05:33 PM
What are you talking about? My friend went to a Tool concert, and said that Messhugah was the name of the opening band, but for Triad, do both bands play together?

pisceandelusions
11-26-2002, 12:25 AM
I think thomas haake of meshuggah provided the best compliment to danny's rhythms duriing triad, which i had seen done with ? and ? in '01 and '02. oh yeah, danny's 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th arms seemed to be present as well. i believe he opens his third eye during the performance of this song where his arm coexists within several timeframes to us, or one constant time continuiom to him, therefore being everywhere it is at the rate of speed it achieves. oh yeah - and to the person above, only the drummer from the opening band comes back out to play on a small 2 or 3 drum set, they play standing.

Arcadian
11-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Well here's a little clarification for anyone who's confused. During Triad, they usually bring out the opening band's drummer to play with Danny on Rototoms.

Sometimes they have a special guest drummer like in Austin, w/ Terry Bozzio. I wasnt there, but I would have loved to have seen it.

SRx71
11-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks for clarifying that for me. But Rototoms?

Arcadian
11-27-2002, 10:26 AM
They were more frequently used in the 70's and 80's, I think but basically its a drum head thats fastened to a stand. Its rather difficult to describe but if you go to dannycarey.org and look at the interview with his drum tech, you'll see him playing on the Rototoms. Also, if you look at Danny's old setup, you'll see his Rototom there...which was switched with a wavedrum. Anyhow, back to it...the Rototoms come in 3's on a stand and usually the player is in the middle of the stage standing, jamming to Triad.

El Deano
12-04-2002, 12:48 PM
When they came here in May, it was John Dolmayan from SOAD which I found surprising. But he pulled it off with much aplomb. Brilliant.

elevate
12-05-2002, 10:47 AM
I didn't particularly care for any of the guest drummers I saw. They all seemed to be a bit....distracting, or perhaps intrusive. Dale Crover was kinda all over the place as far as timing goes. Tomas Haake, while good, seemed to overplay the entire time. John Stanier was probably the most conservative, which in this case, was a good thing. I would have rather heard Danny by himself...at least during the 'drum solo' part.

LazyE462
12-28-2002, 10:23 AM
I think they should just get Aloke Dutta to be the guest drummer live, lol.

Saul T Bauls
12-28-2002, 12:58 PM
how could any of you forget tricky's drummer? simply amazing when i saw them in cedar rapids. tomahawks drummer was good too, actually i believe the whole band came out to give some sort of addition to the song.

Timothy
01-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Haven't had the chance to catch it live unfortunately.
Is it true that the live version to be included on the dvd will feature Tomas (Hakke)? That would be cool. Any of the other aforementioned drummers would also be good otherwise.

0ne /V\ind
06-20-2005, 02:31 PM
holy shit, I have heard the Meshuggah one, but the Ozzfest collaboration with Dave Lombardo is amazing! are they good friends? everyone went nuts in the crowd

Faith+1
06-20-2005, 06:15 PM
They were more frequently used in the 70's and 80's, I think but basically its a drum head thats fastened to a stand. Its rather difficult to describe but if you go to dannycarey.org and look at the interview with his drum tech, you'll see him playing on the Rototoms. Also, if you look at Danny's old setup, you'll see his Rototom there...which was switched with a wavedrum. Anyhow, back to it...the Rototoms come in 3's on a stand and usually the player is in the middle of the stage standing, jamming to Triad.

you forgot one of the most important aspects of roto's, they have the ability to be tuned to a note perfectly. which came in handy jamming to triad for the percussion and melody part of the playing.