PDA

View Full Version : heads up on leak info

noisetherapy
04-04-2006, 10:07 PM
posted this in here...

after looking into systolics claim thats its been leaked already, i have found out through very reliable mp3 traders that absolutley no leaks of the album have hit the internet yet.

they say maybe 1 or 2 weeks before release date will we see a leak.

DirtyBanana
04-04-2006, 10:11 PM
i just woke up...where and when did he say that?

absolutezero
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
To nip this in the bud, Systolic has been caught out and has been found to have been full of shit from the day he was born.

mattw
04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Not that I actually believe Systolic at this point in time, but who cares if 'reliable' sources say no new material is on the net etc.

One simple fact is that the new music is perhaps already on at least 1 cd - maybe to be sent to radio stations, maybe to be sent to be printed/produced etc.

The internet is not the only place leaks of new music can occur.

As has been mentioned in the thread about 'shipping', there are warehouses around that apparenly have the new album either stored or in transit. That is, it exists somewhere.

It only takes one person to 'obtain' an early copy, spread it around etc.

DirtyBanana
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I heard there is a new vicarious leak around? Somebody heard it? PM please?

dissonance19
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I heard there is a new vicarious leak around? Somebody heard it? PM please?

This board would be down if someone heard it lol.

It was all fake though, wherever it was said it leaked.

noisetherapy
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
there is nothing. yet.

DirtyBanana
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
sure,but even fakes can be entertaining.

SoulEdge
04-04-2006, 10:45 PM
i have found out through very reliable mp3 traders that absolutley no leaks of the album have hit the internet yet

This is true. And if they have, we would already have them.

reign3
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for this update which confirms nothing has happened nor changed.

harmonyofdissonance
04-04-2006, 11:14 PM
what about a list of fakes?

Postman Pat
04-04-2006, 11:36 PM
To nip this in the bud, Systolic has been caught out and has been found to have been full of shit from the day he was born.
lol

insaner
04-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Not that I actually believe Systolic at this point in time, but who cares if 'reliable' sources say no new material is on the net etc.

One simple fact is that the new music is perhaps already on at least 1 cd - maybe to be sent to radio stations, maybe to be sent to be printed/produced etc.

The internet is not the only place leaks of new music can occur.

As has been mentioned in the thread about 'shipping', there are warehouses around that apparenly have the new album either stored or in transit. That is, it exists somewhere.

It only takes one person to 'obtain' an early copy, spread it around etc.

exactly. thats why we know from expereince that the album has yet to go to press. this album is not in any wherehouse, unless you call danny, maynard, adam or justins coat pocket a warehouse.

bbunt302
04-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Man... I never realized how cool these shady mp3 trader pirate guys were. It's like they are blessed with the knowledge of God himself (if you believe in that kinda stuff). I guess pirates are cooler than ninjas after all... Maybe I can train to be one some day. Until then I guess I'll just sit back and not.

livingdecay
04-05-2006, 06:24 AM
They would like to think so.

Fortunate Son
04-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Addendum: If you ever believed anything Systolic said about having heard the single, you are profoundly retarded.

researchtriangle
04-05-2006, 06:41 AM
heads up: i took a leak in my hall way last night. i was wasted

hanger25934
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Not likely you'll be hearing any advanced copies.

I disagree.

Havokb8
04-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I disagree.

I 2nd that Lateralus was out a month early...How bout the people on the line where the cds are pressed, how about the people at the warehouses? Indeed warez groups have people working at all these places, i think it will be out around the 12th.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
This shows a lack of understanding of how the "Mastering" process takes place. And how radio stations (like the one I work at) get advanced copies of songs. About 2-3 days before the single release date (17th I think) we'll get a copy of the single. Thats it. As for there being a full CD. Yes one exists. It's called a MASTER... and Tool's producer would be in charge of that. They are musicians....not audio engineers.

I honestly haven't checked. But even if there WAS a leak (which I doubt given the bands reputation for privacy) would you really want to hear it that way?

I remember when I was young(er) and worked for Target in Asset Protection. I wanted the APC DVD the day it came in the store. (About three days before the "street date") I asked my stoner buddy in electronics if he could hook a brother up....

.....no way. Not only could he lose his job, (big deal) but the fine is somewhere around 10 grand to the store. Which would then lose there ability to have albums shipped to them prior to street dates, costing them tens of thousands of dollars by not having CD's available on there opening day.

In other words. Not likely you'll be hearing any advanced copies.

I'm not gonna pretend like I'm some expert in regards to the music industry, but if the Album is now going to be released in under one month, I'd suspect production of the discs is either in full tilt or has been in full tilt for at least a few days by now. And with a major release such as this, I'd suspect alot of people are starting to come into contact with discs. And it will just take one. And well a Tool album release is and the enthusiasm for people to get their hands on it is, FUNDAMENTALLY different than an APC dvd - a whole different level. So I could even see someone losing their job over it, personally. Though I'd suspect a Tool fan could figure their way around that, as well. I'm not advocating it, but I think we are all well aware of how reality works. I am just really REALLY surprised, and almost astonished, we have seen nothing up to this point already - not even a real damn 10 second clip lol. I suppose it's for the better. Man just give us Vicarious, already - it's not like that would hurt anything at this point...

etaipo
04-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Here is something I've wondered was why there are leaks with other bands like months before, but TOOL are very sneaky! How do they do it?

shockpoint
04-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I was starting to type a lengthy response about how a cd goes from pre-pro to post to a duplication facility and then finally shipped to stores.....but that would make me sound like somewhat of an....expert....and I am not. I just work in the business man.....it's all rock and roll to me.

So simply put. If ANY of the people involved with the production of the cd were to leak it. They would be sued. The production company (pre-pro/post/or duplication) would be BLACKBALLED and would be out of business in about 5 seconds. Basically the people who work for these companies like there 75 grand a year, cushie-ass jobs. You think they would risk all that just for a chance to say...."yeah man I was the one....I leaked the cd man....woo-hoo...."

And then there is the empirical evidence. There is no fucking leak. It has not and will not (likely) happen. I say likely because I could be dead wrong and some fucking asshole could get sued and lose his job and destroy a long-standing companies reputation. Just so the impatient ones could get a chance to hear song that'll be on the radio in 2 weeks.

My PD will have his hands on the single about 48 hours before we're permitted to play it on the fucking air. Think he'll even let us jocks hear it?

Not worth his job.

Not worth pissing off a cool band.

I understand everyone is excited. I understand this is "Rumors".
I guess I'm just giving everyone a reality check.

Sorry.....I'm done.

I'd assume anyone who has a copy of it and is reasonably intelligent would rip it on any random public computer (a.k.a. library, hotel) and upload it through an anonymous over-seas proxy server...without any connection to themselves whatsoever.. they'd keep their mouth shut and no one would ever know. If anyone has the means and wants detailed suggestions, there are a lot of us that would be more than happy to provide..

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I'd assume anyone who has a copy of it and is reasonably intelligent would rip it on any random public computer (a.k.a. library, hotel) and upload it without any connection to themselves whatsoever.. they'd keep their mouth shut and no one would ever know. If anyone has the means and wants detailed suggestions, there are a lot of us that would be more than happy to provide..

Indeed - there's ALWYAS a way around it. It's just how things work ;). Still not advocating, but there is ALWAYS a way.

noisetherapy
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
do the mp3s have tags on them knowing where the cd came from?

Havokb8
04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Sigh....you dont understand, warez groups have been doing this for years, some of these people work high up in software companies and everywhere else, they dont get caught they know exactly what they are doing, it will always be that way.

praefector
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
This shows a lack of understanding of how the "Mastering" process takes place. And how radio stations (like the one I work at) get advanced copies of songs. About 2-3 days before the single release date (17th I think) we'll get a copy of the single. Thats it. As for there being a full CD. Yes one exists. It's called a MASTER... and Tool's producer would be in charge of that. They are musicians....not audio engineers.

I honestly haven't checked. But even if there WAS a leak (which I doubt given the bands reputation for privacy) would you really want to hear it that way?

I remember when I was young(er) and worked for Target in Asset Protection. I wanted the APC DVD the day it came in the store. (About three days before the "street date") I asked my stoner buddy in electronics if he could hook a brother up....

.....no way. Not only could he lose his job, (big deal) but the fine is somewhere around 10 grand to the store. Which would then lose there ability to have albums shipped to them prior to street dates, costing them tens of thousands of dollars by not having CD's available on there opening day.

1st. tool actually engineer quite a bit on their albums. its just hard for them to be objective about which parts need to be louder and which parts need to be mixed down as individuals so a producer with an unbiased ear is needed.

2nd. i wouldnt mind at all hearing the new album on a leak. anyone in the know with regards to the music biz knows that bands make their bank from tours and liscensed merchandise sales NOT album sales. album sales ususally barely pacify the record companies and the band usually sees modest royalties.

and besides, what has tool ever done for me other than snub me at their shows just looking for a chat and tantalize me with misinformation. let's not act like theyre our best buddies or anything. ill still pay whatever i have to pay to see them in concert though and i hope theyll appreciate that more than knowing i paid money so their record company exec can buy the extra large hot-tub instead of the slightly smaller hot-tub. no one should EVER feel bad about pirating music.

that being said even IF i DLed a leaked album id still buy the CD for the artwork and better quality once it became available.

and 3rd...no one should ever put their friend in a position like that; asking for him to risk his job just so you can get a CD before anyone else.

if you want to hear the album ASAP keep your eyes open for leaks. if not, wait patiently

WearingVans501s
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
why do they leak it? is it just to be cool or are some people actually paying for the leaks?

praefector
04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
why do they leak it? is it just to be cool or are some people actually paying for the leaks?

the (fake) leaks are made by people who either:

a) get off on knowing theyve gotten someones hopes up and wasted their bandwidth and a modest amount of time (a great amount for dial-up users)

or

b) want to get their own crappy composition heard but dont have a recognizable name to convince people to DL

WearingVans501s
04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
i mean real leaks

Choice Breath
04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Here is something I've wondered was why there are leaks with other bands like months before, but TOOL are very sneaky! How do they do it?

Maybe this could be a new thread, but I thought that:

1) Maybe Tool recorded this album analog rather than digital; or,

2) Maybe there will be licensing on the CD just as with software and you'll have to register and everything. (I know you can get around this).

Just a couple of thoughts.

praefector
04-05-2006, 10:43 AM
well if theres a real leak someone obtained the album and wanted to share it with others who are cheap or poor or just impatient.

we could always speculate the band or someone associated with the band would leak tracks to stir up conversation and hype prior to the retail release but that's doubtful...

its usually someone in pressing or shipping who decides to slip one out at the expense of their job and then its rip/archive/share

shockpoint
04-05-2006, 10:43 AM
do the mp3s have tags on them knowing where the cd came from?

Serial numbers (off the hardware cd writer) are built into almost any file you compile. The same serial numbers are typically uploaded for "informational purposes" through a ton of VERY common software. (ie: windows, quicktime, real player) . Also they can use forensic file rebuilding, to tell where anything orginated, even if its been sent through 1000 different people online.

Thats why it is essential for you to use a public computer.

praefector
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM

i began to wonder about this too...

it may be as simple as this:

typically other bands are very open when they record a new album. copies are made in the studio and given to friends and family and some even mailed to street-teamers as swag to get the hype machine started on the street. in those situations leaks can potentially happen anywhere along the chain...an employee at the studio could sneak a copy out to their office comp and rip it on the spot. or even a "friend makes a copy for a friend who makes a copy for a friend who makes a copy for a friend" and so on until it finally reaches someone who's willing to make it public.

tool however as we know are very careful about who is allowed to hear their compositions and when. they arent superpeople and cant prevent the leaks altogether but if the product is controlled through recording, mixing, and mastering (which is where other bands falter) leaks can be prevented.

in theory tool should be confident enough in their fans and popularity (yes i said it) to know they dont have to make their music available prematurely to generate interest.

just a theory

Saltank
04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/myluciddesign/untitleddocument.jpg

gberg37
04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
If that's legit, it would mean the album is self-titled.

Visceralus
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
seems unlikely

...but then so does 10,000 Days. So who knows.

praefector
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/myluciddesign/untitleddocument.jpg

this was ripped apart in here weeks, maybe even over a month, ago

not real

thepatient_10k
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
the new single is fucking brilliant. too bad you fuckers have to wait and hear it. Dont be expecting "vicarious"... hahahahaha

praefector
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
the new single is fucking brilliant. too bad you fuckers have to wait and hear it. Dont be expecting "vicarious"... hahahahaha

awesome post

douchebag

thepatient_10k
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
thanks, i spent hours fabricating that hoax

praefector
04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
i heard the new album too

its awesome

you guys suck for not hearing it yet

bwahahahaha

/being lame

Visceralus
04-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe 10,000 Days is actually just Lateralus with that 'secret OTHER order to the tracks'.

That would really be the icing on the cake.

JuhaDeWolf
04-05-2006, 05:29 PM
New leak info!

My sink is broken... it sucks.

insaner
04-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I 2nd that Lateralus was out a month early...How bout the people on the line where the cds are pressed, how about the people at the warehouses? Indeed warez groups have people working at all these places, i think it will be out around the 12th.

how has one week to the day somehow turned into a month after 5 years?

it was exactly one week early. end of discussion.

insaner
04-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Well damn. Guess you showed me.

*Throws self on sword*

it was the only honorable thing to do. godspeed.

peterpiper
04-07-2006, 11:08 PM
What programs do you guys use to download leaked albums?

Grimface
04-08-2006, 12:45 AM

Napster 8)

Tyson
04-08-2006, 01:18 AM

Torrents.

noisetherapy
04-08-2006, 01:59 AM
theres tons of different methods

drumtool
04-09-2006, 02:09 AM
limewire

Visceralus
04-09-2006, 02:16 AM
IRC

Idiotica
04-09-2006, 02:21 AM
sometimes when i pick up the phone i hear sounds ... is that vicarious?

redbox
04-09-2006, 02:23 AM
soulseek

Havokb8
04-09-2006, 03:52 AM

Sorry you are an idiot ever think about the people on the line that press the cds? the people in the warehouses? you seem to not understand pirating groups have been releasing music games and software months before release for many years you may not want to admit it but these groups have very very inside sources that can get access to things long before they are released.

RED_THE_HAT
04-09-2006, 06:12 AM
hehe, has anone thought that Tool are just sitting back living their lives of luxury watching us ramble on about how hard it is to find this album they have worked so hard to make? I mean, anyone seen the promo shots yet? Them living the life of luxury? haha, I reckon we are all just little guinea pigs in their little game, and I reckon that if we make it through to the release date, hearing nothing new, alot more bands will take on their approach. If they can be bothered. I think it's hillarious. I think that there is going to be one hell of a suprise soon to do with the new album, and we are gonna be blown away by it... We will not expect it.

krumz
04-09-2006, 08:11 AM
sometimes when i pick up the phone i hear sounds ... is that vicarious?
no..thats LA municipal court....lol

YouWouldKnow
04-09-2006, 08:46 AM
no..thats LA municipal court....lol
I love reading the posts on this forum. If I were TOOL I would never release an album ever again. Out of every message board I have ever seen, this is by FAR the most retarded. You'd think TOOL fans would actually have brains in their heads, but most of you seem like fucking fourteen year old know it alls. BeLIEve actually has a fucking brain and is trying to save you assholes some of your time so you can go back to beating off to Maynards face. I've never been so worked up by geeks before in my life. YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING PATHETIC, but highly entertaining at the same time. I love reading the bullshit on this board. So come on and entertain me some more and bitch about the lengths of the songs, album cover, song titles, etc. Holy shit. I hope you all analyze your own lifes as much as you do this band.
PS-
FLAME MOTHER FUCKING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Boozy Eulogist
04-09-2006, 08:52 AM
That reminds me of when a 12 year old tells off a 10 year old. They have good points, but they still sound fucking dumb.

5th Eye
04-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow...someone can't take a joke. Not even a good joke.

YouWouldKnow
04-09-2006, 08:56 AM
This is a joke. I'm laughing

YouWouldKnow
04-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm gonna go hang out on the Kelly Clarkson board. They probably argue about politics and life instead of the color of Maynard's pubic hair

Boozy Eulogist
04-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Actually I'm 28.

And how does a FLAME (ie:calling me an idiot) constitute a joke?

I don't mind being called stupid. My wife does it CONSTANTLY. I just can punch her in the face when I get mad. That idiot fanboy is probably a thousand miles away.

Now THAT.......is a joke.

It was ment for YWK but if you want to share your age, by all means go for it.

Cucumber_11
04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm gonna go hang out on the Kelly Clarkson board. They probably argue about politics and life instead of the color of Maynard's pubic hair
You'll be missed.

lol

Boozy Eulogist
04-09-2006, 09:06 AM
"Tool's producer would be in charge of that. They are musicians....not audio engineers."

Just a heads up, they produced the album themselves. Bob Ludwig mastered and Joe Barresi engineered.

ladiatia
04-09-2006, 02:51 PM
yes is not vicarious, the new single is called "Dude, get a life".

Salud!