PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are going to try to NOT listen to the single

CallofCthulhu
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
and go in completely fresh when you buy the album? If I try I'll cave within a day.

Hodge
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
so fresh so clean

Goldfoot
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I won't listen because it will get me pumped for the rest of the album, and it won't be following so I'll be sad.

etaipo
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Mann, I'm going to be trying to listening to the radio or something because I'm pretty freaking anxious!

etaipo
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
The single should be released around April 16 or something like that?

semi_normal
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
im gonna hold out for the whole album

Light Reflections
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll be listening to that single ASAP.

Goldfoot
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Holy shit. I just saw a million of you.

The single should be released around April 16 or something like that?

You should know this by now.

Havokb8
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM

There is basically no way after 5 years that i will not listen to anything new right when it comes out. Period.

etaipo

I know it hasn't affected me other times in listening to TOOL, so it shouldn't this time.

amitface
I won't listen because I never listen to the radio and because I can't download shit at college.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-02-2006, 08:50 PM
would parabol be as good without parabola...would the grudge be as good without the contuniing sounds...i always find that schism is better in context...so..no...FUCKING HELL GODDAMN NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!...
i want to be a complete virgin to the album....so we can party all night..

LoKi
04-02-2006, 09:06 PM
fuck yeah, i'll have that fucker on repeat.

Boozy Eulogist
04-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Since I'm not much for making new threads, this one should be close enough.

Tonight I was DJing on Savannah's Z102 to promote out college station and went over to the rock station asking about new singles. We took a look through CD singles and the website where many singles are posted for Program Directors before songs hit radio.

New RHCP
New Pearl Jam
No New Tool

The Pearl Jam song was meh at best. What a bummer.

Melkari
04-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm tired of waiting. I'll get the single the second I see it, and if it leaks, I'll get that and binge that as well. Then on release day I'll buy it. I'm just sick of waiting after so many years. Yes, two more weeks will kill me if it's sitting right in front of me.

Snakedragon
04-03-2006, 12:45 AM
i definitely will not listen to it.

if i listen to it on repeat, and then listen to the album, the single will stick out because i already know it so well, and will stop the flow of the album when i hear it for the first time.

for this reason, i will stay well away from all radio and music channels until the album comes out.

however, i may watch the video muted though to see how jones' wierdness levels are.

edit: 2 weeks is nothing compared to 5 years.

cadav
04-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Not even going to kid myself and try.

Natalie Portman
04-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I heard the new PJ and it's pretty weak imo. Now, when Vicarious hits the radio, I shall listen to it with the fury of a thousand suns. Unless it sucks, then I'll be pissed. But, they have a total of zero songs I don't like so far, so I'm confident I will enjoy the fuck out of it.

blackrock
04-03-2006, 01:33 AM

if i listen to it on repeat, and then listen to the album, the single will stick out because i already know it so well, and will stop the flow of the album when i hear it for the first time.

for this reason, i will stay well away from all radio and music channels until the album comes out.

however, i may watch the video muted though to see how jones' wierdness levels are.

edit: 2 weeks is nothing compared to 5 years.

i diagree with you on this. the single is track 1 of the album, so really it's not gonna stick out as much. you should just listen to it.

Idiotica
04-03-2006, 02:02 AM
watch the video on mute! haha

paragon
04-03-2006, 02:23 AM

I listened to two nin songs on repeat before with_teeth came out and and now I fucking hate those two songs. I'm gonna wait it out...

paragon
04-03-2006, 02:34 AM
The Line Begins To Blur and The Hand That Feeds...

Nebel
04-03-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm gonna listen to it but not passed the point that I'm sick of it.

blackrock
04-03-2006, 03:15 AM
I listened to two nin songs on repeat before with_teeth came out and and now I fucking hate those two songs. I'm gonna wait it out...

you mean you hate those two songs AND the rest of that shitty album.

LoKi
04-03-2006, 03:20 AM
no no man, it's cool to hate With Teeth.

LoKi
04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
i'm going to get the single, rename it, post it as one of my mates songs that all you guys should listen to... then watch you all cry like emos...

orange.juice
04-03-2006, 03:32 AM
it's [no] to be McRöggöls.

Rubb.
04-03-2006, 03:40 AM
me too.

orange.juice
04-03-2006, 04:10 AM
You're obsessed with McRöggöls.
i just can't withstand.

phreak03
04-03-2006, 05:57 AM
i don't listen to the radio anymore, so i'll just download it

dissonance19
04-03-2006, 06:02 AM
i don't listen to the radio anymore, so i'll just download it

I don't either. But I'd make the exception. I mean it's not that hard.

ripewithdecay
04-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I am definitely going to listen to the single.

If it's not posted to Toolband in some higher-quality, then it'll probably be a repeat of With Teeth in that someone will record it off the radio, and it'll be a shitty quality rip. But we'll all salivate.

Snakedragon
04-03-2006, 06:23 AM
i diagree with you on this. the single is track 1 of the album, so really it's not gonna stick out as much. you should just listen to it.

i probably will submit, but i plan to listen to the album in it's entirity when it comes out, without looking at what song im listening to or whatever, i just want to listen to the whole thing as a new thing.

it's their 1st thing in 5 years, so i want to listen to it in it's entirity, but i'll probably end up downloading vicarious or whatever the single is beforehand

Bogart
04-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Ill probably listen to the single. I wanted to wait and hear all of the tracks for the first time when I buy the album, but when the single is out, I probably won't be able to resist.

Doylebag
04-03-2006, 06:54 AM
first and last time - with teeth is shit. end of story.

(cue 100 replies going on about opinions)

electribe1
04-03-2006, 08:26 AM
I won't listen because I never listen to the radio and because I can't download shit at college.

cant download at college? are you serious? THAT SUCKS! when i was in college thats all i ever did. they had a T3 in my dorm and i burned that shit up on the daily! why even GO to college if you cant download shit?

Anomaly
04-03-2006, 08:39 AM
college crackdown, crakka!

eddie75
04-03-2006, 08:50 AM
and go in completely fresh when you buy the album? If I try I'll cave within a day.
Why wouldn't you want to listen to the single?

paper_head
04-03-2006, 08:55 AM
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think it'll be hard. Tool isn't going to license their music to be used in commercials and TV shows like NIN did with The Hand That Feeds. Just don't listen to the rock radio stations.

CallofCthulhu
04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Why wouldn't you want to listen to the single?

Because some people like to go into new albums fresh.

TurdEye13
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM

Like me. I have waited five years for this sucker, what is 15 more days? The album opener is a special track too. I am definiately going to avoid it. It may kill me though knowing that most of you are actually listening to a new Tool song.

CallofCthulhu
04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Like me. I have waited five years for this sucker, what is 15 more days? The album opener is a special track too. I am definiately going to avoid it. It may kill me though knowing that most of you are actually listening to a new Tool song.

Maybe I'll try to listen to about 30 seconds of it then turn it off. That might make my head explode though.

eddie75
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I still don't see the point, but that's just me.

Sketch Soland
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
i really don't understand not listening to the single. if you don't give tool enough credit to craft an album complex enough to not be "spoiled" by hearing one song then you must appreciate Tool for reasons that are completely alien to me. my opinion.

FortySix&Two
04-03-2006, 12:51 PM
i really don't understand not listening to the single. if you don't give tool enough credit to craft an album complex enough to not be "spoiled" by hearing one song then you must appreciate Tool for reasons that are completely alien to me. my opinion.

As someone in another thread said a few days ago, hearing that first single gives you a foothold, so to speak, of what the album as a whole sounds like. It slips you into a comfort zone. Some people will like to hear what is in store for them, and they'll be all the more excited once the album drops, and listening tot he single before the album won't ruin anything for them. Others, like myself, want to go in completely fresh, not knowning what ANY of it sounds like, and get the full effect in one shot. Plus, saying Vicarioius is the album opener, and the single, the excitiement of throwing the album in your cd player for the first time is gone. You already know what the first song sounds like. Hell, I bet a lot of people will even skip it , and start from the second track.

Anyway, that's my outlook on it. I am going to try really hard to avoid the single, and I know I'll be tempted beyond belief to listen, but we'll see. I don't want it ruined for me.

sularetal
04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I just got my first listen of D/R/T. I have been saving them until one month before this new release - so i have new Tool to listen to. When 10KDays comes out, I'm gonna hold off listening to at least 3 of the songs so I have new Tool to listen to when they decide to release the next album.

STA
04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I just got my first listen of D/R/T. I have been saving them until one month before this new release - so i have new Tool to listen to. When 10KDays comes out, I'm gonna hold off listening to at least 3 of the songs so I have new Tool to listen to when they decide to release the next album.

So what did you think? When did you purchase Lateralus?

Goldfoot
04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
It may kill me though knowing that most of you are actually listening to a new Tool song.

Nah, I'm gonna do my best not to listen.

It won't be spoiled by listening to the single, but the opening song is special. When I listen to a new album by a band that tends to make albums and not just songs, I get really excited after the first song and then there is the rest of the album to listen to. Listening to Vicarious on the radio or Toolband would be like watching the first 20 minutes of a movie and then having to wait over two weeks for the rest. I'd rather experience the songs insuccession. It's not a matter of doubting the band or the album, it's a matter of how I will like it best.

SoulEdge
04-03-2006, 01:44 PM
would the grudge be as good without the contuniing sounds

In my opinion, I think Lateralus would be a lot better without The Grudge.

eddie75
04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I think the grudge is great song to set the mood. It's my top 2 favorite songs on the album, and it was a great way to start their shows and get everyonee pumped.

tool25
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
i as well loved the grudge, it starts the album off with a bang and shows you that you're getting your moneys worth

Ertai
04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
im gonna hit that single like a crackhead hits a stem after a night of fiending....

dissonance19
04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
In my opinion, I think Lateralus would be a lot better without The Grudge.

are you serious?!?!?! Lateralus would seriously lack something without it. The Grudge is one of the top songs on that album as well as one my favs with the title track.

It's an awesome opener, not just for the CD when they tour as well. Just hearing those drums just kick in. Man. Which is why I do kinda wish it started out on the CD regularly and not with the elevator noise.

ProdigyDub
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I really don't understand this logic. Songs are obviously part of a larger picture in an album, but they also stand on their own entirely. There's nothing wrong with hearing a song without hearing the rest of the album.

Hell, read the GW interview with Adam. He specifically states that they don't record the songs with a specific order in mind. That means the songs dont necessarily tell some linear story on an album, which means it doesn't truly matter which order you hear them in or whether you hear them separately or not.

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Like some people say, I too won't listen to the single cause it will be so fucking better when I'll kick in the CD not having a fucking idea what I'll experience. I better start looking for new music right now to fill the void or I'm gonna crack and download that damn single. Hell, I havn't heard any Meshuggah yet. Good place to start.

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I really don't understand this logic. Songs are obviously part of a larger picture in an album, but they also stand on their own entirely. There's nothing wrong with hearing a song without hearing the rest of the album.

It's more about not wanting to screw the flow of the whole album by knowing too much the first song and not the rest. At least personnaly. It will be so thrilling to discover for the first time every bit of this album trought one mystical odyssey.

Hell, read the GW interview with Adam. He specifically states that they don't record the songs with a specific order in mind. That means the songs dont necessarily tell some linear story on an album, which means it doesn't truly matter which order you hear them in or whether you hear them separately or not.

It's not cause the band havn't written the songs in a certain order, that the concept they create in the final ordering is not important and... well.. conceptual ! I suppose they even create links between certain songs that were not intended at first. Only a thought.

eon_blue
04-03-2006, 05:56 PM

I agree with this.. i remember i first heard weak and powerless on the radio before hearing the rest of thirteenth step, and now when i listen to thirteenth step that song sticks out like a sore thumb.. ive been waiting so long for a new tool album that i am going to go out of my way to avoid anything which may so much as reduce the uncomparable experience of listening to a new tool album, by a hair

CallofCthulhu
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Like some people say, I too won't listen to the single cause it will be so fucking better when I'll kick in the CD not having a fucking idea what I'll experience. I better start looking for new music right now to fill the void or I'm gonna crack and download that damn single. Hell, I havn't heard any Meshuggah yet. Good place to start.

BUY CATCH THIRTYTHREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winner
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Seeing as how I listen to the radio quite frequently (although it's mostly for background noise) I don't see how I'll be able to avoid it.

Pineal
04-05-2006, 08:04 PM
After four years, two more weeks is nothing. I won't be coming here or listening to the single from April 17 until I have the album in my hands. I just like listening to whole albums is all.

lysergide dreams
04-05-2006, 08:11 PM

you've got to be kidding me.

magnolia
04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Now that I think about it, I'd love to try not to listen to the single, but my room-mate will undoubtedly throw it on a bunch of mix cd's and play them every time we have people over, then just laugh and go "OOPS!" when he realizes the song's playing and I'm angrily rocking out.

Exoskeletal
04-05-2006, 09:32 PM
It can't be helped, my anxiety and expectations for this album are so high that I must know how does it sounds, even if it's just the beginning of it. I would really like to hear it fresh, but it's stronger than me!
And by the way, I don't think that listening to the single will ruin the experience of listening the album for the first time, unless you play it over and over until you get sick of it (or maybe not lol)... maybe a week before the release date I'll erase it from my PC. Anyways, it's the opener track and it's just a glimpse of the album, it can give you a general ideia, but not the whole concept, remember that we are talkin of an experimental prog-rock band and you can't see what comes in the whole package from only one song.
As the interviewer of GW said "The songs on 10,000 Days are structured more like classical music, they start in one place, go somewhere else and end up in a completely different place altogether".

plexus
04-05-2006, 10:10 PM

you've got to be kidding me.you've got to be kidding me.

Octopod
04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Not necessarily trying to preach the "virtues" of waiting, because I don't think there is that much of a difference... but I will say that going into an album completely oblivious to every second of it is a distinct experience. Knowing any song on the album has to alter that experience because there is a bit of familiarity that is inescapable if you've listened to one of the songs several times. (as Inner Eulogy mentioned)

Also, even though the songs were not necessarily written with a specific order in mind, that doesn't change the fact that these songs will be permanently associated with each other under a single title and in reference to the finalized order just like the songs from past albums. They will also carry common threads and a specific feeling unique to the recording session(s) in which they were recorded, and to the production method utilized on the album as a whole. Listening to any single song from it will expose you to those elements to some degree.

That said, is it that big of a deal? No. Will it ultimately change your impression or opinion of the record? No. It's more just of a matter of preference, really. And how often can you do that (experience it all at once, completely blind) with one of your favorite bands? Not that often. So I'm gonna wait 'til I have the album, cuz it will be fun to go in blind. Not that big of a dif, but subtleties do have their value, imo. Plus, there's a certain rush that comes from going in blind when the album REALLY owns. I'm interested in that.

Kudos to those of you who are amped to listen to the single as soon as it comes out. I think it's great whenever anyone is excited about music. Especially when it's a band I like.

SomethingSpecial
04-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm gonna wait until the single is officially released, then I will download the cd version of the song, ya know? Not some shitty radio version. But I waited for Lateralus to hit the streets before I heard it

FickMyDuck
04-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd love to listen to the CD as a whole at first, but if I happen to catch the single on the radio, I won't fret.

seemyshadowchanging
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
There is basically no way after 5 years that i will not listen to anything new right when it comes out. Period.
i agree anything new by tool i have to hear it asap

spiralout987
04-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm going to Coachella in 3 weeks...

I vividly remeber buying Lateralus the night before its release, getting into the car, and hearing the grudge for the first time. I've never so impressed in my entire life.

I've decided since Vicarious is the first track off the new album, I will not listen to it on the radio, or not download any leaks. I want that feeling again that I've been waiting for for 5 years...

Whatever I hear at Coachella, so be it.. but I'm flying back to Austin the next day and buying the album at midnight... so why not wait...

anyone agree?

Let the bashing begin...

Hippo
04-07-2006, 08:16 PM
High five buddy, high five.

HiPp_1
04-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Since I have moved from San Fran. to Atlanta, I cant see them @ Coachella. I admire you not listening to the single over the radio, but you will at the concert. However, I am deprived, so I must listen to them on Apr. 17.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo
04-07-2006, 08:37 PM
save your $1000

HiPp_1
04-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Waldo Heraldo Faldo

a_sirian_in_agony
04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
dude...next week...im locking myself in my room and not coming out till may 2nd...no internet....no fuckholes shoving a leak in my ear.....fuck school...tools more important...i wanna be fresh

HiPp_1
04-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I hear ya man fuck work, its time for shit to come to fruition.

anaphoria
04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
i'm completely avoiding the radio myself, and TV until that point. i'm seeing them at coachella as well though, so i'm inevitably going to hear the new work live before i hear it on CD, but who wouldn't want to see it live first anyways? it's going to be a whole enlightening experience. i can only imagine. i want to feel pure right then.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-07-2006, 09:25 PM
ive been waiting too long for this....i dont wanna fuck it up.....haha....im like heading out this weekend to buy all new copies of all tools album so i can like marathon till may 2nd....these last few days will be intense..

HiPp_1
04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
it burns like urination

a_sirian_in_agony
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
it burns like urination
they make a pill for that...

HiPp_1
04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
LOL

Hippo
04-07-2006, 09:37 PM
LMFAO!!!1111111111111111111`12`12`12

njm
04-07-2006, 11:46 PM
considering that Vicarious is the first track off the album, it could concievably (?) be a better idea to actually hear the single. Because (and you KNOW it!) it is gonna be fucking awesome, and only serve to make your excitement for the rest of the album even higher!

just a thought.....