PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Tool and the movie Pi

Lupus
03-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Hello and forgive me if this has been discussed in the past.

I saw the movie Pi (ð) and I could not deny the many correlations I see that the movie (and it's ideas) have with Tool. I would like to state some things that I found in common:

- The Fibonacci Sequence
- The Tarot, Caballa, The tree of life etc
- Numerology
- Spirals

Now I don't really beleive that Tool have any connection with Aronofsky. Perhaps he just had an idea (which he made a movie about) that was also something Tool is into, which I think is the most probable answer...

As for someone in another post claiming that Lateralus syncs with the movie, I tried that one. It has interesting results... at some moments I really beleived this. It was like seeing a video clip for the song, or the music was the movie's soundtrack. But then again, in some other parts it seemes no correlation at all... but in any way, I don't think that it is possible for a band to make a whole CD to conform with a movie, not to mention that there would be no reason to do something like that...

Any ideas are welcome...

Lupus

yllwcrystlstr
03-12-2003, 06:40 PM
pi just isnt a very visual movie for synching with music....i tried it, didnt work.
But the album Lateralus could've been written about the character in the movie. In some strange way...
but the themes in pi are things that tool has been into since who knows....

Professor Frink
03-12-2003, 07:44 PM
I actually had to combine two of the alternate tracklistings mentioned to get it to work best. This one seems moreso coincidental, a lot of slow moments like you said but definitely some amazing parts--especially when Parabola kicks in :-O I like how the lyrics to Parabol begin right when 3.14 show up. I love how the album cuts off right as the "incident" occurs as well :)

Either way, amazing movie and I would recommend it to anyone. Aronofsky's one of my fav new directors.

Btw here's the track order I used if onyone is interested:
Parabol; Parabola; Schism; Ticks & Leeches; Mantra; Lateralus; Faaip; Triad; The Grudge; Reflection; Eon Blue Apocalypse; The Patient; Disposition

paraflux
03-13-2003, 08:22 AM
What other movies has he done? I own Pi.

Professor Frink
03-13-2003, 11:00 AM
^I think he meant Aronofsky

He also directed Requiem for a Dream, another amazing movie. Make sure you check it out.

paraflux
03-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Yeah I definitely meant Aronofsky. I have heard enough about the whole movie/music thing.

Shinji
07-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Tool and Aronofsky definitely share the same interests. Apart from Pi, in The Fountain there are similarities (the space sequence with meditation).