PDA

View Full Version : Better than "10,000 Days"?

TurdEye13
04-01-2006, 01:58 PM
When I look at this title deeper, I have come to realize that this is the best title on the album for a song, that they can name the album after. We all know that Tool uses a song title as the album name for every one of their releases. When I take a look at the tracklist for "10,000 Days", the only other track that may sound like a good album title is "Viginti Tres."

None of these sound that good(except for "10,000 Days" of course)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

What do you think?

Windir
04-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd have to disagree. Jambi would've been the best (yes, I'm serious)

NoD
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Those Shoes > 10,000 days

sularetal
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Pot is good

Systolic
04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I like the tracklists now. I was wrong about the big conspiracy theory thing, but now that I've just accepted that the titles are true, I like them all...

Systolic
04-01-2006, 02:10 PM
That's an odd sentence.

Thats because I'm really BMB.

Systolic
04-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Thats because I'm really BMB.

Okay so theres my April Fools joke for the day.

Har har

Rexmentula
04-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Jambipot!

Ocelot199
04-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I like the tracklists now. I was wrong about the big conspiracy theory thing, but now that I've just accepted that the titles are true, I like them all...
I accept that I'm prolly wrong about it too.

Doesn't make me like these titles any more.

And yes, Jambi would have been a better album name. At least its sort of... not "10,000 Days".

StoneyB
04-01-2006, 02:13 PM
I really liked them to begin with. I think the only track title I didn't care for was wings for marie. I honestly thought all of the other songs sounded like Tool titles. I don't understand how so many people complained that the titles didn't wound toolish enough. Between Opiate, Undertow, Ænima and Lateralus, the track titles don't seem to be very similar at all.

StoneyB
04-01-2006, 02:16 PM
There is no such thing as 'Tool-ish' titles.

Wings for Marie sounded to me from the start as one of the best.

I am aware of that. I'm just pointing out that many people stereotype tool into naming their songs a particular way

Windir
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
More so the album titles.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
DO YOU PEOPLE REALLY BELIEVE ROSETTA STONED???????
goddamn..

StoneyB
04-01-2006, 02:19 PM
More so the album titles.

Very true.

agnomos
04-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Yes. Wings for Marie is my favourite without/hearing title, xD

so ridiculous...

ProdigyDub
04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm a believer in the possibility that Tool has done something briliant with these titles by making some of them sound like they might represent something quite cliche (i.e. "The Pot", "Rosetta Stoned"), when they probably signify something completely different. It's an interesting trick, because all the people that think they are "un-Toolish" titles will probably do a complete 180 if/when they find out they have meanings very different from what your first impression might be.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Believe? Yes, until Toolband says otherwise I believe.

Besides Rosetta Stoned = Cool.

Imagine 10 may 2006, you go to your friends and tell them:

a) Wow, Rosetta Stoned is such a kick ass song.

or

b) Wow, Hyparxis is such a kick ass song.

What would you choose to impress? A!
hyparaxis...no fucking doubt...rosetta stoned just sounds stupid and uninspired to me, man...

Ocelot199
04-01-2006, 02:24 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm a believer in the possibility that Tool has done something briliant with these titles by making some of them sound like they might represent something quite cliche (i.e. "The Pot", "Rosetta Stoned"), when they probably signify something completely different. It's an interesting trick, because all the people that think they are "un-Toolish" titles will probably do a complete 180 if/when they find out they have meanings very different from what your first impression might be.
I honestly hope so. I'd love to admit I've been wrong about the stupidness of the titles on May 2nd.

ProdigyDub
04-01-2006, 02:25 PM
hyparaxis...no fucking doubt...rosetta stoned just sounds stupid and uninspired to me, man...

Yes, you're one of the many morons who think that only titles consisting of non-English words can be "meaningful" or "profound".

ProdigyDub
04-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I honestly hope so. I'd love to admit I've been wrong about the stupidness of the titles on May 2nd.

At this point I think it's certainly the most likely scenario. I doubt anybody here could actually think that Tool would write a song about getting "Stoned" as in "high"...so why worry that they've reduced themselves to something so trite? I'm sure what they've actually done is up to par with all their previous thought-provoking material.

ATARI
04-01-2006, 02:26 PM
hurr i'm a pirate

stinkfish
04-01-2006, 02:27 PM
When I look at this title deeper, I have come to realize that this is the best title on the album for a song, that they can name the album after. We all know that Tool uses a song title as the album name for every one of their releases. When I take a look at the tracklist for "10,000 Days", the only other track that may sound like a good album title is "Viginti Tres."

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

What do you think?

"ROFL". That's what I think about your post.

Vicarious is hands down the best track title and would work as album title aswell. Anything on that list is better than 10.000 days and the pot.

Ocelot199
04-01-2006, 02:28 PM
"ROFL". That's what I think about your post.

Vicarious is hands down the best track title and would work as album title aswell. Anything on that list is better than 10.000 days and the pot.
You forgot Rosetta Stoned.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes, you're one of the many morons who think that only titles consisting of non-English words can be "meaningful" or "profound".
fuckin hell man....rosetta stoned sounds immature and i think maynard is capable of better....it sounds like a fucking 15 year old kid nameing a fucking track....like...i coan stomacch the others but that one just prods my ass at thinking this shit isnt right..

dissonance19
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
10,000 Days was probably picked because to them it best represented the album more so than the others. It's not that hard to get.

The name has grown on me, although, I had this end of the world vibe to it, not for that 27 yrs the world will end thought, just a feel for the title itself, not looking for anything. And The titles have as well grown on me, and they were never bad. I liked quite a few before. But saying they are not "toolish" enough, is ironic because that makes them "toolish" as retarded as that word is. They never did anything conventional, why start by picking words out of a Enochian dictionary like those fake tracklists because of Faaip de Oiad? They named them what they wanted to. As someone said, none of their titles are similar album to album anyway.

ProdigyDub
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Always remember when bashing these track titles.....Hooker with a Penis. Since we know that the title isn't literally what the song is about, we find it clever and interesting. But I'm willing to bet if we saw that title on a new album listing without it previously existing and no prior knowledge of its meaning...people would be up in arms about how "stupid" it sounded.

I'm sure these seemingly mundane titles such as "The Pot" will be seen in the same light as H w/ a P a few years down the road once we know what they're about.

CallofCthulhu
04-01-2006, 02:42 PM

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

What do you think?

NO MAN! ROSETTA STONED! Give me a break. All the names blow except for Vicarious.

stinkfish
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Always remember when bashing these track titles.....Hooker with a Penis. Since we know that the title isn't literally what the song is about, we find it clever and interesting. But I'm willing to bet if we saw that title on a new album listing without it previously existing and no prior knowledge of its meaning...people would be up in arms about how "stupid" it sounded.

I'm sure these seemingly mundane titles such as "The Pot" will be seen in the same light as H w/ a P a few years down the road once we know what they're about.

I would have believed that if the rest of the titles were good. Coming out with that many shitty titles and an artwork that looks like some 14 year old been slapping "FOOL" over some random obscure image makes me doubt.

Yes, i'm disappointed so far, but i'm hoping it only gets better from here. The best news would be all this shit we've seen so far is fake, expect the single Vicarious.

Choice Breath
04-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Rosetta Stoned is a bit hard to believe. I mean, almost any explanation I can think of is still pretty cheesy. For example: Rosetta Stoned is a metaphor for the fact that we've been given the key to unlock a mystery or understand something that was previously not understandable and, what?, we kill each other with it? a-la stoned to death? Actually, that's not as cheesy as it seemed when I first thought about it. Also, it ties in with Lost Keys as well. Damn, talked myself out of it.

TurdEye13
04-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Rosetta Stoned is a bit hard to believe.

Maybe its about "Rosetta" being stoned to death in the sense of having rocks hurled at her.

Animus X torsi
04-01-2006, 03:41 PM
isn't viginti tres pronounced wi GIN ty tres?, i think it would be horrible for an album name cause no one would pronounce it right

Foamy
04-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I have to say Vicarious would have been a great album name, but since thats the first single it could confuse some people.

Indrid Cold
04-01-2006, 03:55 PM
I have to say Vicarious would have been a great album name, but since thats the first single it could confuse some people.

Only the STUPID PEOPLE! jk. Personally, I think Vicarious, Viginti Tres, Intension, and Right in Two could all have been excellent album names.

MasterOfKtulu109
04-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Jambi or Intension also could have worked.

DemiGodRaven
04-01-2006, 04:22 PM
isn't viginti tres pronounced wi GIN ty tres?, i think it would be horrible for an album name cause no one would pronounce it right

You mean like, how nobody knows how to pronounce Aenima correctly?

macfreak
04-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd have to disagree. Jambi would've been the best (yes, I'm serious)
Jambi rules

KJM
04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
"All of our fans are fucking stupid"

That would've been a sweet title.

mike09
04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I prefer "Holy Shit, We're Going To See Tool!"

Dross
04-01-2006, 06:52 PM
The titles have NOTHING to do with the way the song sounds! Even more, most of the actual titles of the songs aren't in the lyrics in TOOL, at least in Lateralus.

What is all the fuss over the titles about then?

mike09
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
The titles have NOTHING to do with the way the song sounds! Even more, most of the actual titles of the songs aren't in the lyrics in TOOL, at least in Lateralus.

I think about half the songs on Lateralus do contain the song titles within the lyrics, but I see your point anyway.

meatchunk
04-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Exactly... What is more important??? The song or the name of the song???
Judge not, lest ye be judged

KJM
04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
The band judges it's fans every day. Don't think otherwise.

tcM_Emperor
04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Can anyone tell me why Tool would release the real tracklist early? All they would need is the legit title for the single and album and not release the real track names until the album is released. Why would they conciously give leakers more info?

PoonTaco
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

What do you think?

ÆNIMA and Salival didn't have self-titled tracks.

Octopod
04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I'll judge when I hear the songs and examine the lyrics.

teleincision
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
personally....
teleincision......yup

HolyReality
04-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Rosetta Stoned is a bit hard to believe. I mean, almost any explanation I can think of is still pretty cheesy. For example: Rosetta Stoned is a metaphor for the fact that we've been given the key to unlock a mystery or understand something that was previously not understandable and, what?, we kill each other with it? a-la stoned to death? Actually, that's not as cheesy as it seemed when I first thought about it. Also, it ties in with Lost Keys as well. Damn, talked myself out of it.
why even ATTEMPT to decipher a song before you've heard it? you have no idea what it could possibly be about.

dracomordag
04-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Intension wouldv'e kicked ass

Animus X torsi
04-02-2006, 07:22 AM
ÆNIMA and Salival didn't have self-titled tracks.wow. do you own Ænima?

Chort
04-02-2006, 07:40 AM
wow. do you own Ænima?

Hehehe.. he caught you on a technicallity, the song name is Ænema, not Ænima. So, technically Ænima DOESN'T have a self-titled track ;-)

STA
04-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I think Jambi would be an absolutely atrocious album title. Of the track titles we've been given, I think "Intension" would make the best album name.

Animus X torsi
04-02-2006, 07:49 AM
i think part two would be a good album name.

stinkfish
04-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Hehehe.. he caught you on a technicallity, the song name is Ænema, not Ænima. So, technically Ænima DOESN'T have a self-titled track ;-)

OH REALLY?! Thanks for the clarification because no one else would reallize that.

aenema is the self titled track from aenima just as opiate undertow and lateralus is. saying anything else means you're a retard

Animus X torsi
04-02-2006, 08:23 AM
he was clarifying for me.....