PDA

View Full Version : the chromysone thing

Animus X torsi
03-29-2006, 04:04 PM
yeah... i read somewhere about some kind of magical geometry pattern relating to the human level of conciousness having to do with chrymosones, which ledto me scratching my head. could anyone clarify?

Inner_Eulogy
05-18-2006, 04:41 PM
yeah... i read somewhere about some kind of magical geometry pattern relating to the human level of conciousness having to do with chrymosones, which ledto me scratching my head. could anyone clarify?

For starters....it's spelled chromosome...

Here's my take on the lyrics of Forty-six and 2. They are by no means lame... they may in fact be some of Tool's best work...

"My shadow’s
Shedding skin and
I’ve been picking
Scabs again
I’m down
Digging through
My old muscles
Looking for a clue"

The concept of 'the shadow' is the fundamental theme of this song. According to Jungian psychology, the shadow is essentially your anti-self, the unconscious, supressed part of you that represents everything about yourself that you despise. The song proposes that by exploring and knowing ourselves truly, our potentials both good and bad, we can be stronger, capable of clearer thought and higher consciousness.

"Now is my time
Listen to my muscle memory
Contemplate what I’ve been clinging to
Forty-six and two ahead of me"

Muscle memory refers to unconscious learning. Stuff that you learn without knowing it and is incorporated into your unconscious psyche, including your shadow. Digging through your muscles refers to the process of idendifying and accepting your shadow. Exploring within yourself and confronting "your demons" (whatever about yourself that you deny and supress) is not easy but can lead to higher consciousness (you essentially recognize your unconscious portion of your psyche and incorporate it into your conscious portion). The song illustrates this in the following stanza:

"I’ve been crawling on my belly
Clearing out what could’ve been
I’ve been wallowing in my own confused
And insecure delusions
For a piece to cross me over
Or a word to guide me in
I wanna feel the changes coming down
I wanna know what I’ve been hiding in"

Basically the rest of the song deals with the narrator going through the process of recognizing the forces that drive his decisions, and metamorphosizing, fusing the ego (self) and shadow (anti-self) into one entity, removing the "armor" that once divided the two...

"See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me
Soften this old armour
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow"

-----------------------------------

The whole 46 & 2 thing refers to the 44 & 2 pairs of chromosomes we currently have (22 pairs plus 2 sex chromosomes). The additional 2 represents the idea of evolution in terms of additional chromosomes being 'the next evolutionary advancement' for us. In which hypothesized case means the evolution of one's consciousness by the identification and acceptance of one's Shadow.

EastcoastSix13
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Read: Nothing in This Book Is True, but It's Exactly How Things Are: The Esoteric Meaning of the Monuments on Mars. Helps clarify several of their songs.

Caduceus11
05-28-2006, 12:43 PM
For starters....it's spelled chromosome...

WOW, THAT'S A REALLY IN DEPTH DEFINITION OF THAT SONG...THAT BY civdis24....

Caduceus11
05-28-2006, 12:47 PM
IN ANY CASE, THIS SONG IS PROPHECY. MAYNARD MAY HAVE GOTTEN HIS OTHER 2 CHROMOSOMES. THE NEXT 2 TOOL DISKS, AND THE APC DISKS, WERE FORESHADOWED BY THIS SONG. I GET SO BENT ABOUT THESE LIGHTWEIGHT TOOL FANS WHO TALK SHIT ABOUT THE NEW TOOL MATERIAL. I GUESS THEY ONLY WANT MAYNARD TO SING ABOUT PRISON SEX (ONLY ON FACE VALUE OF THE TITLE OF THAT SONG--THEY ARE FAR TOO SHALLOW TO UNDERSTAND THE REAL MEANING OF EVEN THE SONGS FROM THE THE OPIATE DAYS.)

REAL TOOL FANS WHO UNDERSTOOD 46 AND 2 ARE COMPLETELY IN AWE OF THE NEW TOOL AND APC MATERIAL.

Caduceus11
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
what happened>?

HelenA
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by civdis24
Here's my take on the lyrics of Forty-six and 2. They are by no means lame... they may in fact be some of Tool's best work...The whole 46 & 2 thing refers to the 44 & 2 pairs of chromosomes we currently have (22 pairs plus 2 sex chromosomes). The additional 2 represents the idea of evolution in terms of additional chromosomes being 'the next evolutionary advancement' for us. In which hypothesized case means the evolution of one's consciousness by the identification and acceptance of one's Shadow.

It isn't 44 + 2 at all. It is exactly how Maynard says: 46 chromosomes. Humans have 46 chromosomes, 23 pairs (23 from the male and 23 from the female). Chromosomes are a very long molecule made up of proteins. These proteins, combined are called DNA. So chromosomes carry the genetic information from both our parents and, along with our environment, determine who we are.

The 'plus two' bit is Maynard's idea of our next evolutionary step, what happens next? As you said.

Sorry - I'm a biology teacher (can't you tell?!?).

RedMetalSox
06-29-2006, 06:53 PM
OK I understand the whole chromosome thing every body has always been on...but 46 and 2 would make 48...why would MJK want to become a Chimp?
I can't remember specifically but either apes or chimps have 48 chromosomes...so I don't think 46 and 2 is about the next step in out chromosomes...unless MJK is dumb.

savelints8
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe 48 chromosomes would elevate us to a higher level. Chimps can do sign language, you know.

Caduceus11
07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
The 'plus two' bit is Maynard's idea of our next evolutionary step, what happens next? As you said.

Biology is awesome! Biology teachers are awesome! So as a scientist, how do we gain our much needed two missing chromosomes>?

AloneOnceAgain97
07-12-2006, 11:24 AM
IN ANY CASE, THIS SONG IS PROPHECY. MAYNARD MAY HAVE GOTTEN HIS OTHER 2 CHROMOSOMES. THE NEXT 2 TOOL DISKS, AND THE APC DISKS, WERE FORESHADOWED BY THIS SONG. I GET SO BENT ABOUT THESE LIGHTWEIGHT TOOL FANS WHO TALK SHIT ABOUT THE NEW TOOL MATERIAL. I GUESS THEY ONLY WANT MAYNARD TO SING ABOUT PRISON SEX (ONLY ON FACE VALUE OF THE TITLE OF THAT SONG--THEY ARE FAR TOO SHALLOW TO UNDERSTAND THE REAL MEANING OF EVEN THE SONGS FROM THE THE OPIATE DAYS.)

REAL TOOL FANS WHO UNDERSTOOD 46 AND 2 ARE COMPLETELY IN AWE OF THE NEW TOOL AND APC MATERIAL.
Shut up. You think you're the perfect Tool fan or something?

I understand Forty-Six & 2 fine and I do not like the new album, or most of APC.

So just... Stop with the 10,000 Days>all other songs/albums/opinons thing.

I'll tell you what I get bent about. You "fans" who can't bring yourselves to believe anything other than this "10KD IS LYKE TEH BEST ALLLLBUM EV.ER!11!" shit. If you like it, fine. but don't call those of us who don't idiots.

ShadowLine
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
The chromosome thing explained:N.B. Read The Aincent Secret Of The Flower Of LIfe' you can get it off amazon.

The concept of a russion evolusionist theorist guy is the bassist of this song. The russion guy (mendelvich or something) belives that earlier forms of humans and monkeys have 42 and 2 crhomosomes, we (humans) have 44 and 2, and the next step (having opened your 3rd eye) is 46 and 2. The 46 and 2 chromosome he believes is when you become enlightened. He also belives there are nets around the earth starting from just below the surface and streching high into the sky (energy not physical) in 1988 he believed a new net had been born the 'Jesus net' which allowed you to become enlightened and gain the extra 2 chromosomes and become a 'god'.

sorry for any spelling mistakes im shit at spelling.

Thanks,
chris

14thDosage
07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
It isn't 44 + 2 at all. It is exactly how Maynard says: 46 chromosomes. Humans have 46 chromosomes, 23 pairs (23 from the male and 23 from the female). Chromosomes are a very long molecule made up of proteins. These proteins, combined are called DNA. So chromosomes carry the genetic information from both our parents and, along with our environment, determine who we are.

I was under the impression that the + 2 in 44 and 2 referred to the X and Y or X and X chromosomes that determine sex. At least, that's how I learned it in biology a few years ago.

Khaotic
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think the 46 & 2 part has anythind to do with evolution. This song as well as this album has Jungian influences all in it. One big part of the theory is the collective unconscious. It states that every one has a conscious then a subsonscious which are exclusive to themselves, but there is an even deeper level which everything of the same species share called the collective unconscious. Jung said that he thought you can peel away the layers of the conscious like and onion and each layer will have its own species of consciousness all the way to the first protoza.

Anyways, I think Maynard was delving into his subconscious and analyzing his shadow when he finds bits of the collective unconscious. The next step back in our evolution chain could be a chimp. Therefore, while maynard was digging through his shadow he came to the chimp collective unconscious "forty-six & 2."

asperjack
08-15-2006, 05:40 AM
I don't think the 46 & 2 part has anythind to do with evolution. This song as well as this album has Jungian influences all in it. One big part of the theory is the collective unconscious. It states that every one has a conscious then a subsonscious which are exclusive to themselves, but there is an even deeper level which everything of the same species share called the collective unconscious. Jung said that he thought you can peel away the layers of the conscious like and onion and each layer will have its own species of consciousness all the way to the first protoza.

Anyways, I think Maynard was delving into his subconscious and analyzing his shadow when he finds bits of the collective unconscious. The next step back in our evolution chain could be a chimp. Therefore, while maynard was digging through his shadow he came to the chimp collective unconscious "forty-six & 2."

At this point I would like to point out that there is another species on this planet with 48 chromosomes. It's called a potato.

http://morgan.rutgers.edu/morganwebframes/level1/page2/ChromNum.html

slamminsalmon
08-15-2006, 06:32 AM
and a guinea pig has 64!!!!!!!

maybe thats why my old guinea "rudy" would start squeaking when it was time to feed him. i would cut a carrot and start peeling it downstairs at the other end of the house, and he would start squeaking and doing little guinea back flips up in his cage. he was the shit

Khaotic
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
At this point I would like to point out that there is another species on this planet with 48 chromosomes. It's called a potato.

http://morgan.rutgers.edu/morganwebframes/level1/page2/ChromNum.html

whats neat is that only cultivated potatos have 48 chromosomes
wild ones have 24

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/potato/scitech/biology.asp

thus by eliminating certain factors we can increase the size of the potato, but by doing so we have actually doubled the amount of chromosomes

Also, whos to say that we don't have a potato collective unconcious

The Tower That Ate People
08-27-2006, 01:13 PM
OK I understand the whole chromosome thing every body has always been on...but 46 and 2 would make 48...why would MJK want to become a Chimp?
I can't remember specifically but either apes or chimps have 48 chromosomes...so I don't think 46 and 2 is about the next step in out chromosomes...unless MJK is dumb.

Perhaps he had a moment of cynicism (spelled correctly?) and was of the opinion that human beings next evolution phase was becoming chimps or monkeys, simply because he, at that moment, didn't give much credit to humans.

Yeah a little far out. I haven't decided which I think is correct about the chromosome thing. All that shadow stuff is too obvious but then something tumbles the cardhouse down.

I am confident that the theory of this Meldevech or whatever his name is, is wrong. If having a third eye gives you those extra two chromosomes, well we all have 48 chromosomes. Cueword: Pineal gland.

one_reflection
08-31-2006, 03:26 AM
I recall from an earlier biomedical lecture that humans share common genes/chromosomes (cant recall) with bananas, amongst other things.

I realise I have added nothing significant to this discussion, but i do very much like this song

:D

08-31-2006, 09:27 AM
It has a hypnotic feel to it. Goosebumps everytime :D

sayten
09-01-2006, 03:55 AM
"According to Thoth, there are five different levels of human consciousness possible here on Earth. These are people who have different DNA, completely different bodies and different ways of perceiving the Reality. Each level of consciousness grows from the last one, until finally on the fifth level humanity learns how to translate into a whole new manner of expressing life, leaving Earth forever.
The primary visual difference between these types is their height. The first-level people are about 4 to 6 feet tall. The second-level people are about 5 to 7 feet tall, where we are at now. Third-level people are about 10 to 16 feet tall, which we are about to translate to. The fourth-level being is about 30 to 35 feet tall, and the last is about 50 to 60 feet. These last two levels are for the distant future.
This may seem strange at first, but do we not begin as a microscopic egg and get larger and larger until we are born?
Then we continue to grow taller and taller until we are adults. According to this theory, the human adult is not the end of our growth pattern. We continue through DNA steps until we are 50 to 60 feet tall. Metatron, the Hebrew archangel who is the perfection of what humanity is supposed to become, is 55 feet tall! Remember the giants who lived here on Earth referred to in chapter 6 of Genesis? According to the Sumerian records, they were about 10 to 16 feet tall. When we look at a three-year-old and a ten-year-old, we know that they have different levels of consciousness, and it is primarily by their height that we make this judgment.
According to Thoth, each level of consciousness has different DNA; however, the primary difference is the number of chromosomes. Using this theory, we are now on the second level and have 44+2 chromosomes. An example of the first level is certain aboriginal tribes in Australia where they have 42+2 chromosomes. On the third level, which we are about to move to, people have 46+2 chromosomes. The next two levels have 48+2 and 50 + 2, respectively.."

from the book "Ancient Secret of the flower of life" by Drunvalo Melchizedek

09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
"According to Thoth, there are five different levels of human consciousness possible here on Earth. These are people who have different DNA, completely different bodies and different ways of perceiving the Reality. Each level of consciousness grows from the last one, until finally on the fifth level humanity learns how to translate into a whole new manner of expressing life, leaving Earth forever.
The primary visual difference between these types is their height. The first-level people are about 4 to 6 feet tall. The second-level people are about 5 to 7 feet tall, where we are at now. Third-level people are about 10 to 16 feet tall, which we are about to translate to. The fourth-level being is about 30 to 35 feet tall, and the last is about 50 to 60 feet. These last two levels are for the distant future.
This may seem strange at first, but do we not begin as a microscopic egg and get larger and larger until we are born?
Then we continue to grow taller and taller until we are adults. According to this theory, the human adult is not the end of our growth pattern. We continue through DNA steps until we are 50 to 60 feet tall. Metatron, the Hebrew archangel who is the perfection of what humanity is supposed to become, is 55 feet tall! Remember the giants who lived here on Earth referred to in chapter 6 of Genesis? According to the Sumerian records, they were about 10 to 16 feet tall. When we look at a three-year-old and a ten-year-old, we know that they have different levels of consciousness, and it is primarily by their height that we make this judgment.
According to Thoth, each level of consciousness has different DNA; however, the primary difference is the number of chromosomes. Using this theory, we are now on the second level and have 44+2 chromosomes. An example of the first level is certain aboriginal tribes in Australia where they have 42+2 chromosomes. On the third level, which we are about to move to, people have 46+2 chromosomes. The next two levels have 48+2 and 50 + 2, respectively.."

from the book "Ancient Secret of the flower of life" by Drunvalo Melchizedek

I don't think that's it. The answer, to me anyway, is in psychology. The whole album is filled with psychological hints, to the extent that I would call this album a study in psychology. The title does not, to me, fit in what you suggest. it has to do with how I feel and interpet the song, although that quote you wrote is interesting. The more we draw into it, the easier it gets.

09-04-2006, 02:24 PM
cultivated tobacco has 48 chromosomes... just wanted y'all to know

has any wondered if we are over-analyzing?

Lawy
09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
btw, indigo's have different genes. i'm sure anyone knows that. but they're not like extra-tall, so they could be like unfinished, and their next gen could be 46&2, or the next next gen.
so, what could be the indigo's aim in this world? :
maybe god developed them in a hurry to help humans not to destroy the world.
maybe they will sober our society..
maybe they are just our next evolution level?
or maybe the all song is a dedication to us, to let us know, that the 46&2 beings will cum to us soon.

i'm not under acid, just, umm, like going a little bit nuts.

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Now, I think you're reading too far into it when you say that the APCdiscs and the two new TOOL discs were "foreshadowed" by this song...
Tool is progressive metal. The word "progressive" means "progress, or to get better".How can you get better if you have something already planned out?
The APC discs and TOOL discs were created as they went. It's not like as they were writing 46&2, Maynard said "Hey, this is gonna tell all about Lateralus and 10,000 days....oh and we can't forget Mer De Noms, Thirteenth Step, and eMotive!!!!"...Yeah I'm sure he had ALL that figured out right then.

I don't think there is such thing as a "real tool fan" That's taking it a little extreme...I mean come on..
We all have our own opinions/likes/dislikes, etc.
So what's wrong with liking or disliking the new material?

Personally, I like all the Tool albums, and the APC albums. [with the exception of Mer De Noms...kinda bored me] But nonetheless, I'm sure there's people out there that feel differently than I but that doesn't make them "any less of a fan" than me.

This is the kind of stuff that would annoy Maynard, I think.

People that take this shit way to seriously.

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM
cultivated tobacco has 48 chromosomes... just wanted y'all to know

has any wondered if we are over-analyzing?

YES.

There is no spoon
11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
YES.

overanalyzing is an understatement. The song is either about a retard or evolving into the next step of human evolution.

Nobody touched ou the retarded aspect. Here are 2 lines...

"Forty six & 2 ahead of me" (at 3:24)
"Forty six & 2 are just ahead of me" (at 5:23)

If Forty six & 2, which is 48, are just ahead of you, then you have 47 chromosomes, which makes you very special, like Corky, from Life Goes On.

You're either about to take the next step & evolve, or took a half step too much, and are retarded. Either explanation fits in the song.

Watching and mentioning
11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
overanalyzing is an understatement. The song is either about a retard or evolving into the next step of human evolution.

Nobody touched ou the retarded aspect. Here are 2 lines...

"Forty six & 2 ahead of me" (at 3:24)
"Forty six & 2 are just ahead of me" (at 5:23)

If Forty six & 2, which is 48, are just ahead of you, then you have 47 chromosomes, which makes you very special, like Corky, from Life Goes On.

You're either about to take the next step & evolve, or took a half step too much, and are retarded. Either explanation fits in the song.

I just started reading the aforementioned book "Nothing in This Book is True....etc" and things are making more sense. But I just had to point out that There is no spoon's explanation gave me an extremely good laugh. Much appreciated your "unique" view on the song.

There is no spoon
11-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I just started reading the aforementioned book "Nothing in This Book is True....etc" and things are making more sense. But I just had to point out that There is no spoon's explanation gave me an extremely good laugh. Much appreciated your "unique" view on the song.

Thanks for the feedback. I try to keep it light-hearted.

This is my favorite song, but I have given up on trying to find the meaning. I know all these threads are close, but I'm not putting my faith in anything until I hear Maynard say it.