PDA

View Full Version : MJK = Jesus Christ (and the like)

paraflux
11-22-2002, 08:41 AM
I'm not saying Maynard is using himself personally to compare himself to Jesus Christ. I just think that since the christ consciousness is both the next step in evolution and the second coming of christ, there are obvious similarities that occur naturally.

A lot of people think this is about a patient, like in a hospital. I tend to think it's more like having patience. If there were no rewards to reap, if there were no desire to heal the broken and damaged he meets along the tedious path (evangelising to the third dimensional crew, i.e. us) he certainly would have walked away by now. What do you think kept Jesus going? (And by the way, it matters little to me if Jesus actually existed or not, the story is still the same) Jesus with all his supposed powers could have torched anyone who criticized him, could have flown away from all the people wanting to touch him, could have sewn the lips of those who argued with him, could have left all the damaged and unsightly broken souls he met along the way.
Even with the power the speaker has, he still feels tested. It HAS to be, because there is more than this.

kette
12-05-2002, 01:22 AM
After reading your post, paraflux, i went back and re-read the lyrics and i think i have to agree with you, or at least say that this is definitely a possibility.

the only thing i really wonder about is the line "I still may. And I still may. [walk away]"

in the jesus story there is no suggestion other than the "why have you forsaken me" plea that he ever thought about walking away and leaving us to our own devices.

which makes me think that this might be a more personal lyric than others. it seems to me like Lateralus has taken a turn from loud, dark, and pissed off music (the previous 3 albums) to a more mature and resolved approach to life. The Grudge with it's "Let go" commands seem to be telling us all that there are some things that are not worth the pain of holding onto any longer, and that we should learn to let those things go. and then this song following directly makes me think that the band feels like it is fighting a losing battle with perennially pissed off people who can't let anything go. hence the "grown of tedium."

i wonder if "this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old." line refers to us, the listeners, who can't get over things ourselves, and therefore as fans can't let (or at least encourage) the band to evolve.

seeker
12-05-2002, 03:19 AM
i've noticed similarities between jesus and the lyrics in other songs, but it never hit me in the patient. in the grudge maynard encourages forgiveness (he's practically singing to the pharisees :-D tee hee). in the patient, the speaker is obviously struggling with his path "is this a test? it has to be. otherwise i can't go on." just as jesus did. and yes, there is other than the moment when he's actually hanging on the cross asking 'why have you forsaken me'. in the garden of gethsemane he seems about to break, even asks his God if there is some other way (which, interestingly enough, shows that christianity is NOT just about blindly following what others proclaim as the dictates of god). there are similarly christ-like messages in other songs, as well.

of course i don't think that maynard had been reading up on his bible before he wrote these lyrics, i think he has come to these views on his own. but one must admit, the similarities between the two are ... strange.

any similarities to the character of jesus aren't at all bad and ought not be offensive. and i believe that the band's history of anti-christianity is directed more at the hypocritical self-serving thing its authorities make it out to be, as well as the way they flaunt their power to control the masses with the guilt of sin. believe it or not, there are christians out there who are not mindless drones chanting a dogma that has been drilled into their heads. the story of jesus christ is the one redeeming quality of a much degenerate religion.

clarencew4
12-05-2002, 04:41 PM
I agree with you on this. Just because I think that all organized religion is no different than politics, doesn't mean I don't have faith in anything. I mean the idea of a man like Jesus Christ is a good one. Everyone should strive to be selfless and forgiving and loving and should always treat others how they expect to be treated themselves. It's actually just common sense.

Originally posted by seeker
i've noticed similarities between jesus and the lyrics in other songs, but it never hit me in the patient. in the grudge maynard encourages forgiveness (he's practically singing to the pharisees :-D tee hee). in the patient, the speaker is obviously struggling with his path "is this a test? it has to be. otherwise i can't go on." just as jesus did. and yes, there is other than the moment when he's actually hanging on the cross asking 'why have you forsaken me'. in the garden of gethsemane he seems about to break, even asks his God if there is some other way (which, interestingly enough, shows that christianity is NOT just about blindly following what others proclaim as the dictates of god). there are similarly christ-like messages in other songs, as well.

of course i don't think that maynard had been reading up on his bible before he wrote these lyrics, i think he has come to these views on his own. but one must admit, the similarities between the two are ... strange.

any similarities to the character of jesus aren't at all bad and ought not be offensive. and i believe that the band's history of anti-christianity is directed more at the hypocritical self-serving thing its authorities make it out to be, as well as the way they flaunt their power to control the masses with the guilt of sin. believe it or not, there are christians out there who are not mindless drones chanting a dogma that has been drilled into their heads. the story of jesus christ is the one redeeming quality of a much degenerate religion.

OpiAtE_666
12-05-2002, 05:52 PM
This is just me, but you can't say he was singing about a particular person or place, without at least some reference to that person or place in the title or the lyrics. Otherwise its just pure speculation

paraflux
12-06-2002, 07:01 AM
OK, forget Jesus then if it's easier for you. Put in his place another soul who has helped broken and weary souls along a path that was below him. It works then too.

aeonblue
12-07-2002, 01:33 PM
"it seems to me like Lateralus has taken a turn from loud, dark, and pissed off music (the previous 3 albums) to a more mature and resolved approach to life. "

That's exactly what I've been thinking about. And I like this chance. Yeah, I do love the other albums too, Im actually listening to Stinkfist right now but lyrically, i enjoy Lateralus the most.

Last but not least: I'm feeling myself very stupid when I read your interpretations of the songs, now as I think about them they really make sense to me but I never figured those facts out myself. Maybe I'm just an idiot :) (Useful idiot, that is)