PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding The Single?

TurdEye13
03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Who here is going to avoid the first single? Which seems to be "Vicarious", at this point. I mean, what is 15 days when most of us have been waiting 5 years. My two fears are:

1) It might ruin the first listen knowing what the first track sounds like. Just imagine if "The Grudge" was the first single for Lateralus. The first track for me is similar an opening statement for an album.

2)The radio stations might cut it up and leave a first listen incomplete. Not being sure if you heard the entire song.(Blair will probably put it up on Toolband, so this kinda defeats this point).

phreak03
03-28-2006, 12:29 PM
no chance in hell i'm gonna avoid the single, i've waited too long

Ocelot199
03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
I want to avoid it until the album releases, but its going to be hard...

I agree with what you said about having the opening track be a single ruin part of the first experience. I love the first few seconds of albums... really makes an album, sometimes.

Perseensilmä
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I have waited for seven years...

I won´t probably listen to it. But it´s best to have the first single as the album opener if you want the best first listening experience. At least there won´t be a song that you are already bored of half way through the album.

solidabyss
03-28-2006, 12:32 PM
i kinda hope they cut it up a little so that when i get the cd there will be more to the song than what i thought

KJM
03-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I won't enjoy the any album any less just because I heard the single.

orange.juice
03-28-2006, 12:39 PM
i don't know. Probably. If i can. "there is no single" would be great news for me.

Hodge
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
i will try, i do a pretty good job of avoiding radio anyways, it'll be tougher to avoid this place

my worst fear is despite all of my holding out efforts, i'll walk into the record store day of the release and they'll be playing the album, haha

Perseensilmä
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I have two words of consolation for you:

Stadium Arcadium

phreak03
03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I have two words of consolation for you:

Stadium Arcadium

theres a small sound clip of the first single, it's sounds really good.

pulse
03-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't think I could avoid the single at this point. However, if the single is indeed the first track on the album, listening to it stand-alone multiple times before listening to the entire album should not ruin the experience of hearing the album in full for the first time.

Man I just feel this album is going to kick so much ass!

Perseensilmä
03-28-2006, 12:47 PM

I meant that probably they´ll play Chili Peppers in taht store where taht guy goes, so he shouldn´t be too afraid of the record store spoiling his experience.

l David l
03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
no way im avoiding it simply because i wont be able to sleep if i know its out and others are listening to it. i used to think i would not listen to it, but theres just no way. i dont htink its gonna ruin my first listen to the album

Boozy Eulogist
03-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I think I may. I heard Schism and Parabola maybe a thousand times before finding the rest of the leaks. To this day those tracks, especially schism, kind of lull for me. I don't think of them as lesser songs at all, I just exposed myself to them too early.

Because of that I think I'm going to wait until there is at least a full album leak.

Hodge
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I meant that probably they´ll play Chili Peppers in taht store where taht guy goes, so he shouldn´t be too afraid of the record store spoiling his experience.

chilis come out a week later i think

maybe they'll be playing pearl jam

Octopod
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm not really scared of hearing the single, but I doubt I will because I don't listen to the radio anymore and I have no MTV or similar at the moment. My first notion of the album will almost definitely be the album itself.

Perseensilmä
03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
chilis come out a week later i think

maybe they'll be playing pearl jam

Oh yeah, fuck. Of course Pearl Jam, not Chili Peppers like I tried to claim!!! Silly me, too many albums released around the same time.

mike09
03-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I've waited so very long that I wouldn't be able to control myself. I almost NEED to know what new material from Tool sounds like.

Wretched
03-28-2006, 12:53 PM
I think I'm going to wait. We'll see how I feel at the time though.

Bogart
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Ill tryto avoid the single, but I might as well be realistic about it, i'll more than likely listen to it.

smirk
03-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I have completely given up on rock radio and don't listen to it at all so avoiding the single will be easy.

pulse
03-28-2006, 12:56 PM
The band might stream the single from Toolband before it hits radio on the 17th or whatever date. They did this back in 2001 with 'Schism' prior to it hitting radio, if I am not mistaken. Needless to say, I'll be recording that stream and listening to it quite a bit.

phreak03
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
which being released on the 17th? the song or the video?

Goldfoot
03-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't want to hear the opening track without the rest of the CD, so yeah, I'm gonna avoid it.

millermt
I'll listen to the single as soon as it is leaked, streamed or played on the radio (whichever comes first). I like that the single is the opening track on the album -- the first track sets the tone for the album, so we'll get a little "sneak peek" from it.

One thing to think about: If you are avoiding the single before getting the album, you'll also have to avoid the internet feed from Coachella on April 30th. Good luck avoiding that temptation.

profundo giallo
I dont have the self control to avoid the single.........its been a long time coming.....Way too long!....But then again i was always one of them kids that couldnt help looking for hidden xmas presents even if it spoilt the surprise on the day.

Johnny Truant
03-28-2006, 01:58 PM
One thing to think about: If you are avoiding the single before getting the album, you'll also have to avoid the internet feed from Coachella on April 30th. Good luck avoiding that temptation.
At previous festivals Tool has requested that the cameras be taken down or turned off during their performance, so no worries there.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I wanna hear the album in its entirety. I've waited for years for this; I can wait the extra 2 weeks.

I also don't want my first taste of new music to be a shitty quality, no bass/treble, edited radio single.

I have no problem waiting.

TurdEye13
03-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I am waiting for sure.

ATARI
03-28-2006, 02:19 PM
As much as I don't want to have the opening ruined for me, it IS the new single, and a single is supposed to be heard.

FortySix&Two
03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
It's going to be extremely hard to avoid/resist the temptation, but I'm going to try my damndest not to listen to it if it's the opening track. I agree with the rest of the people who say it ruins the experience of the album in it's entirety.

waffel
03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
i cant decide.

ATARI
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
OH THE DECISIONS

Dharma Bear
03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I want to avoid it, but I don't think i'll be able too due to my excitment. Besides, all my friends will hear it and call me up to talk about it the second its over.....and I think I would be more upset if I had the song explained to me before I hear it.

ATARI
03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
If this was "The Pot" I don' think I'd have a problem with listening to it. OOH TOOL WHY DO YOU HURT US SO

chonus
03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm gonna avoid the single and close my ears when they play it at Coahella.

hellboy1975
03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Meh, I listened to The Grudge a while before I got Lateralus, and it didn't alter the experience for me at all......I still got goosebumps listening it to the first time on the CD as I did i by itself.

CrazyJoeDevola
03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I want to avoid it until the album releases, but its going to be hard...

I agree with what you said about having the opening track be a single ruin part of the first experience. I love the first few seconds of albums... really makes an album, sometimes.

Fuck! That's what I said and I got shit on for it. Anyway, I'm glad this is an issue for more than just me. I'm going to do my best at waiting til May 2nd.

clarity.
03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
holy shit it's crazy joe devola

run to the hills

CrazyJoeDevola
03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Don your helmets, boys. I've got a ferocious jump kick.

Loveboat Captain
03-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Singles are stupid to me. From a listeners point of view. It just takes the song out of context.

ARMZ
03-28-2006, 03:46 PM
When I watch the music video on TV I'm going to press mute.

toology514
03-28-2006, 03:51 PM

where?

Lamb & Martyr^
03-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I'd rather have a single released after the album.

phreak03
03-28-2006, 03:55 PM
where?

i was talking about dani california by the chili peppers

FortySix&Two
03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Fuck! That's what I said and I got shit on for it. Anyway, I'm glad this is an issue for more than just me. I'm going to do my best at waiting til May 2nd.

It's definitely an issue for me, and I hate that. It's going to be a sick, sick game trying to resist and AVOID hearing it.lol I would likely listen if it was going to be anything but the opening track..but I was still going to try to avoid it.

CrazyJoeDevola
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Exactly. If it were any track but the first, I'd gladly listen.

Spongebob
03-28-2006, 04:47 PM
At previous festivals Tool has requested that the cameras be taken down or turned off during their performance, so no worries there.

considering theres about 6 known, confirmed bootleggers who will be taping the show, there is plenty to worry about.

Light Reflections
03-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I won't enjoy the any album any less just because I heard the single.

l David l
03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
i think that the fact that its the first track is a major plus to hearing it before the ablum comes out. that way on may 2 when i listen to the album, i get to hear the single again to get all excited about whats to come. if it wasnt the first track then as im listening to the album (after ive heard the single) and the single comes on i might be tempted to skip over it cause i cant wait to hear whats next.

Rubb.
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
shit i clicked the wrong option lol...

I meant no.

stinkfish
03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
No fucking way i'm avoiding it.

Animus X torsi
03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
im not only gonna wait till the album comes out to listen, im not gonna masterbate till it comes out

myownredeemer
03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
im not only gonna wait till the album comes out to listen, im not gonna masterbate till it comes out

I admire your courage.

Animus X torsi
03-28-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks...if anyone wants to place some bets....

GullyFoyle
03-28-2006, 06:46 PM
no chance in hell i'm gonna avoid the single, i've waited too long

Hell yeah, I'm with you!!

gf

KJM
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Since I didn't like Lateralus I will listen. I want to know that I might actually enjoy this album beofore I buy it.

Spongebob
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM

that post is worthy of a ROFL

HiPp_1
03-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I admire anyone that will actually make it to May 2 w/o hearing it. I sure as hell cant wait, and will listen the second its out.

KJM
03-28-2006, 09:19 PM
You're easily impressed

The Official Fiction
03-28-2006, 09:44 PM
I will be weak and powerless in front of the new single, thus I will put it on repeat.

mattw
03-28-2006, 09:58 PM
I admire anyone that will actually make it to May 2 w/o hearing it.

I admire any single man who can actually make it to May 2 without masturbating...

Seriously though, in an ideal world, I would try to avoid the single because I really enjoyed listening to Lateralus with no idea what any of the songs sounded like - it was awesome! But with this new album there will be plenty of people talking about what they heard on the radio or have read/listened to through the internet etc. It's bloody difficult to avoid every possible form of communication relating to new Tool music for 2 whole weeks...

Also, I know a lot of people who will be talking about, asking me have I heard it, what I think and such. Again, if I avoid the first single, it's gonna be bloody difficult to avoid such people for 2 weeks or keep responding to them "I haven't actually heard it yeat - I'm waiting for the album to come out..."

Plus, it will piss me off when I hear others talking about it - making comparisons and judging it etc. I want to hear it fresh, possessing no 'pre-conceptions' from others...

So I guess my idea is although I would like to avoid the first single (Vicarious), I don't think I will be able to. I'd rather hear it and deal with any associated negatives than NOT hear it and have to deal with everything else, like the pain-stakingly long 2 week wait, avoiding others, avoiding communication etc.

The album will still kick arse anyway!!

Systolic
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Look at "The Ultimate Blair Email" towards the end, and you shall know all.

Perseensilmä
03-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Singles are stupid to me. From a listeners point of view. It just takes the song out of context.

What the fuck? I thought a song´s context is itself.

Postman Pat
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I will be weak and powerless in front of the new single, thus I will put it on repeat.
Yes Yes Yes

s ti N Kfizt
03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
singles suck.. i don't want singles..

i changed my mind to ''maybe'' from ''yes''.. not that i can't wait though. i believe that i don't listen the single.. maybe the muted video like someone said.

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-29-2006, 02:01 AM
im happy that the first single is the first track.......cuse the first track on the previous 4 albums have been one of the best......Sweat, Intolerance, Stinkfist, The Grudge.....those are some kick ass songs

Postman Pat
03-29-2006, 02:05 AM
im happy that the first single is the first track.......cuse the first track on the previous 4 albums have been one of the best......Sweat, Intolerance, Stinkfist, The Grudge.....those are some kick ass songs
good point

s ti N Kfizt
03-29-2006, 03:23 AM
good point
good points is also, that all the other non-opener Tool-songs kick ass even more than the openers.

good nickname btw =)

eulogys
03-29-2006, 06:17 AM
considering theres about 6 known, confirmed bootleggers who will be taping the show, there is plenty to worry about.

I believe he was refering to the actual streaming feed of the festival, not some bootleggers. Unless the bootleggers themselves are streaming the show over the internet, then apc1118's reply to millermt about not worrying about it is still TRUE.
There is nothing to worry about the coachella feed containing any NEW material.

millermt
03-29-2006, 06:45 AM
I believe he was refering to the actual streaming feed of the festival, not some bootleggers. Unless the bootleggers themselves are streaming the show over the internet, then apc1118's reply to millermt about not worrying about it is still TRUE.
There is nothing to worry about the coachella feed containing any NEW material.

So you don't think they'll play any new material at Coachella?!

Vicarious Penis
03-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I said No way.

gerbil
03-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I've decided not to download any leaks. But I'll listen to the single. Especially if it's the first track off the album. I'd prefer to hear the songs in their "proper order" so to speak. I would be upset if it had been a song in the middle, like, Schism.

Johnny Truant
03-29-2006, 08:00 AM
No. Anyone who thinks that Tool won't play new material at Coachella is fucking retarded. Tool usually asks for cameras to be taken down or turned off during their performances at festivals, so the live feed most likely will not contain the Tool show. However, bootleggers will probably capture the show, but it won't be a live feed or anything.

millermt
03-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Exactly what I was getting at. They'll surely play new material. Not sure how much beyond the new single, but pretty much the point of touring is to get the new material out there, isn't it?

On a side note, it is a bit strange that they decided to play this one show before the album release. Did you read that The Smiths were offer $5 million to play Coachella? Seems like Tool probably got a big payday and decided they didn't care if the album was already released or not.

ViVisekt6
03-29-2006, 10:01 AM
there is no such thing as overplaying ANY tool song.. i still listen with awe, when i hear schism or sober for the millionth time.

Octopod
03-29-2006, 01:50 PM
there is no such thing as overplaying ANY tool song.. i still listen with awe, when i hear schism or sober for the millionth time.

While I agree with this point, there is certainly something to listening to something for the first time that makes it distinct. The awe you experience after a thousand listens is by no means the same as that of the first. It is for this reason that I hope I don't hear the single.

Having listened to one song on an album several times before listening to the whole thing at once has to change the experience to some degree because it makes you familiar and comfortable with part of the album before you even have it... it gives you a foothold that the rest of the album will wrap itself around once you do have all of it. Does it make much difference? Probably not, but some difference nevertheless. Myself, I want to go in completely blind. I want to be surprised by every second, all at once. I want to experience all of the songs with an equal sense of unfamiliarity. It's a rare opportunity to do so with this band.

donkeynorris
03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I will listen to the single often for sure. I can see how waiting could make the first listen a better experience. But, there will be so much mystery with the new album, even after hearing the single. I can't help listening as soon as possible. I'm too curious to hear it.

Animus X torsi
03-29-2006, 03:07 PM
im gonna not listen, but have a friend tell me how good it is

paganman7
03-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Cameras are allowed at Coachella. Can a single band from a lineup of 79 other bands dictate policy?

Johnny Truant
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
They have done it before.

jitbox
03-29-2006, 03:44 PM
I listened to Schism quite a few times when it hit the airwaves before Lateralus hit the shelves. I don't think it ruined my "experience" of the album at all; on the contrary, it was nice to hear the song first out of context, and then in the context of the album.

Animus X torsi
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
yeah ill admit it... schism and apc are the two reasons i started listening to tool

millermt
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Judith was my introduction to MJK, which led me to Tool.

Animus X torsi
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
weak and powerless -> apc. then i started to wish apc was harder. then my friend told me about tool

FortySix&Two
03-29-2006, 04:03 PM
While I agree with this point, there is certainly something to listening to something for the first time that makes it distinct. The awe you experience after a thousand listens is by no means the same as that of the first. It is for this reason that I hope I don't hear the single.

Having listened to one song on an album several times before listening to the whole thing at once has to change the experience to some degree because it makes you familiar and comfortable with part of the album before you even have it... it gives you a foothold that the rest of the album will wrap itself around once you do have all of it. Does it make much difference? Probably not, but some difference nevertheless. Myself, I want to go in completely blind. I want to be surprised by every second, all at once. I want to experience all of the songs with an equal sense of unfamiliarity. It's a rare opportunity to do so with this band.

I agree with all of that, and that is what I'm going to strive to do with this album.

eulogys
03-30-2006, 05:02 AM

I wasn't commenting on what Tool will be playing, they could play everything off of 10,000 days, but their set will not be included in the streaming feed. As for the bootleggers, I doubt they'll have the video posted anywhere before the album comes out here in the states.

jack_without_sally
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
i've waited to long for this, i cant wait to here it, heard they were influenced by a band called meshuggah, sounds to interesting to miss

Postman Pat
03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
i've waited to long for this, i cant wait to here it, heard they were influenced by a band called meshuggah, sounds to interesting to miss
Meshuggah..............very very heavy...............which is nice

RedVilliam
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm not going actively search for the single but if I'm in the car and not listening to ESPN radio and the single happens to come on I'll listen. But other then that I'm not a download freak so I'll wait for the album.

vatas
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I'll wait for the album, for sure.