PDA

View Full Version : What about death?

SagEarthDragon
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey, I'm new so don't be too harsh!!!!!

Something about this song always seemed cataclysmic to me. I don't know, but the imagery is especially strong in my mind whenever i listen to this song.

Notice how Maynard sings about being cold as ice and not really reacting to anything while the snake tells him behind closed door "Well, it could've been worse.". Then there is,

My blood before begs me to open up my heart again,

Maybe a death in the family? And then he learned to turn to something for comfort but that was the one thing that really 'killed' or 'broke him down'.

Maybe I'm reading far too into it, but that is how I felt when my beloved Pap died this January. I'm not an emotional person, but I couldn't even flinch at the sight of his body, I couldn't find the courage to want to cry, stone cold you know?
Something about H. reminds me of a paralysis of sorts. Not anything that would relate to Heroin in my opinion. Because it sounds like the lyrics portrays a caving in and giving in to emotional grief and learning to take comfort in someone else.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me. (4x)

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.

And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
And will die.
It’s all right.
I don’t mind. (3x)

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,

And considerately killing me. (3x)

But that is what I love about songs, you never can grasp it entirely. It's all up here (points to cranium)
Haha, hello everybody because I'm a newbie!
What do you think?

tool25
04-03-2006, 04:37 PM
i have no idea what this song means but it is probably my personal favorite tool song

HarryManback2122
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
H. can mean anything you want it to mean. Thats the great thing about TOOL you can come up with your own assumptions to what there songs are about.

H..
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Sorry guys, lost my old account (friend hijacked it) so am starting my journey once again. This has got nothing to with this convo, but with all the attention focused on 10,000 days, ijust wanted to return and say, regardless of how brilliant every tool song has been and will be: NOTHING will EVER surpass H.
EVER in my opinion.

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 11:29 PM
H. can mean anything you want it to mean. Thats the great thing about TOOL you can come up with your own assumptions to what there songs are about.

yes