PDA

View Full Version : How will your respect for tool change if 10k days is a hoax?

NoD
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I still don't believe the title is 10,000 days nor the artwork is a coverpiece, and my respect will increase even higher if it is all proven false in the coming weeks. Being successful by followoing their own rules and not giving a fuck about the industry's standards is all what tool's about. How would you feel?

hellboy1975
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Meh

LoKi
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
i lol on everyones heads.

KJM
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't believe the record company would let them waste all the promotion time and money into a fake album.

NoD
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't believe the record company would let them waste all the promotion time and money into a fake album.

Fake titles do not mean a "fake album". And I don't think tool gives one fuck about their record company, not too mention they haven't spent any money on promotion.

ATARI
03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I think that it wouldn't change because at this point I don't care either way anymore. I just want something

KJM
03-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Fake titles do not mean a "fake album". And I don't think tool gives one fuck about their record company, not too mention they haven't spent any money on promotion.

Responses like this make me wish more people owned guns and had intense fits of depression.

I don't even want to respond, you don't get my point, because... no fuck it. I'm not indulging you.

Sleep
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
The band are funding this album themselves so it's their money they'd be wasting. In a sense. It's still promotion for a new Tool album so they're still getting something out of it.

Bogart
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't care either way. But, it would be kind of lame if it is all a hoax.

KJM
03-27-2006, 04:40 PM
The band are funding this album themselves so it's their money they'd be wasting. In a sense. It's still promotion for a new Tool album so they're still getting something out of it.

Where did they say they were funding promotion themselves? It's the record company that makes more than the majority of the profit off of an albums sale. Not the band. It's in their best interest that promotion go well.

NoD
03-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Responses like this make me wish more people owned guns and had intense fits of depression.

I don't even want to respond, you don't get my point, because... no fuck it. I'm not indulging you.

...um, ok....chillax

Sleep
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Where did they say they were funding promotion themselves? It's the record company that makes more than the majority of the profit off of an albums sale. Not the band. It's in their best interest that promotion go well.

Joshua Davis said his website couldn't be done till after the album was completed as the bands money was tied up in it as they were funding it themselves. Can't remember where exactly but I'm sure someone will remember.

waXresilienT
03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't expect my respect for them to change one bit. I really don't care what the album is called, as long as it comes out. As for the promotion aspect of it the album is still getting reviews, people are talking about listening parties, and we're all discussing it. If they do change the name, that actually might mean a lot of free promotion with DJ's and people all over talking about how they changed the name at the last second. Either way, I think it won't matter.

KJM
03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Joshua Davis said his website couldn't be done till after the album was completed as the bands money was tied up in it as they were funding it themselves. Can't remember where exactly but I'm sure someone will remember.

Funding the recording? It's a hard thing to believe that a record company would really be OK with promotion of the fake material. They usually want vendors to have correct information so that buyers can be informed and get the product.

It's very hard to believe that they would be OK with no one knowing what's really going on a month before it's release.

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
i won't give a shit. i'll think it's a little shallow of them, but i understand it's probably more to prevent leaks than anything.

Misanthrope
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
If they didn't give a fuck about the industry standards or what other people though, how come they would make a fake tracklist and then spend a lot of time promoting an album?

Sleep
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Funding the recording? It's a hard thing to believe that a record company would really be OK with promotion of the fake material. They usually want vendors to have correct information so that buyers can be informed and get the product.

It's very hard to believe that they would be OK with no one knowing what's really going on a month before it's release.

It's still promotion for a new Tool album. All in all there hasn't really been alot of promotion regardless. Once the single hits the promotion will start and the real info will have to be released if that isn't already the case. As long as the date is right it doesn't matter a whole lot if the album title is wrong.

Fap
03-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm with the "it wouldn't change (my respect)" crowd.

NoD
03-27-2006, 05:16 PM
If they didn't give a fuck about the industry standards or what other people though, how come they would make a fake tracklist and then spend a lot of time promoting an album?

Why else? To fuck with people who like to take advantage of the information early.

Misanthrope
03-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Why would they do that if they didn't care?

NoD
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Why would they do that if they didn't care?

Well just because they don't care about the industry doesn't mean they don't care about anything. I'm sure they care about their artistic integrity and vision and their right to say when they want the people to know what exactly they've been working on, not some corporate schmuck. It's caring about having control over your product and its' distribution.

KJM
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
It's still promotion for a new Tool album. All in all there hasn't really been alot of promotion regardless. Once the single hits the promotion will start and the real info will have to be released if that isn't already the case. As long as the date is right it doesn't matter a whole lot if the album title is wrong.

Right, you don't care and the band doesn't care, but the business making the money probably would.

Sleep
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Right, you don't care and the band doesn't care, but the business making the money probably would.

Yeah they would. But, if the band funds the recording of the album and for the promotion, then why exactly are they paying back the record label? Aside distribution of course. For the most part I think the label knows what they're getting with Tool which will be solid results. The whole point of funding the recording and promotion would be so that the band has more control. If anything it's the band taking all the risks here. They stand to lose more than the label.

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah they would. But, if the band funds the recording of the album and for the promotion, then why exactly are they paying back the record label? Aside distribution of course. For the most part I think the label knows what they're getting with Tool which will be solid results. The whole point of funding the recording and promotion would be so that the band has more control. If anything it's the band taking all the risks here. They stand to lose more than the label.

studio pays for recording, album sales pay it back.

tool still goes through a record label because it makes negotiations with promoters, CD pressers, production, studios, mixers, etc. easier... and because they have a contract.

sur
03-27-2006, 06:13 PM
to think that the new album is an hoax is based on absolutly nothing.

nothing. nada.
just a couple of stupid threads.

Indrid Cold
03-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, I’ve learned to accept it either way. When I first saw the Album name and track titles I was like "ehhh" then over time I just sort of accepted it. Now either way whatever will happen I know will be amazing. It is Tool you know. So basically my respect for the band will stay pretty much the same cuz each time they release great work. Shouldn’t ever judge a book, I mean cd by its track titles and cd cover. :)

MentalSanityOff
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll respect tool as musicians, regardless of whether or not the album is a hoax. The content of the album, however, is a different story...
(oh god, no apc influence please)

Spongebob
03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
i will respect them fuckloads more if i find out the album is a hoax.
if it isn't a hoax then i have lost respect for them.

Exoskeletal
03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
It wouldn't change a fukin thing, I would probably just laugh at it, but at this point it seems this is no hoax at all, but well... we can expect anything here.
My respect for the band comes from their music and the message within. So, who cares about titles? I must admit this tracklisting is a bit akward, but I guess it makes no sense to make judgements, the music is what really matters here.
Tool is delivering something new here, think about it...

FortySix&Two
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
If anything, I'll respect them more. But I won't lose any if everything is a hoax, or if any parts of it are (except for the release date LMAO). I could care less if they didn't reveal the real information and artwork until the day it is released, my respect wouldn't be lost.

Xariable
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
If Tool delivers artistically I will respect the art, and them as artists, just same as I do now. The speculation is all fun, I don't get to attached however. I recall when I first heard Tool, in 1998, I was into the music not the politics around the music. It remains so to this day. Art first.

NoD
03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
(oh god, no apc influence please)

Well that review said his vox were more attuned to apc material...but it's not like the music will be remotely similiar

flipmojo
03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
i will respect them fuckloads more if i find out the album is a hoax.
if it isn't a hoax then i have lost respect for them.

Reason you wrote this: Because you will look like a jackass.

You aren't supposed to doubt things when there is no evidence of foul play. If something fake is there, it isn't very hard to notice. Everything I have read about the album information being a hoax comes from people taking nothing and twisting, ripping, slicing, dicing and rolling it up into some nutty conspiracy theory.

I don't see how anyone could lose respect for the band no matter what happens with the album though. If the album info is real, then why was there ever a doubt? If the album info is fake, then Tool went WAY out of their way to hide info, and nobody cares. New title, new art and new tracklisting... it makes no sense. Who cares? Let's hear the music.

Either way it goes, the world gets a new Tool album. Everyone should enjoy it no matter what; except of course those that annoyed and encouraged everyone to doubt this whole time. Those people should have to wait another year before getting to listen to the new album. That year would give them more time to deny everything they hear or read about the new album.

Boozy Eulogist
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
It won't.

khemystri
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
GRAIN OF SALT...... Im a music fan, and Tool is my favorite band.

HiPp_1
03-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I dont think I would lose respect for them, but it seems a bit overboard at this point to go to such measures for it to be a hoax, no matter what their reasons are for doing it.

LoKi
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
i'd still suck them off because tool are the only good band out there and i wank over them all the time because i think for myself and question authority.

Mr.Rubberburner
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
there will be no April Fools hoax

eonphi
03-27-2006, 10:31 PM
laugh and wait for the real one

Leroy Brown
03-27-2006, 10:43 PM
My respect will never change for TOOL. I think anyone who says their's will is probably not worth wasting anytime talking to... And I also think that TOOL's joke for April 1st will be completely non-album related.

FortySix&Two
03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
And I also think that TOOL's joke for April 1st will be completely non-album related.

I've been thinking the same lately. I don't see why they would be feeding everyone this information as an April Fool's joke. They've sent too much information to too many different media outlets, etc, and most people's main reasoning that it would be fake is to prevent leaks. Well, if they are being as careful as we've been told so far with hand delivering the album to listening sessions, waiting and monitoring them, and taking the cd back with them every time, there isn't really a way for it to be leaked even if the album information they've given us is real.

Hannibal
03-27-2006, 11:27 PM
i'm finding myself to be more apathetic towards the whole thing. april 1st is Saturday, and just like the above poster stated, its possible that nothing will happen. At the same time, I'm comfortably welcome all of the information better once the 1st is passed us.

in light of that, the first single, Vicarious, coming out in 20 days is awesome. I can't wait.

paraflux
03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Reason you wrote this: Because you will look like a jackass.
Never have I wanted a band to change the name of their forthcoming record as I do right now.

You aren't supposed to doubt things when there is no evidence of foul play.
You dont get to tell me what or how I am supposed to think, sorry. Besides, I have plenty of examples of this band fucking with its fans.
If something fake is there, it isn't very hard to notice. Everything I have read about the album information being a hoax comes from people taking nothing and twisting, ripping, slicing, dicing and rolling it up into some nutty conspiracy theory.
Isnt hard to notice? Not unless the band really puts forth lots of effort into the ploy.

I don't see how anyone could lose respect for the band no matter what happens with the album though. If the album info is real, then why was there ever a doubt? If the album info is fake, then Tool went WAY out of their way to hide info, and nobody cares. New title, new art and new tracklisting... it makes no sense. Who cares? Let's hear the music.
Wait... so let me get it right... if you are right, then everyone is a fool who thought differently, and if you are wrong, then nobody cares?

Either way it goes, the world gets a new Tool album. Everyone should enjoy it no matter what; except of course those that annoyed and encouraged everyone to doubt this whole time. Those people should have to wait another year before getting to listen to the new album. That year would give them more time to deny everything they hear or read about the new album.
Yeah, you go ahead and decide who gets to listen to what... pfff

eddie75
03-28-2006, 07:39 AM
I would care less, infact I'd think it was funny as hell

seppukujack
03-28-2006, 08:36 AM
What its named does not affect the quality of the effort put into it. If the album is good and there is a hoax, I'd laugh my ass of and think they did a great job. If the album has no name change and is good, I won't really care, I will still be picking it up on release day. If the album is horrible, I dont care what name it has, I will be dissappointed to a small extent. But then again thats like asking someone to make a miracle five times in a row.

And this part is off topic: For those saying they would be wasting money on promoting 10,000 days as a title if it isn't. The amount of air time it would get from MTV, radio stations and the like would give them their investment back ten-fold so thats a moot point, just look at the coverage of last years April Fools.

Post Post Script: I'm only being a hypocrite by posting here but I think a lot of people here are just stir crazy waiting for the album and are overprocessing things way too much. Just let it come. Its been how many years between albums you've waited, you only have to make the stretch of a few weeks now.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I still don't believe the title is 10,000 days nor the artwork is a coverpiece, and my respect will increase even higher if it is all proven false in the coming weeks. Being successful by followoing their own rules and not giving a fuck about the industry's standards is all what tool's about. How would you feel?

i still feel the way i did when this was discussed 3 weeks ago....

Padermeister
03-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Well if its a hoax ill just say "Ooooh, those pesky Tool guys".

When its known for sure either way, i just wanna watch the reaction of the lil test hamsters on these forums.

phreak03
03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
i wouldn't really care, if it's good music then i'm happy

Wretched
03-28-2006, 12:48 PM

But lets say it is all false; I don't give a fuck as long as the music is good.

mountain_goat
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
this is getting kind of silly, isn't it? one album ruse (before "lateralus") does not a trend make, and the album name given back then was funny; the title was something i dare you to pronounce.

i can't think of any reason "10,000 Days" wouldn't be on the level. but if i'm wrong, i'll eat my hat.

idontmind462
03-28-2006, 01:17 PM
everything you believe is a lie

jerico v
03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
i am definitely right and you all are stupid and anyone who believes differently than me should be locked up and killed! you idiots who don't agree will see when the album comes out! YOU'LL SEE!!! but god, stop discussing it, you aren't allowed to talk about things that haven't happened yet. that's called the future... duh.

paraflux
03-28-2006, 01:39 PM
omg u singel-handedly pwnt every membur of these forumz

Goldfoot
03-28-2006, 01:42 PM

But lets say it is all false; I don't give a fuck as long as the music is good.
I still hope it's all untitled.

embracingyou
03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
This is what you all make Maynard do when you doubt Tool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFoWz4fiwCE&search=maynard%20james%20keenan

...or something.

paganman7
03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm going to be in San Francisco on April 1st for a scientific conference! Damn, I'm going to miss all of the fun. :(

ProdigyDub
03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
People that still think the album is a hoax need a head check. There are no less than 10 objective, concrete signs pointing to the fact that it is surely real, and only 1 which is causing anybody to doubt it--subjective belief in the fact that Tool "wouldn't in a million years use this album title/tracklisting/artwork".

I'll take the objectivity over the subjective nonsense any day.

idontmind462
03-28-2006, 02:05 PM
pay attention

splints
03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
the whole reason for the listening parties isn't promotion, its to prevent a leak.

flipmojo
03-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Never have I wanted a band to change the name of their forthcoming record as I do right now.

You dont get to tell me what or how I am supposed to think, sorry. Besides, I have plenty of examples of this band fucking with its fans.

Isnt hard to notice? Not unless the band really puts forth lots of effort into the ploy.

Wait... so let me get it right... if you are right, then everyone is a fool who thought differently, and if you are wrong, then nobody cares?

Yeah, you go ahead and decide who gets to listen to what... pfff

LOL.

Once again, "Hi. I'm Paraflux. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm full of it. I love to hear myself talk. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Let me over-analyze and break everything down so I can seem important. BS, BS, BS. Nobody cares what I say. I don't care. I love myself."

Cucumber_11
03-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I wont loose any respect if its fake.

Heres something to keep in mind though. Tool have only given us THREE things to do with the new album:

1. The Title
2. The Tracklist
3. A picture (Not the artwork, a single, little, picture)

If this was a fake this has cost them absolutly no money at all. The title they could make up in a second, track list... well we've all seen how easily they can be made up, as for the artwork? Alex Grey is a mate, how hard would it be to ask him to give them a little "work-in-progress" or unfinished peice? Tool have paid nothing if this is a fake.

Having said that I don't think it is... lol

Ertai
03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
what everyone doesnt understand is this whole hoax thing, or susposive hoax, is a way to get FREE promotion.... Once the really information drops, the media whores will indulge in talking about it.

idontmind462
03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
that was refreshing.

tcM_Emperor
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Funding the recording? It's a hard thing to believe that a record company would really be OK with promotion of the fake material..

Uhhh, remember what happened before lateralus? Someone show this kid the facts about Systema Encéphale please thanks.

paraflux
03-29-2006, 12:57 PM
LOL.

Once again, "Hi. I'm Paraflux. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm full of it. I love to hear myself talk. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Let me over-analyze and break everything down so I can seem important. BS, BS, BS. Nobody cares what I say. I don't care. I love myself."

This, kids, is an example of someone who laughs and mocks when he has nothing to say. You dont want a discussion, flip. You want everyone to bend to your opinion.

tcM_Emperor
03-29-2006, 01:04 PM
This, kids, is an example of someone who laughs and mocks when he has nothing to say. You dont want a discussion, flip. You want everyone to bend to your opinion.

Sounds like a right-winger tactic to me :-X

Jayar
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
no

idontmind462
03-29-2006, 02:54 PM
fuck yeah.

noisetherapy
03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
he has you there flip