PDA

View Full Version : Flyers in record stores

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Ok so yesterday I went to real groovy (a record store) in Christchurch in New Zealand and there were posters up and brochures to be handed out saying "tool new album 10000 days out may 2006". If neede i can take a pic of this brochure when i next go to my m8s hus house its at. The tool logo was the old lateralus logo (wtf?) so i don't really get wtf is going on. But what I was really wondering is whether other people have seen similar things in record stores in their hometown. Chur

KJM
03-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I would assume the store made them.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah that's what I guessed, I guess my point is that I don't think tool is bullshitting us. If they are it is one massive gamble to tell record stores, your label etc a pack of lies just for an april fools joke of some sort? agreed?

justify_denials
03-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Ok so yesterday I went to real groovy (a record store) in Christchurch in New Zealand and there were posters up and brochures to be handed out saying "tool new album 10000 days out may 2006". If neede i can take a pic of this brochure when i next go to my m8s hus house its at. The tool logo was the old lateralus logo (wtf?) so i don't really get wtf is going on. But what I was really wondering is whether other people have seen similar things in record stores in their hometown. Chur
Im not going to question the validity of the album name as much as I am going to question the authority status of the band members.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
You reckon?

Vlad
03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
hoax...?

justify_denials
03-26-2006, 05:05 PM
You reckon?
Its all just a bit confusing. Seeing the "10,000 days" title everywhere helps support the fact that it is real. But im not going to question the title. I will just question the band.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Why question the band though, they may be fucked up on drugs right now, isn't that a good thing? I would more question the record stores sources!!! But at this confusing moments in time should we just say that this perhaps adds some more weight to the argument of 10000 days being the true title? i do not actually know.

justify_denials
03-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Why question the band though, they may be fucked up on drugs right now, isn't that a good thing? I would more question the record stores sources!!! But at this confusing moments in time should we just say that this perhaps adds some more weight to the argument of 10000 days being the true title? i do not actually know.
I would think that the stores would know less seeing as they did not make the album.

justify_denials
03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
as to what is going on, I do not know. I will just wait for the release.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I think that is a good plan, don't know why I did'nt think of it sooner. Fuck!

dekard49
03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I guess all the stores/mags/websites are deriving their information from the same source: Toolband.com. I believe its unlikely that the "10,000 days" title is a hoax, but I dont think the fact this particular information is appearing everywhere confirms its %100 true - I would only be *convinced* if the info was coming from SEPARATE primary sources.

As far as I can see, the only primary source is TOOLBAND.COM (and that sister site you have to pay 100 bucks (!?!) to join), and everyone is leeching from that.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, they have a monopoly of the sources. I guess if they really wanted to they could tel us the album art features bagged urine and it would be just as believable. WHEN WILL THIS TORTURE END!!??

Light Reflections
03-26-2006, 05:18 PM
What was the actual question? This is a ploy by the record store to hype the new Tool release. As far as we all know, the title is 10 000 Days. I don't think they would have gone into the semantics, such as the "Tool font".

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:20 PM
the question was, does this add leverage to the argument that the real title is 10000 days? and has anyone else seen similar flyers in record stores? I'm just interested in how far this possible "hoax" is going? Maybe it has spiralled out of control for the Tool "family?"

Light Reflections
03-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Maybe a little. I try not to get too caught up in the whole "Is it fake?" thing. I'm leaving the door open, yeah, but as I see it now, the album is titled 10 000 Days.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I guess I have to agree, I'm just taking it all day by day with whatever new information comes to light.

dekard49
03-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe a little. I try not to get too caught up in the whole "Is it fake?" thing. I'm leaving the door open, yeah, but as I see it now, the album is titled 10 000 Days.

I'm on this bandwagon as well. Can we stop at the pub?

Light Reflections
03-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm on this bandwagon as well. Can we stop at the pub?
Bloody oath.

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-26-2006, 05:51 PM
ive accepted the fact that its 10,000 days...and the tracklisting is real.....but it would be nice to see them pull something out of their asses at the last minute

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Only if you're drinking ICE COLD beer ;)

Light Reflections
03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Bundy rum's my poison. ;)

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I've been looking but I haven't seen anything yet.

Away in the sea of red
03-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Sweet, it was one shitty poster though. I was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm off, I should probably attend my lectures.....At least this thread hasn't turned stupid yet, its actually an awesome thread! <3!!!!

ATARI
03-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Did you guys whine this much when Lateralus came out?

MasterOfKtulu109
03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
we know it is called 10000 days, and we know it's coming out in may. this is all on the tool website, so why is this news again?....

dracomordag
03-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Sweet, it was one shitty poster though. I was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm off, I should probably attend my lectures.....At least this thread hasn't turned stupid yet, its actually an awesome thread! <3!!!!

LIES

Dharma Bear
03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I was really wondering is whether other people have seen similar things in record stores in their hometown.

I have not seen any advertisments anywhere, but I can't escape hearing about it. My local radio stations seem to bring it up in the most random moments......"So that was Metallica with Enter Sandman, and Tool's new album comes out May 2nd."

Spongebob
03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
we know it is called 10000 days, and we know it's coming out in may. this is all on the tool website, so why is this news again?....

because the album name, tracklisting and artwork all seem lame and fake.

pensar
03-27-2006, 02:46 AM
I don't think the album is coming out for a long time in NZ lil buddy. So I doubt they'll get any P.O.P. posters (point of purchase posters) there until roughly when the album is slated for release.

However, this is still confusing in the U.S. Marketing should have posters up by now, covering giant spaces in music stores, and even hastings and barnes n noble. People are taking a big risk not promoting the album a month before its release date.

ADR's should be getting their encrypted CD's and listening to those and be putting up posters as well.

Even if this album title and CD cover were fake, real posters would be going up with the "real" cd and artwork.

someone in marketing is really screwing up.......sure they have us, the built in audience, but what about all the people who own a tool CD or two? the casual listeners if you will

Idiotica
03-27-2006, 03:23 AM
they're in it for the long haul it seems - touring and word of mouth will be their method of promotion.

mad017
03-27-2006, 03:39 AM
in Australia the big day out (music festival) program contained a similar advertisment. tool (laterlaus logo) new album. Autum 2006. this was all it said apaprt fomr a small advertisment for the schism and parabola dvd's.

Code of the Streets
03-27-2006, 06:40 AM
If neede i can take a pic of this brochure when i next go to my m8s hus house its at.

Make it happen.

(If you can find a scanner, even better.)

WhyDontWeDoItInTheRoad
03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
You should have taken a picture before.

Windir
03-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Even if this album title and CD cover were fake, real posters would be going up with the "real" cd and artwork.

Well, the problem is that Tool doesnt seem to have send those posters... and if the Christchurch's music store is the only one with a new album poster, it's gotta be a fake. Surely someone else must have seen it too.

I highly doubt that, if Tool would send out the posters, they would only send them to a small selected group of stores/radiostations or whatever. I'm still in believe that Tool is screwing with us. This is just another prove, unless Tool is making a huge (risky) stunt by NOT promoting the upcoming album at all.

Imagine...

Nebel
03-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah I have hardly seen ANY album promotion at all...

Staralfur
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
well i thought by now we all realised the stunt is to promote the album without any promotion at all.. that 's so trendy of them..

Windir
03-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I have hardly seen ANY album promotion at all...

Exactly. Or perhaps this IS their way of promoting the album. It seems like alot of radiostations are fighting for the latest news. So are the magazines and even websites (like amazon and stuff).

People like that already promote the upcoming album enough to make it rise to the top 3 album hit-charts within a week after the release. Easily. Especially since Tool keeps us waiting this long and everyone is eager to know WHAT the new Tool will look like... and even more so; sounds like.

Staralfur
03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
yeah, it's called a teaser...

Windir
03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
... guess we have to wait a bit longer for the trailer then.

RacecaR123
03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't think the album is coming out for a long time in NZ lil buddy. So I doubt they'll get any P.O.P. posters (point of purchase posters) there until roughly when the album is slated for release.

However, this is still confusing in the U.S. Marketing should have posters up by now, covering giant spaces in music stores, and even hastings and barnes n noble. People are taking a big risk not promoting the album a month before its release date.

ADR's should be getting their encrypted CD's and listening to those and be putting up posters as well.

someone in marketing is really screwing up.......sure they have us, the built in audience, but what about all the people who own a tool CD or two? the casual listeners if you will

Tool never really promotes their albums in the typical way. They let the word fly, and it has so far, worked. Look at Lateralus, it debuted at #1, and "10000 days" is already pretty high on amazon.com charts as well. I have no doubt they will succeed yet again. The only thing I can hope for is that everything is going to come together smoothly and be one big nice fat package of art for me to drool over for the next five years. If not, well then they may have to rethink their marketing strategy next time around. If there is a next time that is.

insaner
03-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I guess all the stores/mags/websites are deriving their information from the same source: Toolband.com. I believe its unlikely that the "10,000 days" title is a hoax, but I dont think the fact this particular information is appearing everywhere confirms its %100 true - I would only be *convinced* if the info was coming from SEPARATE primary sources.

As far as I can see, the only primary source is TOOLBAND.COM (and that sister site you have to pay 100 bucks (!?!) to join), and everyone is leeching from that.

could you give an example of what a "SEPERATE primary source" is?

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 01:00 PM
wait, how is Tool not promoting their album? I see just as much Tool advertisement as RHCP and Pearl Jam advertisements... album name, track listing, and a single out soon.

dekard49
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
could you give an example of what a "SEPERATE primary source" is?

Apart from the band? The record label.

Slave
03-27-2006, 02:21 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures.

ATARI
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
This thread is worthless without peins.

whatever you say tex

Goldfoot
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
whatever you say tex

What's a pein?

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
i think it means pictures

eonphi
03-28-2006, 01:35 AM
need images!!!!!

Windir
03-28-2006, 07:02 AM
wait, how is Tool not promoting their album? I see just as much Tool advertisement as RHCP and Pearl Jam advertisements... album name, track listing, and a single out soon.

Did you really? Have you seen official posters/flyers and/or something similar? Like stated before in this thread, everyone promotes the album FOR Tool. They dont directly promote it themselves.

P.S. Guys. One person asking for pictures is enough ;]
I'm also eager to see a picture of that poster, lets be fair.

Nebel
03-28-2006, 07:04 AM
What's the point? It just sounds like the older one only with 10,000 Days under it.

MOON
03-28-2006, 07:24 AM
In Paris, on the Metropolitan, we have some poster for the Paris show... its white, and just "Tool" (Lateralus logo) + the date... nothing else... Black caractere on a white background...

insaner
03-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Apart from the band? The record label.

well both the band and label have stated this was all true.

any other sources you need?