PDA

View Full Version : Artist eh ?

SgtLurch
03-11-2003, 03:17 PM
well so far after looking at all of the art in this forum all i have found is shitty doodles and things too easliy done with a program that don't actually require any talent just few extra minutes and a lot of clicking. so next time you think about submiting a peice of "artwork" think about whether its art or a doodle that was mostly done by a filter on Adobe Photoshop.

plexus
03-11-2003, 04:09 PM
jeez... look like someone isnt loved

GregoryWohlwend
03-11-2003, 07:29 PM
what is your definition of art?

my definition:

anything created or fashioned, more specifically by a sentient being...

so natural things like dirt, landscapes, rocks etc. and so on are not considered art in my book, but in most cases the natural things far exceed those which we fashion or create = ART.

for instance, i look around and i see some words on my bulletin board, a desk under my arms and many other things that need not be labeled in this venue... all of these things i consider art, however there quality is quite shitty and the scope of the ideas that they bring to my mind are limited to say the least...

so, again... i ask what is YOUR definition? disagreement usually causes verbal scuffleamong the sheep, however i'm sure as Tool fans we are above that. right?

nwimnthng0
03-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by SgtLurch
well so far after looking at all of the art in this forum all i have found is shitty doodles and things too easliy done with a program that don't actually require any talent just few extra minutes and a lot of clicking. so next time you think about submiting a peice of "artwork" think about whether its art or a doodle that was mostly done by a filter on Adobe Photoshop.

ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

it was psp not photoshop :P

and it looks like your expectations are too high

i dont think someone with a thousand dollar painting would be posting it up on a tdn message board?

plexus
03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
just forget about this guy... hes just in a bastard sause things arent going right for him or some other bullshit... theres no point in replying to something like this... unless youre a mother who will accept this loveless person as your own

Chris_Brightwell
03-11-2003, 08:44 PM
well so far after looking at all of the art in this forum all i have found is shitty doodles and things too easliy done with a program that don't actually require any talent just few extra minutes and a lot of clicking. so next time you think about submiting a peice of "artwork" think about whether its art or a doodle that was mostly done by a filter on Adobe Photoshop. You're forgetting that opinion and quality are 100% subjective.

If you don't like it, that's fine. That gives you neither the right nor the ability to point at something and say, "That's not art."

After all -- there are folks out there who don't like Tool and describe it as nothing more than "Noise, angst, and pretentious garbage."

It's all in perspective. Opinion. Tolerance for another's likes and dislikes.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator

GregoryWohlwend
03-11-2003, 10:10 PM
"just forget about this guy... hes just in a bastard sause things arent going right for him or some other bullshit... theres no point in replying to something like this... unless youre a mother who will accept this loveless person as your own"

"On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won't understand
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away

i think that sums it up as to why i didn't forget about him/her

Reuben
03-11-2003, 10:24 PM
He just wants attention. I think the great pink floyd would probably be referring to people a little more deeply scarred than your average obnoxious kid seeking a laugh...
But you could be right.

And mister, photoshop can be used to create some very interesting effects by those less skilled, ie. ME. If I create something that looks cool or that holds meaning to me, then I might choose to share it with people. You may as well go complain that people are using pencils to make art. Is that cheating? And not always is the means of creation important, sometimes an end result that stirs people, even if entirely unintentional, can be valuable.

euthanasia
03-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Life is words
Life is colors
Life is music
To all they speak differently
To all they speak art
And makes us cry

mike tyson
03-14-2003, 02:12 PM
hey buddy, lets see some of your artwork, if you are so superior

life is art

psilomind
03-26-2003, 06:09 PM

I should shit on your face.

What have you posted, besides your complaints?

...I hope this doesnt affect our relationship (dont worry, plexus will never know!)

plexus
03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by psilomind
I should shit on your face.

What have you posted, besides your complaints?

...I hope this doesnt affect our relationship (dont worry, plexus will never know!)

I WILl KNOW.... MY DIARREAH TELLS ME!!!!!!!111

psilomind
03-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by plexus
I WILl KNOW.... MY DIARREAH TELLS ME!!!!!!!111

damn.

Stinkarm
03-28-2003, 06:38 AM
haha hes not replying
what a dipshit
u guys scared him ;)

48&2
04-09-2003, 12:13 AM
hahaha, this is hilarious. Yeah photoshop just a few clicks and a few filters and wallah, a masterpiece!, no im sorry my friend ps is a dam hard program to use and still requires a lot of talent and imagination. What the hell do you think ps does. lets see some of your ps art you ignorant pig!

psilomind
04-09-2003, 04:11 PM
And thus, one Sgt. Lurch has disappeared from the depths of the Arts forum, never to be found again. Farewell...

Peekay
04-12-2003, 07:09 PM
using a bunch of predesigned effects, i feel does not make one an artist, i'm not trying to take a shot at anyone, thats just how i feel.

omnipotent
04-15-2003, 02:21 AM
It's obvious sgt lurch was provocing something of a construct definition on art, and that he is kinda pissed on people who dont give a fuck about art and willingly erode the meaning.
I believe art has two significant standpoints/foundations;

to EXPRESS and to CHALLANGE!

i.e the creator expresses something that is by regular means unexpressable and the spectator/voyeour is challanged by the diversity/diverging analogies used to convey a seemingly common/fair communicator.
If the so called "artpiece" does no live up to these constructs i.e expressing the creator and challangeing the spectator than it simply isnt art!

Feel very free to disagree!

I will now let my guard down by displaying my throat and giving you an address to which I have constributed to:
http://themammalreunion.no-ip.com

/ Kal Pokus

GregoryWohlwend
04-15-2003, 03:03 AM
i agree with you there oh all powerful one, but only when it comes to good art. i think people often call art which they do not enjoy or consider to be quality, something other than art. to understand my concept i'll ask you to look at the universe, don't get holed up in your room or neighborhood, but look at everything you can imagine and all of time within that.

*waves fingers up and down while singing 'tuddleedoo, tuddleedoo, tuddleedoo*

man is just a sliver inside that thing, and all things before and after, outside and within are mostly natural productions of some force or chance in which we cannot comprehend. let's call it 'reality.' so this reality we are living in has so much nature in it, yet what happens when you have a being which recognizes itself as existing coupled with the fashioning of tools. these tools which seem to have brought us to this point in our societal evolution were created by our hand, rather than natures. in my book by these creations not being out of mother natures womb, makes them a manifestation however bland or extravagant. these manifestations may take on qualities throughout their lifetime which later seem to hold sentimental or even antique value.

take the example of a desk, few consider a desk to be art, however what of a desk from the 1850's with markings made from wear and tear. this desk has high value attached to it, and perhaps those who value this do so for an attachment to certain memories or meanings it conveys to them. much like a photograph or painting would... so you see we live in the age of mass production, mass manifestation. you can't escape art, in fact art may be taking over our lives and soon replace nature itself...

the longer this goes on the more and more i value nature as the most perfect of manifestations much higher than any creation done by man-kind.

i understand there are a few counterpoints which can be made against my stance, yet just as with stance, it is my opinion which wavers gently rather than firmly. feel free to play with it as you would like.

Andy DV
04-26-2003, 03:10 PM
We've talked about this on the is forum before. I believe man is not above nature, so anything we create is a part of nature as well. Just like a beaver makes a dam or a bird creates a nest, we create art, architecture, and so on. But our creations seem colder and more complicated, which give it the appearance of being somehow above the natural world.