PDA

View Full Version : Song Meaning

J1516
03-11-2003, 03:03 PM
This is just where we can post what we think the meaning of the song is for us, and here's what I get:

Before this album came out I was listening to a lot of post rock, and this song kinda seems like Tool doing Post Rock, which for those of you that don't know is a style of arty music portraying an idea or emotion mainly, or in most cases entirely, through music. Basically Godspeed You! Black Emperor. So when I discovered that tool was doing a non-interlude insturmental song I assumed it would be like that. The song seems like it summarizes the entire album and finds an ending to it. It begins with the strange noises, the loud distorted guitars, the tribal drum beats, and the keyboard which with the guitar creates the screaming sounds and strange effects. This seems to be the portrayal of the human drama that was faced from The Grudge to Schism. The tension builds up and reaches a violent climax with the voices sliding by like they're lost in all of the chaos. Then it goes into that softer more melodic part. That part feels like he has run away or been defeated and has had to find this escape in peace. The keyboards creating the effect give light peacefullness in all of the chaos that is stell clearely there that he must face. This part is the parabol/a lateralus part of the album. Next the climax comes back for another round, in the DRT part of the album. The battle goes on and then you hear a guitar lightly in the background fighting for a way through the chaos, which is the search for the true peace and enlightenment needed to survive. The guitar comes through with clarity and triumph. The entire song slowly dies away, ending all of the pain and emptiness prevelant through the album. The energies from that part all come together and arrive at one point symbolizing a rebirth/changing negative to positive. The album doesn't tell you any more after that because it wants you to decide where you go afterwards; tool has simply led you on this journey and they leave you to continue with your life.

But that's just what I get from the song, what do you guys think?

Nirvana
03-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by J1516
This is just where we can post what we think the meaning of the song is for us, and here's what I get:

Before this album came out I was listening to a lot of post rock, and this song kinda seems like Tool doing Post Rock, which for those of you that don't know is a style of arty music portraying an idea or emotion mainly, or in most cases entirely, through music. Basically Godspeed You! Black Emperor. So when I discovered that tool was doing a non-interlude insturmental song I assumed it would be like that. The song seems like it summarizes the entire album and finds an ending to it. It begins with the strange noises, the loud distorted guitars, the tribal drum beats, and the keyboard which with the guitar creates the screaming sounds and strange effects. This seems to be the portrayal of the human drama that was faced from The Grudge to Schism. The tension builds up and reaches a violent climax with the voices sliding by like they're lost in all of the chaos. Then it goes into that softer more melodic part. That part feels like he has run away or been defeated and has had to find this escape in peace. The keyboards creating the effect give light peacefullness in all of the chaos that is stell clearely there that he must face. This part is the parabol/a lateralus part of the album. Next the climax comes back for another round, in the DRT part of the album. The battle goes on and then you hear a guitar lightly in the background fighting for a way through the chaos, which is the search for the true peace and enlightenment needed to survive. The guitar comes through with clarity and triumph. The entire song slowly dies away, ending all of the pain and emptiness prevelant through the album. The energies from that part all come together and arrive at one point symbolizing a rebirth/changing negative to positive. The album doesn't tell you any more after that because it wants you to decide where you go afterwards; tool has simply led you on this journey and they leave you to continue with your life.

But that's just what I get from the song, what do you guys think?

i think this post is to long for this song... but... its nice...!

Confused Post:):-:(Nirvana):-:(

paraflux
03-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Despite things you have said in the past, I think your ideas are great in this regard. I especially like the idea of the guitar fighting through at the end. However, I do still think on the broadest scales possible, so maybe they left the end blank, as you say, to leave it up to us what to do after that. But I think of us as all together at that point, collectively creating and transforming as we did in the beginning of this universe.