PDA

View Full Version : Maynards vocals

paraology
03-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Since we all know that the new album is "very heavy" does anyone think that maynards vocal style might have changed for the album as well? I mean do you think he may be using somewhat of a death metal style because of the heaviness of the album. I personally dont think he will use this style and I hope he dont. His clean vocals are what makes him the best frontman in rock.

Unstuck in Time
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
He has problems doing "Ticks & Leeches" live. So I don't think his style on the new record is much more aggressive.

T-13h
03-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I had a premonition that it's actually a lot more melodic. Very Puscifer.

burningsky
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Think hawkwind plays greensleeves as pink floyd looks on.

orange.juice
03-25-2006, 12:50 PM
i hope he shuts the fuck up and does only dancing on stage.

seriously, we can expect some heavy digital voice effects.

Windir
03-25-2006, 12:52 PM
He has problems doing "Ticks & Leeches" live. So I don't think his style on the new record is much more aggressive.

That was like... 3/4 years ago?

Hodge
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
it doesn't matter if it was a day ago or 5 years ago...obviously he has troubles singing like that

Crucify the Ego
03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I think if they have the softer more melodic maynard vocals accompanying and balancing the heavy guitars it will be a very interesting sound.

Windir
03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Of course it does. He could've practiced eh?

Unstuck in Time
03-25-2006, 01:00 PM
That was like... 3/4 years ago?
That screaming kills your, well his throat. In 2002 and in 2006. Noone's voice gets tougher, as years go by.

Sketch Soland
03-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I think if they have the softer more melodic maynard vocals accompanying and balancing the heavy guitars it will be a very interesting sound.

i agree. im very curious to hear the meshuggah influence meshing with maynard.

denzel__x
03-25-2006, 01:05 PM
I love how mezmerizing and soothing Maynard's vocals can be.

And also how harsh they can be - like in Hooker.

I just hope they haven't changed. Anything from Tool, and i'll be a happy bunny. I don't think they'll let us down. =]

mon-go-lloyd
03-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Apparently, Maynard's been trying out some stuff with a Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 on this album... That should probably be cool.

Peace

svet-am
03-25-2006, 01:31 PM
That screaming kills your, well his throat. In 2002 and in 2006. Noone's voice gets tougher, as years go by.

not neccessarily true. Rob Halford is mid-50s and his voice sounds stronger on Angel of Retribution than it did on Painkiller. I'd say his is getting better with age. You should hear him on Judas Rising and Hellrider would make Maynard shiver.

ATARI
03-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Heavy doesn't equal screaming.

Lamb & Martyr^
03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Please answer this question for yourself........

Unstuck in Time
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
not neccessarily true. Rob Halford is mid-50s and his voice sounds stronger on Angel of Retribution than it did on Painkiller. I'd say his is getting better with age. You should hear him on Judas Rising and Hellrider would make Maynard shiver.
I am not into Judas Priest, but I'll believe you. Nevertheless, there's a difference between "singing" (Halford) and "screaming" (like in "Ticks & Leeches").

MentalSanityOff
03-25-2006, 02:14 PM
does anyone think that maynards vocal style might have changed for the album as well?
i predict his balls will finally drop, so expect more voice cracks.

Happyfunball
03-25-2006, 02:27 PM
When it was originally talked about, I thought the issue with Ticks and Leeches was that it cost Maynard three weeks after they recorded it due to the vocal strain (ie, he wasn't able to sing period, not just that particular song). Early on in interviews I know he vowed never to sing it in concert for that very concern. Obviously, either he had a change of heart or realized it wasn't quite as hard for him to sing as he thought; or perhaps both.

I haven't heard more than one recording of them doing Ticks and Leeches live, but Maynard did not sound as though he was struggling with it to me. Maybe I just happened to hear a good show.

submachine
03-25-2006, 02:31 PM
He has problems doing "Ticks & Leeches" live..

Who wouldn't? Its still the greatest TooL song, he HAS done it live at least once (I have the video), and he doesn't have to do every song live anyway.

Lets hope heavy = Ticks and Leeches.

dgnrtv-bng
03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
" I haven't heard more than one recording of them doing Ticks and Leeches live, but Maynard did not sound as though he was struggling with it to me. Maybe I just happened to hear a good show.[/QUOTE]"

You got a link??

Unstuck in Time
03-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Who wouldn't? Its still the greatest TooL song, he HAS done it live at least once (I have the video), and he doesn't have to do every song live anyway.

Lets hope heavy = Ticks and Leeches.
I know they've played it live. I didn't want to imply that Maynard James Keenan is a bad singer because he can't perform this one song in a live situation. Not at all!
What I wanted to say is that "this one song" is a difficult one for him to sing, live on stage. That's why I believe there won't be too many tracks on the new album that involve aggressive vocals. MJK could do such songs in the studio but not during a show. And I don't think they would record a bunch of songs they can't reproduce.

Loveboat Captain
03-25-2006, 03:25 PM
He doesn't need to sing any much more agressively. Like in Hooker With A Penis, he sounds agressive, due to distortion on his voice.

TheHolyGift
03-25-2006, 03:28 PM
LOL at Maynard doing death grunts over Danny's 11 minute long blast beat.

Unstuck in Time
03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
LOL at Maynard doing death grunts over Danny's 11 minute long blast beat.
LOL
Daaaaaanny, don't cheat!

tonedef
03-25-2006, 03:56 PM
ticks and leeches is a good song, not the best, but good because he screams. However screaming and deathmetal growls are soooo different. A scream destroys a throat wereas a growl does very little. I think it would be neat to blend in some aggression, with some growls, and some parabola stylings for good measure and balance. However personally, i dont think maynard could pull off any meshuggah. It'd be like radiohead doing a slipknot cover. peace.

TheHolyGift
03-25-2006, 04:14 PM
A death growl, his "Undertow" aggressive voice, Ænima natural kind of voice, and Lateralus voice with 30 overdubs, ALL ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.

InertUniformity
03-25-2006, 04:25 PM
holy fuck...has anyone here heard the version of stinkfist that is on distortion online? i think it was put up fairly recently. nards vocals sound different in some way.

the fuckin bass is insane in that song...just hearing the sound of that trippy breakdown at the end gets me excited about the new album

submachine
03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
holy fuck...has anyone here heard the version of stinkfist that is on distortion online

holy fuck: link

MentalSanityOff
03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
link us up

InertUniformity
03-25-2006, 04:33 PM
dudez...its just distortion online...its not that hard to find :/
but it wont hurt to post it...

looks like they threw in a concert from ohio too...interesting

http://distortiononline.com/content/index2.html

EDIT:

For the bafoon: the audio is of course in the multimedia section - check it out, especially stinkfist...was anyone here at that show?

submachine
03-25-2006, 04:36 PM
ticks and leeches is a good song, not the best, but good because he screams..

Oh its the best. Its a thundering rollercoaster to hell and back, with the best scream in any rock song ever.

Like TooL itself, its greatness is not immediately recognized because it is different, but it actually gets better with repeated listenings.

InertUniformity
03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh its the best. Its a thundering rollercoaster to hell and back, with the best scream in any rock song ever.

mmm...that seems like a silly thing to say

TheHolyGift
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
mmm...that seems like a silly thing to say

It's all a matter of personal taste, isn't it?

Grimface
03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Maynard's voice always makes me cum honey :o

InertUniformity
03-25-2006, 05:20 PM
It's all a matter of personal taste, isn't it?

mmm very true...

its a claim that i personally would not make however - because i have not heard every single rock scream...

certainly many of you have however.

ATARI
03-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Maynard's voice always makes me cum honey :o

the ladies would love that

Light Reflections
03-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Maynard sung T&L live WITH THE AIDE of a vocal effect machine. (whatever they're called)

As for the new album, a review from someone at one of the listening parties stated that it was more APC like, melodic. Which will be sweet.

LoKi
03-25-2006, 08:41 PM
if there's no farting noises being made from his armpit i'm going to be fucking dissappointed.

submachine
03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
I didn't like Ticks and Leeches at first. For a while it was my least favorite song overall. Now I love it, hehe.

:-)

submachine
03-25-2006, 09:25 PM
As for the new album, a review from someone at one of the listening parties stated that it was more APC like, melodic. Which will be .

HORRIBLE.

The idea is APC = light, TooL = Dark.

Hearing TooL should make you want to tear your scalp off, chisel through your skull and tattoo "TooL" on your brain-meat, see?

Sol Invictus
03-25-2006, 09:35 PM
wow. it usually makes me think. you may want to see a shrink man.

Scrunzset
03-25-2006, 10:02 PM
He has problems doing "Ticks & Leeches" live.

Not when they were in Sacramento. =P

And we aaallllll know they do the "fuck you" songs in Sacramento. ^.^

But seriously, I was expecting Maynard to fuck up / abruptly cut-off during the screams, but no... he was dead on. Could've been using recorded help, but I doubt it.

Scrunzset
03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I love how mezmerizing and soothing Maynard's vocals can be.

He's definitely the siren of my life. If I'm ever sailing turbulent and dangerous waters, and Maynard was chillin' on a rock doin' his thang.... I'd be FUCKED.

Sol Invictus
03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
thats the most fucked and creative illusion of grandeur anyone has had since i have been here.

chalimar
03-26-2006, 12:30 AM
you ever heard the album "verisäkeet" by moonsorrow? now that's screaming. and they ARE doing it live.

screaming apparently doesn't destroy everyones voice. when i listen to that album i just know it's true. it's just insane what that guy does to his voice.

btw: lol @ tool going death metal. ever heard death metal? no way they're going down that path.

Sol Invictus
03-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I have always read that chad from mudvayne got his scream by gargling with rocks then blowing a piece a paper against the wall for as long as he can. I think he said that in some radio interview. I used to be a huge mudvayne fan around LD 50 days they have fallen off for sure.

maneva
03-26-2006, 01:06 AM
ticks and leeches is a good song, not the best, but good because he screams.

good just because he screams? you're kidding me right?

Bongzilla
03-26-2006, 01:38 AM
You people don't know much about vocal work and singing overall, do you? Screaming can be done without hurting the throat at all, same goes for shouting and growling. The whole idea is using your abdomen to power the voice, instead of your vocal chords. You keep your throat totally rested so it won't get strained. If you really keep it tight and rasp it around, it will get permantently damaged. I think back when they did Lateralus, Maynard didn't know how to control his abdomen for stronger volumes, that's why his screeching hurted his voice in the recording sessions bad. You can hear it because the sceams kinda muffle out and become extremely tight, you can hear how tight up the vocal chords are. It sounds extreme, but also a bit flat. With more open and loose vocal chords it will sound a lot richer and chunkier scream.

But I'm pretty sure he knows how to do that stuff now. If he is performing it dead on live, he has to know it or the man is insane. Continuing to scream in the wrong tenchinque will give you a tumor to the chords. Several growlers have had this, like Katla the ex-singer of Finntroll. But I'm also sure the new album won't include that much more screams or shouts. Or course if the overall style is more heavy, I expect heavy vocals. But heavy vocals and screaming/growling aren't the same thing.

If you want to hear examples of screaming/shouting done right listen to Peter Dolving from The Haunted, Lou Keller from Sick of it All and my personal favorite: Trevor Strnad from Black Dahlia Murder. That is some insane screaming, and he does it through out the whole album. His screams are better on Miasma than Unhallowed though, so I recommend that album. You can hear the progress.

Rubb.
03-26-2006, 01:50 AM
When I scream it sounds better live.

Unstuck in Time
03-26-2006, 02:25 AM
[...]
Thank you for the insight! I happen to know a little about the practice of singing, but I forgot about articulatory phonetics a long long time ago...

onebear
03-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Tool performed Ticks & Leeches, that I know of, at these shows:

2001.10.09 National Car Rental Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
2001.11.01 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA, USA
2001.11.08 Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA, USA
2002.05.12 Brixton Academy, London, England
2002.05.17 Rock Am Ring, Nürburgring, Eifel, Germany
2002.05.21 Columbiahalle, Berlin, Germany
2002.05.25 Donnington Race Course, Castle Donnington, England
2002.05.26 Punchestown Race Cource, Kildare, Ireland
2002.05.29 Spodek Sporthall, Katowice, Poland
2002.06.01 Goffertpark, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
2002.06.04 Restelo Stadium, Lisbon, Portugal
2002.07.13 Arco Arena, Sacramento, CA, USA

Isac Khrondor
03-26-2006, 03:51 AM
And he had that weird effect on his voice to make it sound harsher when he did it ive.

I don't want more songs in the style of Ticks & Leeches, it's a shitty nu-metal sounding pile of crap, had a few moments in it, but apart from that it's boring and generic.

chalimar
03-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Ticks & Leeches = drum track. I like it, but I think it's the weakest song on Lateralus. Lyrics are boring (compared to rest), screaming is kinda overdone at times and it's too long.

sularetal
03-26-2006, 04:58 AM
I heard Maynard is going to use a Mr. Microphone on this album.

Fit4Demolition
03-26-2006, 10:52 AM
i dont listen to many screaming bands, but one that attracted me was Avenged Sevenfold. The singer doesnt scream now but on the two older albums he did and it was truely unique. Theres a video of the song Reminissions live and theres a loud intro and then the singer coming in with a scream that overpowers the rest of the band, and the guy continues to scream like that throughout the entire show. although he did fuck up his throat a year and a half ago when touring in england because of his screaming.

i like ticks and leeches a lot, maynards voice is awesome in it. imo maynard has the best voice in rock. the videos of him playing with apc on the late night shows are the reason why. he hits every note perfectly, my favorites are the Outsider and 3 Libras. anyone else notivce that maynard always has the same posture when hes singing? always the left foot in front of his right. and you can actually see his stomach moving when he sings.

Spaceman Spiff
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
"The Outsider" live on a late night show? What show was that? I'll have to find it to download...

His clean vocals are what makes him the best frontman in rock.
One of the best vocalists, I'll agree, but as a frontman? He stands in the dark with his back to the audience behind half the band - not sure I could call him the 'best frontman in rock' at all... to James Hetfield I could give that title, certainly he ranks higher as a frontman, though not as a vocalist.

eL-TooLo
03-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Maynard's gonna sing the BLUES ont the next TOOL album. I think it's gonna be a Blues-Rock psychedelic album, and very hard and progressive as well... it's gonna be awesome music.

idwita
03-26-2006, 03:32 PM
"The Outsider" live on a late night show? What show was that? I'll have to find it to download...

One of the best vocalists, I'll agree, but as a frontman? He stands in the dark with his back to the audience behind half the band - not sure I could call him the 'best frontman in rock' at all... to James Hetfield I could give that title, certainly he ranks higher as a frontman, though not as a vocalist.
you would have to be talking about the basic role of frontman-of-a-rock-band, then. the problem with that, is that that definition involves the vocalist as personification of a band's image. tool's image is at least significantly if not mostly based on not having one in the first place, though, so you can't quite think of that 'standard for frontman' in the same light. everything that -is- part of tool's "image", Maynard expresses in concert: quick witticisms as well as short anecdotes, words given with the intent of sparking individual thought and sense of humor, as well as the artful and creatively weird visual portrayal of himself, which along with the usual steady devotion of his voice to the sonic art of the moment, places him squarely with the rest of the band in the eyes of all devoted witnesses.
each of the four members does an equally perfect job, for his even quarter of the band; otherwise we wouldn't all be posting up a storm here at toolnavy.... :)

another thing, i'd say comparing TOOL and Metallica is a disturbing thought in the first place. and how old is Hetfield these days, anyway? ;)

on a note of slight compromise tho, i can of course agree that no, great singer does not equal great frontman.

systematicdecline
03-26-2006, 03:54 PM
And he had that weird effect on his voice to make it sound harsher when he did it ive.

I don't want more songs in the style of Ticks & Leeches, it's a shitty nu-metal sounding pile of crap, had a few moments in it, but apart from that it's boring and generic.

christ do you not hear the drums? danny is the star of this song and i love him dearly with all my heart.

eyechakra
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
For the bafoon: the audio is of course in the multimedia section - check it out, especially stinkfist...was anyone here at that show?

hahaha. I implore to guess what show those 2002 songs are from... it could be any of them... j/k

I'm glad you like it

idwita
03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
thought i should also post something on what this thread's actually about... :P

on the one hand i've been hearing about applying standard voice-training/coaching methods to aggressive vocal styles (screaming, growling, whatever), and i've only yet heard that it's just as effective there as with regular singing.
on the other hand, given that i've heard about Meshuggah and Fantomas as influences, and yet we're obviously still talking about MJK, i really don't feel like i have any idea what to expect on that level.

what i -have- heard about the vocal stylings of the upcoming material, is i'm sure not entirely news around here, and what i kno ain't real specific, but since nobody's mentioned it at all yet on this thread: i read something somewhere within webpages directly tool-related, about someone talking to Alex Grey and MJK's new vocal style coming up. according to Alex, the new style involves more flowing transitions between voice and instruments, the effect being that of the voice as an apparent extension of the instruments and vice versa. then again, i recall reading in the same place that in the version Alex Grey heard, the style was done more strongly than it would be on the new album.

here's hoping someone will know where i read about that ;)

submachine
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
wow. it usually makes me think.

LOL, I dont need music to think. And when I want to learn, I shut off the system and open a book, see?

submachine
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Ticks & Leeches = drum track. I like it, but I think it's the weakest song on Lateralus. Lyrics are boring (compared to rest), screaming is kinda overdone at times and it's too long.

Figures that someone who think Ticks is weak is the same on whose avatar is a photograph of MJK.

Sol Invictus
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
so he cant have a picture of a member if he doesnt like their stuff on one song, shut up.

etaipo
03-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Figures that someone who think Ticks is weak is the same on whose avatar is a photograph of MJK.
Drum Track, was that a joke?

Sol Invictus
03-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I always give people a chance and submachine has used his. I have always thought him to be a moron. Please go somewhere else. I am currently reading 3 books if you really think thats where knowledge comes from and have a degree in anthropology. Go back to the N*sync boards.

Spaceman Spiff
03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
you would have to be talking about the basic role of frontman-of-a-rock-band, then. the problem with that, is that that definition involves the vocalist as personification of a band's image. tool's image is at least significantly if not mostly based on not having one in the first place, though, so you can't quite think of that 'standard for frontman' in the same light. everything that -is- part of tool's "image", Maynard expresses in concert: quick witticisms as well as short anecdotes, words given with the intent of sparking individual thought and sense of humor, as well as the artful and creatively weird visual portrayal of himself, which along with the usual steady devotion of his voice to the sonic art of the moment, places him squarely with the rest of the band in the eyes of all devoted witnesses.
each of the four members does an equally perfect job, for his even quarter of the band; otherwise we wouldn't all be posting up a storm here at toolnavy.... :)

another thing, i'd say comparing TOOL and Metallica is a disturbing thought in the first place. and how old is Hetfield these days, anyway? ;)

on a note of slight compromise tho, i can of course agree that no, great singer does not equal great frontman.
Well of course I'm using the term with that image in mind since that's what the term typically (for all practical purposes, pretty much exclusively) refers to.

Tool and Metallica are completely different, no question. That was kinda the point. I'm pretty sure Maynard and James are within a couple years of each other in age. As far as comparing them being so strange - wasn't it Maynard who said something about Lateralus being "their Black album"?

Isac Khrondor
03-27-2006, 12:46 AM

Shut up, idiot.

ripewithdecay
03-27-2006, 06:16 AM
i predict his balls will finally drop, so expect more voice cracks.

I think that happened during their 8/17/02 performance in Providence during "Parabola". ;)

chalimar
03-27-2006, 07:13 AM

Sorry, I don't understand your post. Could you please elaborate? (=Shut up. Thanks.)

MasterOfKtulu109
03-27-2006, 07:35 AM

not any older than maynard.

chalimar
03-27-2006, 07:58 AM
not any older than maynard.

yup. metallica was founded in 1981 and hetfield was 18 back then. the guy just started his career earlier ;)

well ok, and he's one year older.

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I have always read that chad from mudvayne got his scream by gargling with rocks then blowing a piece a paper against the wall for as long as he can. I think he said that in some radio interview. I used to be a huge mudvayne fan around LD 50 days they have fallen off for sure.

lol, wtf?

Sol Invictus
03-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Dont know what that has to do with vocal training but thats what he said. *shrugs*

Sol Invictus
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I would imagine the blowing the paper would train you to use your air wisely and the longer you can hold it the longer you can hold a note, but as far as the rocks that seems dangerous haha

Animus X torsi
03-27-2006, 02:48 PM
heaviness doesn't always mean louder or more obnoxious, it could refer to heavier subject matter

CrazyJoeDevola
03-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I can't wait til the there's a thread titled "Maynard's Vocals" or something to that effect and its actually about dissecting the tones we're actually hearing in his voice on 10,000 Days. Not to mock any of the discussion here I just really can't wait to hear it.

submachine
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I don't understand your post. Could you please elaborate?

Not surprised. Of all the possible avs, you chose a photo of your idol. I guess its ok if youre 12 years old, kid. But anyone else is lol-ing at ya, including the subject of your worship :)

submachine
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
I am currently reading 3 books.

Wow, you must be the king of Texas!!11

systematicdecline
03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
heaviness doesn't always mean louder or more obnoxious, it could refer to heavier subject matter

word...word

Sol Invictus
03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Wow, you must be the king of Texas!!11

No my point was that just reading books doesnt automatically equal knowledge. I mean ofcourse people who read instead of watch tv all day usually are quite more knowledgable, but my point was thats not the only place you can learn. Living itself is a learning process, school, discussions with other people, research, and perspective on life also allow us to obtain many different levels of gnosis. I really just dont care for you submachine....my favorite thing i have read on this board was why the west coast was better than the east coast is because the west coast doesnt have submachine.

dmoney
03-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I just want the long famous Maynard yell in at least two songs

Idiotica
03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
since when does 'heavy' refer to anything but the music?

submachine
03-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Living itself is a learning process, school, discussions with other people, research, and perspective on life also allow us to obtain many different levels of gnosis.

"gnosis" lol, you psuedo-intellectuals kill me. Wheres music up there in that list, texan, did you forget the entire subject already?

Q'ayin
04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
EDIT--- Typo, wasn't ready to post, don't care to rewrite or explain further right now.