PDA

View Full Version : The truth about this song

pathological2
03-25-2006, 07:58 AM
schism = a seperation or division into factions, especially within a religious body.
-The American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd edition.

schism = A SEPERATION OR DIVISION INTO FACTIONS, WITHIN A BODY.
-What I think based upon the context of the song.

A seperation within yourself. Not being connected to your spirit. Being asleep to the truth. Being victim to the devil within.
The goal - to being connected to your true self, to wake up. To see the pain is an illusion.
The goal is reached in "Parabola", that's why it's the song after "Schism".

The connection is again lost in "Reflection". It seems to be a circle, perhaps a perfect one.

UtUmNo1
03-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't do hallucinogens so I guess I'll never know.

Arnie
03-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I was at a Tool show in 2001 in Germany and in between songs maynard said: "this next song is about surviving (or survival)"

... then they started to play schism. Maybe that helps you.

Wingedson
04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
schism = a seperation or division into factions, especially within a religious body.
-The American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd edition.

schism = A SEPERATION OR DIVISION INTO FACTIONS, WITHIN A BODY.
-What I think based upon the context of the song.

A seperation within yourself. Not being connected to your spirit. Being asleep to the truth. Being victim to the devil within.
The goal - to being connected to your true self, to wake up. To see the pain is an illusion.
The goal is reached in "Parabola", that's why it's the song after "Schism".

The connection is again lost in "Reflection". It seems to be a circle, perhaps a perfect one.

I agree with most of this. Well said. I feel that a lot of the references, especially in the video are about uniting the Anima and Animus within ourselves and healing the Schism that is most obvious in this world which is the denial of our internal self, or soul, higher self, spirit, etc. That soul is Male/Female, God/Goddess...a spark of the divine Mind/Will.

"Pure intention juxtaposed
Will set two lovers' souls in motion
Disintegrating as it goes
Testing our communication
The light that feuled our fire then
Has a burned a hole between us so
We cannot see to reach an end
Crippling our communication"

Pure Intention...hrmmm seems like the original intent of creation, juxtaposed in such a way that the original intent of man/woman becoming united and strong as Twin Flames has become corrupted and turned into a game of manipulation, feeding, and destroying one another...just look at the dating and marriage in America or world wide. Thats my feelings any-who.

Emericana
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't do hallucinogens so I guess I'll never know.

you're missin out buddy

allusion7.0
04-23-2006, 05:37 PM
you're missin out buddy
hell yes

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
maynard said: "this next song is about surviving (or survival)"

... then they started to play schism. Maybe that helps you.
It's about his mom.

HateSolstice
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
It's about his mom.

Hate to break the bubble there buddy, but not EVERY song Tool writes is about Maynard's mom.

The song is so simple, and yet no one seems to get it at all. It's about communication. Fuck, just read the damned lyrics. It's about communicating to someone, especially a significant other, and working through problems.

Why do Tool fanatics feel the need to overcomplicate Tool's music?

justify_denials
05-14-2006, 02:56 PM
It's easier to do.

rageboy
05-15-2006, 09:08 AM
lol. it is easier. and being poetry, you're allowed to take more out of it than is meant, but for me, this really isn't about more than communicating with a loved one...significant other (between supposed lovers) or family member (between supposed brothers). doesn't mean that it isn't though...pieces and burned a hole make me think i need to think about the song more...

Howard
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey, can anyone explain to me the meaning of "The poetry that come, from the squaring off, between. And the circling, is worth it. Finding beauty in dissonance" in another (clearly) words?

I never got this one.

Alucard II
05-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Hate to break the bubble there buddy, but not EVERY song Tool writes is about Maynard's mom.

The song is so simple, and yet no one seems to get it at all. It's about communication. Fuck, just read the damned lyrics. It's about communicating to someone, especially a significant other, and working through problems.

you're Maynard now, yes? and of course not all Tool songs are about Maynards mother - MOST of them are about anal sex.