PDA

View Full Version : Decoder

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Do you guys think that the new album will come with a Tool Decoder ring?
I sure hope so. Best tool album ever.

Dear all: After learning that Tool already pulled a prank on us once, I would like to withdraw the below comment from the public and instead hope for my bottle of wine.

<strike>PS: Do people *seriously* think that the band, which is going to sell *millions* of albums (note to gl0tch and the other conspiracy theorists: you are not the only tool fans out there...actually, a metric fuckton of people enjoy their music as represented by the sales numbers) is currently trying to play a hoax on the 5% of the fans that check the website? Who knows, maybe they are, but that would be a pretty big waste of time while they promote the album in australia and europe. Especially after their website officially released the artwork and track names. Even more especially after amazon posts matching information. After the whole thing is consistent (I'm pretty sure) with the one leaked review (See the thread about the guy apologizing). And even if this was a haox, what's the fucking point? "HaHa, you thought that the album name was going to be 10,000 days. Congratulations, now we will collectively revisit ALL YOUR POSTS ON TDN and the people that figured it out will get FREE SHOW TICKETS. WE WILL ONLY PLAY IN FRONT OF THE ENLIGHTENED FANS." In any case, I hope that this one comes with a decoder ring. </strike>

And Maynard, if you are sitting there with Danny at the TOOL CAVE, in front of the HOAX '06 CONTROL PANEL, send a good bottle of white wine my way.

Ocelot199
03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Now make a time machine and ask the band that exact same question on April 15th of 2001. They did the same thing then, too. Made just as much sense then as it is now.

Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Now make a time machine and ask the band that exact same question on April 15th of 2001. They did the same thing then, too. Made just as much sense then as it is now.

Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

What's that? I don't recall. I just remember that I went to best buy and got myself a copy of latelarus.

Boozy Eulogist
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I just let out a rank fart.

Maybe I should make a new thread about it, you know, to share the experience.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:31 PM
I just let out a rank fart.

Maybe I should make a new thread about it, you know, to share the experience.

The question of a decoder ring is an important one. Let's not hijack this thread.

Ocelot199
03-24-2006, 11:35 PM
What's that? I don't recall. I just remember that I went to best buy and got myself a copy of latelarus.
.... what?

Lateralus wasn't out April 15th 2001. It was originally scheduled to release on the 17th, but got pushed back a month.

That was around the time that everybody thought that Lateralus was going to be called System Encephalia (or something)...

Know why we all thought that?

The band and Blair posted it on Toolband.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
.... what?

Lateralus wasn't out April 15th 2001. It was originally scheduled to release on the 17th, but got pushed back a month.

That was around the time that everybody thought that Lateralus was going to be called System Encephalia (or something)...

Know why we all thought that?

The band and Blair posted it on Toolband.

Strange, google doesn't return any matches for "System Encephalia" along with lateralus... Well, was it picked up by the media and everything?

ARMZ
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
In January 2001, the rumor mill surrounding the band gained new life when Tool announced their new album. Only one month later, they revealed that the new album was actually titled Lateralus and that the name Systema Encéphale and the tracklist had been a ruse, much to the dismay of music magazines and commercial websites who had committed headlong to the fake title.

Ocelot199
03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah. It was posted on a bunch of sites, a few magazines, and refered to on a bunch of different radio stations.

Same thing with the Jesus/Maynard April Fool's thing of last year. It got huge... everybody was talking about it... I think it even got mentioned on MTV.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
In January 2001, the rumor mill surrounding the band gained new life when Tool announced their new album. Only one month later, they revealed that the new album was actually titled Lateralus and that the name Systema Encéphale and the tracklist had been a ruse, much to the dismay of music magazines and commercial websites who had committed headlong to the fake title.

Hah, I didn't know that. Cool. Oh well. I guess that there IS a TOOL CAVE and HOAX '06 CONTROL center. Maybe I'll get my bottle of wine after all.

Ocelot199
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Honestly, wouldn't we all be pretty dissapointed if there is no hoax at all? We've all come to expect something like that from Tool every time something interesting is happening... it'd be unToolish for it not to happen.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah. It was posted on a bunch of sites, a few magazines, and refered to on a bunch of different radio stations.

Same thing with the Jesus/Maynard April Fool's thing of last year. It got huge... everybody was talking about it... I think it even got mentioned on MTV.

I recall that...it seemed pretty obvious. But the album title thing I don't get...it seems kind of pointless. In the end we're all just there waiting for the music, and most people don't care until they actually go to the store to buy it, at which case no hoax will help you.

Ocelot199
03-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Eh, its not like we have anything to do otherwise...

I work, go to school once in a while, and post on TDN or watch movies. Or both at the same time.

Look at my post count. I'm such a loser than I've managed to rack up more than 3000 posts in a year. That is really really sad.

Exact Functor
03-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Eh, its not like we have anything to do otherwise...

I work, go to school once in a while, and post on TDN or watch movies. Or both at the same time.

Look at my post count. I'm such a loser than I've managed to rack up more than 3000 posts in a year. That is really really sad.

It's good to have hobies :)
I wish that I had known about that 2001 hoax earlier and maybe not made a fool of myself. Maybe the logo is real and I can get a $45 concert shirt that says 'fool' on it.

flipmojo
03-25-2006, 12:23 AM
I can't believe you guys are still talking about this. Please, for everyone's sake including your own, go outside and do something. Get a new topic of conversation.

Ocelot199
03-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I can't believe you guys are still talking about this. Please, for everyone's sake including your own, go outside and do something. Get a new topic of conversation.
You mean that us having a conversation about whatever (which ended about 30 minutes ago, now) affects you in such a way as to warrant you sticking your nose into the conversation and begging us to stop?

Thats pretty pathetic.

/V\agina
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM

uhm... right back at you dude.