PDA

View Full Version : New artwork from live DVD?

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
I already posted this in the monstrous album art thread, but it probably got ignored under all of the awsome posts being made there (lol).

If anybody went to any show on the Lateralus tour (or have seen a bootleg... use video google to find some), the backdrop used is the exact picture Blair just posted on Toolband. While watching some shows, the lighting effects they do over the mural create the same color scheme as the one currently on Toolband.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that Tool would be lame enough to use artistic material they had already exhausted, even if it is just a page in the new album's booklet.

So my theory is that Tool has done more than they let on. I'm guessing the new DVD is coming out very very soon, if not with the new album alltogether. That picture really can't be from anything else (unless its an all out and out hoax, which is just stupid... seeing as its obviously old material that many of us have seen before).

Thoughts?

Edit: Flux, I'd appriciate it if you could move this to rumours. Danke lover.

T-13h
03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
This is an interesting idea.

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
i think (wish) Cam de Leon does their artwork for the new album

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Another point to be made: Tool has never used the same artist for more than one album. I believe Joshua Davis is suppose to be doing the new album art (more of less). This is just an Alex Grey picture. Tool just wouldn't do that... its too lame.

Ha, I'd LOVE it if Cam de Leon or Chet Zar would come back and help out with some of the album or tour art. Holy CRAP that would rule.

Grimface
03-21-2006, 01:01 PM
TOOL should release a live DVD that has bits from throughout their career...

I mean, I've stumbled upon only one mere pro shot concert taping. And even that one I haven't seen....

Tyro
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Another point to be made: Tool has never used the same artist for more than one album. I believe Joshua Davis is suppose to be doing the new album art (more of less). This is just an Alex Grey picture. Tool just wouldn't do that... its too lame.

Ha, I'd LOVE it if Cam de Leon or Chet Zar would come back and help out with some of the album or tour art. Holy CRAP that would rule.

Chet Zar fo sho.

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
The proposed DVD is one of the last 6 Lateralus shows from 2001/2002, with some extra features. If that is the case, then the current artwork on Toolband fits exactly with that.

Sasha
03-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I like this idea.

Also, going in depth with the album mini thing Blair posted under the artwork, it could be his little hint towards this idea. A DVD would just be a mini album in an essence.

Nebel
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I think you're right, I find it very hard to believe that art work is for the new album, even though it's grown on me. You make very good points.

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I like this idea.

Also, going in depth with the album mini thing Blair posted under the artwork, it could be his little hint towards this idea. A DVD would just be a mini album in an essence.
Perhaps the album mini reference is something like the new single, being packaged with the live DVD? I think album minis are those little 3 inch CDs that hold about 30 minutes of music. Sometimes bands put EPs on them.

Or maybe it'll be like Salival. Like DVD concerts that come with a bonus EP. Holy SHIT that would rule.

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 01:16 PM
cam did work for opiate, aeinma, and salival

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
He did Opiate? I didn't know that. I thought Adam did Opiate and Undertow, then they brought in Cam and Zar for Aenima. Interesting...

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
If Joshua Davis collaborated with Luke Brown's recent digital style, I think I would trepan my self with a spoon right here and now.

TheHolyGift
03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
You are on to something. ( Ocelot, not glotch)

placidium
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
someone new would be cool.. micheal parkes (http://digilander.libero.it/lotuspond/cr_MichaelParkes-009-SwanLake.jpg) would be cool..

Nebel
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dafreakindragon/AlexGreyExhibit.jpg

A better pic, I find it very hard to believe Tool/Adam would re-use someone else's art for the new album. And mid-October, he said he was working on pre-production artwork for the new Tool album, and by that time, this painting must've been near-finished, so how could he work on pre-production artwork and still use that? He also said, Alex would be involved in some way, he didn't say he'd be doing the artwork.

However, someone should message Adam on myspace and ask him about it...

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:26 PM
You are on to something. ( Ocelot, not glotch)

well I think I am on to something too!

psims23
03-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Too bad, like you said, "Tool has never used the same artist for more than one album" eh

psims23
03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dafreakindragon/AlexGreyExhibit.jpg

A better pic, I find it very hard to believe Tool/Adam would re-use someone else's art for the new album. And mid-October, he said he was working on pre-production artwork for the new Tool album, and by that time, this painting must've been near-finished, so how could he work on pre-production artwork and still use that? He also said, Alex would be involved in some way, he didn't say he'd be doing the artwork.

Lol, what else would Alex Grey be doing for the album? Back up vocals?

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM

yeah, Adam was SO "vocal" about other shit recently. I wonder if or what he will say about this?

Nebel
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM

More like, giving advice, or helping with the art direction.

sleaz1
03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Just a question of clarification, but are live DVD's usually called albums? Blair said it was album art, even if it's mini... whatever the hell that means..

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
or slipping tabs unknowingly.

psims23
03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't have a doubt it my mind that this is the new artwork. Sure it's done by Alex Grey. Sure it was on the backdrops for their tour. But the artwork is in NO WAY similar to the artwork on Lateralus, it's a completely different concept, just as the album is. Just look and look at Lateralus people, c'mon already

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't have a doubt it my mind that this is the new artwork. Sure it's done by Alex Grey. Sure it was on the backdrops for their tour. But the artwork is in NO WAY similar to the artwork on Lateralus, it's a completely different concept, just as the album is. Just look and look at Lateralus people, c'mon already
I just sent you a PM with a link to a bootleg of a 2002 Lateralus concert. Notice the mural in the background. It is the exact same picture. At parts (due to the lighting effects) it even takes on the same color scheme.

Now what?

Just a question of clarification, but are live DVD's usually called albums? Blair said it was album art, even if it's mini... whatever the hell that means..
Usually for movies, no. But I've heard music DVDs (live albums, what have you) refered to as such. I wouldn't put it past Blair and Tool to mess around with words a little bit.

TheHolyGift
03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
More like, giving advice, or helping with the art direction.

Nope, definitely backing vocals, or saxophone.

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 01:37 PM
If anybody went to any show on the Lateralus tour (or have seen a bootleg... use video google to find some), the backdrop used is the exact picture Blair just posted on Toolband. Double-check your facts.

Two Grey paintings were used as backdrops during that tour:
- Interbeing (http://alexgrey.net/a-gallery/interbeing.html)
- Collective Vision (http://www.alexgrey.com/shop/coll-vis.html)

Each of the Reflection banners were from his collection of "sacred mirrors."

This can be confirmed by reading this news entry from toolband.com:Alex Grey's two paintings currently being used as backdrops for TOOL's live shows are now available for purchase. Interbeing is available as a poster, and Collective Vision is being offered in a limited edition giclee print, hand-signed and numbered by the artist. The six figures which drop from above towards the end of the show are also available, not as posters but in the art book Sacred Mirrors. For ordering information and to view other available works by Alex Grey, go to www.alexgrey.com.
The painting from which the new artwork comes is entitled Web of Being (http://spectraleyes.com/gallery/photos/web_of_being).

Hope this helps.

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Are you sure about that? I'm watching a 2002 bootleg right now, and I'm positive its the same picture thats posted on Toolband.

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Are you sure about that? I'm watching a 2002 bootleg right now, and I'm positive its the same picture thats posted on Toolband.Send me a link.

I'll be happy to look at whatever you're looking at, but I sincerely doubt that they changed the banners at all during the tour.

solidabyss
i think it would be interesting if they had multiple artist work on the album, a collective coniousness maybe

psims23
I just sent you a PM with a link to a bootleg of a 2002 Lateralus concert. Notice the mural in the background. It is the exact same picture. At parts (due to the lighting effects) it even takes on the same color scheme.

Now what?

As you can gather from my post, I already admitted to the fact that they used this picture for their tour. However, they did not use it as artwork for the album. The two albums (going off of what BMB has given us so far) look completely different, reflecting their completely different concepts. So what if they used it on their tour, that in no way restricts them from using it as artwork for the new album. Maybe they because devoted fans of the picture and decided that it would be fitting for the new album.

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 01:47 PM
tool is going to give us something unpredictable so trying to figure out what they will do or use is pointless in my mind, and we should wait it out but if you get your kicks by thinking about it and guessing thats cool, i do sometimes

Ocelot199
03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Send me a link.

I'll be happy to look at whatever you're looking at, but I sincerely doubt that they changed the banners at all during the tour.
Actually, you're right. It is the 'interbeing' picture. There are some very undeniable similarities, though... especially with the color scheme you see.

Heres a pic: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/Ocelot199/tool.jpg

Edit: Fuck, sorry thats so small. I'll repost it when I get back from work, if no one else does.

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I just cant picture listening to a new cd that is supposed to NOT be Lateralus II, but is designed stylistically the same, then going to a new show for this album, with more of the same style backdrops (but with maybe slightly different images), and NOT feel like I just rewound 5 years ago and am experiencing the same thing.

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Actually, you're right. It is the 'interbeing' picture.Imagine that. ;)

There are some very undeniable similarities, though... especially with the color scheme you see.I saw those banners in person. I can honestly say that I have no idea how they could be mistaken for the artwork posted over at toolband.

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I just cant picture listening to a new cd that is supposed to NOT be Lateralus II, but is designed stylistically the same, then going to a new show for this album, with more of the same style backdrops (but with maybe slightly different images), and NOT feel like I just rewound 5 years ago and am experiencing the same thing.Then throw away the artwork, close your eyes, and enjoy the music.

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 01:55 PM
if yall are talking about that picture for the mini album and that back drop for the tour they ARE two totally different pictures, interbeing is more on the birth-death-afterlife side and the one for the mini album is on the collective mind (we are all one) idea

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
if yall are talking about that picture for the mini album and that back drop for the tour they ARE two totally different pictures, interbeing is more on the birth-death-afterlife side and the one for the mini album is on the collective mind (we are all one) idea

Honestly, how do you know what the new image is about if its only a snippet of the larger whole?

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
if yall are talking about that picture for the mini album and that back drop for the tour [...]Have you read the thread yet?

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Honestly, how do you know what the new image is about if its only a snippet of the larger whole?

on other threads they havea picture of the whole thing and im a huge alex g fan

Perseensilmä
03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Perhaps the album mini reference is something like the new single, being packaged with the live DVD? I think album minis are those little 3 inch CDs that hold about 30 minutes of music. Sometimes bands put EPs on them.

Or maybe it'll be like Salival. Like DVD concerts that come with a bonus EP. Holy SHIT that would rule.

So, now you guys are agreeing that there will be an EP?

solidabyss
03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Have you read the thread yet?

yes but i know how some people misunderstand others on here and sometimes this get out of hand and its totally pointless

Wretched
03-21-2006, 02:06 PM
So, now you guys are agreeing that there will be an EP?

NO, they are saying they think it could be a cover for the single, not some bullshit EP that doesn't exist.

Perseensilmä
03-21-2006, 02:09 PM
album mini, anyone? Mini album ? definitely an EP.

Chris_Brightwell
So, now you guys are agreeing that there will be an EP?The notion of an EP, at this point, is nothing other than pure speculation.

I wish I knew who started that so I could strangle them. My inbox has exploded with EP shit.

gl0tch
Uhhh.... case in point. Doesnt that beg the question. If you've experienced it somewhere else, why would Tool even think twice about reusing it for a whole new project / body of work That just seems a step back for me. Why embroider Tool's new vision around an old one of Alex Grey? Seems kinda stifled.

on other threads they havea picture of the whole thing and im a huge alex g fan

Chris_Brightwell
album mini, anyone? Mini album ? definitely an EP.Or maybe "mini" is simply meant to differentiate a smaller version of the image from its original full-size version.

T-13h
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Or maybe "mini" is simply meant to differentiate a smaller version of the image from its original full-size version.
I <3 U.

bluefire
03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Yes but on Toolband it clearly says "artwork for 10,000 days".

Havokb8
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
GODDAMMIT ITS NOT THE SAME BACKGROUND FROM THE TOUR STFU

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes but on Toolband it clearly says "artwork for 10,000 days".Which is vague enough to be useless, quite honestly.

Cover art? Disc art? Booklet art? Who knows?

Who cares?

Just listen to the music.

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
GODDAMMIT ITS NOT THE SAME BACKGROUND FROM THE TOUR STFUWe've already established that.

If you'd read the thread before posting you would've realized that.

gl0tch
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
perhaps this is just Blairs contribution to toolcollector's fake artwork gallery?

Chris_Brightwell
03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
perhaps this is just Blairs contribution to toolcollector's fake artwork gallery?That would be hysterical.

5th Eye
03-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Cam de Leon is an amazing artist.

That's all I wanted to say.

homerbartkramer
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd buy that

Naga Royal Guard
03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
did you have to say that?

Rosette feasted
03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Cam de Leon is an amazing artist.

That's all I wanted to say.
I think most of his artwork for aenima sucks. But I love the front- and the backcover very much.

eddie75
03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
but it is damn close.

Chris_Brightwell
03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
but it is damn close.No, it's not.

eddie75
03-22-2006, 08:44 AM
No, it's not.
Yes it is. It's basically the same style and pretty close to the same theme. It's not exactly the same one, but it's close enough.

reservoirdog
03-22-2006, 09:08 AM

Its not exactly the same but it is still based off the "innerbeings" piece by alex grey. I actually have a variation of that piece tattooed on my arm. It is also prominent on the back stage pass that i have from the last leg of the lateralus tours.

s ti N Kfizt
03-22-2006, 09:15 AM
..........maybe it's the cover for the new single 10 000 Days (Wings pt 2).. though that shouldn't be a single...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ocelot199
03-22-2006, 07:28 PM
No, it's not.
Care to explain why you feel that way? I think its pretty damn similar.... Same face (with some alterations), different color scheme and different things on the side of the main face. Its still almost the same face, though.

Chris_Brightwell
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Care to explain why you feel that way?"It's almost the same face, but everything else is different."

Do I really need to answer this question?

Ocelot199
03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Come on man, you know what I meant. I didn't even notice it was a different picture until you brought it up... its not like I'd think entirely different pictures were the same thing. I'm not that lame...

Opiate_Mass
03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
art for the dvd? -.-