PDA

View Full Version : WHO DO YOU THINK IT REFERS TO?

TOOLEK
03-21-2006, 01:15 AM
I have always wondered and still don't know, who the words "no loving embrace to see me through" refer to? Could You express Your opinion on it. Maybe my knowledge of English is too lowl, cause I really have a trouble with fitting it to anything, so please tell me what You think.

Sol Invictus
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
before that he says "if there werer no", saying if there werent any loving embraces or good things along this 'path' then he would just leave it alone and stop doing it. So whatever it is that is so hard to maynard has its rewards in the end.

slamminsalmon
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
i think the patient ties perfectly in with the rest of the theme of lateralus, the patient is prolly one of my favorite tool songs. those lines really get me everytime too.

personally i associate it with life. the key to having a rewarding life, is to be patient, and to keep going. also if one didnt have their loved ones to walk the path of life with, then there isnt much of a life.

TOOLEK
03-24-2006, 02:25 AM
i think the patient ties perfectly in with the rest of the theme of lateralus, the patient is prolly one of my favorite tool songs. those lines really get me everytime too.

personally i associate it with life. the key to having a rewarding life, is to be patient, and to keep going. also if one didnt have their loved ones to walk the path of life with, then there isnt much of a life.

Thank You for these words cause they confirm what I have always thought that they refer to some person. Anyway "the patient" is really an amazing song. Waiting for the new album, together with Lateralus, this is the song I listen to the most.

Jason NHB
03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
To me The Patient was my rehab song. I had been put in a very strange place in Opalousas, LA for about 4 months. I was 17 years old, scared of everything, and had formed a pretty shitty cocaine habit. The one thing I could just sit and think about was The Patient. The lyrics just hit me like a train when I sang/thought about them. Really helped me get through each day. I wrote them out by hand and taped it to my door in my room. This was a year ago and its still there today.

Cyrus
04-02-2006, 06:48 AM
I fall back to this song when trying to remind myself why I submit to the university system and modern academia. Being 28 and self educated, I often find it hard to justify to myself why i have 20k in debt. It's all about the math degree I suppose.

slamminsalmon
04-02-2006, 07:31 AM
I fall back to this song when trying to remind myself why I submit to the university system and modern academia. Being 28 and self educated, I often find it hard to justify to myself why i have 20k in debt. It's all about the math degree I suppose.

its true, it helps me get through many rough spots

ween69
05-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I have always wondered and still don't know, who the words "no loving embrace to see me through" refer to? Could You express Your opinion on it. Maybe my knowledge of English is too lowl, cause I really have a trouble with fitting it to anything, so please tell me what You think.

i'ved kind of always thought of it like this: he's saying that he's gone through so much, so many things and he's in awe by it. like, he's saying {what would i have done} if there were no loving embrace...so on and so forth. maybe counting his blessings, who knows. this song is beautiful in that it can be applied to almost anything about life

Lost
05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
In all honesty... I think this one goes out to the fans. That's a rather bold suggestion, and maybe it's him just saying if it wasn't for us he'd have probably given up by now. Here I am giving myself some credit I guess.

For me though? I listened to it for the first time today with a new perspective. I was on my way to college and a sudden swell of despair..... The hole I fall into when I begin to feel sorry for myself. The complete lack of self belief.... I gave into it like I always do because I'm weak. I'm not afraid to admit that. I came home... A defeated... Hmm I won't say man, a defeated infant. Yet again. And I heard this song.... That was my test..... And I gave in. I failed. I gave into the fear..... Yet... Upon hearing this song I feel stronger. Nothing comes without struggle. Nothing. Perhaps the vampire needs to be fed more vigourously.

innerspacegirl
05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
"rehab song" ....totally.

to me, the patient is all about maintaining faith before succombing to doubt.

it's a good mantra for when you have to do something that you don't want to do and could potentially talk yourself out of it, even though you know it is what needs to be done. like fessing up to something even if you could get away with it.... or going to the doctor. getting high. neglecting homework. whatever.

i must keep reminding myself of this, i must keep reminding myself of this, I MUST KEEP REMINDING MYSELF OF THIS!

doesn't always work...

etc43
05-14-2006, 01:09 PM
The filesize of this song when ripped to 128 kbps wma makes me wonder who this song is about, too.

tomhet
05-14-2006, 02:38 PM
it's a good mantra for when you have to do something that you don't want to do and could potentially talk yourself out of it, even though you know it is what needs to be done. like fessing up to something even if you could get away with it.... or going to the doctor. getting high. neglecting homework. whatever.

i must keep reminding myself of this, i must keep reminding myself of this, I MUST KEEP REMINDING MYSELF OF THIS!

doesn't always work...

LOL that's true. The fact that one MUST keep reminding oneself proves that sometimes the burden is too heavy and one must produce a greater effort to endure.

blackandwhite
05-14-2006, 09:23 PM
The filesize of this song when ripped to 128 kbps wma makes me wonder who this song is about, too.

what do you mean?

etc43
05-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I noticed the filesize when you rip it at the Windows Media Player standards is exactly 6.66 MB. Not sure if that was intentional, it wouldn't surprise me, but even if it's not, it made me think of the song in another context.

ignorantmaddam
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
In all honesty... I think this one goes out to the fans. That's a rather bold suggestion, and maybe it's him just saying if it wasn't for us he'd have probably given up by now. Here I am giving myself some credit I guess.

For me though? I listened to it for the first time today with a new perspective. I was on my way to college and a sudden swell of despair..... The hole I fall into when I begin to feel sorry for myself. The complete lack of self belief.... I gave into it like I always do because I'm weak. I'm not afraid to admit that. I came home... A defeated... Hmm I won't say man, a defeated infant. Yet again. And I heard this song.... That was my test..... And I gave in. I failed. I gave into the fear..... Yet... Upon hearing this song I feel stronger. Nothing comes without struggle. Nothing. Perhaps the vampire needs to be fed more vigourously.

~~~I AGREE. I THINK MJK WAS TRYING TO PROVIDE A GIFT, NOT ENTERTAINMENT ALTHOUGH, OF COURSE IT IS ENTERTAINING ANYWAY. I JUST THINK THAT HE WAS TRYING TO CONVEY TO THOSE PATIENT ENOUGH TO LISTEN THAT WE ARE NOT ALL ALONE IN FEELING THIS WAY. THAT TO ME IS SACRED. IT IS A COMFORT TO HEAR WORDS THAT SO CLOSELY RELATE TO WHATEVER THE LISTENER IS FACING, YET, HAVING NO SPECIFIC MEANING TO THE LYRICS OTHER THAN BEING PATIENT. ITS ALMOST GIVING YOU A SENSE OF THIS BEING VERY PERSONAL, BUT HE'S BEEN THERE TOO.
JUST AN OPINION OF COURSE...

Melanos
05-20-2006, 06:48 AM
To me the song is about being patient enough to find the light at the end of the tunnel. If you close your eyes long enough and truly let yourself go, the light will draw near and you will realize what he means with "tedious path ive chosen here" means. As long as you get something positive from the songs though, thats all they(tool) really wants :)

JERUSALEM
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
I think it could have alot to do with what christ was feeling. Pressured by his father to come clean up the human mess, he wonders ...oh shit have i bitten off more than i can chew here but it could be worth it in the end. "i certainly would have walked away"=''father may this cup pass from me'' or what the fuck ever.

paraflux
05-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I think it could have alot to do with what christ was feeling. Pressured by his father to come clean up the human mess, he wonders ...oh shit have i bitten off more than i can chew here but it could be worth it in the end. "i certainly would have walked away"=''father may this cup pass from me'' or what the fuck ever.

Or anyone who has a divine task to accomplish.

Pughwe
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I noticed the filesize when you rip it at the Windows Media Player standards is exactly 6.66 MB. Not sure if that was intentional, it wouldn't surprise me, but even if it's not, it made me think of the song in another context.

I really don't think Tool, or any member of Tool is satanic. I mean honestly where do all these people come up with all this stuff?....it is just a coincidence, just like vicarious is 6min 66seconds long. I mean i could be wrong....but i really don't think that songs would get so "religious" (especially on the new album) if they were satanic.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
05-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Anyone involved in spirituality will know that it's a tedious path.
The ego's drive is self-centered.
If you take up a path of spirituality,it's the art of dissolving the Ego.
And it's scary.
When you unplug yourself from your T.V, your basic Consuming,and anything that generally fills your hole, life becomes tedious.
Yet it's very healing.

Try it out.
try live in a spiritual sense moment to moment,
You'll find that people's ego's are startled by your tediousness.
why would a person be startled?
Nobody is used to the idea of " embracing this moment".
It's like there's something wrong with you if your at peace with this moment.

But i think maynard needs to remind himself that regardless of the tedioussness and the old vampire's, he NEEDS to "be here" to benefit himself and mankind.

etc43
05-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I really don't think Tool, or any member of Tool is satanic. I mean honestly where do all these people come up with all this stuff?....it is just a coincidence, just like vicarious is 6min 66seconds long. I mean i could be wrong....but i really don't think that songs would get so "religious" (especially on the new album) if they were satanic.
I don't think they are satanic. Saying that Vicarious is 6:66 long is stupid. It is 7:06, not 6:66. Sure, 6.66 MB could be a coincidence, but if any band were to do that intentionally, it would be Tool. I'm not trying to sound defensive, because like I said, I don't think Tool is satanic. Still, though, the "paranoid paralyzed vampire" from "The Patient" in the context of it's filesize reminds me of the song "Jambi": "The devil and his had me down. In love with the dark side I'd found. Dabble in all the way down. Up to my neck soon to drown." Like "Eulogy", though, I think much of Lateralus can be applied to anyone.

Hilton_K
05-31-2006, 03:55 AM
I believe it's about's his mother and the length of time she's been paralyzed and sick. He's just telling himself to be patient with her health, he's been by her bedside for a long time giving his blood(life) and praying for her. With no change at all with her situation, wanting to leave and live life but can't because he can see the reward in the end that he will reap. The final loving embrace of his mother...

Parabol(a) is MJK holding his mother in this embrace, makes sence to me at leaset :-)

thoughts comments...

DogmaTriple6
06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I do agree that this is for the fans but I think it also has a meaning of being on the road.
The words: "if there were no rewards to reap no loving embrace to see me through, this tedious path I've choosen here I certenly would of walked away by now" means to me that He loves the fact that he can satisfy us, and yet it's dull and boring to him.

natalia
06-13-2006, 02:25 AM
The word 'paralyzed' got me. i think it may make sense if he was talking about judith marie. she would have been a patient, 'keeping faith' and wishing to 'wait it out.' in this case, the 'loving embrace' to see her through would have been maynards, or that of family. its interesting the perspective the new album can put on their other work. if it is about his mother, 'judith' to 'the patient' to 'wings for marie' portrays a really interesting development in his thought - from disgust, to empathy, to respect

natalia
06-13-2006, 03:04 AM
ah dammit, hilton k has already said that it could be his mum. was your thought in light of the new album too ?

anarcho-commie
07-09-2006, 03:48 PM
to himself

Arson
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Anyone involved in spirituality will know that it's a tedious path.
The ego's drive is self-centered.
If you take up a path of spirituality,it's the art of dissolving the Ego.
And it's scary.
When you unplug yourself from your T.V, your basic Consuming,and anything that generally fills your hole, life becomes tedious.
Yet it's very healing.

Try it out.
try live in a spiritual sense moment to moment,
You'll find that people's ego's are startled by your tediousness.
why would a person be startled?
Nobody is used to the idea of " embracing this moment".
It's like there's something wrong with you if your at peace with this moment.

thank you for that, I wrote it down...

prescious lamb and martyr
07-21-2006, 07:35 PM
To me The Patient was my rehab song. I had been put in a very strange place in Opalousas, LA for about 4 months. I was 17 years old, scared of everything, and had formed a pretty shitty cocaine habit. The one thing I could just sit and think about was The Patient. The lyrics just hit me like a train when I sang/thought about them. Really helped me get through each day. I wrote them out by hand and taped it to my door in my room. This was a year ago and its still there today.

I discovered this song after rehab in recovery and it ties into recovery big time. "I must keep reminding myself of this." That I must be patient to reap the rewards of staying clean and doing the right things in life.

prescious lamb and martyr
07-21-2006, 07:38 PM
thank you for that, I wrote it down...

Nobody has explained this song better than that.

Hilton_K
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
ah dammit, hilton k has already said that it could be his mum. was your thought in light of the new album too ?

Yeah new album kind of made it all come together.

What are people thoughts on this song tieing in with Parabol(a)??

Stoint
08-17-2006, 06:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Stoint/thepatient-toolcopy.jpg

Hey guys i like doing some artwork while listening to Tool and i am always inspired, just did this while listening to The Patient.

conawayb
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
This is probably one of my favorite Tool songs. I like most of the songs off of Lateralus because they apply so openly to life. Everytime I'm having trouble on the journey known as life I take a deep breath and think to myself.

"If there were no rewards to reap on this tedious path I've chosen here,"
"I certainly would have walked away by now,"

Be patient

ktdude
09-04-2006, 05:45 AM
It's one of my favourite songs too. Beautiful, and the lyrics mean a lot to me. It will always be a song close to my heart. What Mypugs said made me think about the song's connections with Reflection too which is my other favourite song... they both touch me in the same way which is interesting considering the 'ego' connections that Mypugs points out... off to think on it a little...

philipg
09-07-2006, 09:53 AM
i remember in an a perfect circle interview, a fan asked maynard what his advice to a suicidal teen would be, and maynard responded, and i paraphrase- don't do it because there's too much to live for.
i think the loving embrace just stands for the rewards of life, all that you can accomplish or aspire to.

elephant man
09-14-2006, 11:31 PM
And what about the hidden track on opiate, it begins (on most cd players) at 6 min. 6 sec. while it's track 6..that would make 666 when the song starts..hehehe

Shinji
07-21-2007, 01:04 AM
And what about the hidden track on opiate, it begins (on most cd players) at 6 min. 6 sec. while it's track 6..that would make 666 when the song starts.
But it wasn't something serious.