PDA

View Full Version : what if it leaks?

RosettaStoned
03-20-2006, 09:29 AM
yes, 'it', the new album.

Would you download it, before it's officialy released?

Example: Leaks April 25th, your 'not-so-tool-fan' friends will be listening to it and will tell you everything about it.. BUT..
you, a 'real-tool-fan', will wait till the official release. You don't want to hear anything, shame on those downloaders/leechers! So you'll be waiting, toolnavy.com could drive you insane because 'the-downloaders' are giving their opinions, but you, you are a real fan, you respect the band and.. you wait it out.

Difficult choise?
Will you download as soon as it leaks because 'OH MY I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER'..
or, as said, wait it out.

for me,
HARD choise.

Cheers,
the Dutchman

MoreTool
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
i'll download it for sure cauz i can't wait, but i'll buy it anyway so...

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
i'm going to stay away from the radio (like i don't already) and any topics describing new Tool.

I want to listen all the way through, uninterrupted and without ever hearing anything of it before.

RosettaStoned
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
100% honesty would be; the real album first, after that, a (((downloaded))) copy (for yourself)

And second, how much do you respect the band.

Windir
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I'll wait.

champion
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't come into contact with many people, so I would have no trouble avoiding temptation. There is no chance I would download a leak.

Wretched
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I'll buy it, listen to it, then rip it to my computer so I can listen to it. I WILL listen to the single. Listen to it alot too.

I_kNOw_THE_I
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Nobody here ever peaked at what their parent's got them for christmas/chanukah/kwanza/breakfast, did they?

riiiiight.

Paradigm619
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Nobody here ever peaked at what their parent's got them for christmas/chanukah/kwanza/breakfast, did they?

riiiiight.

BACON

RosettaStoned
03-20-2006, 09:40 AM

riiiiight.

We're grown, I hope.

still, your own fuckin choise here : )

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
BACON
no, it's beggin strips brand.

I_kNOw_THE_I
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
We're grown, I hope.

still, your own fuckin choise here : )

Why the fuck would I want to be mature about something?

Paradigm619
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
no, it's beggin strips brand.

just as good.

MoreTool
03-20-2006, 09:46 AM
so far i downloaded some leaks on P2P
Rosetta stoned : weird acoustic song, fake
10 000 days : same thing
Viginti tres : a 9.50 minutes long boring song

khemystri
03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
If someone had it, and assured me it was real, and the quality was good.....
Id listen to it.... But, May 2nd i'd buy a dozen copies for friends and family
out of guilt.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Ill download the single, Listen to it non stop then listen to the album when it comes out.

tentonmantra
03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
download it for sure and buy the thing when i have my finances in order

Wretched
03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
OMFG WHAT IF IT DOES LEAK1???!!!1111

Nebel
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Gonna definitely download but only listen to it once or twice, that's all so I can savour it and actually look forward to receiving the album on May 1st, of which I'll listen to it constantly.

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Listning to a leak probably won't diminish the greatness of the first time you listen to the complete album.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
The thing about it is though. Why download it if It does leak. Just do the single so when the album coems out you can be. "wow....this song is better than the single" and listen to that non stop. Then go to anotehr song and possinbly get the same feeling.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
100% honesty would be; the real album first, after that, a (((downloaded))) copy (for yourself)

What good it would do to buy the album and then download it?

I'm going to dl anything and everything I can as soon as I can. Fuck waiting.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
*le gasp* I cannot believe you. Oh well :P

chalimar
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I'll wait. It's just worth it.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I'll wait. It's just worth it.

You say this as if there's some huge benefit to waiting. What the fuck are you talking about?

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Loyal fans wait....Ive waited to long to ruin the whole feeling of owning the album by just downloading it and wasting 5 years of hard work.

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
If you don't want to know about the new album get the fuck off of TDN. The release date is different world wide. If you're on TDN the people who get the album first will talk about it and you won't be able to avoid it. Sorry, losers.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Loyal fans wait....Ive waited to long to ruin the whole feeling of owning the album by just downloading it and wasting 5 years of hard work.

What does this mean? Loyal fans wait? Shut the fuck up. The feeling doesn't come from the jewel case or the booklet. It comes from the music, which I will access as soon as it becomes available to me. I hate all you fucking elitist anti-piracy bastards. If you don't want to download the album, fine, but don't act like it somehow makes you a better person or a better fan.

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Tell that to Tool.

paraology
to prevent leaks when its time to ship the cds to music stores across the world? In my opinion, it would be quite difficult to get every employee in every music store across the globe to sign confidentiality agreements.

toolloot
What does this mean? Loyal fans wait? Shut the fuck up. The feeling doesn't come from the jewel case or the booklet. It comes from the music, which I will access as soon as it becomes available to me. I hate all you fucking elitist anti-piracy bastards. If you don't want to download the album, fine, but don't act like it somehow makes you a better person or a better fan.

<3

chalimar
You say this as if there's some huge benefit to waiting. What the fuck are you talking about?

These two sentences tell me that you just wouldn't understand. Before you say "Try me." I'll say: no.

Don't be offended, I don't want to say that you're stupid, you're just a person that thinks in a more, let's say... pragmatic way about stuff like that.

Tool's new album is, for me, just worth the wait. No benefits.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Talking and Hearing are two completely different things. So what if you talk about the album. You will hear it and talk with the people.

MrMcPheezy
Tell that to Tool.

I would if I could.

Staticfactory

The purist approach. I'm thinking I'll need a rabbi to bless my copy of the album before I can listen to it.

Or maybe David Hasselhoff.

tentonmantra

bwahahahha

comedy central, keep an eye on this guy.

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I would if I could.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=828430#post828430

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
they can't do anything.

pirates4life.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
These two sentences tell me that you just wouldn't understand. Before you say "Try me." I'll say: no.

Don't be offended, I don't want to say that you're stupid, you're just a person that thinks in a more, let's say... pragmatic way about stuff like that.

Tool's new album is, for me, just worth the wait. No benefits.

You say the word pragmatic like it's an insult.

I understand the phrase "worth the wait", I just don't see how it's applicable in this situation. I've waited as long as you have for the album. You waiting another month than me adds nothing to the experience of listening. It's just unnecessary wait-time that you're choosing to subject yourself to. Why?

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 10:28 AM

I understand the phrase "worth the wait", I just don't see how it's applicable in this situation. I've waited as long as you have for the album. You waiting another month than me adds nothing to the experience of listening. It's just unnecessary wait-time that you're choosing to subject yourself to. Why?

For some, the thrill is in the waiting. Somebody already mentioned peeking at your christmas gifts.

MentalMidget
03-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Tool is presenting us with something more than just some music.. I and many other people who really respect tool want to have our own experience with the album. I'm not going to download it because Tool is a fantastic band who deserves some money slung their way for the effort. You are really fucking stupid. Die.

tentonmantra
03-20-2006, 10:29 AM

i agree with you on that.

if you like the band and the album you will eventually buy it.
it doen´s t make me a worse or a me-not-worthy fan because i download a leak.
i even bou8ght OPiate which I don´t like very much to support the band.
anxiety has nothing to do with appreciation or respect.

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:30 AM
We've waited long enough.

Staticfactory
Tool is presenting us with something more than just some music.. I and many other people who really respect tool want to have our own experience with the album. I'm not going to download it because Tool is a fantastic band who deserves some money slung their way for the effort. You are really fucking stupid. Die.

I don't believe he said anything about not buying the album. He said he would download it first and buy it when it comes out. Read before you post.

chalimar

Like I said: You wouldn't understand. And I did NOT want to insult you in any way.

Tool are releasing the album on April 28 (heh) and I'll buy it on that day. I'll open the case, put it into my CD player and listen to it.

Downloading the thing and listening to it just doesn't feel right for me (I repeat: FOR ME <- got that bit?).

/edit: This does NOT mean that I disapprove of other people downloading it as it gets available. It does NOT mean that I think I'm a more loyal fan or whatsoever. It's just my way.

MrMcPheezy

I'm stupid? You're the one that doesn't think it's possible to both dl and buy an album. stfu.

varg
If it leaks, we're gonna need a bigger boat.

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Agreed.

It's so much more than just music... it's life in its purest form. Creation.

I've never been privy to waiting for a Tool album... I became a fan after Lateralus...

This is going to mark an important time in my life.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
For some, the thrill is in the waiting. Somebody already mentioned peeking at your christmas gifts.

Then hey, why not wait until next september to listen to it?

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 10:32 AM
If it leaks, we're gonna need a bigger boat.

and about a 4000% increase in bandwidth for ToolNavy.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Then hey, why not wait until next september to listen to it?

Christmas, in this case, is May 2nd... not September.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Like I said: You wouldn't understand. And I did NOT want to insult you in any way.

Tool are releasing the album on April 28 (heh) and I'll buy it on that day. I'll open the case, put it into my CD player and listen to it.

Downloading the thing and listening to it just doesn't feel right for me (I repeat: FOR ME <- got that bit?).

/edit: This does NOT mean that I disapprove of other people downloading it as it gets available. It does NOT mean that I think I'm a more loyal fan or whatsoever. It's just my way.

This post is interesting. It repeats the fact that you think I'm incapable of understanding you, and then, it explains your point in a way that I understand.

Interesting.

Anyway, prior to this post, it seemed as though you thought there was some reasoning behind your course of action. That I see it's merely what you feel you should do, there's no problem. Do whatever you like.

varg
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Agreed.

It's so much more than just music... it's life in its purest form. Creation.

I've never been privy to waiting for a Tool album... I became a fan after Lateralus...

This is going to mark an important time in my life.

No no, dude I was just quoting "Jaws".

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Christmas, in this case, is May 2nd... not September.

Need I remind you:

the thrill is in the waiting

If you enjoy waiting, why not wait forever to listen to it?

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
He got pwned pretty bad! LAWL

chalimar
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
This post is interesting. It repeats the fact that you think I'm incapable of understanding you, and then, it explains your point in a way that I understand.

Interesting.

Anyway, prior to this post, it seemed as though you thought there was some reasoning behind your course of action. That I see it's merely what you feel you should do, there's no problem. Do whatever you like.

Fine. :)

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Need I remind you:

If you enjoy waiting, why not wait forever to listen to it?

Waiting indefinitely seems a little strange to me. How about you? Christmas is a day that you look forward to, not unlike the release date for this album. The waiting that leads to these wonderful days is where the trill is born. If you don't care about christmas, chances are it'll just be another day.

The process of "looking forward" is a lot more complex than you give it credit for.

Edit: Nice attempt at toying with the logistics of my statement, by the way.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Im not against downloading music, At all I do it as well. I just wont download the whole album. Say a few songs to soak my feet.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Waiting indefinitely seems a little strange to me. How about you? Christmas is a day that you look forward to, not unlike the release date for this album. The waiting that leads to these wonderful days is where the trill is born. If you don't care about christmas, chances are it'll just be another day.

The process of "looking forward" is a lot more complex than you give it credit for.

Christmas is a day I look forward to, much like the day this album leaks. If you think you'll enjoy an extra month of waiting, then by all means, wait. For me, I've been waiting for years, and I'm tired of doing so. As soon as I can put an end to this waiting, I'm going to.

It sounds to me like you haven't been waiting very long.

Edit: Nice attempt at toying with the logistics of my statement, by the way.

Thanks.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Christmas is a day I look forward to, much like the day this album leaks. If you think you'll enjoy an extra month of waiting, then by all means, wait. For me, I've been waiting for years, and I'm tired of doing so. As soon as I can put an end to this waiting, I'm going to.

It sounds to me like you haven't been waiting very long.

No, I've only been waiting the 5-or-so years since Lateralus, and waited the 5-or-so years before Lateralus. The same way you anxiously await the leak, I anxiously await the release. I didn't download Lateralus either, funny enough. If I had a chance to have Christmas on November 25th, I would decline... it's not Christmas unless it's December 25th.

Purists, Rabbis, Hasselhoffs and maybe a sprinkling of Andy Dick.

I would feel like I've ruined the experience by downloading a leak before it was released. Mind you, there is only 1 band on earth that I will wait for an official release from.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:52 AM
No, I've only been waiting the 5-or-so years since Lateralus, and waited the 5-or-so years before Lateralus. The same way you anxiously await the leak, I anxiously await the release. I didn't download Lateralus either, funny enough. If I had a chance to have Christmas on November 25th, I would decline... it's not Christmas unless it's December 25th.

I would feel like I've ruined the experience by downloading a leak before it was released. Mind you, there is only 1 band on earth that I will wait for an official release from.

*applaud*

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:52 AM

What? So, you don't even believe the points you've been making this whole time?

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-20-2006, 10:54 AM
I see nothing wrong with downloading it, if you hold are honest and then buy it. Really having some internet copy of a TOOL album is pretty half ass anyway, because you don't get the artwork. Well, of course the music stands on its own, but I mean if yoiu are gonna download it - then go buy the thing to pay homage to the band we love so much, and brings us so much pleasure. Something to be said for having a conscience. I will say however, that I plan to buy at least 3 copies, after I download the leak (if it does leak). I am a patient man, but there are a few things in life that I have trouble waiting for, and new TOOL music is one of them. Well I always justify and rationalize it, as I could die tomorrow and wouldn't have gotten a chance to hear it - so well I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway... lol where I was going with this, I have no idea. Really can't wait for it though... really.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Also, Christmas isn't exactly a fair comparison. Christmas occurs every year on the same day. That day is the celebration of an event, and the day on which we celebrat has been determined by chronology and tradition and important people that talk to god and stuff. The release date of this album is irrelevant: listen to it when you can. The same (celebrate it when you can) cannot be said for Christmas, as it could be celebrated everyday. Setting one day a year aside for Christmas makes sense. Waiting to listen to the album does not.

chalimar
03-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Oh please, now you're being ridiculous. Not every band means the same thing to a person.

I dowload stuff too, I just choose to not download Tool's new album because it would ruin the experience for me.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh please, now you're being ridiculous. Not every band means the same thing to a person.

I dowload stuff too, I just choose to not download Tool's new album because it would ruin the experience for me.

Right, and as you said, you won't download simply because you don't feel a desire to. A little different than what he's been saying.

Ænigma
Thats exactly how I feel, I mean I downloaded the whole entire leak of the new In Flames album Come Clarity before it came out because honestly there not one of my top favorite bands but I enjoy there music. But I plan on buying the album maybe three months down the road if I ever feel like getting a cd after 10,000 Days.

But anyways im neutral. I will download maybe three songs to get my feet wet. Then buy the album and listen to it as a whole.

kyyuulle
Im not against downloading music, At all I do it as well. I just wont download the whole album. Say a few songs to soak my feet.
...nice avatar.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks made it like two minutes ago an hour ago :P

Wretched
Here is my point of view; for whatever the fuck it's worth.

I, for whatever goddamn reason, will not download leaks from an album, if it is from a band I hold in high regards and consider one of my favourite bands. Why? I don't know, I just don't want to. I enjoy the build up and the pressures of not collapsing.

However, I will gladly download the new RHCP album when it comes out, why? Because they aren't worth my money.

In the same sense. I don't give two shits and basketball of jizz if someone downloads the album. I hope they'd go out and buy it, but, I'm not the one who is losing money, so I really don't care.

idontmind462
be patient... 3010023010

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Here is my point of view; for whatever the fuck it's worth.

I, for whatever goddamn reason, will not download leaks from an album, if it is from a band I hold in high regards and consider one of my favourite bands. Why? I don't know, I just don't want to. I enjoy the build up and the pressures of not collapsing.

However, I will gladly download the new RHCP album when it comes out, why? Because they aren't worth my money.

Good point lol

neurosis79
03-20-2006, 11:02 AM

No you are really fucking stupid... Tool are millionaires you idiot and composing music was from the beginning an art form that didnt include money and that is what it should be all about even to this day. Stop talking like a fucking commercialized moron and respect music AND tool as art. And for the love of god FREE MUSIC FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

HolyReality
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm definitely buying it but....shit, it's been long enough...I'd kill for a leaked finished version....and it wouldn't change my enjoyment of the album one bit.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Only in regards to Christmas and Tool. Apart from that I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate.

I_kNOw_THE_I
03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I love how it would somehow magically ruin the tool experience, but not the experience of some random other band. Tool is an awesome band who makes awesome music, but they're just dudes. Get over these ridiculous preconceptions of what you think about TOOL and their music. You don't know them, you don't know their processes, and you don't "know" their music; none of us do. We're just an audience, we can experience their music, their performances, and whatever else they can throw at us; but without being them we can't know what its all about.

I see no conflict with downloading the album first, and then buying the album when it is officially released. would you refuse to buy the album if they decided to release it earlier than May 2nd because it wouldn't be the date they initially wanted you to hear the music?

This is all just a cop out so the fans who will do whatever the band tells them to can feel self-righteous. "OMG MAYNARD SEZ I SHOULDNT DOWNLOAD TOOL ALBUMS!! HE IZ GOD LOL!" But I guess you guys are forgetting basically everything else TOOL has been suggesting for the last 14 years. You remember all the "think for yourself" shit that maynard and his fanboys have/still do repeated constantly? Yeah, well, if you refuse to download the album on some bullshit premise like TOOL being opposed to it, even though you do it with other bands, then you're in contradiction with yourself and some arbitrary catchphrase that a dude who makes a dick out of himself on a stage for a living. you're a hypocrite, and an idiot.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Also, Christmas isn't exactly a fair comparison. Christmas occurs every year on the same day. That day is the celebration of an event, and the day on which we celebrat has been determined by chronology and tradition and important people that talk to god and stuff. The release date of this album is irrelevant: listen to it when you can. The same (celebrate it when you can) cannot be said for Christmas, as it could be celebrated everyday. Setting one day a year aside for Christmas makes sense. Waiting to listen to the album does not.

You're really going off on a tangent. I was only making a simple comparison.

I'm looking forward to this new Tool release moreso than I am Christmas. Maybe it's because I get Christmas every year, or maybe it's because Tool pwns Christmas. Regardless, there's no need to dissect the comparison.

drumtool
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
i will download and enjoy listening to it! i will also buy the c.d. when it comes out, but you are a fucking moron if you wait,ive been a fan of tool since sober came out and guess what if my friend didnt BURN it for me i would have never heard it when i did(gee lucky i waited for the real copy) since i was given that ILLEGAL cd i have purchased, everything tool i can get my hands on DOWNLOADED and BURNT cds have made tool a lot of money(you wont buy it if youve never heard it)you are all a bunch of liars, if i find out that my fav band has new music to listen to and i can get it ,then by whatever the fuck you believe in, you will listen, to say you wouldnt makes me seriously doubt YOUR ability to be HONEST,therefore anything you say is tainted.................

Psychedelica
03-20-2006, 11:15 AM
I love how it would somehow magically ruin the tool experience, but not the experience of some random other band. Tool is an awesome band who makes awesome music, but they're just dudes. Get over these ridiculous preconceptions of what you think about TOOL and their music. You don't know them, you don't know their processes, and you don't "know" their music; none of us do. We're just an audience, we can experience their music, their performances, and whatever else they can throw at us; but without being them we can't know what its all about.

I see no conflict with downloading the album first, and then buying the album when it is officially released. would you refuse to buy the album if they decided to release it earlier than May 2nd because it wouldn't be the date they initially wanted you to hear the music?

This is all just a cop out so the fans who will do whatever the band tells them to can feel self-righteous. "OMG MAYNARD SEZ I SHOULDNT DOWNLOAD TOOL ALBUMS!! HE IZ GOD LOL!" But I guess you guys are forgetting basically everything else TOOL has been suggesting for the last 14 years. You remember all the "think for yourself" shit that maynard and his fanboys have/still do repeated constantly? Yeah, well, if you refuse to download the album on some bullshit premise like TOOL being opposed to it, even though you do it with other bands, then you're in contradiction with yourself and some arbitrary catchphrase that a dude who makes a dick out of himself on a stage for a living. you're a hypocrite, and an idiot.
It's not about Tool worship. It'a about respect.

chalimar
03-20-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks for judging me and knowing me so well.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but you're already putting words into mouths. I'm a musician and an artists in my own right. I happen to thoroughly enjoy Tool's music - more than any other band on earth. There is no Tool=God complex, there is no need to identify with the band or their process.

No, it was still be the "official release date". I would have no problem with them releasing it tomorrow.

This is all just a cop out so the fans who will do whatever the band tells them to can feel self-righteous. "OMG MAYNARD SEZ I SHOULDNT DOWNLOAD TOOL ALBUMS!! HE IZ GOD LOL!"

Quite the assumption, you sure do seem to know a lot about "the fans".

But I guess you guys are forgetting basically everything else TOOL has been suggesting for the last 14 years. You remember all the "think for yourself" shit that maynard and his fanboys have/still do repeated constantly?

Yes, and anyone with a brain will realize the paradox in that statement.

Yeah, well, if you refuse to download the album on some bullshit premise like TOOL being opposed to it, even though you do it with other bands, then you're in contradiction with yourself and some arbitrary catchphrase that a dude who makes a dick out of himself on a stage for a living. you're a hypocrite, and an idiot.

I enjoy that you took your assumption and attempted to found an opinion on it. It was a complete failure. Also, the fact that you called people idiots on top of that just solidifies the uselessness of your thoughts.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:27 AM
i will download and enjoy listening to it! i will also buy the c.d. when it comes out, but you are a fucking moron if you wait,ive been a fan of tool since sober came out and guess what if my friend didnt BURN it for me i would have never heard it when i did(gee lucky i waited for the real copy) since i was given that ILLEGAL cd i have purchased, everything tool i can get my hands on DOWNLOADED and BURNT cds have made tool a lot of money(you wont buy it if youve never heard it)you are all a bunch of liars, if i find out that my fav band has new music to listen to and i can get it ,then by whatever the fuck you believe in, you will listen, to say you wouldnt makes me seriously doubt YOUR ability to be HONEST,therefore anything you say is tainted.................

Best post ever!

kyyuulle
03-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks made it like two minutes ago an hour ago :P
no you didn't

orange.juice
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
i'm lucky that i live in the countryside with a damn slow internet connection.

But seriously guys, each and everyone who downloads the leak, will also be available for other people as a source, which sucks imo. i guess less than 5% of the people who downlöad it are going to buy the cd.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 11:36 AM
You're really going off on a tangent. I was only making a simple comparison.

I'm looking forward to this new Tool release moreso than I am Christmas. Maybe it's because I get Christmas every year, or maybe it's because Tool pwns Christmas. Regardless, there's no need to dissect the comparison.

I understand, I was just pointing out that the comparison doesn't really hold water.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I understand, I was just pointing out that the comparison doesn't really hold water.

In regards to waiting with anticipation, it makes perfect sense.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 11:41 AM
In regards to waiting with anticipation, it makes perfect sense.

But when made in an attempt to explain why people should wait, it does not. If that was not your point, then forgive me, it appeared as though it was.

Exoskeletal
03-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Hmmm... this is a very problematic question. I will download it anyway before I buy it, wether it is in its release day or not, because I want to have sure that I am spending well my god damn money on them, and believe me I am expecting an awsome quality work. The thing is I will wait for the final release rip in full quality. Shitty quality leaks sucks, If you can't enjoy it in full quality, It's simply not worth it.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
The thing is I will wait for the final release rip in full quality. Shitty quality leaks sucks, If you can't enjoy it in full quality, It's simply not worth it.

Quoted for agreement.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 11:49 AM
no you didn't
Yeah I took the fake album cover...and did a 100x100 avatar...yeah I did

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
i just download the single when it comes out ......and have it settle my tool addiction.........well at least for a while

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
i just download the single when it comes out ......and have it settle my tool addiction.........well at least for a while
Exactly what im doing.

I_kNOw_THE_I
03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure where you're going with this, but you're already putting words into mouths. I'm a musician and an artists in my own right. I happen to thoroughly enjoy Tool's music - more than any other band on earth. There is no Tool=God complex, there is no need to identify with the band or their process.

No, it was still be the "official release date". I would have no problem with them releasing it tomorrow.

Quite the assumption, you sure do seem to know a lot about "the fans".

Yes, and anyone with a brain will realize the paradox in that statement.

I enjoy that you took your assumption and attempted to found an opinion on it. It was a complete failure. Also, the fact that you called people idiots on top of that just solidifies the uselessness of your thoughts.

who isn't an artist in the 21st century.

(i'm rolling my eyes right now)

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
But when made in an attempt to explain why people should wait, it does not. If that was not your point, then forgive me, it appeared as though it was.

No, it's the thrill that comes from waiting that was my point.

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
No, it's the thrill that comes from waiting that was my point.

So when does the thrill of waiting run out? If the official release date weren't for another three years, but the album had already leaked in good quality...would you still wait?

chalimar
03-20-2006, 12:03 PM
So when does the thrill of waiting run out? If the official release date weren't for another three years, but the album had already leaked in good quality...would you still wait?

Could you please tell me what your point is? Are you still trying to understand something or are you just having fun asking all these questions?

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Could you please tell me what your point is? Are you still trying to understand something or are you just having fun asking all these questions?

A little bit of both.

chalimar
03-20-2006, 12:09 PM
A little bit of both.

Okay. Well, I guess there is nothing to understand, really. At least not for me, there is. Everyone handles it in his own way - the way he/she thinks is right or likes best or whatever.

Why does he/she think it's the right way? Because it just is? Guess so.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 12:10 PM

How's that for an extremely unrealistic and completely hypothetical situation? +1

If it did come down to such a... curious... little situation, I would likely continue to wait. I've already been waiting 5-or-so years, what's another 3? Maybe I'd get an idea of what Blair was talking about when he said to 'save' a few tracks for a while?

MrMcPheezy
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
How's that for an extremely unrealistic and completely hypothetical situation? +1

I never said there was anything wrong with hypothetical examples, just with examples that don't apply to the conversation at hand (which I now see yours did, but at the time it didn't look like it did).

If it did come down to such a... curious... little situation, I would likely continue to wait. I've already been waiting 5-or-so years, what's another 3? Maybe I'd get an idea of what Blair was talking about when he said to 'save' a few tracks for a while?

Ok.

hanger25934
03-20-2006, 12:16 PM
i will download a leak if it's complete. i'm sick and tired of waiting for this album that could have probably been out months ago. A perfect circle can suck it.

dracomordag
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I will certainly download the single

probably not much else

TurdEye13
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
as I read these posts I am just now beginning to visualize how crazy this place is gonna be when we actually hear the 1st single.

TenSpeed
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I will certainly download the single

probably not much else
Same.

The two main reasons I will wait for the final release then buy it are quality and respect. I've been becoming a bit of an audiophile as of late, and a shitty quality leak would ruin the good quality hearing.
Tool are one of the few bands I respect enough to go out and buy all the CDs as opposed to downloading them (I waited for Coheed and Cambria's Good Apollo... but I downloaded the leak of SOAD's Hypnotize, for example).

Leroy Brown
03-20-2006, 12:37 PM
If you really want to make it harder for the people who download leaks you can start putting a million fake files out there so that if it does leak, it'll be too much of a pain in the ass to find a real copy. This happened last time as I recall. This time I think we should help TOOL in this matter. Opinions?

Yesterday a friend of mine downloaded some track and told me it was new TOOL. I was pissed, turned out not to be but it made me think. I don't wanna hear the single or any leaks for this new album whatsoever. We have waited to long to prematurely ejaculate all over some leaked mp3 or a radio single for that matter.

My 2 cents..

Scrotophagus
03-20-2006, 12:47 PM
I will try to hold out this time. I downloaded Lateralus about 5 days early, then bought 2 copies on release day. The cashier thought it was odd: "2 Tools?".

I want to make this time "like the good old days", meaning showing up at a midnight release at the record store, or at opening time on May 2nd. Then playing the CD, hearing the album for the first time, smelling the freshly-printed album art.

I will most definitely listen to the single first though.

Plus, I like to masturbate.

dracomordag
03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
If you really want to make it harder for the people who download leaks you can start putting a million fake files out there so that if it does leak, it'll be too much of a pain in the ass to find a real copy. This happened last time as I recall. This time I think we should help TOOL in this matter. Opinions?

Yesterday a friend of mine downloaded some track and told me it was new TOOL. I was pissed, turned out not to be but it made me think. I don't wanna hear the single or any leaks for this new album whatsoever. We have waited to long to prematurely ejaculate all over some leaked mp3 or a radio single for that matter.

My 2 cents..

This happens with quite a few releases, not on purpose but because some people get a kick out of getting tons of people to download fake tracks.

When Octavarium was due to come out, it leaked about 3 or 4 days before hand, and the singles about a week before that. Downloading the leaked singles made me anticipate the album a lot more, yet convinced me not to download the whole leaked album because (as we later found out), some of the tracks were slightly altered, and the low audio quality made baby jesus cry.

Xanatos
03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I am still debating whether or not I will listen to the single before I purchase the album. If I were to decide right now I would probably say no, but things change.

I will def. not be downloading any leaked copies of the CD though. When I purchase the CD on May 2nd I will probably listen to a few tracks then turn the CD off. That night I will listen to the same tracks again. The day after that I will listen to the next few tracks, etc. until by the end of the week I should have listened to all of them.

I will also probably stop comming to the boards once the leaks start appearing so that I don't get anyone elses opinion of the album before I hear it for myself. If I decide that I don't want to hear the single either, I will probably stop coming to these boards after the single is released (or steer clear of every thread pertaining to the single).

burningsky
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
release dates are a sham anyway. It's just an industry determined thing. If it's the real album that is leaked before hand, I don't see a problem with listening to it. I'm definitely going to buy it, but there isn't that long to wait for the real thing at this point. The only thing that comes to mind against downloading it is that the lateralus mp3's are missing certain audio coding that the CD version has. It's a different experience.

steve99_9
03-20-2006, 01:38 PM
but lets not get ahead of ourselves, the real question i think is IF it leaks. even if it does leak it maybe will be a day before it hits stores

you guys can speculate if you're going to download it or not download it, but make your decision at that time. because i bet that some people who are saying they won't download it today, when they hear the cd has officially hit the net, will jump at the chance to get it...because i know i will

Nebel
03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I predicted the release date right, now I predict the date it leaks for real, April 25th.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
but lets not get ahead of ourselves, the real question i think is IF it leaks. even if it does leak it maybe will be a day before it hits stores

you guys can speculate if you're going to download it or not download it, but make your decision at that time. because i bet that some people who are saying they won't download it today, when they hear the cd has officially hit the net, will jump at the chance to get it...because i know i will

I don't think there's really much the band can do to avoid it leaking. CDs need to be pressed... people are involved in the pressing process. Of the many people involved, one will likely slip a disc into their pocket and rip/seed it as soon as they get home.

As for knowing the leak exists, yes, it will be very difficult to not go and download it. We've been anticipating this release for so long that it'll be hard to keep our hands out of the cookie jar. Personally, I won't be able to avoid hearing the single as I listen to a new rock radio station at work, but I can keep myself busy enough with other things to avoid downloading the leak... making the album just a little bit sweeter!

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm not gonna download the leak, because I wanna have the CD physically in my hands when I hear it the first time, I want to look at the album art and read the liner notes while I am listening to it. I feel that the leak wont do the album the justice that it deserves.

Dross
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Believing that waiting for an album on cd will make it any better is a big myth.

At least half of you that say you are gonna wait will cheat anyway. The fact is you are only cheating on your own bullshit myth, nothing more.

I mean what if it only came out on the Internet? Would you wait until the release date to download it?

RedVilliam
03-20-2006, 01:53 PM
truth!!

burningsky
03-20-2006, 01:59 PM

You call just living your life for five years hard work?

idontmind462
I do.

TurdEye13
it probably won't leak anyway

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
knowing my luck...i would download the album a week before release, then id be rocking it on my MP3 player passin all the fine ladies sayin "this new tool album is the shiznit" then when it comes out, there will be completely different songs, then ill get all depressed and crawl into a hole and wait for the next new one......knowing my luck of course

steve99_9
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
knowing my luck...i would download the album a week before release, then id be rocking it on my MP3 player passin all the fine ladies sayin "this new tool album is the shiznit" then when it comes out, there will be completely different songs, then ill get all depressed and crawl into a hole and wait for the next new one......knowing my luck of course
well if you use the leaked Tool songs to pick up chicks you deserve it

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
yea well they would prolly flip me off and tell me to get a life (while there listing to the lasted Rap crap hitting the airwaves this week}

GregoryWohlwend
03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
"What if it leaks?"then we use this. (http://www.panthereast.com/images/duct%20tape.jpg)

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Stephen colbert is one funny motherfucker

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
duct tape owns.

Staticfactory
03-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Believing that waiting for an album on cd will make it any better is a big myth.

At least half of you that say you are gonna wait will cheat anyway. The fact is you are only cheating on your own bullshit myth, nothing more.

I mean what if it only came out on the Internet? Would you wait until the release date to download it?

Good question about the internet release. If it wasn't for the non-musical components of a release it probably wouldn't matter. It would certainly kill my buzz if it were an internet release only.

There is, however, a big difference between downloading leaked tracks and buying the actual album (apart from quality, artwork, linear notes, etc.)

There is really no ritual to downloading. You find a seed, you click on it and you wait until you have the nice little zip file on your desktop. If you have a relatively fast connection, you get maybe 5-10 minutes of thrill while it downloads and that's about it (besides actually listening).

When it comes to purchasing an album (not yet having heard any leaks) you are in a different gear. You wake up knowing that "today is the day" and it gets you pumped up (especially considering it's been 5 years.)

You actually have to get dressed and go for a bit of a voyage to get to the store (unless you're buying it online). Once you get there you seek it out on the shelves, excitement mounting. At last, it's in your hands and you stare at it for a minute, turning it over and over a few times to take in the cover artwork.

You slap down your dirty dollars on the counter and walk away with the object of your longing. For myself, it's ritual to slide that disc into the CD player in the car, turn it up and go for a nice long drive. For others, they have it in a bag next to them as they make their way home, excitement increasing.

The moment when you finally get to put that shiney little fucker in the disc tray and turn it up, after the years of waiting, is what it's all about... the payload.

Then, after you're done listening to it over and over again.... you get to start your next 5 year wait! Hooray!!

Loveboat Captain
03-20-2006, 02:11 PM
If it leaks i dont think i'll listen. Not cause of some brainwashing by Tool or anything. Just cause I like a good surprise. I always regret peaking at my xmas presents in November! Plus with Tool, the albums art matter a good bit as well. And I want that. But judging by the JJJ thing, it won't leak anyway.

MoreTool
03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Is lipan conjuring a interlude? cauz I found a good smooth song on the p2p

Loveboat Captain
03-20-2006, 02:24 PM
how do you mean interlude? Like "intermission"?

MoreTool
03-20-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah

Loveboat Captain
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
does it sound like a piss about or and actual piece of music?

aeonflux
03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
ya know i was like gonna be all 'i'll wait until i can buy it', then i remembered the thread saying how much the new album will stink if '10,000 days' is the real title and all the announced tracks are the actual song names. then i thought about the guy who posted that tool owes us, the fans, and it dawned on me, yeah! they do owe me something great! and since the album will probably lick balls, i'll just go ahead and steal it once its leaked.

that'll show them! and you all, you pussy ass bitches. i rule.

MoreTool
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
it sounds pretty good actually, not very toolish but who knows, it reminds me of a Radiohead song. I found it with Morpheus, Tool - Lipan Conjuring, 2.82 mg

I don't know how to share it with you, can you give me a good site for hosting?

profundo giallo
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Good question about the internet release. If it wasn't for the non-musical components of a release it probably wouldn't matter. It would certainly kill my buzz if it were an internet release only.

There is, however, a big difference between downloading leaked tracks and buying the actual album (apart from quality, artwork, linear notes, etc.)

There is really no ritual to downloading. You find a seed, you click on it and you wait until you have the nice little zip file on your desktop. If you have a relatively fast connection, you get maybe 5-10 minutes of thrill while it downloads and that's about it (besides actually listening).

When it comes to purchasing an album (not yet having heard any leaks) you are in a different gear. You wake up knowing that "today is the day" and it gets you pumped up (especially considering it's been 5 years.)

You actually have to get dressed and go for a bit of a voyage to get to the store (unless you're buying it online). Once you get there you seek it out on the shelves, excitement mounting. At last, it's in your hands and you stare at it for a minute, turning it over and over a few times to take in the cover artwork.

You slap down your dirty dollars on the counter and walk away with the object of your longing. For myself, it's ritual to slide that disc into the CD player in the car, turn it up and go for a nice long drive. For others, they have it in a bag next to them as they make their way home, excitement increasing.

The moment when you finally get to put that shiney little fucker in the disc tray and turn it up, after the years of waiting, is what it's all about... the payload.

Then, after you're done listening to it over and over again.... you get to start your next 5 year wait! Hooray!!

Nice post! Sums up the excitement pretty well, as soon as ive bought the album ill be doing my power walk back to my house, the excitement building after ever step with my hot sweaty hands clasping that little hmv bag!..............jesus its gonna be a gusher!

M. Sagro
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm going to wait. I'm on AOL dial-up, so it takes me half an hour to download a three minute long song. It'd be easier to wait for the album to come out for me. Also, I recently uninstalled Kazaa and Limewire because of the adds coming from them. I'd be playing Call of Duty, then it minimizes and something saying something about vacations popped up. Then I'd die. :(

MasterOfKtulu109
03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
i'm going to stay away from the radio (like i don't already) and any topics describing new Tool.

I want to listen all the way through, uninterrupted and without ever hearing anything of it before.

same here. there's just something a little more special and meaningful when you go to the store and buy it and put it into the cd player. i've waited for years; i can wait an extra week or two if it leaks early. it just makes it that much more amazing. it's not like there isnt any music to listen to in the mean time.

plexus
03-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I will not wait.

tDoXoMl
03-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Why the fuck would I want to be mature about something?

FUCK MATURITY.

bonus.cheese
03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Waiting for the album is showing an example of self control, and respect to the band.

It's just something you do to make yourself feel better when you have the real thing. I wanna wait for it so I can have it real loud in my car driving home after buying it. It will be good quality (not some shitty ass mp3). Also I wanna hear the whole album in one go. Not a few songs of some p2p program.

ÆmorphousEnigma
03-20-2006, 04:17 PM
You guys that make a ritual out of getting a new CD are pathetic. Tool is not that great. Artwork is nice, but certainly not fundamental. I listen to the music, not interpret the psuedo-philosophical bullshit.

I don't think I'll bother buying this one unless its something really special. Tool are pretty big and there's a good chance that I'll see them live, so I might as well spend my money on smaller bands.

tDoXoMl
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM

Interesting.

OMG thats fuckin funny

M. Sagro
03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
You guys that make a ritual out of getting a new CD are pathetic. Tool is not that great. Artwork is nice, but certainly not fundamental. I listen to the music, not interpret the psuedo-philosophical bullshit.

I don't think I'll bother buying this one unless its something really special. Tool are pretty big and there's a good chance that I'll see them live, so I might as well spend my money on smaller bands.
Gtfo.

ÆmorphousEnigma
03-20-2006, 04:34 PM
You're buying 10 copies, right?

Octopod
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I'll wait. Tool isn't just about the music for me. Whoever posted the comment on looking at the artwork while listening to the music for the first time hit the nail on the head, imo. It's the whole presentation that does it for me.

There is something to be said for buying an album that you have never listened to. It's a big rush when it's good and you didn't know for sure, but you put your money on the line anyway. Like gambling. That's a feeling that never happens if you always download.

I also feel like I am showing respect to the band when I wait until their intended release time to consume their art. You may think it makes no difference, but to me it does. Respect creates something in your mind, and to me that something is valuable. It shows reverence for your fellow beings, and even if no one perceives it but you, it still means something. And no, that doesn't make me feel any closer to the band, nor does it make me feel that I am worshipping them. Showing respect does not = worship.

The other thing is that it's just so unappealing to me to stare at a computer screen and click a mouse and get the music that way. Giving nothing and getting something amazing in return just feels cheap to me. It feels parasitic. I don't want to feel that way. It has nothing to do with Jesus or Krishna or Buddah or Dr. Phil. I don't want to be an insect or treat people like insects. I know that buying the album later would even it out financially, but it isn't just about money. It's about respect from me to an artist, and exerting some restraint.

I'm fine with anyone who feels it makes no difference, download away. But for me it makes a difference.

Gendo_Ikari's_Glasses
03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm going to wait.

Lost Keys
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM

nah there's no way, man.

it's TOOL!!!

that's one band I won't spoil on mp3s. I'll wait like everyone else who wants to hear it the day it comes out. the ride away from the record store. in awe. I'm going to drive out to the country like I did last time and just reflect on the last 5 years.

it's worth that. if one band is worth it. tool is.

ÆmorphousEnigma
03-21-2006, 01:50 AM
nah there's no way, man.

it's TOOL!!!

that's one band I won't spoil on mp3s. I'll wait like everyone else who wants to hear it the day it comes out. the ride away from the record store. in awe. I'm going to drive out to the country like I did last time and just reflect on the last 5 years.

What makes Tool so special? They're not the only who plays intelligent music.

Lost Keys
03-21-2006, 01:54 AM
What makes Tool so special? They're not the only who plays intelligent music.

who said they were?

ÆmorphousEnigma
03-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Err... you did:

that's one band I won't spoil on mp3s.
By saying that you imply that Tool is special.

chalimar
03-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Does anyone really have to explain why something or somebody is special to him? Is it really necessary?

To you, Tool isn't special. That's fine. To me, they are. They just are. They're my favourite band, I love their music.

Lost Keys
03-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Err... you did:

By saying that you imply that Tool is special.

special as in how? house key on a shoestring necklace special... or?

Ryan
03-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Tool isn't special..

i've wiped tool off my chest... with a grey gym sock.

Sleep
03-21-2006, 03:18 AM
It will leak. Simple as that. Probably fairly close to the release date though.

benfti
03-21-2006, 05:41 AM
using morpheus you can find most of the tracks, what they are i dont know.

benfti
03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
i really dont think its it, and i feel dirty by even considering downloading it

Lost Keys
03-21-2006, 06:41 AM
i really dont think its it, and i feel dirty by even considering downloading it

using morpheus for anything makes me feel dirty.

Grimface
03-21-2006, 06:42 AM
I will download everything that leaks, and then I'll buy my own copy from the record store when it arrives.

Animus X torsi
03-21-2006, 06:46 AM
its only a month left, just wait. youll have your single soon. then the cd will be out in no time

chonus
03-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm gonna wait it out...

magnolia
03-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not downloading it if it leaks. I've done that with too many albums after saying to myself that I wouldn't download it each time. Frances The Mute, for example. And the leak turned out to be the worst quality leak I'd ever heard. It ruined my first listening experience. I think if I could wait 5 years for a new Tool album, I can wait the whole 5 years, and buy it the day it's released.

Sketch Soland
03-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm not downloading it if it leaks. I've done that with too many albums after saying to myself that I wouldn't download it each time. Frances The Mute, for example. And the leak turned out to be the worst quality leak I'd ever heard. It ruined my first listening experience. I think if I could wait 5 years for a new Tool album, I can wait the whole 5 years, and buy it the day it's released.

quoted for truth (especially about FtM)

84 pontiac dream
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
i actually perfer the early vinyl or unmastered leak of ftm....it gives it a gritty, raw, old sound that totally works for it....

Sol Invictus
03-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Frances leak was HORRIBLE. Poor guys if i worked that hard on a record then heard that shite of quality leak I would wanna cry haha. Im only gonna download the single and MAYBE one little teaser song a day or two before the album comes out.

bass_dude
03-21-2006, 10:48 AM
I won't download.

A single is enough for me to keep me alive until the full album.

A better question would be: If you want to experience the whole album in unaltered power that first time, are you really going to want to listen to the single, knowing that it may well get played to death, and probably mean you skip it on the first listen to the whole disc?

Alex

chalimar
03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
I won't listen to the single.

Sol Invictus
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
naw just means i have heard that part of the masterpiece, its like seeing a corner slice of a van gogh you can look at it a trillion times and not have any idea what the whole piece of art is about. I can deal with it....schism is my least fav on lateralus not because i heard it a million times before Lateralus hit the stores its the worst song on the album.

NMCF22
03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
How can you avoid listening to the single on the radio? Im so excited for the new album. I will listen to the radio all day on April 17 waiting for it and personally dont mind if I play it a million times and become sick of it before the release of the album. Just an opinion.

NMCF22
03-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Schism's a great song.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Schism's a great song.

I think Schism is one of tool's best songs, I kinda wish that I hadnt heard it before I heard it in its original context on Latreralus. A band like tool makes an album, not just a loose complilation of sweet songs, I am gonna try to avoid the radio untill i get the album and listen to it all the way through.

Indrid Cold
03-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I would like to avoid the radio single but as hard as that may be I will probably end up listening to it by accident or out of curiosity due to my friend bugging me with information.

magnolia
03-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Schism's a great song.
I was blown away by Schism. More-so because I'd found the "secret" page on ToolBand that was just the lyrics from the song, about a week before the single was released. I heard Schism and while it was blowing me away, I realized the lyrics were from the "secret page" (which I thought was just some sort of hidden poem).

Jayar
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Fuck yeah I'd download it, come release time I'd pay for it.

nexx_au
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Waiting for the album is 'respecting the band'? I'll respect the band by buying their album, standing in line for 8 hours and paying $100+ for front row tickets to a concert which is in another state, and $50 for a vastly overpriced TOOL shirt at the merchandise counter. All of this after I download the leaked album.

bbunt302
03-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I also fail to see how downloading a leak is disrespecting the band. I understand the band wants us to experience the albums as a whole or whatever, but I personally will experience the music how I want to. I don't really care how they "intend" it to be experienced.

To me an album leaking is not a big deal. Only the more (and I hate to use this term) "hardcore" fans will be out looking for leaks. Nobody else will really give a shit. For the fans who do care, a couple songs leaking will just further peak their interests. I would dare wager that at least 90% of the people that would download any leaks that may occur will buy the album anyway. Sure, you'll have some assholes that download the entire CD without buying it, but I don't think the number of people who do this is as large as it is made out to be. There's still the definite possibility that I could be wrong.

Still, to me the whole RIAA versus the Internet thing just doesn't make sense. Downloading music, in my case, has lead to me buying more CDs than I used to. The Internet makes it much easier to find new artists, sample a couple of their songs, and then buy the CD. Seems like free advertising to me. Not to mention the fact that bands do not make the majority of their money off album sales. The make it off touring and merchandising. The Internet just increases fan base in my eyes.

Of course, this is all just my opinion on things, which automatically makes it flawed. :)

seadonkey
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I can't wait. Here in Brazil, an imported TOOL album will cost me at least R$80 (close to $40US). I will download the album, then when my professors come here from the US I will have them bring the album for me.
The only songs I downloaded from the Lateralus album were Schism and The Patient, for some reason the two songs I wanted to hear most from the album. The day it came out, I went and bought my copy at 8AM. I was in the US at the time. I actually live there, I'm just in Brazil now and will be here when the TOOL album is released and the new Peeping Tom album and maybe the Tomahawk album. So I'll get them all when I go back to the US.

Natalie Portman
03-21-2006, 09:28 PM

No. I will listen to the single though. And is choice spelled choise in other parts of the world?

Intertwined
03-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Blah, integrity means I'm still going to buy it, I downloaded vicarious and from what I heard it's very good, if it's tool, I do not know, still a good download.

Watching and mentioning
03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
An idea.

I remember once wanting to hear an album before i bought it, so I checked amazon.com. They let you stream the entire album off their site if you pre-ordered/purchased the album.

Pretty good idea, in my opinion.

spiral out

stinkfish
03-22-2006, 09:44 AM
like i've said before, i'll download it, just like I do with all my albums. If it holds the two month test (doesn't suck after two months like with teeth) i'll buy one copy that i'll probably never even use.

Seems like so many people values the first listening experience too high. I seriously couldn't care less about the first time I hear the album. I value the experience of listening to a timeless song like Lateralus now, five years after it's release more than the first time I heard it. I appreciate songs a lot more when I let them grow on me. Some of my favourite songs I couldn't even stand listening to the first time, was just a bunch of noises to my ear.

Even tho I can't even understand how downloading the leak would ruin the experience. Rips now days contains high standard, all tracks packed in perfect order into one file, with the art work included.

froghawk
03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't think Tool's a band that's good at changing a song when putting it in context with the album. Lateralus barely felt like an album in terms of flow, and hearing Schism beforehand changed nothing.

I will download the leak.

varg
03-25-2006, 12:33 AM

Why would you wanna do that? RHCP are overrated shit.

RosettaStoned
03-25-2006, 01:02 AM
And is choice spelled choise in other parts of the world?
You got me man!

blabber
03-25-2006, 04:23 AM
If it were to leak on the 25th, that'd be pretty easy to wait. If it leaked like, on the 7th... well, then maybe I'd download it.

I downloaded Catch 33 right when it was leaked, and just made me want the real one even more. I then went on to buy every Meshuggah album.

Seriously, downloading music for free has cost me a lot of money, because I need to buy all these amazing albums.

dracomordag
03-25-2006, 05:21 AM
I won't download.

A single is enough for me to keep me alive until the full album.

A better question would be: If you want to experience the whole album in unaltered power that first time, are you really going to want to listen to the single, knowing that it may well get played to death, and probably mean you skip it on the first listen to the whole disc?

Alex

people complain about this for every release, but it's never happened to me. As long as the single is good. I probably listened to Dream Theater's "These Walls" around once a day for the two weeks before the CD reached stores, and it's still the song I listen to most on the album. Of course, on the album, that awsome guitar solo is there, making it all the better.

TheFugue
03-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Of course i'd download it!

What's the hard choice exactly?
That shows disrespect to the band?In what way exactly?
If it shows anyone disrespect that's the record company and they deserve it!

bonus.cheese
03-25-2006, 06:38 AM
You disrespect the band by stealing their work. That wasn't hard, try thinking about what you say.

bass_dude
03-25-2006, 06:38 AM
people complain about this for every release, but it's never happened to me. As long as the single is good. I probably listened to Dream Theater's "These Walls" around once a day for the two weeks before the CD reached stores, and it's still the song I listen to most on the album. Of course, on the album, that awsome guitar solo is there, making it all the better.

I wasn't complaining, just proposing a question. Coincidentally, if i didn't like at least one of the songs on each Tool album prior to buying, i probably wouldn't have got into them as easily- My first song was Aenima, and i listened to it loads for months before i heard schism, and bought Laterlus. Aenima itself didn't appeal too much to me, but i bought it because i loved the title track. now i love the album almost as much as Lateralus.

Alex

ry.
03-25-2006, 06:39 AM
This is a theory of mine, and I dont think its been discussed before.

This also assumes the Andy King Interview is somewhat legit.

Adam is going to be featured in next months Guitar World correct?

And his guitar work is supposed to be almost "Hendrix-like"

So will we see a leak of the guitar line from a song on 10,000 days, much like we heard the Schism bass line before the song was leaked. The Schism bass line came from Guitar World I am am not mistaken.

bass_dude
03-25-2006, 06:46 AM
To be honest, i'd rather have some lyrics or a bassline than a guitar bit- there's the whole "hendrix-like" thing with Jones, but from what others have said, Justin is meant to have gone out of this worl d, and just a line or two from Maynard would be great to see how he's been writing for the record.

Alex

stinkfish
03-25-2006, 06:54 AM
This is a theory of mine, and I dont think its been discussed before.

This also assumes the Andy King Interview is somewhat legit.

Adam is going to be featured in next months Guitar World correct?

And his guitar work is supposed to be almost "Hendrix-like"

So will we see a leak of the guitar line from a song on 10,000 days, much like we heard the Schism bass line before the song was leaked. The Schism bass line came from Guitar World I am am not mistaken.

We can always hope.

2and46
03-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I'll wait till May 2nd. I'm not downloading anything. I want my first experience with this album complete with artwork...and my conscience.

mike09
03-25-2006, 07:05 AM
*hear

ATARI
03-25-2006, 07:10 AM
spring a leak everyone

Midgard
03-25-2006, 07:16 AM
I HAVE THE NEW ALBUM

stu
03-25-2006, 07:21 AM
everyone on tb3 already has it

we'd share but... you know

researchtriangle
03-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Anyone remember how early Lateralus leaked?

eleventh minute
03-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Anyone remember how early Lateralus leaked?

a few weeks ago

eleventh minute
03-25-2006, 07:41 AM
and yes, i would download it...but in all respect i would actually buy the album when it comes out. ...its just not the same if it isnt authentic. so either way, they'll get their fat-ass-dirty-dollar.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I have a 3 minute leak of Vicarious =P

Grimface
03-25-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a small penis

researchtriangle
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
a few weeks ago

poorest attempt at a witty reply i've ever seen on an internet message board. think about that statement.

researchtriangle
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
hey a tad bid catatonic, do you live in west virginia?

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:00 AM
I have a small penis

You have a small penis? :) lol.. can I floss my teeth with it?

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Example: Leaks April 25th, your 'not-so-tool-fan' friends will be listening to it and will tell you everything about it.. BUT..
you, a 'real-tool-fan', will wait till the official release. You don't want to hear anything, shame on those downloaders/leechers! So you'll be waiting, toolnavy.com could drive you insane because 'the-downloaders' are giving their opinions, but you, you are a real fan, you respect the band and.. you wait it out.

Difficult choise?
Will you download as soon as it leaks because 'OH MY I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER'..
or, as said, wait it out.

for me,
HARD choice.

Cheers,
the Dutchman

I'd download it.. and then buy it when it comes out. :) No if's, and's or but's. Tool is pretty much the only band that I will actually buy their abums to support them... Rightfully so I guess.

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:11 AM
a few weeks ago

For sure.. I had it almost 2 months before the actual release.

Grimface
03-25-2006, 08:13 AM
You have a small penis? :) lol.. can I floss my teeth with it?

For a dollar you can do what ever you wish ;)

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
For a dollar you can do what ever you wish ;)

A dollar? isn't that a little over priced? ;) bwahhaha

Snakedragon
03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I HAVE THE NEW ALBUM

care to upload/tell us what it's about?

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:18 AM
I HAVE THE NEW ALBUM

Yeah... If that's the case, why don't you share? Hmmmm?

Hodge
03-25-2006, 08:26 AM
he did
i have it now

Grimface
03-25-2006, 08:26 AM
There's no way in hell that he has it for real. I want a single. That's all. Yarrrr. I hope they release it to the radiostations next week :o

Hodge
03-25-2006, 08:27 AM
hopefully it doesn't leak TOO far in advance
or i might have to boycott this place for a week

Snakedragon
03-25-2006, 08:28 AM
when's it (the single) supposed to be released to radio?

Hodge
03-25-2006, 08:31 AM
maybe april 13 (when embargo ends) or april 17 (maynards brithday)

either way, we'll be hearing the single in less than a month.....wow

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Let it leak... I'm anxious. My itchy fingers even want to pre-order it on Amazon for $10.98.. but I'm debating.

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:35 AM
he did
i have it now

Plan on sharing it with the rest of us? Can you even confirm that it's legit?

Hodge
03-25-2006, 08:37 AM
no i was joking
i don't think we should reasonably expect it to leak for atleast another few weeks

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
no i was joking
i don't think we should reasonably expect it to leak for atleast another few weeks

Agreed, however Lateralus leaked like 2 months prior.. So I guess you never know.

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
There's no way in hell that he has it for real. I want a single. That's all. Yarrrr. I hope they release it to the radiostations next week :o

Yaaarrrr.... hahaha..

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
hey a tad bid catatonic, do you live in west virginia?

Hah well close, like 25 miles - actually am in Northern Virginia out in the boonies. But I can picture the mothman around this area - hope to see him one of these days ;).

TurdEye13
03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
No.

Deceit
03-25-2006, 08:44 AM
No.

Where in Ca are you?

Boozy Eulogist
03-25-2006, 11:24 AM

What a sucker

paganman7
03-25-2006, 11:49 AM

Does it make you want to inexplicably frag mutant scientists on Mars?

MentalSanityOff
03-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Seriously, lets just mug maynard and have him spill it already

a_sirian_in_agony
03-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Does it make you want to inexplicably frag mutant scientists on Mars?
not mutant....SATANIC SPAWN FROM HELL!!!!

a_sirian_in_agony
03-25-2006, 12:04 PM
where does maynard live?.....hehe

bozziodrummer000
03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Seriously, lets just mug maynard and have him spill it already
ill throw rocks

Havokb8
03-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Check it out if you guys really think you have a 3 minute leak of vicarious you are fools, i saw that on limewire i never got it its pointless, i can PROMISE you it wont leak first on limewire, it will be on IRC first like everything else, so sorry you havent heard vicarious.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Heh - I should probably just not say anything at all, but you guys know I was just kidding? First time I heard that I knew it was not Tool, but it IS a blatant rip off, and closest thing I have heard to them yet. Though, that bassline at the front is pretty sick, I could see that as something off the new album. Other than that, it is just recycled crap - I mean there is a chord from Third Eye, and the guy is playing it in the same timing over and over, then that main riff is just like a really crappy version of Lateralus' main riff. But it is enough to get a little excited, and I certainly understand how the casual TOOL fan could be easily mislead. And last but not least, it is from a band called Tweaker lol... sigh. So yeah I won't get my panties in a wad, but I was just trying to be funny - I guess there are so many tards on here, it's easy to be mistaken for one, by one ;P...

Hodge
03-25-2006, 12:49 PM
i'll blatant your asshole

submachine
03-25-2006, 02:25 PM
how much do you respect the band.

Enough to buy concert tickets and maybe some merchandise if its good stuff.

But buying CD's is a 90's thing, get real.

Metalhos
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
For sure.. I had it almost 2 months before the actual release.

and you still like the elephteria album on your harddrive, hm?

InertUniformity
03-25-2006, 05:25 PM
does anyone know when the single gets sent to radio stations?

shit...does anyone know if a single has even been chosen?

donkeynorris
03-25-2006, 05:25 PM
The purist approach. I'm thinking I'll need a rabbi to bless my copy of the album before I can listen to it.

Or maybe David Hasselhoff.
I'll have The Hoff bless my copy of 10K days as well! No, I'll make mine a co-blessing by Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris.

Metalgod666
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm suprised that even a 10 second clip of the first single hasn't leaked yet

Jesus Knievel
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
ill download it....and not buy it

muhahahaha

yeah ill buy it to

Sol Invictus
03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Maybe there is no single. I wish they would release a segue or a song like mantra as a single as a joke for about 3 days then send the real one. spot on spot on

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm actually surprised we haven't heard a leak of any sort yet as well - though I have no doubt that it's coming. With as rabid as people are about this - it's only a matter of time. But goddamn I have to give props to the band - they have done a slick job so far. All the more reason to respect their wishes. You know though, I just want to get my hands on it - and I will buy it ten fold, but it has been 5 years. I just want to hear the damn thing, you know. I also want to contribute to them though as much as I possibly can. But... well... patience is wearing thin.

HalfASandwidch
03-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm suprised my penis hasn't fallen off due to the beating it's taken.

HiPp_1
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
It is getting harder and harder to wait. It would be pretty unbelievable if they were able to keep the entire album under wraps until the release date, except for the single or course. With all the ways info. can leak these days, it would be one hell of an acomplishmemt.

Sol Invictus
03-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Your sig makes me laugh and think twice cos i always make the statement about something being west of the mississippi, but you are east, trips me out to hear the statement reversed. haha its late and im impaired.

noisetherapy
03-25-2006, 11:47 PM
true story:
a month ago a certain torrent site had a leak of the album. i downloaded it, it was only gonna take 23 mins it said! 5 secs to go and i wonder.... what if this is actually it. click to open the song. a bunch of garbage music played by brutal performers. it has been removed since

thautis
03-26-2006, 04:49 AM
it will leak april first... in the march newsletter

Convectuoso
03-27-2006, 08:02 AM
And last but not least, it is from a band called Tweaker lol... sigh. So yeah I won't get my panties in a wad, but I was just trying to be funny - I guess there are so many tards on here, it's easy to be mistaken for one, by one ;P...

Tweaker is basically just the old drummer from NIN (Chris Vrenna ) I've not heard the Doom 3 track but I know the one song I have heard that was credited to Tweaker was pretty damn good. It was called Swamp and I got it whilst searching for tracks with Jonah from Far singing. King Buzzo supplies the main riff and doesn’t disappoint.

That’s not to say the rest of his stuff isn’t shit, just thought I’d give them a little support.

And for what it’s worth I downloaded Schism as I was pretty rabid after waiting close to 5 years for a new album. I made a CD with it on about 5 times and I think that pretty much killed it for me for about the 1st year I had Lateralus. I was always so eager to get onto another song I hadn’t listened too as much that I always tended to skip it. I really don’t want to do that this time and as I know I wouldn’t be able to listen to anything else so I’ll definitely just wait for the release.

ripewithdecay
03-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, now that I look at my calendar, it's actually quite suprising that we've heard nothing on this new album yet. No album cover, no clips; all we have is a title and a tracklist that might or might not be bullshit.

Boy, I'll say, I'm impressed.

eddie75
03-27-2006, 09:09 AM
If it leaks i'll listen to it like a bastard and then buy it when it comes out

Alex in Chains
03-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I'll definitely buy it when it comes out. If it leaks, I'll probably do what I did with Lateralus: I'll allow myself the single plus one song (I picked "The Grudge" because it was the first song on the album) to hold me over, not listening to anything else from the album until I have it in my hot little hands.

Of course, I have more willpower now than I did when I was 20, so I might be able to just wait it out this time. Maybe.

Zenith
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
buy the new record
send more money
fuck you buddy

Staralfur
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
amen brotha...

varg
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
a few weeks ago
Lollers