PDA

View Full Version : Obvious and Hysterical

Synethesia
03-10-2003, 12:46 AM
For once Maynard's message is loud and clear, there's no need to read between the lines. But wait. He's talking about all of us. Everybody is a whore. Everybody is out there for the dirty dollar. Maynard is definitely out there for the dirty dollar but I also believe that he loves to make music.

Tool is a band full of very eccentric people. But come on? How crazy are they really? One of their main themes is shock value. That is why they write songs like "stinkfist" and "hooker with a penis" and "Prison Sex" It appeals to the "counter-culture." The people who conform by not conforming. By choosing an image about of yourself be it preppy or goth, you are comforming to a standard. We all do it. It is about fitting in. That is why they tell people they are lachrymologists and spread rumors about necrophilia and cannibalism. It's a freaking riot. That's why they have pictures of people performing felatio on themselves on their cd. It is so people who feed on the darker side of our culture will buy their cd's and the people who listen to britney spears won't interfere with their fan base.

They have built up an image of the anti-image. Maynard doesn't show his face often because he wants people to be intrigued by it. I know i got fooled by it. "Oh Maynard is so mysterious and REAL" What is real? I whole heartedly believe they are being true to the music. But I also accept the fact that they are business men. We all BUY BUY BUY their new record as soon as it comes out so we are all the dumbshits. Unfortunately I think Tool has a love/annoyed relationship with their fans. How funny must we look with our bald heads and Tool t-shirts in line for the concerts boasting about how much we know about Tool, and all the speculation about their personal lives.

I personally don't think that Tool will ever "sell-out" in the ugly sense of the term. I think they have sold out in a good way. But then the higher our expectations of somebody the harder they can fall from their pedestal.

In conclusion I would like to say that what separates Tool from "sell-out" bands is that they accept and admit that money is a driving force and always will be. It wouldn't make sense to make music that didn't appeal to anybody but yourself. I love this song for everything it is and stands for.

BrokenGlassJAw
03-15-2003, 07:25 PM
AMEN.