PDA

View Full Version : Tool vs Chili Peppers vs Pearl Jam

Ocelot199
03-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Who do you think is going to debut numero uno? Three huge bands all releasing long-awaited albums within a week of each other... kind of exciting.

Personally, I think the Chili Peppers are going to end up coming out on top. They're the most widely liked of the three, and they've been promoting their new album like theres no tomorrow.

So, what'd you think?

Yes, I am bored. Shut up.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 07:49 AM
it will be a close one i think, im gonna say

tool with 250,000 copies sold debut at #2
rhcp with 500,000 copies sold debut at #1
pearl jam with 250,000 copies sold debut at #3

DWdrummer
03-19-2006, 07:54 AM
i hate to say it. but i chose RCP. they are such a commercially huge band they always debut at #1. i do think theres a strong possibility that RCP will debut at 1, but Tool will take their place soon after

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 07:54 AM
tool will start at #1, but then the next week rhcp will take it

bass_dude
03-19-2006, 07:56 AM
tool will start at #1, but then the next week rhcp will take it

exactly.

But do we know what pricing is on the Chili's? a double album after all, will it be more?

Alex

alucinar
03-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Chillis are bound to be on top, although I'll have to check the charts in new zealand, as more tool albums are sold there per head o population than anywhere in the world, then again rhcp and pearl jam are sooo popular back home too. should be more of a staggered release so all three bands can hit the number one spot !

DWdrummer
03-19-2006, 08:05 AM
that would be exellent

stinkfish
03-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I want tool to top it followed by pearl jam and then chillis. But I think chillis will grab the throne with tool as second and pearl jam coming in at last.

thejesus
03-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Hmm...I don't know...a few years ago I would have said RHCP, but their last record, By the Way (which I love), barely went platinum, whereas Californication sold 5 million copies...

And Californication sold 4 million copies within a year of it's release...

By the Way has been out for 4 years now and has only sold 1 million copies...

Guess we'll have to see

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 08:19 AM
poor pearl jam, they should get some of the spotlight, this was bad timing for these three bands, cause i dont have 40 bucks to spare, so im guessing there are others....

Hannibal
03-19-2006, 08:24 AM
neither Pearl Jam or RHCP are going to the extreme measures of not having their album leaked like Tool has. I see less people buying the RHCP and Pearl Jam, because they've already downloaded them weeks before they are released. putting Tool at no. 1.

Wretched
03-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I'd love to see Pearl Jam come in second. Even if you hate their music, you gotta respect how they've broken away from their commercial self inorder to make the music they want.

Tool will be in first, hopefully. I plan to download the Chili Peppers album.

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Tool will sell more, Tool will debuet #1. Book it.

"Lateralus easily bested the first-week sales figures of #2 Missy
Elliott's Miss E ... So Addictive, selling 555,000"

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers last album "By the way" peaked at number 2 with first-week sales of nearly 300,000 copies".

So BOOOOOO-YA Ocelot199.

Lateralus sold 250,000 more in it's first week of lateralus then red hot chilli peppers sold of by the way.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 09:25 AM
well, tools only competition was missy eliot......

thejesus
03-19-2006, 09:25 AM
"Red Hot Chilli Peppers last album "By the way" peaked at number 2 with first-week sales of nearly 300,000 copies".

So BOOOOOO-YA Ocelot199.

yes, and a lot of that had to do with Californication having such universal appeal that it sold 4 million copies in its first year...

However, By the Way was a commercial dissapoinment by comparison, selling only 1 million copies since it was released back in '02...

The failure of the RHCP last album to attract the masses might impact their upcomming record's first week sales...

Dharma Bear
03-19-2006, 09:27 AM
RHCP will be number one
Tool comin in at a close second

orange.juice
03-19-2006, 09:33 AM
everyone loves the Chili Peppers except me. So, Chili Peppers.

I think the US is the only country where Tool has wide popularity. Everywhere else RHCP will top them easily.

Wretched
03-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Plus, like someone mentioned earlier, it'll cost more because it is a double album. I think people will be more inclined to try the other options.

chalimar
03-19-2006, 09:36 AM
everyone loves the Chili Peppers except me. So, Chili Peppers.

I think the US is the only country where Tool has wide popularity. Everywhere else RHCP will top them easily.

I don't like them either.

Hodge
03-19-2006, 09:43 AM
i say tool. they gained a lot of fans with lateralus and i'm pretty sure the new single will aid to the cause

Systolic
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I think RHCP will beat out Tool.. mostly because of the fact that Tool doesn't seem to be making an effort to promote the album in the states too much at this point. Theyre so concerned with their prevention of leaks and keeping theis fans at bay that I don't think the album is too incredibly anticipated at this point. I could be way off base though.. I dont know. Just a guess.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
the pot will take a strong hold in amsterdam i bet

orange.juice
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
is this intended for the "world" billboard or just the US? I guess Tool can make it in the US, however Lateralus only made it to #5 in Germany at all.

ATARI
03-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Chili Peppers - Get on the Top.

insaner
03-19-2006, 09:57 AM
well, tools only competition was missy eliot......

ive told the story a thousand times, but maynard and danny both were directly behind me in line at tower recods in atlanta to buy laterlaus. thats right, to buy their own album.

they actually left their women in line most of the time, and browsed the store.

anyways, when we all got to the front to buy the album, i joked with nard asking him if he was there to buy the new megadeth album. he cracked back by saying he was actually there to buy missy elliot.

eulogy508
03-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Tool cause they don't suck

dischordance
03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Can I just give a thumbs up to the record exec that decided to release the album on the same day as these other two? GOOD WORK, GUY!!! KEEP IT UP, SLUGGER!!

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-19-2006, 10:02 AM
ive told the story a thousand times, but maynard and danny both were directly behind me in line at tower recods in atlanta to buy laterlaus. thats right, to buy their own album.

anyways, when we all got to the front to buy the album, i joked with nard asking him if he was there to buy the new megadeth album. he cracked back by saying he was actually there to buy missy elliot.

Thats awesome. lol. There's a few good tunes on that elliot album though. I'm from georgia so im down with the hip-hop scene to.

Anyway TOOL will sell over 500,000 copies in the first week. Chili Peppers will sell around 300,000 copies and Pearl Jam will sell around 160,000.

Rosette feasted
03-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Tool cause they don't suck
I agree!
I voted for Pearl Jam
i saw you buying a pearl jam record,and i noticed that you're [no]

RacecaR123
03-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I respect this thread in the way that it get's people talking. But in my opinion...who cares about the charts? If Tool was not on the charts I would still listen to their music and enjoy it as much as I do now. I don't think they worry about the charts, so we shouldn't either. I understand it's just fun to wonder about it though.

a788
03-19-2006, 10:31 AM
1) RCP
2) TOOLio
3) Pearl Jam...

actually i really have no idea... more people know who RCPs are

a788
03-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I respect this thread in the way that it get's people talking. But in my opinion...who cares about the charts? If Tool was not on the charts I would still listen to their music and enjoy it as much as I do now. I don't think they worry about the charts, so we shouldn't either. I understand it's just fun to wonder about it though.

i respect you.

forty6&two
03-19-2006, 10:32 AM
yeah probablly chili peppers since they are more popular, but i voted tool

chalimar
03-19-2006, 10:36 AM

Awesome. :)

mon-go-lloyd
03-19-2006, 10:38 AM
well, lateralus sold over 600.000 in its first week in the states alone.

tool fans I think, are far more eager to get their hands as fast as possible on any new release, as opposed to the rhcp fans or pearl jam fans. that's what I think anyway.

this is besides the point though, but rhcp and pearl jam are both horrible bands and the world would be a better place without those. also, kick in alice in chains and soundgarden in there as well. awful, just plain awful...

Noob_Jones
03-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I voted RHCP, want Tool to top the charts, and am listening to Pearl Jam while I write this!

dave.
03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Thursday.

TunnelVision
03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm guessing Tool by a nose.
They have the most widespread and loyal fan base. People have been waiting longer for Tool and if the album is all it's cracked up to be, it should be massive. People will be flocking in droves to store openings that day.

Pearljam I think is due for a good showing this year though..Better than Riotact. Everything I've read is saying this is thier strongest album in 10 years.

RHCP pretty much depends on if their lead single can generate the type of mainstream exposure that "Under the Bridge" and "Otherside" earned.

heh Thursday.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Pretty sure TOOL will sell the most. I think their popularity has grown exponentially since Lateralus, and people are highly awaiting this new album. I have met like 5 random people in the last few months who are like "Can't wait for the new TOOL album!!". I really think Pearl Jam has about had it - and I have been a fan of theirs since Ten came out. That new single is blah though, it really doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately - because I do still respect them. Chilis, well that is a tough call. We all know they are a great band, and they are still really popular, and continue to produce great records. But I'm pretty sure TOOL's fan base has grown exponentially since Lateralus - I myself have turned on like 10 people to them.

chalimar
03-19-2006, 11:08 AM
I really think Pearl Jam has about had it

Mmmh. Disagree. They just changed. I liked Riot Act a lot. Haven't heard the new single though.

Windir
03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Chilli Peppers, they will release their debute shortly after PinkPop, if I'm correct. I remember reading about it. So that means it will be released end of May, beginning of June.

Tool will probably keep us waiting a while longer and I dont care about PJ.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
actually peppers are may 9

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-19-2006, 11:24 AM
it does not matter. 10,000 Days well sell more it's first week then the chilli peppers new album first week.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 11:26 AM
i think the actual sales will be decided by mid january when tool and rhcp release singles. usually rhcp dominates the radio, as opposed to tool being played at midnight usually, so i think tool may be at a disantage for attracting new fans and attention

orange.juice
03-19-2006, 11:30 AM
so it is December now in southeast Pennsylvania?

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
actually its may 1st over here

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
there is no way 10,000 Days sells less then the 550,000 copies Lateralus sold first week.

eddie75
03-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Pearl Jam and RHCP's are both washed up bands.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 11:55 AM
yes well tool has this album as a chance to prove they arent washed up like the other two

eddie75
03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Lets see tool has relesed a #1 album this decade, when was the last time either of the other bands have?
Pearl Jam released one album that was worth anything, and RHCP hasn't released anything worth a shit since the mid 90's.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 12:01 PM
by the way peaked #2 in the us....

riot act hit #5 despite it not being that good....

eddie75
03-19-2006, 12:05 PM
by the way peaked #2 in the us....

riot act hit #5 despite it not being that good....
Lateralus reached #1 on the billboard music charts it's opening week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
and which of these bands will be touring the us around the opening weeks?

a788
03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Pearl Jam and RHCP's are both washed up bands.

i refure to believe that either are washed up

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Lateralus reached #1 on the billboard music charts it's opening week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus

lateralus was a masterpiece, yet only sold what, like 2 million in the us i think, yet two mediocre albums managed to go platinum at the same time because they were by rhcp and pearl jam. so if all three albums are high quality, i think rhcp will come out with the title

eulogy508
03-19-2006, 12:30 PM
i refure to believe that either are washed up
You're in denial

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 12:32 PM
well, compared to tool they are, tools been around almost as long as pearl jam, but they are just reached their peak at lateralus, or maybe will reach their peak with 10,000 days, while pearl jam peaked with vitalogy, as for rhcp, i doubt they will ever match the success of californication. and i just realized i contradicted what i said a few posts back. damn

ATARI
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Pearl Jam's last good album was Vitalogy

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
i said that

Winner
03-19-2006, 12:44 PM

true

i love all three bands, but Tool and Pearl Jam are actually my 2 favorite bands.

Tool being my absolute fave, of course.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Which is exactly why Tool will own May 2 coming it at #1. Pearl Jam will come in around #6 first week. Then next week on May 9 when Chili Peppers come out it will be close but Chili will ultimately take #1 on their release date with Tool coming in around #3 or something like that.

RedVilliam
03-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I know I'm a lowly lurker but I'll weigh in. Pearl Jam has no chance to me that's one of those album in which a majority of the fans will pick up as an after thought (random customer: Hmm... milk, eggs, condoms, paid the rent.... what else.... oh Pearl Jam's got a new one... sh*t I'm out of money have to pick that up next time.) I think the double RHCP album could be dangerous but if the price is more people might place that purchase on the back burner also (but with the fan base of the peppers if half their fans wait a week that's still leaves almost the equivalent of the entire tool base with cash). I think tool could do no worse then #2 but #1 is definitely possible especially with the huge initial burst that Tool is going to recieve. RHCP fans have been waiting a while but it's been nothing like the wait we've been experiencing. Not to mention the fact that some tool fans compensate for not having quick album releases by buying more then one copy. As for me I'm going to buy 2 tool albums for myself (yeah, I'm guilty) and wait until the next month to get the RHCP new one ; P

3poundsoflove
03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I've listened to 4 new PJ songs:

unemployed
worldwide suicide
crapshoot/comatose
gone (demo)

they're all very very boring and repetitive. I won't buy it.

Votes album by album:

Ten: 7.5
Vs.: 8
Vitalogy: 7
No Code: 7
Yield: 6.5
Binaural: 5.5
Riot Act: 4.5/5

bootlegs, singles in different versions, benaroya acoustic, lost dogs, greatest hits, live dvds... how to steal money to stupid fanatics. Pearl Jam are the most hypocrite band I've ever seen. They act like saints...

Rhcp is obviously mainstream, but at least you know it, they've changed since californication.
Vedder sell an image of sincerity, purity, no-compromises,... but he's a hypocrite.

I think Tool will be on the top of the chart, then pearl jam at #3 or #4, to soon descend out of the top 20

Sleep
03-19-2006, 02:17 PM
RHCP is coming out the week after Tool's new one. Pearl Jam's new single has created alot of buzz for them so you never know. The promotion for Tool's latest has been as big as it was for Lateralus.

chonus
03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
neither Pearl Jam or RHCP are going to the extreme measures of not having their album leaked like Tool has. I see less people buying the RHCP and Pearl Jam, because they've already downloaded them weeks before they are released. putting Tool at no. 1.

TurdEye13
03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Tool

RedVilliam
03-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Pearl Jam < my babies used dirty diaper

ATARI
03-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Pearl Jam < my babies used dirty diaper

I highly doubt that. People reading and posting on obscure Tool forums aren't capable of having children

fraz
03-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Mmmh. Disagree. They just changed. I liked Riot Act a lot. Haven't heard the new single though.

new single isn't bad - pretty standard pearl jam really. You can listen to it on their myspace page: myspace.com/pearljam

It sure will be great to see 3 decent band on top of the charts. Britney spears or Nickelback better not release an album on the same day.

RedVilliam
03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I highly doubt that. People reading and posting on obscure Tool forums aren't capable of having children
Everyone can have kids, I bought mine on the black market.

EulogyCallinMe
03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
i wasnt even aware that people still listened to pearl jam...especially after the 30000 official bootleg releases and riot act. i know i stopped. with all that i thought they were committing career suicide because they had disgraced their names and their families. as for rchp, i wasnt aware that their fan base was so fervent, i thought they were always the type that needed to be proved to that the new stuff is worth buying. ie, a good single or something. not to mention just those main stream listeners that couldnt care less about the band unless the single got played at their high school dances or something. i say tool because they have yet to reach their peak (but thats subjective anyway) and even if you think they did they are always capable of pulling something awesome out of their ass so it doesnt really matter. i think there are plenty more people just itching for new tool material partly because (its been so long and...) they were proved to 5 years ago that they certainly have not lost their touch. i remember people saying tool shouldnt bother releasing lateralus because there is no way to top aenima and that tool should just break up. i always thought that was stupid and im glad that talk has stopped but i'll admit i dont know what to expect with lateralus and it pretty much blew my mind. and although we have been given more of an idea of the direction of this new album, we still dont really have a clue what its going to sound like (for the love of god dont say undertow, its not going to sound like undertow) just the curiosity factor alone will draw sales. because even their singles dont really give you a good idea of what the album sounds like so you cant gauge it by that. people have to hear the whole thing in order to get any idea.

sorry the edit was for some serious typos...i need to proof read.

Natalie Portman
03-19-2006, 03:47 PM
There will be a ton of hype around 10,000 Days. The single will come out, and then the album will be on store shelves like 2 weeks later, during the peak of the hype. Most bands release a single a month or more out, so excitement has tapered off by then. Add in the fact that it's been 5 years since the last album, and a lot of people will be talking about it. Versus RHCP which came out more recently. They crank out albums every few years, so it's not as big a deal. I say TOOL will be #1 the first week, but when RHCP comes out the next week they will probably overtake TOOL. The sales will begin to fall off after a week or so.

Fap
03-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Tough call, but I think the new Chili Peppers might do better even though i don't like them as much as the other two. But given Tool's rabid fanbase- and the hype, 10,000 days might do better. I don't think PJ will make first.

Emericana
03-19-2006, 04:21 PM
dude you are posting this on a tool message board... dont you think this poll is a little one sided?

fraz
03-19-2006, 04:53 PM
i wasnt even aware that people still listened to pearl jam...especially after the 30000 official bootleg releases and riot act. i know i stopped. with all that i thought they were committing career suicide because they had disgraced their names and their families.

why is having a bootleg site a disgrace? I think it's a good idea. If TOOL had a bootleg site, I would spend large amounts of money downloading official bootlegs.

ATARI
03-19-2006, 04:55 PM
dude you are posting this on a tool message board... dont you think this poll is a little one sided?

I agree

Ministry's - Rio Grande Blood is going to beat all of them.

Noob_Jones
03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Riot Act is a great album.

Grudge76
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Personally i think Pearl Jam is an exceptional band.

They have never been afraid to evolve and move away from the thing that got them famous... every album has tried new stuff and been different.

And i feel they put on one of the best live shows ive ever seen. No gimmicks... just a stright up rock and roll show (usually 21/2 to 3 hours at least too)

but thats just me

Ocelot199
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Of course it is. The poll is heavily weighed towards Tool, like I figured it would be... just because a lot of people don't understand the difference between what they want to happen and what logically is going to happen. If everyone voted logically, Tool and the Chili Peppers would be much closer (or tied), and nobody would have voted for Pearl Jam.

Someone asked if this was for the US or the whole world. I was talking the whole world. The US isn't the only place that matters, you know.

Someone else brought up that since the new RHCP CD is a double-album, it might raise the price, causing the amount bought to fall. Hadn't really thought of that before... wonder what kind of effect thats going to have.

I suppose this really rests on what the bands produce for their singles. The new Tool single (whatever it ends up being) is released a few days after Dani California goes on the air, and then the two albums are released a week apart, so the timeline is almost the same. Guess we'll just have to wait to hear them and see which one people end up listening to more. Oughta be interesting.

In any case, I'm buying 10,000 Days and Stadium Arcadium on the days they're released, as soon as the CD stores open. Fuck school/work.

insaner
03-20-2006, 02:11 AM
oh, and its tool by at least 200k albums.

mattw
03-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Someone asked if this was for the US or the whole world. I was talking the whole world. The US isn't the only place that matters, you know.

The above may be one of the best things anyone has ever said around here! Oh the humanity...

Anyway, as for the new albums, I have a thought: regardless of who sells more, I think Tool might actually have an advantage in terms of selling albums despite their lack of exposure etc.

A band like the Red Hot Chili Peppers releases albums that have catchy singles that most people want to hear: Californication had 'Scar Tissue', 'Otherside'; By The Way had the title track, 'Can't Stop', 'The Zephyr Song', and other albums had 'My Friends', 'Aeroplane', 'Under The Bridge', 'Give It Away' and so on...

Despite having popular singles, that doesn't neccesarily translate into people buying the entire album. I'm sure lots of people go "Yeah I really like their new song, but I don't know if I'll buy their cd" etc.

Now with Tool, despite having good singles (Schism, Stinkfist, Aenima, Sober etc.) you really want to buy the WHOLE album. With Aenima and Lateralus, specifically, I get such a kick out of the whole album, not just one or two tracks. With this notion in mind, it only serves to increase my anticipation for the next Tool record, as in the entire record. So many people go "Oh I love Aenima - it's awesome" or "I think Lateralus is such a good album" whereas with so many other bands, people say "Oh I like that song of theirs on the radio at the moment.

I reckon this only strengthens Tool's potential new album sales - people want the whole damn thing, not just some catchy tune they can easily download or hear 56 times a day on their local crappy radio station...

Also, the above posts about releasing a double album have a lot of merit.

With all this in mind, I still think the sales will be close. I'd love to see Tool come out on top, but don't underestimate the RHCP fanbase, especially if their new stuff kicks arse.

I'm looking forward to it all.

Also, Pearl Jam are ok. I can think of many bands who are much worse...

orange.juice
03-20-2006, 04:02 AM
think girls.

There's a lot of girls who like the Chili Peppers, and i don't think it's that many who listen to Tool. They usually have better things to do.

jackfriday
03-20-2006, 04:16 AM

that was the day of the best tool show i've ever seen(atlanta's tabernacle)
how cool to release a five year anticipated album on the same day as your first US show in years. people were goin fuckin nuts. 300 dollar fake tickets and such.
two girls in line behind me drove 14 hours from shreveport, la only to buy fakes on the sidewalk and couldn't get in.

eddie75
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
lateralus was a masterpiece, yet only sold what, like 2 million in the us i think, yet two mediocre albums managed to go platinum at the same time because they were by rhcp and pearl jam. so if all three albums are high quality, i think rhcp will come out with the title
Lateralus went platnum in the us

Bleedonstage
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM
i think CP will probably be the #1 but tool will be in a close second and pearl jam quite honestly picked a bad week to realease their new album, although i love Pearl Jam and Chili peppers its not even going to be a question which album i get, Tool all the way, i do question how much better this album could be than Lateralus but honestly i think tool has gotten progressively better every album, Lateralus was a masterpeice, people who didnt even like tool loved that album and quite honestly i think that album is a tough album to followup. i think that they have all had alot of time to prepare for 10,000 days but i dont know what to expect and if tool got all political in this album i might feel a little let down, i hear the news every day about how horrible bush is, and while i agree 100% that bush is the worst president america has ever had and these 6 years with him have been a nightmare, i really dont want tool to stoop to his level. i dunno though, i guess some of you might think i am ignorant for posting all this, i'm ranting now, but its how i feel.

insaner
03-20-2006, 11:10 AM
that was the day of the best tool show i've ever seen(atlanta's tabernacle)
how cool to release a five year anticipated album on the same day as your first US show in years. people were goin fuckin nuts. 300 dollar fake tickets and such.
two girls in line behind me drove 14 hours from shreveport, la only to buy fakes on the sidewalk and couldn't get in.

yeah that show was unreal.

i actually cut in line, so since i didnt wait as long as i should have, and pirated my way to the front, does that mean im not a loyal tool fan?

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I post facts and people ignore it. If you go by the last album sales Lateralus and By the way Lateralus outsolde by the way by 250,000 copies first week.

10,000 Days First Week will outsell Chillipeppers first week by 250,000 copies at least.

Lateralus has sold 2.3 Million in the USA and By They Way is at 1.1 Million.

TOOL has a bigger fan base now then the chillipeppers. Chillipeppers have sucked since Under The Bridge.

snakeeyedhawk
03-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Most likely Pearl Jam will have more sales, but musically -

Tool < all

Ocelot199
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I post facts and people ignore it. If you go by the last album sales Lateralus and By the way Lateralus outsolde by the way by 250,000 copies first week.

10,000 Days First Week will outsell Chillipeppers first week by 250,000 copies at least.

Lateralus has sold 2.3 Million in the USA and By They Way is at 1.1 Million.

TOOL has a bigger fan base now then the chillipeppers. Chillipeppers have sucked since Under The Bridge.
You very obviously don't listen to the Chili Peppers, or listen to the radio. Ever. The Chili Peppers are much more widely known and respected than Tool. Just because you think Tool is awsome doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks the same way. The Chili Pepers have twice as many albums as Tool. 10 more years, too. They released their first album in '82, Tool in '92. They've been around longer, had more time and more exposure than Tool, and thus have a bigger following (especially among older people). Tool appeals far more to teenage guys, like us. The Chili Peppers appeal to far more people. Their fanbase is undeniably much larger (especially throughout the entire world) than Tool's is.

Also, USA stats don't count for shit. I've said it once and I'll say it again: America is not the only place in the world that matters.

Also, I'd say Blood Sugar Sex Magik is on the same level as Californication., and I think most would agree with me. Hopefully Stadium Arcadium is more of a return to their roots, like stuff on Mother's Milk and BSSM. If that is the case, they're going to sell an amazing amount of albums. Even if its more like Californication and By the Way, it'll still sell a LOT.

I love Tool as much as you, but be realistic about it... Tool just isn't that big. Not as big as the Chili Peppers, anyway. The only thing thats going to hinder sales is the fact that SA is a double-disk, raising its price. Even so, my guess is 10,000 Days and SA will be incredibly close on sales.

Fap
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
America is not the only place in the world that matters.

Why do you hate freedom, Ocelot?

Ocelot199
03-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Why do you hate freedom, Ocelot?
... I honestly can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not. Care to elaborate?

Fap
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I was kidding, hoss.

edit: I also agree with your post #89.

Natalie Portman
03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Most likely Pearl Jam will have more sales, but musically -

Tool < all
I can't decide if you're retarded or if you just suck ass.

dissonance51765
03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
How do you guys think Tool's new album will sell compared to Pearl Jam's, which is being released on the same day? Not that it really matters, but it might be interesting to see if Tool tops the charts. Pearl Jam is at a point in their career where they're clearly past the height of their popularity, but its difficult to say. My friend who is obsessed with them says its supposed to be their best album in a long time. Its also difficult to say how many junior high kids are going to buy Tool's new album, since Tool is totally bitchin' rad and is their favorite band just behind Linkin Park.

On a related note, do you think Maynard could beat Eddie Vedder in a banana nut brittle bake-off?

a788
03-29-2006, 06:30 PM
this thread exists already

Wretched
03-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, this makes me need to jerk off again.

By the way, Tool are better and will sell better.

Pearl Jam are good though.

a788
03-29-2006, 06:33 PM
yeah, i bought both

Vicarious Penis
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Tool - Lateralus - 550,000 Copies Sold First Week. 2.3 Million As of right now.

Pearl Jam - Riot Act - 503,000 Copies Sold alltogether.

Wretched
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I plan to buy both when I go to Future Shop on May 2nd. Until then, I plan to masturbate a lot.

dissonance51765
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
this thread exists already

sorry. just forget about the album sales and focus on the banana nut brittle bake-off question.

Lamb & Martyr^
03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't believe Maynard cares for banana nut brittle.

CallofCthulhu
03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate Pearl Jam..........except for maybe two songs. The popularity of PJ has been waning for years, dont think their album will sell much better than the last.

Fap
03-29-2006, 06:56 PM
The bands aren't comparable.

On a related note, do you think Maynard could beat Eddie Vedder in a banana nut brittle bake-off?

Eddie makes his brittle with love, but Maynard uses real bananas.

ATARI
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
As much as I love Pearl Jam, I don't have high expacations for their new album. The mixing job on it SUCKS worse than Opiate. (Well, not in quality, but the drums are in the back of the mix and the guitar tone blows chunks)

phreak03
03-29-2006, 07:13 PM
i like Pearl jam, but Tool's gonna own the charts

dissonance51765
03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't believe Maynard cares for banana nut brittle.

That's where you're wrong. Didn't you know that "The Patient" is an allegory about waiting for banana nut brittle to cool? Besides, Blair mentions Maynard's passion for it in his newsletter from June 2000.

The recipe Maynard uses is written in German and is far superior to the American version prefered by Vedder. And I think we all know that the Germans were perfecting the art of banana nut brittle baking even before Columbus discovered the New World.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Tool's album will be #1 that week, without a doubt. I'm guessing in it will sell 400-500k copies the first week.

KJM
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
hmm, I've heard half of the new PJ album and it's not what everyone kept claiming it to be. I might buy it hear the rest but..right now..probably not.

HiPp_1
03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
PJ hasnt put out anything relivent in a long time. TOOL is going to be all over them and everyone else.

livingdecay
03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I really like "World Wide Suicide".

I think that if they market it well, it will sell decently.

It's not gonna compare to 10,000 days, though.

KJM
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
not that how many albums you sell means anything

intoaneye
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Tool's album will be #1 that week, without a doubt. I'm guessing in it will sell 400-500k copies the first week.
it will be more sales then lateralus by 15 to 25%.

KJM
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
do you have any idea how much that is? 25? lol

intoaneye
03-29-2006, 11:02 PM
do you have any idea how much that is? 25? lol
1/4 or quarter of the lateralus album.... Lateralus made alot of new Tool fans and all the old fans will buy the album its in the top 10 over a month away hmmm... i dunno how lateralus was doing a month away... do you know?

Nirvanaholic
03-30-2006, 03:59 AM
I think Tool's gonna be on top. With RHCP a close 2nd, and PJ hopefully third. Ideally i'd like to see PJ 2nd. I agree Riot Act wasn't too good, but the new single really grew on me, andd Unpemployable is a kickass track. This looks like it's gonna be their best record in years. RHCP have the double album factor working against them.

Happyfunball
03-30-2006, 05:04 AM
IF you're inclined to base anything off of the alternative best sellers list on Amazon, as of this morning Tool was #1, Pearl Jam was #10, and Red Hot Chili Peppers was #195.

Something else that's interesting too is that PJ and RHCP's new discs are both linked together so you can buy both for a reduced price if you'd like. Yet, PJ seems to be the only one possibly benefitting from that. Something tells me people are not using that option much.

I still stand by my earlier thought that RHCP's release being a double CD is going to hurt their overall unit sales. It's just very hard to get casual fans or people who only know/like one or two songs to buy 2 disc sets.

Light Reflections
03-30-2006, 05:25 AM
The Chili Peppers will, of course.

phishman1
03-30-2006, 06:25 AM
As much as I'd like as many people as possible to listen to Tool, I could care less where they're at on the charts. With all of the crap music that seems to dominate these charts, being in the top 10 (or whatever) is kind of a dubious honor....

Besides, the more 'popular' (ughhh...it's painful to even type that word) that Tool gets, the harder it is going to be to get tickets, and we'll have to put up with more and more assholes at shows that are there for the wrong reasons (moshing, beating people up, being drunk morons, etc...) Tool will then have to start playing bigger venues, which always sound "great"...

All in all, I prefer Tool to not get any more 'popular'. I see very little good that can come of it. Trust me...I'm a huge Phish fan and I got to see the pitfalls of their 'rise in popularity' first hand....it wasn't pretty.

phreak03
03-30-2006, 06:32 AM
yea i don't like seeing my Avril and Evenescence listening friends to listen to Tool

Alice In Chains
03-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Tool will definitely be #1 for their first week in competition with these two bands. They will sell atleast 500,000 copies. After that who knows, probably RHCP will sell more they are more mainstream in US and worldwide even if their sound has changed.

bshull2
03-30-2006, 08:07 AM
After a couple of weeks of viewing these three bands websites I've come to the realization that Tool really treats its fans like shit. Tool started talking about a this new album over a year ago and they haven't given us any real information. Even assuming the tracklisting/album title is real, we don't have a clue what the album will sound like while you can download the pearl jam single and hear part of the RHCP single. RHCP even has a 4 min video with the band members talking about how the single was written. Why does tool have to treat their fans like shit? Its shitty that we've been waiting 5 years for this album and the way tool repays us is to fuck with our heads and continue to no appreciate us.

KJM
03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
As annoying as I think tool can be, you're 10x worse.

The Village Too
03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
oh come on Tool doesn't owe us shit.

i occasionally feel the way you do but then I realize how all out they go in concert.

they don't show up drunk and retarded in ruin shit.

Windir
03-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Treat us like ... what? Are you serious?

Oh, I get it...

Hahahahahahahaha NO!

Karf
03-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Well, Pearl Jam has been, for the past 10 years, the biggest fan service band out there. So it's no surprise they are being real open about their new album. Tool, on the other hand, are not nearly as personable as most bands. They make the music for themselves, and if anyone else likes it, that's alright. Their mystique has always been as people who are not in the puiblic forefront -- they attempt to slither back into the shadows and let the music do the talking. And I'd assume every time Maynard sees or hears someone say "UR OUR GOD!!", he backs up a little more from us.

Bogart
03-30-2006, 08:22 AM
I disagree. Why do we have to know everything about the album, before it comes out? I dunno about everyone else, but I haven'tbeen waiting for this album for 5 years. Of course I am excited about their new album, but Tool doesn't owe its fans anything. They put out great music and that should be enough. They are only fucking with our heads to prevent leaks. And i'm sure Tool will put up some audio clips of the single before it is released; so quit crying about how Tool doesn't appreciate you, if you have been waiting for this album for 5 years, you can wait another month.

Boozy Eulogist
03-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Different Marketing Stratagies, Different Music.

Nebel
03-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Fear not, in about a week or so, the hype train is going to speed up and it's not going to stop

blair's man sausage
03-30-2006, 08:39 AM
After a couple of weeks of viewing these three bands websites I've come to the realization that Tool really treats its fans like shit. Tool started talking about a this new album over a year ago and they haven't given us any real information. Even assuming the tracklisting/album title is real, we don't have a clue what the album will sound like while you can download the pearl jam single and hear part of the RHCP single. RHCP even has a 4 min video with the band members talking about how the single was written. Why does tool have to treat their fans like shit? Its shitty that we've been waiting 5 years for this album and the way tool repays us is to fuck with our heads and continue to no appreciate us.

you mean tool doesn't love me?

StoneyB
03-30-2006, 08:53 AM

Tool is not here to convenience you, or the fans for that matter. If you really feel like comparing Tool to Pearl Jam and RHCP, and the ways they promote their albums, then go ahead. Least you forget, these bands are nowhere in the same ballpark. Pearl Jam have to promote their new record because it is the most important record of their career. RHCP need to promote because some fans had the idea that they broke up when Flea and Frusciante started playing shows with Mars Volta. Tool is a band about art and emotion, and if they feel like making us wait for some good info, then I'm sure it's for a good reason. This new album is going to be something special, and I'm sure they want to keep some of it a suprise (album art).

I can honestly say that I am as big a Tool fan as anyone, but unlike most people on this message board, I do not feel the urge to make an ass out of myself. It is alright to speculate, but trashing the band because they aren't catering to your needs is fucking stupid. Tool do not treat their fans like shit. Tool fans treat the band like a piece of corporate meat..."Give me a fucking single already!"

Tool is actually very good to their fans, but they are just people. Yes, they are people who make awesome, epic music, but they are just people. I don't think I've heard of anyone who has had a bad experience meeting anyone in the band.

Deoxy_Anomaly
03-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I can honestly say that I am as big a Tool fan as anyone, but unlike most people on this message board, I do not feel the urge to make an ass out of myself. It is alright to speculate, but trashing the band because they aren't catering to your needs is fucking stupid. Tool do not treat their fans like shit. Tool fans treat the band like a piece of corporate meat..."Give me a fucking single already!"

Tool is actually very good to their fans, but they are just people. Yes, they are people who make awesome, epic music, but they are just people. I don't think I've heard of anyone who has had a bad experience meeting anyone in the band.

In all my time spent lurking around this place, this is one of the rare and truthful posts that actually conveys a reality-based thought process. Sure, the argument could be made that without the fans there would be no band, but transitively, without the band, there would be no fans...

StoneyB
03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Thankyou Deoxy. Welcome to the boards.

Sketch Soland
03-30-2006, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=StoneyB]Tool.......but they are just people[QUOTE]

StoneyB
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Was that a correction?

phreak03
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Tool aren't people....they're GODS

StoneyB
03-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Is that your honest opinion?

phreak03
03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
not really...i'm just trying to get into the conversation lol :D

StoneyB
03-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh, ok. Hmmm... It looks like the conversation has died down a bit though.

phreak03
03-30-2006, 09:31 AM
i'm gonna get the tool album first, after like a month i'll get PJ and RHCP...i'm gonna be listening to tool non stop

thelambslain
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
There isn't even a question. Tool will easily become #1. No one likes Pearl Jam anymore so they're not even in the contest.

TheRealCoreyHaim
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Least you forget, these bands are nowhere in the same ballpark. Pearl Jam have to promote their new record because it is the most important record of their career.

Why do you say that Pearl Jam's new album is going to be the most important of their career?

Snakedragon
03-30-2006, 09:50 AM
if anything the fans owe tool for actually creating the outstanding, amazing music. Tool owes its fans nothing.

Snakedragon
03-30-2006, 09:57 AM
i say tool. they gained a lot of fans with lateralus and i'm pretty sure the new single will aid to the cause

Vicarious will decide whether tool get to no 1 or not.

If it is a groundbreaking track, it will sell 750,000+ worldwide in the 1st week,

if it's absolute shit, they may be lucky enough to sell 100,000

eddie75
03-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Vicarious will decide whether tool get to no 1 or not.

If it is a groundbreaking track, it will sell 750,000+ worldwide in the 1st week,

if it's absolute shit, they may be lucky enough to sell 100,000
I seriously doubt they'll be lucky to sell 100,000. Schisim wasn't exactly their best single and lateralus opened up at #1. They'll around the 500,000 to 750,000 mark on name alone

Ocelot199
03-30-2006, 10:00 AM
I think you've got the right idea, snakedragon. Systolic said that the new single isn't extremely accessable... whereas what I've heard of Dani California leads me to believe its the new Californication. Similar, anyway... its going to be huge.

And yeah, fuck Pearl Jam. I only put them in this thread because they're a semi-big band releasing at the same time as the other two... they're not going to come out number one on anything.

TOOL_Rules
03-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I totally agree, Snakedragon. But I would be shocked if it was shit. I think 750,000 is a good target for week one. If it goes platinum in the first 2-3 weeks the band will be so elated we may get a new CD by 2010. By the time they are finsihed as a band they will be on a plane with Zeppelin, Floyd, et al They aspire to be there and they know it's within their sights. This is going to be a monster of a CD. Counting the days...

phreak03
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
...we may get a new CD by 2010.

Didn't Danny says somewhere that we'll get another album a couple of years after this one?

Ocelot199
03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Thats what they said after Lateralus. They said, multiple times, to expect a new album in two years.

Its been 5.

moneyisevil
03-30-2006, 02:28 PM
although i like TOOL alot more than Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam has a way bigger fan base (an not as annoying) as Tool...my opinion on the RHCP is that since By The Way their releases have become more and more watered down, as i expect with this new release. Pearl Jam has yet to release in album in the last 3-4 years, so I expect this to be atleast #1. But remember, just because an album reaches #1, doesnt mean its any good

Animus X torsi
03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
if Tool's album is good it'll hit #1, regardless of the other two bands' success

phreak03
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
...just because an album reaches #1, doesnt mean its any good

yea your right, didn't St. Anger reach #1 too? i double pearl jam's gonna reach #1, my guess would be somewhere between #10 and #15

Animus X torsi
03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
st anger reaching #1 would justify the dissolving of the billboard company alltogether

Alex in Chains
03-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Thursday.

Nice.

I say Tool. I hope it's Tool. Pearl Jam -- while one of my all-time favorites -- are past their prime. And the Chili Peppers are FUCKING TERRIBLE.

pops333
04-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Tool will come in #3.

RHCP will sell a lot just because its an RHCP record. They'll be #1
Pearl Jam will be #2, they've had a single out for a while.
Tool hasn't released much and is still hush hush about the whole thing.

the_plumber
04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
PJ vs Tool...

Like them both, but I am a huge Pearl Jam fan. Excited about both new albums coming out ,will buy them both, but comparing the 2 camps is apples vs oranges. To clarify a few things about PJ that were in there...

The bootlegs. Not done to really make money (though I am sure they make a bit), were done because fans(myself included) would pay 60 - 100 bucks a cd for shitty recordings of their shows. BTW the double or somtimes triple Cd PJ have been releasing since the 2000 tour only cost 9.99...

The Benaroya Hall CD release, was done for charity actually...

Marketing - PJ Don't really do much promotion anymore, hence the Declining album sales. Looks like they might do a bit more this album, so we shall see how the sales go in a few weeks. They do have the #1 single right now, thinking that may be for another week until Vicarious drops.

PJ remains pretty much a fan/community oriented Band. They take care of the fan club, stay active in charities across the country and the like. I do not think they need the money at this point(they have sold 65mil+ albums). They have a very crazy loyal core fan base who travel all over to see them play. There are people who have seen them over 100 times(I will hit 50 this tour). They keep ticket prices reasonable, play a way different show everynight (100+ songs on their tour catalog usually), and pretty much sell out every show. Don't think this is a make or break album for them at all. They will are proud of , which will go at least gold even if they did 0 marketing, sell out a bunch of shows around the world, then disappear from the limelight for while....

Novus Opiate Seclorum
04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Im surprised people think a double album will work against the red hot chilli peppers.I think it will improve their chances,an average RHCP fan would probably shell out 10 extra dollars for two disks of music.Oh and i think tool are making a smart move waiting to release their single later than the norm,like someone already said the affect of pearl jam,and RHCP's new singles will wear out while tools will still be fresh.All three bands are good but tool are the best.

slicknickshady
04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Tool Easily. I know Tool and RHCP are not the same week but im just going to say Tools First Week will Sell more then RHCP first week. Compare each of there last albums First Week Sales.

Pearl Jam wont even challenge TOOL first week. Mobb Deep will be #2.

2and46
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'm showing my age, but I frankly don't care if they come out #1; and I doubt they do either. They'll sell their fair share of copies, and no one going into the poor house. The older I get, the less I care about billboard rankings, MTV, or what laundry detergent Maynard uses on his underwear. #1 would be great...but on May 2nd, all I'll care about is the record. Pure heaven.

By the way, anyone who is already "dissapointed" with the record because of artwork or title-names are blithering idiots. I am always amazed at the amount of savants we have on these boards who can make predictions based on a picture or a song named The Pot. I can't wait for the album to come out so these morons can just shut their mouths.

joshls
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I'll be buying all three.

NateDaTater
04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I voted for Tool.

However, there are currently over 400 people viewing the forums at Pearl Jam's website. Spend just five minutes browsing their forums and you will see that the maturity level there far surpasses the maturity level here. As cliched as that is to say to say that, it is refreshing. I have never had a bad experience with someone at a PJ concert, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting a bad first-hand impression of a band member. I have a lot of connections - friend's mom, friend's brother - to Eddie Vedder and Stone Gossard, though I've never actually met them, and they sound like really great guys. They are true humanitarians, and as much as people like to separate the band members from the music, to me, it's all one message.

When it comes to music, Tool beats Pearl Jam, hands down. Pearl Jam has a few fly-away songs that really capture me - In My Tree, Given To Fly, Betterman, Corduroy, Love Boat Captain - but as far as musicianship goes, anything off Lateralus beats the snot out of anything Pearl Jam has ever done, and the album as a whole beats any album PJ has ever done. PJ went experimental with Vitalogy and has been so ever since, and it's never really caught on. Some of it is, in my opinion, just not very good. But it is those fly-away songs, where they actually succeed that keep me coming back. Tool is locked into something musically so above and beyond anything else, something so original and GOOD, they're just incomparable to anybody else.

Perhaps it is because Tool has stayed in the shadows that they have given themselves the chance to make the music they have. Whatever the reason is, they are the best musicians. However, though I assosciate them with a lot of things I myself believe in, I have become somewhat disillusioned with them as a band with a message. It is unfortunate that their music is wasted on such immaturity (look around you at a Tool concert in America), but they put themselves there, to a certain degree. Perhaps that is the price you pay for being so damn good.

Adam Jones once made the comment that he thought Americans were a bunch of boneheads, and that other countries appreciate their music much more, and are a more receptive and respectful live audience. He then immediately attempted to cover his tracks by saying along the lines of, "But I consider myself a bonehead too, so..." (yes, he used the word "bonehead"). I think that is a very apt view on their fan base.

My point...? I want to see Pearl Jam have a breakout album. From what I've heard (World Wide Suicide), my hopes aren't too high. But they assosciate themselves with a type of music I would like to see the industry go towards. A more outreaching, involved image... one that combines music and image. If you're not going to combine the music and image, I guess what you do what Tool does. Whatever Tool is doing, the music is one-of-a-kind, but I really don't assosciate them with the

Red Hot Chili Peppers I never really got into, but I do like their music more than most active bands.

Sorry for the ramble...

slicknickshady
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
It seems the new peral jam leaked today, it could be fake. Who knows.

chonus
04-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Tool is at #4 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/music/all/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1/102-8050930-9596940

No way in icy hell that the chili peppers are gonna come close to outselling tool, letalone in the first month. They might, MIGHT, beat Pearl Jam.

Tunguska
04-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Pearl Jam`s new record kicks ass!!!
Tool`s record are still gonna kick jumbo ass!!!
Hail to the best band on earth

Kool-Aid
04-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Oh yeah!

whalethesecond
04-13-2006, 04:05 AM
it would be hilarious reading this thread after those charts come out, if pearl jam won

slicknickshady
04-13-2006, 04:18 AM
pearl jam wont come close, mobb deep will outsell pearl jam.

mattw
04-13-2006, 04:24 AM
it would be hilarious reading this thread after those charts come out, if pearl jam won

Lateralus sold 550,000 copies in its first week!

Pearl Jam's Riot Act has sold 500,000 copies in total...

No disrespect to Pearl Jam (I like them!) but Tool should kick their arse!

PoonTaco
04-13-2006, 04:40 AM
Tool will easily get the #1 spot.
There is NO doubt in my mind.

sinister exaggerator
04-13-2006, 05:35 AM
i hate to say it. but i chose RCP. they are such a commercially huge band they always debut at #1. i do think theres a strong possibility that RCP will debut at 1, but Tool will take their place soon after

yes but keidis sounds like a wild boar being sodomised by a rampant bull on acid

chonus
04-17-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/music/all/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1/102-8050930-9596940

Tool is at # 2 on Amazon.

varg
04-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Chili Peppers = Horrible, mainstream rock.
Tool = clever music that has something to say.

People of the earth = Horrible, mainstream idiots.
Toolfans = clever people open to music that has something to say.

You do the math.

lateralusman462
04-17-2006, 08:38 AM
All I have to say about RHCP is...

PLEASE NO MORE CALIFONIA SONGS!

Anyone else think Flea and John F(?) should quit RHCP and commit themselves to The Mars Volta?

varg
04-17-2006, 08:44 AM
[no]

bigtard
04-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Adam Jones once made the comment that he thought Americans were a bunch of boneheads, and that other countries appreciate their music much more, and are a more receptive and respectful live audience.

I've done extensive travelling internationally and I've never noticed that they appreciate music more. I'm not even sure what appreciating music more would mean.

NateDaTater
04-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I've done extensive travelling internationally and I've never noticed that they appreciate music more. I'm not even sure what appreciating music more would mean.

By appreciating the music more, I would guess that he meant people in other countries don't throw stuff as much, or try to get on the stage as much, or insult them from the crowd as much, or try to kill each other in the mosh pits as much as they do here.

NateDaTater
04-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Chili Peppers = Horrible, mainstream rock.
Tool = clever music that has something to say.

People of the earth = Horrible, mainstream idiots.
Toolfans = clever people open to music that has something to say.

You do the math.

Tool fans are clever people? I always got the impression that there were just as many moronic fans following Tool as anybody else. Not all Tool fans pick up on the depth and intricacy of the music.

... if you were being sarcastic, I apologize.

hbynoe
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
i have no clue but i hope tool kills all of them
i will only be buying tool....until...well i guess the new radiohead

Keyser_OGT
04-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I think the US is the only country where Tool has wide popularity.

Probably one of the wrongest things I've read in these forums for ages... Tool are fucking huge down here, and as someone else said, they're bigger in NZ per head of population than they are anywhere else in the world.

I'm thinking Tool will be # 1 for the first week, but RHCP will probably have longer staying power - They're due a big album, and that Dani California song is way better than anything that was on By The Way, and has a sweet video.

Window Licker
04-23-2006, 09:22 PM
RHCP has a broader appeal. I think they'll eventually pull ahead. But, like others have mentioned, they haven't had as much commercial success recently.

DRoehl
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
not trying to incite anything but the chili peppers are fucking god awful. imo one of the most overrated bands ever... I am sure that all you peeps from Ca will disagree but i guess thats understandable considering the chilis bascally create your states soundtrack. is it just me or is everyone of thier songs about Ca??? i really fucking hate them.... well love rollercoaster was pretty good

DRoehl
04-23-2006, 10:25 PM
i have no clue but i hope tool kills all of them
i will only be buying tool....until...well i guess the new radiohead

i need some new radiohead!!!