PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing...

NoD
03-18-2006, 11:42 PM
...how tool's new release doesn't even feel like a music cd, but almost like an event within itself. More like an experience. It's a double edged sword for them to have made lateralus the journey that it was....as much as you don't want to anticipate the same experience from the new album, it's hard not to. The bar has been set unbelievably high. I kind of feel for the band just out of respect (getting past all the consumerism bullshit) knowing they're going to take shit no matter how good the new album will be.

lachrymoIogy
03-18-2006, 11:46 PM
yeah...

Grudge76
03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
i think that a lot of people are going to be very dissapointed

the record will be epic, and in time will settle into its own place in everyones hearts.

I just think theres way too much resting on it for a lot of people... its 70 minutes of music.

tDoXoMl
03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
yeah...

i hope this cd inspires me to stop being a lazy ass

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Word

ethos
03-18-2006, 11:56 PM
...how tool's new release doesn't even feel like a music cd, but almost like an event within itself. More like an experience. It's a double edged sword for them to have made lateralus the journey that it was....as much as you don't want to anticipate the same experience from the new album, it's hard not to. The bar has been set unbelievably high. I kind of feel for the band just out of respect (getting past all the consumerism bullshit) knowing they're going to take shit no matter how good the new album will be.

Well, aren't you a deep thinker...

Anomaly
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
QUITE the theep dinker.

NoD
03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
No, VERY deep thinker...

Ryan
03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
it's going to suck when the album ends and we're like... all this build up, and it's over.

Anomaly
03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
all good things come to an egg

Ryan
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
i like eggs.

NoD
03-19-2006, 12:14 AM
...AND NO EGGS

Idiotica
03-19-2006, 12:15 AM
anything to distract me from the pain of living is welcome

idontmind462
03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
I almost don't want the new album to come out...

It's like a part of me will die.

Idiotica
03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
probably the part of you that hasn't heard the album.

NoD
03-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Just think, this might be their last album before our trans dimensional reptilian overlords arrive for 2012....I think we should all savor this last month of anticipation.

Idiotica
03-19-2006, 12:23 AM
someone call the band and kindly ask them not to release the album

flipmojo
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM

After Undertow, every Tool release has been an event in my life. I always love the day the albums come out. I walk into the store with a big grin knowing I will be walking out with something great. Every Tool album has changed me in some way; much like my first mushroom experience, my marriage, my college education, and the first time I swam with sea turtles.

I won't be comparing the new album to Lateralus - or any Tool album for that matter. I will listen to it as 'the new Tool album'. The rest will be history.

Hatless
03-19-2006, 12:30 AM
If the new Tool album is anything like the previous records then I don't see how it coming to an end could be a bad thing; all the other albums have ended several times over and I'm still not tired of them.

Anticipation usually warps the actual experience for me. so I'm trying my best not to lose sleep over the release.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 03:25 AM
<--Agrees with hatless.

The beauty in knowing we're dealing with a band that will put out an album that warrants several hundred listens (if not thousands) certainly sustains the excitement over this new release. It's like a new underwater maze to dive into and get lost in just five or six weeks away. I feel myself mentally making room for this new record.

hateAliases
03-19-2006, 03:59 AM
i think the ones who are not going to like "the new release" are the ones, who take lateralus as a basis for things to come. i hope everyone will enjoy the new stuff with no lateralus-expectation, allthough its an unbelievable piece of art.

delysid
03-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Its a huge event to me. I'm almost more excited about it than a lot of the things I really get excited about and look forward to, which are mostly concerts. I always think to myself how fucking cool it would have been to be in some room somewhere when Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here came out, and listening to it with a bunch of stoner friends, for the first time. The reactions from the first listen of that album when it came out were probably priceless. I don't want to pass up an oppurtunity like that here in 2006 with Tool.

I will reserve at least 4 hours out of that day to listen to it and get high. After listening to it once, I might call some friends over to it listen to again and again.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
03-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Its kinda like the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series. Once they won, their mystique was lost. But after this album, the TOOL mystique will only be hidden away in Camella's underwear drawer until 5 years from now when TOOL releases another cd - IF they release another cd.

Paradigm619
03-19-2006, 07:04 AM
5 years from now when TOOL releases another cd - IF they release another cd.

I wouldn't bet on it.

They're gonna be almost 50 by then.

IC
03-19-2006, 07:16 AM
I kind of feel for the band just out of respect (getting past all the consumerism bullshit) knowing they're going to take shit no matter how good the new album will be.
thats a good point. I wish people would lighten up around here and just take it for what it is. (or will be)

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 07:28 AM
i wonder if tool will go out with a bang or slowly fade away; i hope they dont end up like the rolling stones

DWdrummer
03-19-2006, 08:02 AM
I do. I hope when the band is 60+ that they still make music.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 08:04 AM
but not rely on their old status to keep peoples respect

docder
03-19-2006, 08:08 AM
but not rely on their old status to keep peoples respect

Some examples!?

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 08:09 AM
the stones suck now in my opinion, but people tolerate them and still see them in concert just because of how they used to be, not how good they are now

docder
03-19-2006, 08:12 AM
yes, but don't you think what you're asking for is unrealistic?

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 08:17 AM
its not necessarily realistic but it would be nice, hence why i said i hope

EulogyCallinMe
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM
i like eggs.
i also enjoy eggs! ha, maybe with some beef bacon an english muffin and a cup of coffee. damnit, now i want breakfast.
and if you have never had beef bacon, i suggest you have some, its a life changing experience.

a788
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
(preface:
Nod: as much as i have a sucky first impression of you because of your imput in the Crash thread....)

i agree with you

KJM
03-19-2006, 11:16 AM

the record will be epic, and in time will settle into its own place in everyones hearts.

I just think theres way too much resting on it for a lot of people... its 70 minutes of music.

yea kind of like lateralus...oh wait no..I hated lateralus.

'doh!

a788
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
yea kind of like lateralus...oh wait no..I hated lateralus.

'doh!
[no]

KJM
03-19-2006, 11:55 AM
saying [no] didn't actually do or change anything. just in case you..for some reason thought otherwise.

Animus X torsi
03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
i've read that post in windir's sig and still i dont understand what the significance of [no] is

a788
03-19-2006, 12:02 PM
thank you mcroggles

RedVilliam
03-19-2006, 01:16 PM
anything to distract me from the pain of living is welcome
life is pain, only through pain do we grow, learn, and evolve

a788
03-19-2006, 01:40 PM
words from the wise

well put noobie

dracomordag
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
this record will be so different

and so familiar

some people will stay on board

some people will jump ship

Octopod
03-19-2006, 05:09 PM
True, Draco.

Every album divides the herd.

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
only if you believe you're part of a herd.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
As long as you consume the same product, you're part of a herd. Sorry.

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
haha, no. you can categorize yourself however you want. but it really doesn't make it true for everyone else.

universal truths don't have to be repeated or said outloud because they are already understood.

STA
03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
universal truths don't have to be repeated or said outloud because they are already understood.

That 7,901 is a prime number is a universal truth, but it's not something that needn't be said aloud or repeated in the way you describe, and it's certainly not something that everyone understands.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Denial is beautiful.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
That 7,901 is a prime number is a universal truth, but it's not something that needn't be said aloud or repeated in the way you describe, and it's certainly not something that everyone understands.

Nice point. I will add that some universal truths do, in fact, bear repeating because some folks insist on repeating the same stupid mistakes. Just look at human history.

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:31 PM
it's a mathmatical truth. I see a difference

You want to group everyone who doesn't listen to one album out of 50 million. that's cool. it's a bit over the top and absurd. frankly, stupid and a waste of time as well. but hey, go for it.

we're in a herd. and if you don't like yellow polka dots on shoes --yea I'm lookin you're way -- we've got a herd for you too.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 05:46 PM
You want to group everyone who doesn't listen to one album out of 50 million. that's cool. it's a bit over the top and absurd. frankly, stupid and a waste of time as well. but hey, go for it.

I'm not saying we're "all the same" under the Tool umbrella. I was simply saying that there are some old fans who liked a previous album that won't like the new one as much. It's happened with every album they've released.

You want to overreact to that by demanding separation from my "overt" definition of Tool fans, then fine. That's cool. You're a spectacular individual, and now everyone knows. I can't even believe we never noticed before.

Can we move on now that you've expressed your uniqueness?

TurdEye13
03-19-2006, 05:50 PM
this record will be so different

and so familiar

some people will stay on board

some people will jump ship

yeah, like all those who jumped ship after "Lateralus"

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm not saying we're "all the same" under the Tool umbrella. I was simply saying that there are some old fans who liked a previous album that won't like the new one as much. It's happened with every album they've released.

You want to overreact to that by demanding separation from my "overt" definition of Tool fans, then fine. That's cool. You're a spectacular individual, and now everyone knows. I can't even believe we never noticed before.

Can we move on now that you've expressed your uniqueness?

Sure. You're the one who wanted to insist the matter. I just said I wasn't in a herd. As far as me as an individual goes, I'm saying no one here has to be in the herd. Saying I crush imagination? I think not so much here.

panta
03-19-2006, 05:55 PM
i hope this cd inspires me to stop being a lazy ass
me too, I need it.

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Yea, I'm right there. I feel inspired a lot to be active but, that doesn't seem to sustain. Good music makes me want to play like no one's business. It never holds. It'd be nice if this cd could keep that motivation going.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Saying I crush imagination? I think not so much here.

That was another thread.

Seriously, though, how can you not be part of the Tool herd? Tool is a massive religion. What have they sold, 8 million records? The Jehovah's witnesses only have like 7 million members. Tool fans memorize their lyrics like scripture. They travel from miles away to "gather up" and listen to a "reverend". They sing along to the words, like hymns, or at least know them by heart before the Reverend even sings them. They revere the band members and their abilities as almost God-like entities. They argue over the meaning of the "scriptural text". They have spiritual epiphanies with regards to the band's presentation and recognize some or all of the symbolism inherent there, just as religionists do to fundamental church rites. They pay tithes for merchandise. They saturate themselves in the music and ethos as any religious person would. They even keep their Tool records and other items in a special place in their room.

Do you fall into this category of fan to any degree? Even if you don't particularly like the album Lateralus, do you know most of the lyrics, art, and videos? I'm betting you do, and whether you want to defy categorization or not, the truth of the matter is that you and I share some common threads through our saturation in the art of this band. If they sat any twelve Tool Navy members in a room and asked them to list the records and tracks in order, or write down the lyrics to a particular song, or play a game of "name that video", all of them would perform well. Just like any congregation of any church, or any sheep on the planet.

Exoskeletal
03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Except for one thing... TOOL ideology has no dogmas. No God but the energy wich flows in universe, all the living beings, which is the same that exists in each human being. And it's up to you to find the truth and knowledge in yourself. Maynard can only guide you in that process. It's up to you to think for yourself and stop being another sheep. If you turn to be another fanatic, I guess you dont understand TOOL at all...
I admire TOOL for their creativity and knowledge, I identify my own ideology within it. All I have to do is offer them respect and be gratefull for their masterpieces. An artist can't be an artist if he isn't acknoledged by others.

kickstandjesus
03-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Except for one thing... TOOL ideology has no dogmas. No God but the energy wich flows in universe, all the living beings, which is the same that exists in each human being. And it's up to you to find the truth and knowledge in yourself. Maynard can only guide you in that process. It's up to you to think for yourself and stop being another sheep. If you turn to be another fanatic, I guess you dont understand TOOL at all...
I admire TOOL for their creativity and knowledge, I identify my own ideology within it. All I have to do is offer them respect and be gratefull for their masterpieces. An artist can't be an artist if he isn't acknoledged by others.I think you are right and that their message, is a call to action, to wake up.....

Exoskeletal
03-19-2006, 09:37 PM
This a really harsh statement without knowing the members in person for a long time.
"As a fundamental element of religion, the term "dogma" is assigned to those theological tenets which are considered to be well demonstrated, such that their proposed disputation or revision effectively means that a person no longer accepts the given religion as his or her own."

"The term dogmatism carries the implication that people are upholding their beliefs in an unthinking and conformist fashion."

It's obviously my interpretation of it. I believe they have a very open minded ideology constantly adapting to themselfs and evoluting without defining barriers. Of course they must have their guidelines... such as misticism.

Octopod
03-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Except for one thing... TOOL ideology has no dogmas.

Really? Then answer me this: Would you buy a Tool album without listening to it? There is an unproven (and basically unspoken) principle among many Tool fans that any full-length album they release is worth buying without so much as a single test listen. I bet this even extends to some of the fans who hated Lateralus who hope that 10,000 Days will be a return to form... many of them will buy it even though they are afraid it will resemble Lateralus too much. There's an element of faith and hope there. There's also an element of faith and hope in the belief that purchasing a ticket to see them live will lead one to a transcendent experience. Not everyone believes that, but enough do implicitly to qualify it as dogma.

Tool may not claim any universal authority or truth, but that enough of their fans grant them a set of such qualities within the vehicle of fanatacism doesn't leave much difference in the effect they will have over popular culture in the next year or two when compared to the experience and profitability of religion. It's just a different text and a different set of beliefs. And I honestly can't wait.

Natalie Portman
03-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Denial is beautiful.
Seems it had to come.

kickstandjesus
03-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Think of David Lynch's films and and Tool's Album's....what is similar here

immyowndamngod
03-20-2006, 01:04 AM
yes.... poop does eat the farmer........ and the carrots will have their revenge :)

kickstandjesus
03-20-2006, 01:05 AM
yes.... poop does eat the farmer........ and the carrots will have their revenge :)yes

Natalie Portman
03-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Think of David Lynch's films and and Tool's Album's....what is similar here
wrong thread?

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Nat, loved your rap performance on SNL.

Exoskeletal
03-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Really? Then answer me this: Would you buy a Tool album without listening to it?.
No, I will dl it first or listen it somewhere, then I will take my own conclusions and if it pleases me, I will buy it and listen to it over and over again, not as a dogma but as an experience I can explore without limits. Maybe I'm being a bit dogmatic because this applies to Lateralus and all their previous albuns, of course my expectations are high and I can't wait for it also.
You have a good point of view, but its us, the masses, who create those dogmas. We create those highly expectations because we simply believe they can make something beautifull and transcendental as they did before. But we dont take what they offer just because it's Tool, It's what within it, it's what we can learn from it. You question them dont't you? What are they trying to say to me? What can I learn from it? And then you come to realize your own identity in it. I've never been disapointed, thats why I have faith. It's we who define those dogmas, not them. It's not that they want a legion behind them believing blindly what they are saying, thats why each one of us sees them in different ways.
It's not a matter of mass control, it's a matter of mass liberation by acknoledging yourself and your humanity.

Wretched
03-20-2006, 06:31 AM
I am excited for the album. I've loved every album in a strange way, and this'll be the first time I'm old enough to REALLY enjoy the albums release day. I have no expectations. I expect it to be heavy, but I don't expect it to sound a particular way. As long as it sounds like Tool, I'm happy.

Ancalagon
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
"It's not a matter of mass control, it's a matter of mass liberation by acknoledging yourself and your humanity."

Any religious dogmatist would say the same. Face it, boys, music (and sports) fans are like cults. That's fine; collective identity is ok sometimes if you are bonded by common interest (or belief).

toolloot
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM

The band are probably aware of that so perhaps they tried even harder to get an amazing album out that won't disappoint?

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 10:19 AM
...and it's more like 80 minutes of music.

zenkinet
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
life is pain, only through pain do we grow, learn, and evolve
then die...

Exoskeletal
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Any religious dogmatist would say the same. Face it, boys, music (and sports) fans are like cults. That's fine; collective identity is ok sometimes if you are bonded by common interest (or belief).
Indeed, its a matter of culture and identity. If you can keep of your own identity, learn and evolve from that by yourself and take your own conclusions its great, but if you fall into fanatism, you will lose yourself.
You have to recognize them as only "tools" for transmiting a message, wich will have different effects and interpretations on us all. Thats the difference between art and religion. And that's what I'm trying to say... don't turn TOOL into a religion, its a form of art and an inspiration to us all.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo
03-20-2006, 01:51 PM
omg, it's so amazing

Octopod
03-20-2006, 03:15 PM
No, I will dl it first or listen it somewhere, then I will take my own conclusions and if it pleases me, I will buy it and listen to it over and over again, not as a dogma but as an experience I can explore without limits.

I admire your intent to explore without limits, and I fully appreciate the desire to not have buyers remorse after dropping a jackson on an album. I also tend to listen to albums before I buy them, I must admit. But this opportunity, to buy an album on faith, is getting more and more rare these days. I think there is a certain sense of excitement and a legitimate bolt of lightning that comes from buying a record on gut feeling, and having the record deliver. It almost makes me shake and crash my car from excitement when I take a chance on an album and it ends up being good.

I enjoy fanatacism. I know it can be an emotional roller coaster, and that the low from being disappointed by 10,000 Days would be devastating, but I'm willing to risk it for the charge of having faith affirmed. I'm willing to let dogma play it's little game. Playing it safe at this point just seems too boring, imo.

dracomordag
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
this thread took an interesting twist