PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 cds

chonus
03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
How many are you going to buy?

I'm going to buy one for each of my friends and family members.

Tool has given us a lot, and I want to thank them by helping them get the top of the charts, and I want show the people in my life that I care about them.

My mom hates Tool because of my passion for them. I think they're holy, she thinks they're satanic. I'm dedicating Wings for Marie to her, and hopefully she'll see the light and wear the Tool hoodie I buy her from the upcoming tour.

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm buying one. But i'm taking at least two of my friends, they'll be buying it too.

Alex

Nebel
03-18-2006, 10:39 AM
buying two, and maybe an extra copy for a friend.

a788
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
How many are you going to buy?

I'm going to buy one for each of my friends and family members.

Tool has given us a lot, and I want to thank them by helping them get the top of the charts, and I want show the people in my life that I care about them.

My mom hates Tool because of my passion for them. I think they're holy, she thinks they're satanic. I'm dedicating Wings for Marie to her, and hopefully she'll see the light and wear the Tool hoodie I buy her from the upcoming tour.

why would u buy music for your mom who thinks its satanic?

chonus
03-18-2006, 10:44 AM
why would u buy music for your mom who thinks its satanic?

prying open her third eye...

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 10:46 AM

use a chisel.

TheRuleOfThree
03-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Or even better...

You don't know what "Wings for Marie" is about. Why would you say you were going to dedicate it if you have yet to hear it?

Andorion
03-18-2006, 10:51 AM
I'd say "one" but I've bought about 3-4 of each previous album, for various reasons, so probably more than one :)

tooldude
03-18-2006, 10:57 AM
lol people actually said theyre not gonna buy it at all...whats up with that

Believer
03-18-2006, 11:05 AM
one becuase im not crazy.

ATARI
03-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I've only bought one oe of the previous ones, so probably only one. (How do you people go through CDs so fast? ex: I've been playing my Aenima for forever, and I got it used, and it still plays as well as ever)

Andorion
03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
one becuase im not crazy.

I'm not crazy, but shit happens like the following:

I take my CDs to europe, they get scratched, buy new ones. I buy Lateralus for myself and my brother, he doesn't like it, I have two copies. I find myself in Canada with a rental car and no CDs, so I pick up a copy of Undertow at some local music store so I have music to listen to.

STA
03-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I buy Lateralus for myself and my brother, he doesn't like it, I disown him.

Fixed.

ATARI
03-18-2006, 11:18 AM

I take my CDs to europe, they get scratched, buy new ones. I buy Lateralus for myself and my brother, he doesn't like it, I have two copies. I find myself in Canada with a rental car and no CDs, so I pick up a copy of Undertow at some local music store so I have music to listen to.

This is what CD-Rs are for

Believer
03-18-2006, 11:19 AM

yeah but add becuase i think they're holy, i want to help them reach the top of the charts and i want show people in my life that i care about them. then (sorry for me thinking so) i think you're crazy. but that's just me.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
yeah but add becuase i think they're holy, i want to help them reach the top of the charts and i want show people in my life that i care about them. then (sorry for me thinking so) i think you're crazy. but that's just me.

That's ok.

I may be crazy, I dunno yet.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:25 AM

and you call yourself Believer....

Believer
03-18-2006, 11:30 AM
whats wrong with my name?

;(

pki2003
03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I bought 18 copies of Lateralus...... I've got 4 of Aenima, 2 a piece of Undertow/Opiate + vinyl

s ti N Kfizt
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
lol people actually said theyre not gonna buy it at all...whats up with that
funny people, shit.. i should have voted that option too.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:36 AM
whats wrong with my name?

;(

you don't believe.

nothing wrong with the name, itself.

Believer
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
so be it.

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm only gonna get one.

Tool won't top the charts, no matter how many you buy. They're going to be competing with the Chili Peppers's new release... theres no way they can sell more copies than the Chili Peppers. Everybody I know owns at least one of their albums... its almost impossible not to, or something.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm only gonna get one.

Tool won't top the charts, no matter how many you buy. They're going to be competing with the Chili Peppers's new release... theres no way they can sell more copies than the Chili Peppers. Everybody I know owns at least one of their albums... its almost impossible not to, or something.

This shit is on!

Chili Peppers vs. Tool

Somebody's gettin' served.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
theres no way they can sell more copies than the Chili Peppers.

How about a friendly wager?

Say, 10,000 bucks?

or just for fun...

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Are you dense? The Chili Peppers are far wider-known band. They get so much radio time its comparable to Green Day (only they're one of the best bands ever, unlike Green Day). Many more people are interested in the Chili Pepper's far-reaching music than they are Tool's limited fanbase (no offense to Tool, of course).

Also, the Chili Peppers are currently promoting their album all out (unlike another band I can think of), so many more people are going to be ready for it to release, while most of the world is going to be ignorant to Tool's new release.

Theres no contest, my friend... none at all. I'm going to be buying both on their release date, anyway. Kind of cool that two of my favorite bands are releasing long-awaited album within a week of each other.

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:50 AM
so, the friendly wager is on?

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't have 10,000 bucks to bet you.

How about 10,000 Mark D points?

chonus
03-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't have 10,000 bucks to bet you.

How about 10,000 Mark D points?

Mark D points it is, whatever they are.

you're on little buddy.

chonus
03-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Are you dense? The Chili Peppers are far wider-known band. They get so much radio time its comparable to Green Day (only they're one of the best bands ever, unlike Green Day). Many more people are interested in the Chili Pepper's far-reaching music than they are Tool's limited fanbase (no offense to Tool, of course).

I'm not buying it.

Do you, personally, think the Chili Peppers are better than Tool. (no judgements, just curious)

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-18-2006, 12:05 PM
What's wrong with you people? New Tool CD is May 2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers is May 9. Tool will own May 2. Unless your going by the theory that they will delay the release a week which I disagree with it.

solidabyss
03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
i going to best buy with a mob of tool fans and we will buy all the copies they got

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
03-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm buying one. That is all. You people are crazy.
This woman knows what's up.

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not buying it.

Do you, personally, think the Chili Peppers are better than Tool. (no judgements, just curious)
There is no comparison, really. They're both the best in their genres, so... I can't say one is objectively better overall than the other.

My point is that more people like the Chili Peppers than the people that like Tool. Both are big bands, but the Chili Peppers are FAR more reaching (for example, my German friend was listening to a mix CD he had brought from home last time he came to visit, and 3 or 4 of the songs were the Chili Peppers.

I'm sure they'll end up selling more copies of Stadium Arcadium than Tool will of 10,000 Days. Their audience is bigger.

What's wrong with you people? New Tool CD is May 2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers is May 9. Tool will own May 2. Unless your going by the theory that they will delay the release a week which I disagree with it.
I dunno how those charts work, but I thought we were talking about more than just one week stats. Of course Tool is going to dominate the first week; they have no competition.

M. Sagro
03-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I'll just buy one. Then run home and rip it to my comp so if it gets scratched up, it's always on my comp. Huzzah!

flipmojo
03-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I will download the leak as soon as it becomes available. Then on May 2nd, I will proably by two copies - one for myself and one for my brother. Later on down the road, I could end up buying more for new friends. Who knows? I can't wait for the leak though.

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 12:50 PM
one, but if there 3 versions with different covers i'll buy all 3.

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Tool will sell more, Tool will debuet #1. Book it.

"Lateralus easily bested the first-week sales figures of #2 Missy
Elliott's Miss E ... So Addictive, selling 555,000 compared with
Elliott's 251,000, according to SoundScan. The #1 album will mark
Tool's highest debut and biggest-selling week ever; their second
album, Aenima, debuted at #2 in 1996."

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers last album "By the way" peaked at number 2 with first-week sales of nearly 300,000 copies".

So BOOOOOO-YA Ocelot199.

rsh
03-18-2006, 01:05 PM
[no]

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
TOOL is Bigger then the red hot chilli peppers. It's a given.

Indrid Cold
03-18-2006, 01:09 PM
I'll buy one. If it has cool artwork though like my Ænima cd that cracks on the front when you drop a book on it then ill have to by another like i did...lol

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 01:10 PM
You're totally naive if you believe that.

You also don't listen to any radio stations, do you?

STA
03-18-2006, 01:11 PM

The Chili Peppers' last two albums sold 22 million copies combined. I hardly think it's a "given" that Tool is the bigger band.

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Ah we are talking usa here. there last 2 albums have not sold 22 million in the usa. "Lateralus" sold more in the USA then "By the way" did.

chonus
03-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Lateralus > By The Way

by the way...

TurdEye13
03-18-2006, 01:16 PM

zenkinet
03-18-2006, 01:26 PM
1 to open...
1 to keep...

stinkfish
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Download it, just like I do with all my albums. If it holds the two month test (doesn't suck after two months like WITH THEET) i'll buy one copy that i'll probably never even use.

zenkinet
03-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Download it, just like I do with all my albums. If it holds the two month test (doesn't suck after two months like WITH THEET) i'll buy one copy that i'll probably never even use.
I like packaging... thats my thing.

Nebel
03-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Sorry to say but Red Hot Chilli Peppers will definitely outsell the new album, they're a good band but they're hugely popular and are marketing the shit out of the new album, they even got a trailer fer God sakes. If you think otherwise it's (blind) faith. I'm sure it'll debut number 1 (it has to even beat Pearl Jam) and it's not like Tool are constantly marketing the new album, they've been really hush hush in order to avoid leaks. I haven't seen much advertising anywhere.

zenkinet
03-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Sorry to say but Red Hot Chilli Peppers will definitely outsell the new album, they're a good band but they're hugely popular and are marketing the shit out of the new album, they even got a trailer fer God sakes. If you think otherwise it's (blind) faith. I'm sure it'll debut number 1 (it has to even beat Pearl Jam) and it's not like Tool are constantly marketing the new album, they've been really hush hush in order to avoid leaks. I haven't seen much advertising anywhere.
you have a point.

stinkfish
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM

nothing to feel sorry about, it's their own fault. the balls in their court.

Ryan
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
probably about 10, depending on how many different import versions exist.

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Glad someone else has the sense to see it this way.

I think Tool will end up outselling Pearl Jam, though, just because I think Pearl Jam sucks and needs to not be better than Tool. I might have to cry if that happens :(

Happyfunball
03-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Glad someone else has the sense to see it this way.

I think Tool will end up outselling Pearl Jam, though, just because I think Pearl Jam sucks and needs to not be better than Tool. I might have to cry if that happens :(

Pearl Jam doesn't sell nearly the same numbers that they once did, something I believe they've commented on as saying they are actually happy with. That said, I'm hearing more about the upcoming Pearl Jam disc than I am about Tool OR the Chili Peppers. In fact, I've heard absolutely nothing about the new Peppers release save for what I've personally dug up on my own.

Contrast back to Pearl Jam, their first single is already out and in heavy rotation. It's also drawing pretty good buzz just for being a decent tune and the DJs themselves are talking it up quite a bit. In fact, by the time May 2nd comes around there's a good chance they'll have already offered a second song for airplay which, if it's good as well, will only lend itself to even better sales.

The new Chili Peppers release is a double CD which usually (but not always) means only hardcore fans of the band will make a first week purchase on it UNLESS they manage to keep the price comparable to single disc releases. I happen to like a lot of RHCP tunes, but also find myself dis-liking a lot as well. They are much more hit-n-miss for me. The "Dani California" clip sounds good, but even if it were just a single disc I'm not sure I'd buy it until I heard more. This being a 2-disc set then pretty much seals it for me.

flipmojo
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't know why you guys are fighting about the chili peppers. They are not putting an album out on the 2nd of May. I believe theirs comes out the following week (May 9th).

Tool will be competing with Pearl Jam and Jewel for #1 the week of May 2nd.

tentonmantra
03-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I believe Tool, Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam have different audiences. There are some fellas that like all the bands, but those are different bands.
The only band getting money from me is Tool, and not much money I tell you.

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Guys Red Hot Chilli Peppers wont outsell tool. look at each of there last albums sales.

"Lateralus easily bested the first-week sales figures of #2 Missy
Elliott's Miss E ... So Addictive, selling 555,000 compared with
Elliott's 251,000, according to SoundScan. The #1 album will mark
Tool's highest debut and biggest-selling week ever; their second
album, Aenima, debuted at #2 in 1996."

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers last album "By the way" peaked at number 2 with first-week sales of nearly 300,000 copies".

READ IT!

TOOL IS BIGGER!

PWNED!

Leandrenos
03-18-2006, 03:54 PM
If your all so intent on buying more than one could you buy me one 2? Save me some money.......

stinkfish
03-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I love the mentality of the tool fans. "for every album you won't buy, i'll buy two".

hardcore

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Alls i know is that i'm probably not going to Download leaks if they become available close to the release- why spoil the experience with a few sketchy downloads?

Also, i think that half the Tool experience is Artwork/Ideas, so having just a few files saying "tool track 1.mp3" and the like on my desktop would be no comparitive to holding he booklet and case in my hands.

just my thoughts

Alex

Leandrenos
03-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Alls i know is that i'm probably not going to Download leaks if they become available close to the release- why spoil the experience with a few sketchy downloads?

Alex

What about downloading the single?

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 04:13 PM
What about downloading the single?

I intend to buy it anyway, so again, i'd rather have a CD quality single than probably a sketchy quality hasty rip uploaded by someone deperate to be the first to do so.

Alex

10000 Stinkfist Pushits
03-18-2006, 04:16 PM
i forgot itunes is around this day in age so i'll probably download the single from there if tool does the itunes thing.

Leandrenos
03-18-2006, 04:17 PM
What if Tool suddenly change their mind and put the whole cd on their site for free...?

stinkfish
03-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Also, i think that half the Tool experience is Artwork/Ideas, so having just a few files saying "tool track 1.mp3" and the like on my desktop would be no comparitive to holding he booklet and case in my hands.

just my thoughts

Alex

"sketchy"? the sound quality of the mp3 rips now days are identical to the CD. HALF the experience is from the artwork? I wish I enjoyed a bunch of obsceru images as much as you do. Must've been a long time since you've downloaded music. Now days rips are actually titled with the correct track name and included with images of the artwork.

I have a hard time understanding why some people feels downloading the music will ruin the experience. It's not exactly comparable to the cinema-dvd experience. It usualy takes days of listening for me to start really appreciating it.

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 04:20 PM
What if Tool suddenly change their mind and put the whole cd on their site for free...?

Id be bloody disappointed if it meant to no CD/artwork.

"sketchy"? the sound quality of the mp3 rips now days are identical to the CD. HALF the experience is from the artwork? I wish I enjoyed a bunch of obsceru images as much as you do. Must've been a long time since you've downloaded music. Now days rips are actually titled with the correct track name and included with images of the artwork.

I have a hard time understanding why some people feels downloading the music will ruin the experience. It's not exactly comparable to the cinema-dvd experience. It usualy takes days of listening for me to start really appreciating it.

after all these years, i want a CD. a solid, weighty CD. that i can hold in my hand, sit down, and look over the inlay while listening on my (shock horror) CD player. Yes, i will put them onto my PC and then my Zen, but beforehajnd i want to listen to the CD. Maybe thats just me.

Half of Tool IS beliefs/art. otherwise half this site wouldn't be here. there would be nothing interesting on the Tool pages, all the theories about the lateralus inlay would be gone. Tool and Art are as linked as Tool and Music.

Anyway, thats my view. i don't care if you want to Download it, i'd just rather be able to put it on the shelf next to my other Tool CDs.

Alex

Leandrenos
03-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Id be bloody disappointed if it meant to no CD/artwork.

They'll include some printable artwork and maybe even a whole site dedicated too the album with lyrics and secrets enough for a obsesive toolfan to get a hard on for weeks.....

bass_dude
03-18-2006, 04:27 PM
They'll include some printable artwork and maybe even a whole site dedicated too the album with lyrics and secrets enough for a obsesive toolfan to get a hard on for weeks.....

I guess, but it just wouldn't be the same to me.

Maybe i'm weird, but i just want a solid CD.

Alex

stinkfish
03-18-2006, 04:30 PM

What if there is no new album? What if tool does not really exist, what if it's all in our minds. What if we're all wired together, living in some kind of fake imaginative world created by machines to rule over us? What if there is no spoon...?

Comebackrunning
03-18-2006, 04:30 PM
You won't be able to copy the tracks to your PC now they are on Sony

CrownOfNegativity
03-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I only need one.

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
lets see....i bought at least 10 copies of undertow(lost, scrached, shit like that) 10 copies of Aenima, im on my 5th copie of Lateralus, so ill buy 15 copies of thier new album so ill be ahead of the ballgame.......set

Clutch it like an AEnima
03-18-2006, 11:50 PM
What if there is no new album? What if tool does not really exist, what if it's all in our minds. What if we're all wired together, living in some kind of fake imaginative world created by machines to rule over us? What if there is no spoon...?
id kick myself in the DICK if that were true

Rubb.
03-19-2006, 12:37 AM

There isn't any anti-piracy shit that actually works yet.

Hatless
03-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Yes, there is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4821518.stm

Rubb.
03-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I stand corrected. I never even considered ships might do the trick.

varg
03-19-2006, 02:43 AM

If you can't take good care of your toys, you're not allowed to have any.

hateAliases
03-19-2006, 03:29 AM
I'll buy three....

car
home
...beach party one

mad017
03-19-2006, 03:46 AM
i think i will buy one to listen to and one to keep packaged just as a silent memory of all the time i ahve been waiting so long and coming to this site daily for news!

the whole RHCP/TOOL argument... people saying tool had no advertising at all.... i have not seen any for stadium arcadium appart from what i dug up on the official chilli's site, however, the thousands of people who attended the big day out here in australia (music festival) would be aware of the page in the program which read TOOL(lateralus logo) NEW ALBUM. AUTUM 2006. this would ahve been seen by thousands of people.... the mere fact that we are posting like this and ahve been for months shows the antisipation of this album...

mattw
03-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Right, I'm gonna settle this whole Red Hot Chili Peppers/Tool thing:

RHCP last 4 albums and sales:

1) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 12 million worldwide

2) One Hot Minute - 5 million worldwide

3) Californication - 15 million worldwide

4) By The Way - 10 million worldwide

Tool last 4 main releases and sales:

1) Opiate - 1 million in the U.S.

2) Undertow - 2 million in the U.S.

3) Aenima - 3 million in the U.S.

4) Lateralus - 2 million in the U.S.

I know I haven't included worldwide figures for Tool etc. but you can see how the RHCP will definitely sell more of their new album then Tool's new album come May 2nd/9th and beyond.... The RHCP are just a more popular band.

Although I like both artists, I think both will enjoy A LOT of success with their new albums. The Peppers fans will react very positively as will Tool fans, although out-numbered.

This could be Tool's biggest album if everything goes right - they could end up selling 5 million copies if it kicks arse (as in more than Aenima or Lateralus, arguably their best releases to date). But look at the peppers:

One Hot Minute wasn't considered to be the band's best but it still sold 5 million and By The Way isn't their biggest selling album but it still racked up 10 million, close to what Tool has sold in total throughout their career!

With that issue now to rest (RHCP new album sales > Tool new album sales), I just want to finish by saying I think the new cover for Stadium Arcadium is shithouse! We've seen better album covers floating around this forum for weeks now. Seriously, how long did it take the peppers to come up with that ordinary, unimaginative piece of uninspiring so-called 'artwork'? 10 minutes maximum...

Here ends my rant

Happyfunball
03-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Well hell though. If you didn't have Tool's world-wide sales, you should have at least limited the comparison to US sales for both. Unless you only had the world-wide sales for the Peppers in which case it's skewed no matter what you do. It has to be an equal comparison otherwise it's no good. Though I will say I appreciate the info. We're just lacking two very important aspects: Tool's world-wides sales and RHCP's US-only sales.

I still feel that RHCP's release being a 2-disc set is going to have an impact on their sales. I think people who are not dedicated Pepper fans tend to stay away from those sort of releases unless/until they've heard a LOT of the music (and like a lot of it). It's an aspect to consider. 2-disc sets just don't sell all that well as a general rule, even from some of the most established artists out there. The last big 2-disc set I recall was NIN's and it sold horribly compared to what was expected. Maybe that won't be the case for the Peppers though, we'll see.

And I whole-heartedly agree on the "Stadium Arcadium" cover. When I saw it I thought immediately that is was either a joke (as in they were kidding), or that it was surely a placeholder image. Apparently that's the cover though, and it looks crappy.

Indrid Cold
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM

You can still copy it by playing every track and recording it using the "What You Hear" feature in your Nero 7 WAV creator. Then save it onto your harddrive. Who needs to rip anything then. It just takes one listen of a cd to get it copied.

ArizonaBay
03-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Ive bought one of each except aenima which i bought twice 'cause my first, err, exploded.

Sleep
03-19-2006, 05:15 PM
One copy and then I'll just make copies of it for the car and such. Plus getting around those content protected things isn't all that hard.

mattw
03-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Well hell though. If you didn't have Tool's world-wide sales, you should have at least limited the comparison to US sales for both. Unless you only had the world-wide sales for the Peppers in which case it's skewed no matter what you do. It has to be an equal comparison otherwise it's no good. Though I will say I appreciate the info. We're just lacking two very important aspects: Tool's world-wides sales and RHCP's US-only sales.

Dude, seriously! I couldn't immediately find Tool's worldwide sales but I've found RHCP's U.S. record sales from www.riaa.com:

1) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 7 million

2) One Hot Minute - 2 million

3) Califonication - 5 million

4) By The Way - 1 million

So there you go. RHCP's last 4 studio albums have sold nearly double what Tool's 4 albums (not including Salival) have sold in the U.S. So my argument still stands. One Hot Minute still sold 2 million (at least) in the U.S. where as Aenima (Tool's best selling release to date) is just over 3 million. None of Tool's releases come close to Blood Sugar Sex Magik and struggle to get near Californication.

So, double album or not, I'm still backing the RHCP to sell more 'Stadium Arcadiums' than Tool will sell '10,000 Days' or whatever...

Case Closed.

TenSpeed
03-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Dude, seriously! I couldn't immediately find Tool's worldwide sales but I've found RHCP's U.S. record sales from www.riaa.com:

1) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 7 million

2) One Hot Minute - 2 million

3) Califonication - 5 million

4) By The Way - 1 million

So there you go. RHCP's last 4 studio albums have sold nearly double what Tool's 4 albums (not including Salival) have sold in the U.S. So my argument still stands. One Hot Minute still sold 2 million (at least) in the U.S. where as Aenima (Tool's best selling release to date) is just over 3 million. None of Tool's releases come close to Blood Sugar Sex Magik and struggle to get near Californication.

So, double album or not, I'm still backing the RHCP to sell more 'Stadium Arcadiums' than Tool will sell '10,000 Days' or whatever...

Case Closed.
We're not even talking about total sales, we're talking about the first weeks.

Plus, compare these two albums:

Lateralus (2001): 2 Million
By The Way (2002): 1 Million

Hmm...

mattw
03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
We're not even talking about total sales, we're talking about the first weeks.

Plus, compare these two albums:

Lateralus (2001): 2 Million
By The Way (2002): 1 Million

Hmm...

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong - I think and hope that Tool will sell many copies in the first few weeks. I don't think their popularity has dropped off like some other bands have (that have been around for a while) such as Pearl Jam, Metallica etc.

BUT, Lateralus was, with all bias aside, considered by many to be a GOOD album by Tool, as in one of their best. Conversely, the reaction to By The Way was quite negative in comparison to the other RHCP albums. Yes, Tool sold more of Lateralus than RHCP sold of By The Way (I'm actually quite happy about that!) but you cannot underestimate the popularity of the RHCP, both in the U.S. and worldwide...

The Peppers new album has come after 4 years of waiting and if it is any good, like Californication was considered to be, then it will sell very well. The RHCP had a 4 year gap in between One Hot Minute (like By The Way it sold less copies than expected) and then came back with a great release with Californication. They have said their new stuff is more rock and funk based, similar to Blood Sugar Sex Magik (7 million copies in U.S.), so if everything goes well for the Chili Peppers, they will sell many many copies...

Tool's fans will be loyal and buy their album but they just cannot match the overall popularity of the RHCP.

I'm tipping the Peppers to come out on top, but I would really love to see Tool absolutely kill every other band in record sales...

By the way (no pun intended), I'm not attacking anyone with this opinion, I'm just putting forward what I think. I cannot wait for the new Tool album, and a tour, and I'll even buy the new RHCP album. But I must admit I think the latter will sell more copies...

TenSpeed
03-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong - I think and hope that Tool will sell many copies in the first few weeks. I don't think their popularity has dropped off like some other bands have (that have been around for a while) such as Pearl Jam, Metallica etc.

BUT, Lateralus was, with all bias aside, considered by many to be a GOOD album by Tool, as in one of their best. Conversely, the reaction to By The Way was quite negative in comparison to the other RHCP albums. Yes, Tool sold more of Lateralus than RHCP sold of By The Way (I'm actually quite happy about that!) but you cannot underestimate the popularity of the RHCP, both in the U.S. and worldwide...

The Peppers new album has come after 4 years of waiting and if it is any good, like Californication was considered to be, then it will sell very well. The RHCP had a 4 year gap in between One Hot Minute (like By The Way it sold less copies than expected) and then came back with a great release with Californication. They have said their new stuff is more rock and funk based, similar to Blood Sugar Sex Magik (7 million copies in U.S.), so if everything goes well for the Chili Peppers, they will sell many many copies...

Tool's fans will be loyal and buy their album but they just cannot match the overall popularity of the RHCP.

I'm tipping the Peppers to come out on top, but I would really love to see Tool absolutely kill every other band in record sales...

By the way (no pun intended), I'm not attacking anyone with this opinion, I'm just putting forward what I think. I cannot wait for the new Tool album, and a tour, and I'll even buy the new RHCP album. But I must admit I think the latter will sell more copies...
Good points as well.
Sorry for any hostility.

I bet Tool will be #1 the first week, in the top 10 for the next bunch, and drop off after a few months.
RHCP will hit #1 the week after Tool (when it comes out).

chonus
03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
So far, according to the poll, about 1 in 3 people that are buying the new tool album will buy more than one.

Not bad.

Any chili pepper fans buying more than one of their new album?

Happyfunball
03-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Well let's put it this way: I would not be tremendously surprised if the Chili Peppers end up with better overall sales (over the course of each album's life span). But I definitely think first week sales will go to Tool, and actually I think Pearl Jam will have better first week sales than the Peppers as well.

Thanks for all the sales info. I know it doesn't change the music itself or anything, but I still like to see stuff like that. I'd rather look at box-scores than watch a baseball game. Statistics are our friends.

fishkopter
03-20-2006, 06:11 AM

haha. burn.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-20-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm going to buy it and either rip it to mp3 or download it. I've noticed I listen to music on my pc rather than on my stereo. But I'll definitely first buy it.

Wretched
03-20-2006, 07:31 AM
fuck you, downloading dick conks.

orange.juice
03-20-2006, 07:39 AM
seriously, anyone who is going to download the leak helps to spread it through the interweb, and there's lots of douche bags who are not going to buy it. Countermeasures should be encouraged.

Windir
03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Probably 3.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Ill buy one, Everyone else can screw themselves.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
seriously, anyone who is going to download the leak helps to spread it through the interweb, and there's lots of douche bags who are not going to buy it. Countermeasures should be encouraged.
I didn't say I'll download the leak.

dekard49
03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
and hopefully she'll see the light and wear the Tool hoodie I buy her from the upcoming tour.

LMFAO! I'll buy a picture of her wearing the hoodie.

Happyfunball
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Probably 3.

Windir, is that April?

chonus
03-22-2006, 11:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/music/all/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1/102-0229888-5597733

Tool's, 10,000 Days, is #14 on amazon's top sellers' list, and the cd hasn't even come out yet.

10,000 Days
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #14 in Music
Yesterday: #15 in Music

Stadium Arcadium
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #245 in Music
Yesterday: #209 in Music (falling off already)

Opiate_Mass
03-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm only gonna get one.

not to mention pearl jam's new release

Opiate_Mass
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
My collection:
Tool vs Red Hot Chili Peppers vs Pearl Jam
5 vs 1 (for sale) vs 1

Tool pwns.
pearl jam might win, cause it's got all the ollllllllllllllllllllllld listeners
PJ are yonks old

Opiate_Mass
03-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Statistics are our friends.
not if you're one of the thousands that died in the 9/11 fiasco.............

chonus
03-23-2006, 01:36 AM