PDA

View Full Version : Possible Guitar Tab?

RacecaR123
03-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks to Systolic and Ocelot for this one.

This bar code that was found in one of the newsletters seems to possibly be a guitar tab for one of the new tool songs maybe?

3-4-D-2-4-3-3-3-4-D-1-1-7

D- Open D string

I played it...not sure of the rhythm obviously, but it sounds very much like an Adam Jones type riff, and is really cool with some heavy distortion. So for you guitar players, try it out.

rsh
03-17-2006, 08:45 PM
TOOL doesnt want us downloading their music.

Due to sudden tabs being taken off the net because of similar piracy rules, i highly doubt they will give out a guitar tab. Not only that but in that manner aswell.

/close thread

STA
03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Check the context. 34D-24-33 are Miss July 2004's measurements. 117 is her weight in pounds. That is all.

34D-24-33 34D-117

http://biography.freeones.com/html/s_links/popup_Stephanie_Glasson.php

"Never mind that it was Joe and I that first 'discovered' her in the parking lot of Vendome liquors (goddamit!), or that, according to the psychic on Ventura Boulevard that psychometrized the Playboyspread, I had known Miss July in a past life - she, as Tabubu, even selling me my time-share pyramidium in Re-stau, there was a more important issue here. The new Tool record. Can you say distraction! "I wonder if Maynard knows about this" I remember thinking. "I wonder if he's seen these boobs... I mean this blurb." Come to think of it he has been wearing a cowboy hat as of late. MJK in a cowboy hat, Junior in a black suit and tie. What's next - Danny in shorts and a basketball jersey or Adam in a Nosferatu tee-shirt? He's still swirling Cabernet-Shiraz with good legs and not Shiner Bock, but... I'd better call Tool management. This might be some kind of plot to subvert the new Tool record, the evil doings of Creed (are they still broken up?) or Linkin Park or even Britney, Christina or Pink. Which reminds, me, I've got to remember to put some Harry Potter/Bertie Bott's "vomit" Jelly Belly's in the bowl to replace the margarita flavored ones I took to show Midwest bartenders what an authentic margarita should taste like.

"Don't panic" I told myself, Maynard doesn't have internet access or get good cell reception in that submarine-craft of his on the ocean sea-bed, so he probably doesn't even know about the blurb. Still we've got to keep this thing quiet - that is if you want the new Tool record to proceed according to schedule. Even you readers... yes YOU, Tool Collective members with your damn message board and chats (which, fortunately, are probably down), keep your lips sealed. In fact, if you have to discus this with your TA friends, it might be prudent to discreetly tap their shoes with yours using Morse code. Just tap out something like 34D243334D117 and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. "

RacecaR123
03-17-2006, 08:56 PM
34D is listed twice?...Whatever it means, it still sounds cool on guitar.

electribe1
03-17-2006, 10:01 PM

This bar code that was found in one of the newsletters seems to possibly be a guitar tab for one of the new tool songs maybe?

D- Open D string

I played it...not sure of the rhythm obviously, but it sounds very much like an Adam Jones type riff, and is really cool with some heavy distortion. So for you guitar players, try it out.

you guys are giving tool WAY too much credit. I mean i like them and i know they are smart but i doubt they are sitting around thinking of secret codes and ways to leak secret info in posts like that. that would mean they are total D&D douche dorks like the people who sit around and try to break said "codes"

go outside and put the book on level 3 magic users making elves disappearing DOWN!

fuckin dorks are ruining this forum

RacecaR123
03-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Tool claim to be geeks...or dorks as you call it.

idontmind462
03-18-2006, 08:18 AM
yeah... no one is allowed to tab Tool.

except with express consent.

like we have. www.tooltabs.net

KevanTT
03-18-2006, 09:52 AM

That is a rather drastic statement to be making. TT has never officially had any expressed or written "permission" (per se) to tab Tool's music* - Nolan did it in mature understanding and it has continued with such intention.

*emphasis on the word "official".

idontmind462
03-18-2006, 09:54 AM
We're linked on their official site.

RacecaR123
03-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Fuck and I over anaylze this shit? We're simply looking for clues, I didn't just throw it up here as a tab...I played it on guitar and it sounded good, even if it was or wasn't a tab. It even sounds like a Tool riff...not to say that's what it is...but be creative, have fun with it if you choose, instead of just flaming everyone.

KevanTT
03-18-2006, 10:33 AM
We're linked on their official site.

You missed my point...

Anyway, I think I'll take a stab at that "tab" later tonight just for kicks - see what happens...summon a Valkyrie maybe.

thevirusunknown
03-18-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah I think TT does have expressed permission....

Ocelot199
03-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Whos to say Tool wouldn't use something like that for a riff? Its not like they haven't done strange things in the past. So long as it sounds good, right?

If anything though, I think that that sequence is a beat (when translated into morse code and played) of sorts. Same thing; you all keep pointing out that its some chick's measurments - so what? Doesn't mean Tool wouldn't use it. Especially since Blair does say to tap that out in morse code (in so many words) in that newsletter.

Just because its a pr0n star's measurments doesn't mean its not something else.

KevanTT
03-18-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah I think TT does have expressed permission....

When I say "official" permission, I mean that in a legal capacity - as in a written contract - which we have not had, nor do I expect that it will ever be necessary. If we had attempted to charge for access to said tabs, then it would be a different matter. But anyway...

RacecaR123
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I think we all need to just stay positive. We obviously don't know anything for sure, but the whole point of this forum is to dig deeper, that's what tool professes right? If we shouldn't play the guessing game and we shouldn't research and at least imagine that there are "hidden meanings and codes", then what's the point of any of us being on here. We might as well continue refreshing Toolband every 5 minutes right? This isn't the best thread ever, and it might not be accurate at all, but who cares? I got a decent guitar riff out of it. Through all of this research and speculation you can learn a lot, even if it has nothing to do with album titles or tracklistings. Systolic seems like he has had a huge history lesson in all of this...and regardless if he's "right" about his hypothesis, it doesn't matter, he's digging and learning, unlike you flamers who just tear everyone down because of it. So I ask you flamers, what should we do in this forum?

exojjl
03-18-2006, 02:43 PM

D- Open D string

Yo man, check this out. You take each of the numbers in the supposive "code" and you convert them to letters of the alphabet pertraining to the number the letter is down the line; you get

"cdbdcccddaag"

Which are all notes on the fret board.

C00l idea you have going.
Keep havin' fun, don't let all these
insignificunt bastards bring you down.
They are not worth it.
Their psycho somaticly induced-blindness
lead them to a mis-lead premise.
which was infact a self relating cycle
of eating shit/bullshit, recycling it back through in/out orifices
upon deep and emotional pleasure which exhibits them to
lead to being assholes because they are so in tuned with their assholes.

good-day,

Bassmingo
03-18-2006, 08:47 PM

those are some of the best tool tabs i've seen online (bass, i didnt look at the guitars yet), well done. I have a couple of corrections for you, which i'll mail you about when i'm not wrecked tired. but kudos, i picked a up a few licks that were bugging me.

KevanTT
03-19-2006, 08:27 AM
those are some of the best tool tabs i've seen online (bass, i didnt look at the guitars yet), well done. I have a couple of corrections for you, which i'll mail you about when i'm not wrecked tired. but kudos, i picked a up a few licks that were bugging me.

I sigh.

Before you decide to clutter my mailbox with more tab suggestions. Let me be frank - none of the tabs are "perfect". As I stated in the disclaimer, they are our (Nolan's & Brad's) best interpretations (at the time) of the songs - not exact renditions. Also, a lot of the material is based on live performance and not studio work. That being said - there will be differences...and we aren't going to change every single little nuance of every tab. If anyone has half a brain...they can figure it out themselves, because half the work is in your style of playing rather than the actual specific note or octive or whatever the case may be.

If you have suggestions...post them in the forum and someone (Brad for the most part) will look at them and if he feels it warrants an update, he'll update them.

KJM
03-19-2006, 11:18 AM
if you play music, you should know to spell octave lol

Bassmingo
03-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry, I posted last night when i was a little worse for wear, your tabs are pretty much the way i'd play the songs anyway, and i get your point about a persons playing style. i was just offering to help with a few minor additions that i've picked up from playing tool songs for many years. (one small example, there are two bass tracks in the middle section of lateralus, and also again during the latter half of the whammy section)

But again, brilliant resource site, I applaud your work.

Anomaly
03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
here it is in morse code....
http://www.amalgamy.net/mike/work/mp3s/34D243334D117.wav

and heres what " zz?z " sounds like in morse... :-P
http://www.amalgamy.net/mike/work/mp3s/zzz.wav

also we have the infamous.. "TEAE_EAE_W"
www.amalgamy.net/mike/work/mp3s/TEAE_EAE_W.wav

KevanTT
03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
But again, brilliant resource site, I applaud your work.

Nolan's the mastermind, not me.

exojjl
03-19-2006, 04:43 PM
if you play music, you should know to spell octave lol
my philosophy to this is that its better to play an octave than to know how to spell it.

KevanTT
03-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Ya...what he said. Yeah.

I don't play guitar as often as I used to...really, not at all. I just make things look pretty.