PDA

View Full Version : here’s some unusual guitar work. Man, it’s almost Hendix like!

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Track 2 (7min 12sec) Melodic intro with almost balladic vocals from Maynard.
Lighter feel (almost, dare I say it, APC-tinged) but not for long. Danny gets
stronger – Baresi releases our tubthumper and the feel gets much heavier into
‘chugga chugga’ off beats. Then – here’s some unusual guitar work. Man, it’s
almost Hendix-like! Then back into a heavy tribal groove. I fight off the urge
to masturbate furiously. -Andy King

I've been reading pretty close since the Andy King thing, and hadn't seen a good thread on this yet (maybe I missed it). So I expect, at least alot of people in these forums, being how you respect Tool for their technical virtuosity, and musicianship, so much. Can at least appreciate the one of a kind guitar genius and virtuoso that was Jimi Hendrix (we all know Justin is a huge fan). I have seen some people even compare their sounds, and many people totally disagree that they bear any resemblance whatsoever. But if you have listened real close, you will have noticed some similarities. IE: the ultra sustained and heavily distorted notes. The perfectly executed phrases and riffs on odd scales (albeit Jimi is more technically skilled, but I think Adam's compositional sense is just as good if not better). Their similar use of fluid dynamic modulation, and arpegios to evoke emotion. And they both do like the pentatonics, might I add. Of course lyrically, the whole transcendental thing comes through in both their music, as well. And we all know the Experience had one of the most excellent drummers ever, Mitch.

It is a major comparrison and contrast, I understand, and if you haven't listened to both of them many times over for a long period of time, you might not see the simliarities. Of course Jimi was WAY more bluesy and upbeat most of the time. But he does have some near epic almost prog rock masterpieces, including "1983 A Merman I Should Turn To Be" (which Jimi also played bass on, and it's awesome bass), and "Third Stone From the Sun". But what made him really spectacular were his live performances. I have this one version of "Red House, Live at New York Pop", that is still today after about 6 years, the most amazing piece of electric guitar work I have ever heard - he was off in the cosmic realm on this one. So anyway, if someone will host that for me I'll share it (it's a bootleg by the way, very good quality).

So anyway, I just thought this could be a fun topic given the right insights - have at it. What do you think, would you like to hear Adam take it up a notch on 10,000 days =)???

thejesus
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I always thought Adam's solo in Third Eye sounded a bit Hendrix-like

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:07 PM
^^hhaha, what a disgrace to jimi. that 3rd eye 'solo' dosent come anywhere near in touching jimi's solo's.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I always thought Adam's solo in Third Eye sounded a bit Hendrix-like he did say "a bit" too.

Indeed, I almost mentioned that - though it is slide I believe, yeah? The phrasing is great though, real solidly composed and absolutely soaring, goes back and fourth and comes back around together real nicely.

That solo does soar to great emotional levels, in Third Eye, not too many other guitarists who do that for me personally.

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:09 PM
....no, not a slide.

thejesus
03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
^^hhaha, what a disgrace to jimi. that 3rd eye 'solo' dosent come anywhere near in touching jimi's solo's.

you don't hear the Jimi-influence on that solo?

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
as a guitar player myself i can honestly say: sorry man, not at all.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
....no, not a slide.

you positive - well I guess I could just look it up... being a guitarist who's played for ten years, I feel pretty stupid not knowing =P. But if that's not a slide then Adam is better than I thought even.

And hey aren't you the dude with the hot sister?? HAHAHAHA, just messin with ya =)

pork chops
03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
i love tool, i think that as a group when all pieces are added together and you take the sum of their parts, there is none better. i would put them up there with Floyd and Zepplin. but to compare AJ to Hendrix is about the most crazy thing i have ever heard. Hendrix could probably still outplay him, and he's been dead since 1970

Wretched
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
No one is saying AJ is anywhere near Hendrix, just saying that they have a similar style. AJ is less skilled.

To be honest though, I never thought Hendrix was that good. They talk about him like a legend, but he just was a stoner black dood with some skill.

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
you positive - well I guess I could just look it up... being a guitarist who's played for ten years, I feel pretty stupid not knowing =P. But if that's not a slide then Adam is better than I thought even.

And hey aren't you the dude with the hot sister?? HAHAHAHA, just messin with ya =)

why would that make him a better guitar player? haha i can accurately and quickly slide my fingers, or in this case finger, from the top of the neck near the nut towards the bridge. ...plus im curious how you're going to 'look it up' tabs? haha..

I have some bootleg videos and one of them has 3'rd eye with a great close up of adam during the solo, its all finger work.

However, i think he might use a slide at the begining of the song.. at least thats what i do to get an accurate replication of the high pitched stuff.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Tool is my favorite band that exists today, but the experience is my favorite band of all time, would i enjoy seeing more Hendrix influence in 10,000 days? Fuck yea!

dracomordag
03-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Notice that the thread starter said many times that he believes Hendrix to be more technically skilled than Adam (obivously).

I kind of agree, but I think just about any rock guitarist nowadays is influenced by Hendrix.

thejesus
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
as a guitar player myself i can honestly say: sorry man, not at all.

remember, there are two solos playing simultaneously on that one...

give it a closer listen

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I well aware of the two guitars going at once, the predominate one is the one i assumed everyone was talking about, the background 'solo' sound like a kid going as fast as he can..

thejesus
03-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Oh well...I can't make you hear the influence there..I hear it though

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
i'll tell you what, i'll go listen to it with an open mind now and see if i can hear the influence.. brb

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 01:41 PM
why would that make him a better guitar player? haha i can accurately and quickly slide my fingers, or in this case finger, from the top of the neck near the nut towards the bridge. ...plus im curious how you're going to 'look it up' tabs? haha..

I have some bootleg videos and one of them has 3'rd eye with a great close up of adam during the solo, its all finger work.

However, i think he might use a slide at the begining of the song.. at least thats what i do to get an accurate replication of the high pitched stuff..

What alot of younger (or more inexperienced) guitar players, and just guitar players in general seem to do, is mistake complete technical virtuosity, for being a GREAT guitarist (IE: Ingwee Malmsteen), maybe there is something to this argument. But of course we are talking Jimi here, so that is obvious anyway. But for me, the greats just have that "something" that others don't. David Gilmour for instance. It's the emotion that comes through - the feeling coming out of a person's soul through their fingertips. Not how fast you can scale from a to z while two handed fret tapping. And this applies to Adam, very much. The emotion that comes out is off the scales. That's what makes him GREAT. And legato (finger sliding) is something that alot of people can't do with that much emotion (IE: Jimi's "May this be love", and Lateralus, and alot of the stuff on Lateralus) - Of course we can only imagine what Jimi would have come up with if he'd had Adam's gear. And by the way I'm pretty sure the diads Adam uses on the Third Eye solo are the same that Jimi used all the time, hence at least a little bit of similarity. This is my opinion of course, though I do consider it a reasonable opinion based on facts and evidence =P.

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
alright i gave it multiple listens (damn, i forgot how good 3'rd eye was :P ) i assumed everyone was talking about the solo starting at 11:53, which yeah its great for the song, very emotional and well done but not jimi like at all (which also plays very emotionally) however if you're talking about the part of the song that starts at 4:20 (oddly enough) i dont think the background 'solo' is anything spectacular, in fact i think it sounds poopy albeit fast..ish.

Sorry i just cant hear the resemblance.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Wretched -

No one is saying AJ is anywhere near Hendrix, just saying that they have a similar style. AJ is less skilled.

To be honest though, I never thought Hendrix was that good. They talk about him like a legend, but he just was a stoner black dood with some skill.

Cool well, you are a logical man at least - but you have never heard or seen some of the live stuff if you really think that about Jimi. He is the Danny Carey of the guitar. Plus he did most of it in 4 years, and now everybody and their mother who plays an electric guitar is trying to be him - well most anyway =). Of course we haven't even brought up SRV yet.

bass_dude
03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Jimi hendrix may have had some moments, but i've got to say, i've never been more bored than when i was watching his live "performances"- they just go on and on and on, musical masturbation is fun for a while, but afterwards gets irritating.

I never liked Hendrix anyway, i think he's waaay overrated, but thats just my view.

Alex

eL-TooLo
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Adam teached himslef how to play guitar... he created a unique sound, unique style. Hendrix did the same thing. Stevie Ray Vaughn did the same thing... Jimmy Page..., and they all had their idols and favorite songs and favorite bands etc and that's how they did it. Who's the best guitarist? This is not the question... they are ALL fucking amazing guitarists, you can learn from all of them.

Bleedonstage
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Adam teached himslef how to play guitar... he created a unique sound, unique style. Hendrix did the same thing. Stevie Ray Vaughn did the same thing... Jimmy Page..., and they all had their idols and favorite songs and favorite bands etc and that's how they did it. Who's the best guitarist? This is not the question... they are ALL fucking amazing guitarists, you can learn from all of them.

did you teached yourself to spell? i teached myself to play guitar and so did hendrix..lol, jk man

jimmy page is the best though-imo and everyone agrees..right?

Mr.Rubberburner
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll take Jones over Hendrix

bass_dude
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
did you teached yourself to spell? i teached myself to play guitar and so did hendrix..lol, jk man

jimmy page is the best though-imo and everyone agrees..right?

I don't.

I'll take Jones over Hendrix

Same here.

Alex

Mr.Rubberburner
03-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I swear to god people always make Hendrix and Page out to be gods because we are just expected to say that. Granted they are talented guitarists, but give jones his do for creativity

Mr.Rubberburner
03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
*due

dracomordag
03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I swear to god people always make Hendrix and Page out to be gods because we are just expected to say that. Granted they are talented guitarists, but give jones his do for creativity

due

and i do

Mr.Rubberburner
03-15-2006, 02:49 PM
due

and i do
look above

Carny_Handles

damn you! You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Wretched
Cool well, you are a logical man at least - but you have never heard or seen some of the live stuff if you really think that about Jimi. He is the Danny Carey of the guitar. Plus he did most of it in 4 years, and now everybody and their mother who plays an electric guitar is trying to be him - well most anyway =). Of course we haven't even brought up SRV yet.

I LOVED the American national anthem though.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 03:48 PM

I like Zeppelin, but I think Jimi's guitar and artistry were superior. Mostly personal opinion, but looking at it from an analytical point of view I could make some good points. But I don't really have the time to do that right now.

There is something to be said for innovation too. Within a period of four years, Jimi Hendrix took the electric guitar and rock music to the next level - granted there was alot going on in music, that is very influencial from this period as well. But after listening to alot of music for a long time, there is something about Jimi that is different than most. Technically, he was questionably superior to anyone who has come and gone since, except maybe Stevie, but they are different animals - and the thing that gets me about Jimi is that it was 30 years ago!! Jimi's credited with inventing two handed fret tapping by the way.

It is the artistry as well - one thing that gets me about Tool, and Adam's playing, this is another reason why I see some similarities, is there are visual elements within the music. I mean for instance in Machine Gun and his version of the national anthem, he is making gun sounds, and it sounds like bombs blowing up and people screaming - at this time, being so valid and innovative, this was a genious thing, because nobody else was doing anything like it. Even Miles Davis thought of Jimi as the most ultimate modern musician ever, and that is a big thing. But I see these visual elements in Tool's music as well, and Adam is doing it in some places, Aenima for instance - when Maynard's talking about "bringing it down" and the music is all scaling down and coming to the floor - I'm pretty sure they are doing this in alot of other places too. That is artistry right there, and there aren't many musicians who do this, and pull it off well. So that is certainly one comparrison.

Anyway, thanks guys - been a good thread so far. I appreciate the opinions, and I'm just so curious to what it's gonna sound like. =)

bbunt302
03-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I too play guitar (been playing about 6 years), and I think Adam is a great guitarist. He is not the most technically skilled, by far. Nowhere near it, really. And honestly, I think that's one of the reasons I like him. I used to be in to bands like Metallica, with these long, extravagant solos. After a while, that stuff starts to seem kind of stale though. As someone said earlier, it almost seems like "musical masturbation" more than anything. The guitar takes the fore-front and all the other instruments cease to matter for 30 seconds plus. The music starts to lose its feeling and emotion.

Adam, on the other hand, plays solos that seem to fit in a song naturally. It's not like the band says... "Hey, we really need a solo in this song. Adam! Play something long and complicated!" Unfortunately, this is the what a lot of modern day guitarists seem to do. Adam seems to stick to shorter, albeit less difficult solos that help songs progress in a natural way. I would have to say that his solo after the 2nd chorus in Lateralus is the perfect example of this. It's short, sweet and helps lead to a perfect miniature climax before the song slows back down once again.

Not to mention the fact that I love the tone he usually has in the ryhthm sections.

Animus X torsi
03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
i like adam cause i can play the stuff he plays :)

bbunt302
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM

Yeah, I forgot. That too. :)

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Ah yeah I totally agree with the musical "masturbation thing", though I also think Jimi is one of the few exceptions where his "musical masturbation" actually enriched the music, and he ended up coming up with things he wouldn't have any other way (especially live).

That is exactly what I was saying about Adam - it's the composition, and his writing ability, and his creation of tone, and placement of effects etc etc etc. Not to mention that, technically he is fucking awesome in his precision - he plays like an industrial machine or something (sure he fucks up live sometimes - it is human though, everyone does). But analytically, at least, when you take all those things to account, it puts him way up there, in my opinion. And the guitar pieces that he writes, are amazing. He has the whole dynamic emotion thing figured out.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM

but can you write it??? ;) yeah I mean I like him for this reason too though hehe

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Jimi hendrix may have had some moments, but i've got to say, i've never been more bored than when i was watching his live "performances"- they just go on and on and on, musical masturbation is fun for a while, but afterwards gets irritating.

I never liked Hendrix anyway, i think he's waaay overrated, but thats just my view.

Alex

Fuck off, how can you call one of the single most innovative musicians in history over rated, the guy created fucking soundscpaeds with a wah petal and a fuzz box. Just about every guitarist in the bast 30 years has been at least indirectly influenced by him. Overrated?

nddurst
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
....no, not a slide.

I have a bootleg video of the very first show Tool did for Aenima, and Adam does in fact use a slide in Third Eye...not sure if it is in the solo, but during the intro he is clearly using one. Not sure if he uses it every time though.

Carny_Handles
03-15-2006, 06:07 PM
as i said before in a previous thread "However, i think he might use a slide at the begining of the song.. at least thats what i do to get an accurate replication of the high pitched stuff."

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Fuck off, how can you call one of the single most innovative musicians in history over rated, the guy created fucking soundscpaeds with a wah petal and a fuzz box. Just about every guitarist in the bast 30 years has been at least indirectly influenced by him. Overrated?

HAHAHAH I fully agree with this statement, though I think everyone has a right to their opinion. But looking at it rationally and analytically, that about sums it up =P... I dunno, and I'm not a stoner or anything, anymore anyway hehe, but I might suggest smoking a fat bowl of some good stuff then listening to "1983 a merman I should turn to be", and then you might start to see ;). And he was pretty prolific, to have that opinion of him you have probably only heard the radio hits, and seen Woodstock. Of course, it is not some people's cup of tea, just as TOOL isn't some people's cup of tea. But when looked at it objectively, there is no fucking doubt he was THE MAN. Something to be said for a guy who can play one song and have all the girl's panties from the whole audience thrown up on stage at his feet ;).

StoneyB
03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
You have to remember that Hendrix played the guitar from the time he was 11 years old until he died. Adam never really focused on guitar until Tool came around. He played bass(electric sheep), and violin and cello before that time, but until Tool he really didn't have anything to do with the guitar. You can see an obvious growth between Undertow and Ænima. To be honest, Jimi was a better guitarist (obviously), in fact, Adam Jones has said that Hendrix is his favorite guitarist. I don't see much simularity between the two though. I do happen to think that Adam is an awesome artist. I think the art he does for the videos is awesome, and in my opinion Adam Jones is possible the main reason that Tool are so artistically grounded.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
The Hendrix in Adam comes out with the manipulation and sustain of feedback, Hendrix started that shit. As far as playing styles, they arent all that similar.

theremin_scape
03-16-2006, 03:13 AM
hello, this thread convinced me to finally join the forum, after a few years of off and on reading lol. a very odd first post, but anyway, when i listen to tool's music, it's as if there is an extra dimension that few other musicians/bands display or have displayed. it's difficult to describe this, but it's as if there is some sort of visual aspect to the sounds of the instruments. when i pay attention to tool's music, there's a very tribal feel, almost as if you're listening to the sounds of a jungle. yes, danny carey studied with aloke dutta, and you've got his occult beliefs on top of that, so there is a very good explanation for what i'm describing. however, when you listen to the rest of the instruments and the vocals, this feeling is likewise present there. especially with the guitar. if you've ever seen just how few pedals adam uses, perhaps you appreciate the sounds he gets out of his guitar (this amazing sound of course is also largely helped out by that diezel amp). from having listened to numerous bootlegs, adam pulls off an impressive array of sounds live as well (the way the guitar screeches, the pick scratching, the way the delay is used, etc).
i owned electric ladyland before any tool albums, and still consider it to be one of the best albums that has graced rock. hendrix's music carries a similar "extra dimension" that tool's does. however, on the whole i think hendrix was able to paint the soundscape better.
first off, i think that hands down technically hendrix is far superior to adam jones (i think that guitarists as great as jimmy page even pale in comparison to jimi, but that's personal opinion). adam definitely has an extremely good sense of rhythm, but even this hendrix i think was better at - sure jimi didn't change time as much, but he certainly took your more typical time signatures to interesting places.
as with that "extra dimension," when you consider the limits of technology back in the sixties/seventies, hendrix i would say perhaps even pushed those limits moreso than floyd as he relied on developing them mainly with his playing rather than his pedal stomping (you don't really stomp a wah, and anyway this is one of the simplest effects unlike several that floyd used. i do enjoy pink floyd quite a lot, btw, and am not bashing them in any way). to me, hendrix's music also has more variety in the emotions that seep through. he seems to cover more of whatever spectrum sound posseses, whether it be emotional, visual, or whatever else.
are there connections between the two guitarists? i would certainly say so, for they (along with robert frip and a very few other bands) are the only musicians whose bands have created music that carries with it that dynamic that i do not detect elsewhere (and i do look for this). both (fripp and a very few other bands included again) depend heavily on the development of structure and emotion in the music, paying a lot of attention to details not usually considered.
one more thing - i think this is extremely relevant to what i am trying to explain. adam jones - as i'm assuming most/all people on this forum know - is the director of the videos. he is a very visual person, this of course having been mentioned time and time again. think of the connection between his manner of visually thinking and his guitar riffs. now think about this: i once read a fair chunk of a biography of jimi hendrix, and it had mentioned that jimi had a bunch of ideas he had been interested in pursuing prior to his death. one of these ideas was to create some kind of light emitting device that would change colors with respect to notes being played. pretty interesting i think. definitely has similarity to adam. another point being that hendrix did draw pictures a lot during his years as a musician, and more importantly the last several years of his life.
to sum up, yes i do think there's a lot to connect between both guitarists. both adam and jimi have pushed/are pushing (along with the rest of their bands) musical boundaries that few other musicians in the world are even aware of. you are entitled to your own opinion, but if you do not agree, try to raise your eyelid and let some light shine into your mind, and maybe you’ll find something new to appreciate.

Natalie Portman
03-16-2006, 03:47 AM
Didn't Andy King rate Undertow above Ænima? That pretty much voids his opinions as far as I'm concerned.

Octopod
03-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Didn't Andy King rate Undertow above Ænima? That pretty much voids his opinions as far as I'm concerned.

Ouch. Not very open to difference, are we?

bass_dude
03-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Because while he may have been innovative, he is NOWHERE near the level most people make him out to be. sure he was good. Tuneful, even for short periods of time. Yet he gets very old, very quick. I have nothing against revolutionaries of the guitar- Tom Morello revolutionized modern guitar, and i don't think he's overrated, because he isn't quoted and posted by EVERY FUCKING GUITARIST UNDER THE SUN AS BEING GOD.

So fuck off yourself you twat.

Alex

zenkinet
03-16-2006, 08:55 AM
its spelled... HENDRIX, not Hendix.... you turd.

StoneyB
03-16-2006, 10:12 AM
theremin_scape, I agree. Adam does produce some great noise with few pedals. I have a feeling he will probably be using more on the new album though. Also, i think you can give Danny the credit for his sense of rhythm. I've read a few interviews where Adam has said that when they write, often times it will start with something cool that Danny does, and then Adam will just try to play within that time signature. Hendrix also got a bit more credit because he died while he was still pretty much on the top.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-16-2006, 10:33 AM
hello, this thread convinced me to finally join the forum, after a few years of off and on reading lol. a very odd first post, but anyway, when i listen to tool's music, it's as if there is an extra dimension that few other musicians/bands display or have displayed. it's difficult to describe this, but it's as if there is some sort of visual aspect to the sounds of the instruments. when i pay attention to tool's music, there's a very tribal feel, almost as if you're listening to the sounds of a jungle. yes, danny carey studied with aloke dutta, and you've got his occult beliefs on top of that, so there is a very good explanation for what i'm describing. however, when you listen to the rest of the instruments and the vocals, this feeling is likewise present there. especially with the guitar. if you've ever seen just how few pedals adam uses, perhaps you appreciate the sounds he gets out of his guitar (this amazing sound of course is also largely helped out by that diezel amp). from having listened to numerous bootlegs, adam pulls off an impressive array of sounds live as well (the way the guitar screeches, the pick scratching, the way the delay is used, etc).
i owned electric ladyland before any tool albums, and still consider it to be one of the best albums that has graced rock. hendrix's music carries a similar "extra dimension" that tool's does. however, on the whole i think hendrix was able to paint the soundscape better.
first off, i think that hands down technically hendrix is far superior to adam jones (i think that guitarists as great as jimmy page even pale in comparison to jimi, but that's personal opinion). adam definitely has an extremely good sense of rhythm, but even this hendrix i think was better at - sure jimi didn't change time as much, but he certainly took your more typical time signatures to interesting places.
as with that "extra dimension," when you consider the limits of technology back in the sixties/seventies, hendrix i would say perhaps even pushed those limits moreso than floyd as he relied on developing them mainly with his playing rather than his pedal stomping (you don't really stomp a wah, and anyway this is one of the simplest effects unlike several that floyd used. i do enjoy pink floyd quite a lot, btw, and am not bashing them in any way). to me, hendrix's music also has more variety in the emotions that seep through. he seems to cover more of whatever spectrum sound posseses, whether it be emotional, visual, or whatever else.
are there connections between the two guitarists? i would certainly say so, for they (along with robert frip and a very few other bands) are the only musicians whose bands have created music that carries with it that dynamic that i do not detect elsewhere (and i do look for this). both (fripp and a very few other bands included again) depend heavily on the development of structure and emotion in the music, paying a lot of attention to details not usually considered.
one more thing - i think this is extremely relevant to what i am trying to explain. adam jones - as i'm assuming most/all people on this forum know - is the director of the videos. he is a very visual person, this of course having been mentioned time and time again. think of the connection between his manner of visually thinking and his guitar riffs. now think about this: i once read a fair chunk of a biography of jimi hendrix, and it had mentioned that jimi had a bunch of ideas he had been interested in pursuing prior to his death. one of these ideas was to create some kind of light emitting device that would change colors with respect to notes being played. pretty interesting i think. definitely has similarity to adam. another point being that hendrix did draw pictures a lot during his years as a musician, and more importantly the last several years of his life.
to sum up, yes i do think there's a lot to connect between both guitarists. both adam and jimi have pushed/are pushing (along with the rest of their bands) musical boundaries that few other musicians in the world are even aware of. you are entitled to your own opinion, but if you do not agree, try to raise your eyelid and let some light shine into your mind, and maybe you’ll find something new to appreciate.

Awesome First post man, I agree totally.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Because while he may have been innovative, he is NOWHERE near the level most people make him out to be. sure he was good. Tuneful, even for short periods of time. Yet he gets very old, very quick. I have nothing against revolutionaries of the guitar- Tom Morello revolutionized modern guitar, and i don't think he's overrated, because he isn't quoted and posted by EVERY FUCKING GUITARIST UNDER THE SUN AS BEING GOD.

So fuck off yourself you twat.

Alex

Iyts easy to be Tom Morello in the 90's because we have millions of differant petals around that can give us a million differant effects. You listen to Electric Ladyland and think about the technology available to Hendrix in 1969 and tell me he wasnt just a little bit more innovative than Tom Morello. Morello sucks now anyways.

bass_dude
03-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Iyts easy to be Tom Morello in the 90's because we have millions of differant petals around that can give us a million differant effects. You listen to Electric Ladyland and think about the technology available to Hendrix in 1969 and tell me he wasnt just a little bit more innovative than Tom Morello. Morello sucks now anyways.

Morello innovated using technique, Hendrix did so with pedals, so i admit there is a slight difference there, but to deem he is less innovative because of having pedals available is pretty stupid. Most of Morello's solos were amazing because he was using his fingers and his guitar itself in ways unseen by anyone else, not hiding behind pedals. Hendrix was using effects like no one else,but i personally see finger techniques as more impressive than effects ones.

Alex

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Hendrix had a fuzz box and a wah, any modern guitarist these days has more than that. Hendrix didnt hide behind petals, he innovated through technique- Chuck berry was about the cutting edge in guitar playing before Hendrix came out and fucking blew everyones mind with his method of playing and the ideas that he was able to express using his guitar. Hendrix did so much with so little- Morello uses every fucking effect in the book, I agree that he did used to be cool, and innovative- but his level of innovation doesnt even cast a shadow on Hendrix's.

Natalie Portman
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Ouch. Not very open to difference, are we?
Not on that. Undertow is great, but it's pretty evident that Ænima is superior in almost every way. I understand it's fairly subjective, but come one.... this is pretty clear cut.

Octopod
03-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Not on that. Undertow is great, but it's pretty evident that Ænima is superior in almost every way. I understand it's fairly subjective, but come one.... this is pretty clear cut.

If you're interested in universal opinion, you're going to be disappointed for the rest of your life. It's not clear cut in the least. It's completely subjective.

But your point was political, anyway. Political in that you're dismissing anyone who doesn't agree with you that Ænima is "better" than Undertow, and tossing their opinion out the door with them. I just think that's devisive.

Anomaly
03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
discussions like this make me think you're all in high school.
are you? not to dimune you, but i'd expect more from alot of you as far as comparing who's "better" ..

whos better whos not... along with "better" consecutively you imply another is "worse"

Each have their quantitive pros and cons.

I never got into listening to extremely technically skilled guitar players for the sake of their technical prowess. If i heard someone play, and what they played somehow "got to me" in an emotional way, then i could easily be very interested in hearing more from them.

Adam and Jimi both did this to me. and for different reasons.

I dont think adam wants to be seen as this incredible guitarist.
What he does as his part in a creative musical group, is nothing more or less than what i'd ask for. as stated above.. its his "compositional sense" and inventiveness that always intrigues and inspires me. The way he will make the guitar seem more than a guitar and layers maybe ONE NOTE over dozens of bars just to the right extent in the right fashion to portray a certain desired effect. he also pays alot more attention to teh final tone his parts carry for different parts of the song, than alot of other guitarists out there. I find his style unique, but not "better" or "worse" than any others.

The shredding / fretmaster thing is such a bore to me now adays. We've all heard people playing a mile a minute squeezing every sound imagineable out of the 6 string.

I find more value in players that reach way down and bring out something that adheres to the entire group's performance and raises the sum of it's members output a notch or two on the emotional/meaningful scale.

so its all in how you view "technical". "technique" to me isn't merely your pwnership of the traditional skills we see in the guitar world. its alot more. and if you dont have it then i'd rather not listen to you play.

,maybe all you guys in your 20's who are really perfecting yoru skill., and trying to be the best you can be at the guitar have a totally different outlook on pro guitarists, but i hit a point where i just did not care anymore as to whether i was incredible at a certain style or not or had down a slew of techniques.

All that mattered to me by the end of my 20s was that i could play.. and be able to play what i wanted. and by then.. what i wanted to play was somethign deep and intensely emotional and meaningful to me.. somethign telling a story.

hence i connected with adam's style long ago.

if that's shredding till yoru fingers bleed .. more power to you .. i just value different things differently

theremin_scape
03-16-2006, 06:25 PM

if it's clear cut, why were setlists filled with material from undertow on the aenima tour? on the lateralus tour? if it's clear cut, why are there mixed opinions on which album is the best? i think there isn't a clear cut in your arguement. live versions of undertow songs are amazing to listen to... although it's certainly not clear cut that they are better than other songs.
a clear cut point that can be made about the two albums you mentioned is that the production was very different. undertow sounds very raw, whereas aenima sounds as if the mixing stage took some time (budget definitely contributing to this difference). i personally group aenima and lateralus together, as both were produced by bottrill, so there's at least some reason behind this opinion. opiate and undertow kinda get grouped together as well - for example some parts of the lyrics to sober were written long before tool even formed, and the song itself was written quite a while before undertow was actually recorded. to me they have a more traditional rock feel to them.
speaking of this, it makes one think how the sound will change on the new album...

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-17-2006, 09:25 AM
The Hendrix in Adam comes out with the manipulation and sustain of feedback, Hendrix started that shit. As far as playing styles, they arent all that similar.

Hah that's one thing I was getting at, but forgot to mention. Aside from Jimi, Adam is by far, the second best feedback manipulator that has ever played a guitar. He is really great at that. It's not overdone, he gets it just right, and where it needs to be. This was ONE of the things that always blew me the hell away about Jimi too, because he could even reproduce it, and get it even better live, alot of the time.

If you've never heard this version of Red House, Live at New York Pop - after you do, then you'll know why Jimi is THE MAN =)...

http://images.ngc2997.multiply.com/song/1/2/full/U2FsdGVkX1.hCnKtkw4nvqm1taSZSvKtrNm94noFWhVa3a,5k2 wOjg==/03_Jimi%20Hendrix%20Red%20House%20.mp3

Anyway, carry on guys, I appreciate the insight and feedback (no pun intended har har), so far.

And yeah I know full and well it's HendRix, just thought that was kind of funny about Andy King writing itr down that way, and thought it'd make for a funny thread title.

NWO SHILL
03-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Trivia- Who was Hendrix repeatedly quoted as saying is the best guitar player?

Answer to follow later.

Just to add my two cents Jimmy Page> Jimi Hendrix. Maybe if Jimi had lived longer I wouldn't think so, but given their collective works I think Page's writing pushes him over the top.

cadav
03-17-2006, 09:47 AM
That tiny little solo on 4 degrees is great. Only straight up tool solo I can think of.

Rokusabaru Sakuraba
03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello all.
Didn't think I would ever post on this board, but dang it, this thread motivated me.
My opinion is that Josh Homme is one of the few current guitarists that travels in the same creative space as Jimi. I can't tell for shit how Josh would compare technically to any of the giants mentioned in this thread (though I'm sure one of you will school me good), but in terms of just translating pure, uncensored creative mojo into guitar sounds they seem like kindred spirits to me.
In my mind the guitar on the Songs for the Deaf album is a rare example of music that almost seem to bypass any human filter and just move unchecked from where ever ideas come from, through the body of Mr. Homme and into the real world. Sort of like music in its purest form.
Another thing I find similar between Hendrix and Queens of the Stonage is that neither seem to be precious about their music. As if they are perfectly content in burying a mighty tweaked riff under layers of song and other sounds. To just submit their masterfully crafted piece of music into the melting pot and move on.
I guess it just comes so naturally to them that they don't need to make a big deal about it.
Oh well... Be gentle. It's my first time.

Exoskeletal
03-17-2006, 11:10 AM
One of the guitarists that also reminds me of Hendrix, is Omar Rodriguez from The Mars Volta, I find it's creativity awsome. Of course, in technical meanings I'm not an expert in this, I just find the way he plays kinda similar of Hendrix's style. Listen to Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus from Frances the Mute, will blow your mind =)

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Trivia- Who was Hendrix repeatedly quoted as saying is the best guitar player?

Answer to follow later.

Just to add my two cents Jimmy Page> Jimi Hendrix. Maybe if Jimi had lived longer I wouldn't think so, but given their collective works I think Page's writing pushes him over the top.

I'm thinking Chuck Berry, but not sure. If you've ever seen Jimi's cover of Johnny B. Goode at Berkely (it's %&#%@$#@ AMAZING), then you'll know good and well why I think that (. I know lyrics wise though, obviously Jimi was all over Bob Dylan. Reason why I prefer Hendrix to Paige too is because Jimi was a front man, and wrote most of the music and could sing while he played - he was AMAZING in that respect to me, anyway. I personally enjoy all the subjects he wrote about too, alot of science fiction and social political stuff. And that sound coming out of a 3 piece was super beefy and totally full (only other 3 piece that touches The Experience imho is Rush). Don't get me wrong though Paige was incredible too (Actually the two of them were friends and traded licks with eachother). Though I must admit - as cliche as it has become, the solo to Stairway to Heaven is one of rock's pinnacle moments.

So looks like I've encouraged at least two likeminded people to make their first post - not bad for my first "new subject" thread here =P (to toot my own horn hehe). And it seems as if this has even more relevance now considering Adam's gonna be in Guitar World shortly. Also I highly encourage anyone who hasn't heard it to check out that song I left the link for (sorry I didn't quick link it, my time is short and my words are long). Ok signing off for now, I am moving today, and have alot more to do. Just had to get my Tool page fix to last me until I can get hooked back up to the net =P. Take it easy.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Ok one last thing while I still have access - that visual descriptive element within the music I was talking about in a previous post (ie: Hendrix making gun/bomb/scream noises in Machine Gun and the National Anthem, and how Tool uses this device alot, my earlier reference was where the words and music are plummiting down in Aenima), and I had said that I thought they were doing this alot. Well another two examples I can think of atm are "H" - if H is about heroin then that really mellow riff Adam is doing describes the feeling of being on it pretty well. That is one of the things that did convince me it probably is about heroin (actually I think it's about the struggles of being on heroin through Jungian terms, and how it can destroy relationships as a side effect). Anyway I think the dynamics in the music in H represent this as well. Another one is "Flood" - this one's a little more obvious. But where they're talking about the waters starting to come in and it's this long long buildup to that. 6 minutes I think? And then the bass line kicks in and it has a liquid like effect and to me it sounds like waves rolling in. Then the flood has arrived. Anyway, it's just my opinion - take it for what you will, but I always did love that about them, and my intuition tells me with how smart and talented these guys are, they're doing this alot. Anyway that does it for me, but I look forward to opinions later.

eulogy508
03-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Anyone who thinks Page > Hendrix needs to get their head checked.
Yeah, its just an opinion but really, I think people only rate Page so highly because he was in fucking Led Zeppelin. If he just been in the Yardbirds for the majority of his career, or perhaps joined the Allman Brothers or something, people would not think he was so amazing.
Anyway, I don't really hear/see any similarities between Jimi and Adam Jones. Sure, Adam has a thing for distortion/random feedback and noises, but so do countless other guitarists. I can't really hear a distinct similarity in their playing to compare them. Plus, Adam's playing is not bluesy at all, and he doesn't use a tremelo bar, a key ingredient in Jimi's sound.
To get off topic a little here, I do think that Hendrix is the greatest electric guitar player of all time. He completely changed everything about the instrument, he didnt just play wild guitar solos but also made it commonplace for guitarists to try to 'experiment' with distortion, feedback, and pure noise altogether.

Cinnamon
03-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Page was just a showoff

Hendrix handled the guitar like a seperate set of vocal cords

absolutely zero focus on physically playing, he had it all down. he was totally into what he was putting out every second he played.

eulogy508
03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, Page walked on the sidewalk that Hendrix paved. All other electric guitarists did too. He singlehandedly created the genre of hard rock, or metal, heavy metal, etc. Everyone cites Cream as doing that but actually the heavy riff of "Sunshine of Your Love" was written by the bassist Jack Bruce right after he saw Hendrix in concert.

kickstandjesus
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Page was just a showoff

Hendrix handled the guitar like a seperate set of vocal cords

absolutely zero focus on physically playing, he had it all down. he was totally into what he was putting out every second he played.watch white summer, on the new Led Zeppelin DVD, and lets just think musically, if you were trapped on a deserted island, which would you rather have a bunch of hendrix or a bunch of zeppelin, jimmy page is one of the best song writers as well, where do you think all those melodies came from?

eulogy508
03-18-2006, 03:42 PM
watch white summer, on the new Led Zeppelin DVD, and lets just think musically, if you were trapped on a deserted island, which would you rather have a bunch of hendrix or a bunch of zeppelin, jimmy page is one of the best song writers as well, where do you think all those melodies came from?

Melodies? What melodies?
Jimmy Page was a fantastic songwriter. You know, it's not easy to steal other people's work, arrange it into your own tune and then add a sloppy, boring penatonic solo.

electribe1
03-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I've been reading pretty close since the Andy King thing, and hadn't seen a good thread on this yet (maybe I missed it). So I expect, at least alot of people in these forums, being how you respect Tool for their technical virtuosity, and musicianship, so much. Can at least appreciate the one of a kind guitar genius and virtuoso that was Jimi Hendrix (we all know Justin is a huge fan). I have seen some people even compare their sounds, and many people totally disagree that they bear any resemblance whatsoever. But if you have listened real close, you will have noticed some similarities. IE: the ultra sustained and heavily distorted notes. The perfectly executed phrases and riffs on odd scales (albeit Jimi is more technically skilled, but I think Adam's compositional sense is just as good if not better). Their similar use of fluid dynamic modulation, and arpegios to evoke emotion. And they both do like the pentatonics, might I add. Of course lyrically, the whole transcendental thing comes through in both their music, as well. And we all know the Experience had one of the most excellent drummers ever, Mitch.

It is a major comparrison and contrast, I understand, and if you haven't listened to both of them many times over for a long period of time, you might not see the simliarities. Of course Jimi was WAY more bluesy and upbeat most of the time. But he does have some near epic almost prog rock masterpieces, including "1983 A Merman I Should Turn To Be" (which Jimi also played bass on, and it's awesome bass), and "Third Stone From the Sun". But what made him really spectacular were his live performances. I have this one version of "Red House, Live at New York Pop", that is still today after about 6 years, the most amazing piece of electric guitar work I have ever heard - he was off in the cosmic realm on this one. So anyway, if someone will host that for me I'll share it (it's a bootleg by the way, very good quality).

So anyway, I just thought this could be a fun topic given the right insights - have at it. What do you think, would you like to hear Adam take it up a notch on 10,000 days =)???

id have to giggle at comparing jimi hendrix to ANYONE...let alone adam jones. hendrix's style doesnt even fit in the same genre as jones. someones smokin da dope

Colonel Pants
03-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Jimi's credited with inventing two handed fret tapping by the way.
When did Jimi use tapping? I can't say I've heard any tapping in the songs I've listened to, but there are a LOT that I still haven't heard. I thought Steve Hackett from Genesis was credited with popularising tapping (Not to mention Paganini :P)

Morello uses every fucking effect in the book
Not exactly. He primarily uses his wah, Whammy and delay. In RATM he also had a flanger and phaser but they were mainly used for rhythm sections, as well as an equaliser for a volume boost. In Audioslave he's added a tremolo. He's got a lot of different sounds just from those three main pedals I first mentioned, but I think after a few albums he started running out of ideas.

Eon Black Apocalypse
03-18-2006, 06:40 PM
In RATM he also had a flanger and phaser but they were mainly used for rhythm sections, as well as an equaliser for a volume boost. In Audioslave he's added a tremolo. He's got a lot of different sounds just from those three main pedals I first mentioned, but I think after a few albums he started running out of ideas.

Morello also had some defective guitars during his Rage era. Some of the guitars he used had toggle switch problems causing feedback. One example of this is the Rage song "Bullet In The Head".

Now Tom, as an Audioslave member, uses a lot of delay pedals and more tremolo and whammy. It's pretty cool to see him play live.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
id have to giggle at comparing jimi hendrix to ANYONE...let alone adam jones. hendrix's style doesnt even fit in the same genre as jones. someones smokin da dope

Yeah well, you and I haven't even heard the new album yet, and refer to the title of my post - apparently Andy King's "smokin da dope", because obviously he thought there was some guitar work on the new album that may sound similar to Hendrix. So, honestly, I just thought it'd be a fun topic for open minded people - and it seems to have been so far.

When did Jimi use tapping? I can't say I've heard any tapping in the songs I've listened to, but there are a LOT that I still haven't heard. I thought Steve Hackett from Genesis was credited with popularising tapping (Not to mention Paganini :P)

Oh unfortunately, I don't remember the exact instance, but I have read it in about 2 or 3 articles - it was an improvisation during a live concert performance. If you listen to that version of Red House I was going on about, can't say I'm particularly surprised. And I apologize for not being able to reference it accurately, unfortunately I don't have much time at the moment.