PDA

View Full Version : so here's my say...

greenblazepheno
11-22-2002, 01:34 AM
Well, this is the conclusion of the trilogy, in my opinion (sorry). Hush---> Hooker w/ a Penis---> Ticks & Leeches.

It may not be the conclusion, come to think of it.

Anyway, it's the third instalment in a direct commentary to Tool's fanbase (or those who only wish to be rightfully included in that exclusive category). You want Maynard to scream a little? You want Danny to whack his kit incomprehensibly? You want anything else?

It is, I think, the best of the three. Hush seemed more directed at the media, Hooker at the casual (if absent) devotee. Ticks seems very much concentrated on both groups, in addition to the "real" fan composition of its followers.

Let's face it: most fans are more concerned with the musical element of their albums. The message is an irrelevant notion for "most" fans (not those of us here, of course; we're concerned enough with the band to log-on, write and read). This song is a response to those fans who don't respect the intellect behind the songwriting/production. In other words, the ones who fulfill themselves with aggravating music that is, in itself, hardly timeless, and rarely defines a "period"- only defines a mood.

This is not to say that these fans are fucking useless- that's garbage. Everybody in this world is an equal, whether by societal standards (which don't matter) or not (which does matter). It's just that I'm sure Tool is sick of having to "fulfill" expectations that were set upon the release of Undertow in 1993, and having to fulfill them time and time again. At album number four, it's assumed that any band will approach these feelings, so it shouldn't be surprising that Maynard devoted an entire song to this issue.