PDA

View Full Version : opinions from AK

Cinnamon
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
i can't prove any of this to you, i can only guarantee you that andy told me this on totalrock.com. none of it is factual anyway.

this is justin's best performance as bassist for Tool yet.

he ranks this album as Tool's best after Lateralus, tied with Undertow, dominating Aenima and Opiate. the reason for this is, there's "no defining moment, as with Lateralus (referring to the guitar solo following "and still be a human.."), but still plenty of "ball-rippingly heavy" and "space noodly" moments.

he didn’t answer when i asked him if there were any tracks he didn’t like.

"the album is very f@$# worth the wait."

researchtriangle
03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
justin: most underrated bassist ever.

Kurt Russell
03-14-2006, 09:04 AM
justin: most underrated bassist ever.

Bogart
03-14-2006, 09:06 AM
lock it up

LoKi
03-14-2006, 09:06 AM
you want underrated bass playah???

http://users.skynet.be/extreme-vissers/LMBass1.jpg

BOOM

stinkfish
03-14-2006, 09:09 AM
i can't prove any of this to you, i can only guarantee you that andy told me this on totalrock.com. none of it is factual anyway.

he ranks this album as Tool's best after Lateralus, tied with Undertow, dominating Aenima and Opiate. the reason for this is, there's "no defining moment, as with Lateralus (referring to the guitar solo following "and still be a human.."), but still plenty of "ball-rippingly heavy" and "space noodly" moments.

well his whole opinion just fell flat in my eyes the moment I read he ranks undertow and lateralus over aenima

bass_dude
03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm a little miffed with the whole ranking albums thing, In my view Tool have become more and more musically developed and refined with every album so far, each in my view being better that the last (although none are particularly bad).

But i cannot wait to hear Justin's tone/playing on this album. The first song i heard was Aenima, and the first thing i noticed was the way the drums and bass melded perfectly. From then on, I've never been disappointed with the bass (as Tool is a very Drums/bass orientated band musically).

And he's British! woo :P

heh

Alex

pork chops
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
well his whole opinion just fell flat in my eyes the moment I read he ranks undertow and lateralus over aenima

i couldn't agree more

ArizonaBay
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
How does he know if theres no defining moment after one listen? You cant review a Tool album properly after one listen, just impossible.

Cid
03-14-2006, 09:35 AM

exactly what i thought. aenima > lateralus > undertow > opiate > most albums ever made.

Crucify the Ego
03-14-2006, 09:56 AM
After reading the first review I was curious as to whether this guy was an idiot. This is more evidence. I suspected he was because of his description of a song on the new cd as "Best of Tool", I dont buy it, we'll wait and see. For a side note, we're really not sure why Tool cancelled the interview with him. Sure it could have been for the fact he released a review, but maybe it's because they read the review and thought he was a retard.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
exactly what i thought. aenima > lateralus > undertow > opiate > most albums ever made.
I'd have to agree, but depending on my mood undertow moves up the ladder every so often

chalimar
03-14-2006, 09:58 AM

it's called personal taste, you know.

Cid
03-14-2006, 09:58 AM
After reading the first review I was curious as to whether this guy was an idiot. This is more evidence. I suspected he was because of his description of a song on the new cd as "Best of Tool", I dont buy it, we'll wait and see. For a side note, we're really not sure why Tool cancelled the interview with him. Sure it could have been for the fact he released a review, but maybe it's because they read the review and thought he was a retard.

or that he never had an interview scheduled....

eddie75
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
it's called personal taste, you know.
That it is, so why would we even discuss someone elses personal taste on the subject in the first place?

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I seem to be of the few that puts Lateralus way over Aenima. Lateralus to me, is on another level compared to anything else they released.

Lateralus is perfect. I can't fault it anwhere.

chalimar
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
You will get bashed for having that opinion. Because it's the wrong one. :/

eddie75
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I seem to be of the few that puts Lateralus way over Aenima. Lateralus to me, is on another level compared to anything else they released.

Was lateralus the album that got you into them?

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:10 AM
No, Aenima was the album I heard first. Lateralus was the last I heard.

bass_dude
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
You will get bashed for having that opinion. Because it's the wrong one. :/

No such thing as a wrong one.

IMO Lateralus> Aenima, however lately i've been getting more and more into Aenima. There are loads of good songs on there (Eulogy, H., Stinkfist, Aenima etc) but IMO Lateralus is better as a whole album. I can sit and listen to it all in one sitting when i feel like it, wheras with Aenima, i only really listen to about half of it, while skipping tracks that don't appeal to me. (i wont list them, as i'll probably get flamed or something).

Alex

eddie75
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
hmm that's surprising. You're the first person who got into tool from an earlier album that thought lateralus was their best work

Cid
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM

IMO Lateralus> Aenima, however lately i've been getting more and more into Aenima. There are loads of good songs on there (Eulogy, H., Stinkfist, Aenima etc) but IMO Lateralus is better as a whole album. I can sit and listen to it all in one sitting when i feel like it, wheras with Aenima, i only really listen to about half of it, while skipping tracks that don't appeal to me. (i wont list them, as i'll probably get flamed or something).

Alex

it's your opinion and it can't be wrong, but to me, aenima is perfect. there's not one song on that album that i don't like. well, i like every tool song, but i guess i have the same feeling you have about lateralus, but about aenima.

chalimar
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Alex

I also think that "Lateralus" is the best album they've done so far. But since not many do share that opinion we will get bashed for it, because it's so damn wrong, you see?

Oh and by the way: I started listening to them with "Aenima".

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm sure there are more. After 3 years, I can still listen to Lateralus at anytime I want. I'm listening to Triad right now, I just NEVER get bored of it. There's only a handful of albums that I don't get bored of, Origin of Symmetry being another.

With Aenima I tend to skip some songs. For me, my liking of the albums, is the opposite to their release dates. I see them progressing as they go on. This is why i'm thinking the new album is gonna blow my mind.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't see lateralus as a progression over aenima, more like lateral move.

ARMZ
03-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Meh, Andy heard the album, what twice? how the fuck can he determine that it's better than Lateralus, LET ALONE ÆNIMA, jesus fucking christ....nothing will ever top Ænima in my books.

Cid
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't see lateralus as a progression over aenima, more like lateral move.

yea, totally different than a progression. aenima was perfect for what it was and more to my liking. laterlus is perfect for what it is. i hope the style goes back to more aenima-like.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
I hope they just find a new style, I'd hate to listen to something that I could assosciate with other Tool work. I'd rather a fresh sound to adore.

Nebel
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
For what it's worth he told me that the production was more similar to Aenima...

STA
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM
For what it's worth he told me that the production was more similar to Aenima...

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Weezers,

Lateralus was a progression in numbers of way. Production quality being one of them.

Another one is the interaction between the band. They blend in better. On Aenima they where more seperated from eachother.
Also Aenima was music supporting Maynard, Lateralus is Maynard supporting music.
I thik the only point I agree with here is the production quality.

Cid
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I hope they just find a new style, I'd hate to listen to something that I could assosciate with other Tool work. I'd rather a fresh sound to adore.

that would be great too, and that's probably what this will be.

Cid
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Another one is the interaction between the band. They blend in better. On Aenima they where more seperated from eachother.
Also Aenima was music supporting Maynard, Lateralus is Maynard supporting music.

again, just an opinion, but i totally disagree.

paraflux
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Weezers,

Lateralus was a progression in numbers of way. Production quality being one of them.

When 13th step came out, the production was so warm, that when I went to put Lateralus in a few weeks later, I couldnt listen to it because it was so cold. That's how it was supposed to be, yes, but AEnima is not quite as cold, to me, yet still just as precise. About the blends... doesnt really have as much to do with the members as it does Bottril. Not that that's what you were saying. And the whole support deal... couldnt disagree more. I dont think you can separate Maynard from the rest of the band. His voice is just another instrument, after Undertow anyway.

bass_dude
03-14-2006, 10:35 AM

I found that Aenima was more vocal-orientated than Lateralus. Sure there were all the meanings and deep metaphors etc, but it was more of a message "slid in" between the music, wheras on Aenima it was the message, with the music "wrapped around" it, like a package, you open it (the aggressive intro to most of the songs) to get the the prize (the lyrics)

I prefer the musicianship value of Lateralus, personally, but i have found Aenima to be very good music when you need to relax (i listen to the whole thing when doing English exams, i find it helps me write).

Alex

2and46
03-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Lateralus is a complete work. It flows so fine...almost perfect.

researchtriangle
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
lateralus is kind of cute but aenima is the masterpiece.

2and46
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM

I agree. I want something completely different but yet still completely Tool.

maneva
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
how many times do we need to argue about this?

some people prefer aenima, some prefer lateralus. the end! this argument gets started in just about every tool thread, regardless of the original topic.

and anyways, it's nice to hear more from andy king, even if he isn't the best reviewer.

has he said anything about tabla or bongo work by the way??? i'm curious...

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Another thing I like more about Lateralus is that the album flows better, the songs connect more to eachother (with intention by the band ofcourse). On Aenima, the songs are more individual.

This is probably the clincher for me. This is why I also prefer 13th Step over Mer de Noms.

chalimar
Wow, no bashing. That doesn't happen very often.

Cid

hahhaa...kind of cute?! aenima is a masterpiece though.

ProdigyDub
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM

You can't be serious.

eddie75
Fun, discussing with Aenima people as a Lateralus guy (who was fan since Aenima, and untill Lateralus came out taught Aenima was the best album ever).

I rather relax to Lateralus, maybe I'm just more in it for the musicianship value on Lateralus.

Another thing I like more about Lateralus is that the album flows better, the songs connect more to eachother (with intention by the band ofcourse). On Aenima, the songs are more individual.
I like the fact that aenima holds more of the hard edge from undertow, where lateralus kind of loses it a bit. Don't get me wrong I really love lateralus, but as tool goes I think aenima was just a better album.

researchtriangle
This is why I also prefer 13th Step over Mer de Noms.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lateralus. But in some parts it's almost a mockery of the ferocity of certain Aenima pieces.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
You're an idiot.

Cheers. And well done on bringing the tone of the topic down - there's always one.

eddie75
This is probably the clincher for me. This is why I also prefer 13th Step over Mer de Noms.
I'm not a huge APC fan, but I do think Mer de Noms blew away 13th step. I can't listen to either album all the way through, but I can listen to more of mer de noms.

Staticfactory
hmm that's surprising. You're the first person who got into tool from an earlier album that thought lateralus was their best work

I think I fit that bill as well.

I got into Tool when they released Undertow and only gave the album a few spins (maybe 20 listenings) before I let it go (in favor of a lot of the Seattle movement). When Aenima was released I was really impressed!!

By the time 97 had rolled around, I was so in love with Aenima that I decided to go back and give Undertow another chance. I fell in love with it completely. All of a sudden it's 2001 and I'm seeing a commercial on TV for Lateralus.

I wasn't online (in any forums) for the pre-release madness back then, but when I heard the opening to The Grudge while driving out of the Mall parking lot... holy FACK! I don't think I have ever fallen so deeply in love with an album so quickly in my entire life. It took all of about a minute and a half and I was hooked.

Now that I've given each album (Opiate and Salival included) thousands of spins each, I think that Lateralus is still number one in my books. I liked it's production over their earlier albums and Danny just completely raised the bar (which says a lot considering his amazing work on the earlier albums.)

Knowing that this album will be heavier... I have a feeling that it's going to take the number 1 place on my list. Wishful thinking, maybe.

maneva
03-14-2006, 10:46 AM
There is no argument, just a healthy discussion. A discussion to kill time untill 10,000 days is released.

So we can start discussing something new!

ok, healthy discussion. it still has very little to do with the thread topic.

we need a thread for this kind of thing. i'm sure there already is one (aenima vs. lateralus), so let's bring it back, instead of polluting this and every other thread with the same old argument.

researchtriangle
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I just can't see anyone liking 13th step that much to have any sense of artistic merit whatsoever. Sorry...

bass_dude
03-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I just can't see anyone liking 13th step that much to have any sense of artistic merit whatsoever. Sorry...

That is a really close-minded, and frankly ignorant way of thinking, to be honest. Judging someone's "artistic merit" on the fact that they like something you don't is a really bad attitude. Sorry...

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
You don't seem to realise music affects people in different ways.

I prefer it, because at the time it got me through so much shit. You really start to depend on music, when everything around you is going pear shaped. Thriteenth Step was the album I listened to in my depression, and it was a big 'pick me up'.

I don't even see why I have to explain myself all the time.

Staticfactory
03-14-2006, 10:56 AM

I loved Mer de Noms when I first heard it. It was so soft and beautiful with nice hooks and interesting melodies. I did not like 13th Step at all when I first listened to it. It seemed to lack a lot of the body of MdN, but after I revisited it again about a year later, I started to warm up to it. Now there are quite a few tracks on 13th that I would consider favorites. Opinions and tastes are ever-changing though.

paraflux
03-14-2006, 10:56 AM
That's your prerogative, and also your problem. No flaming in here.

My perspective is that the life of 13th Step is/was much greater than Mer de Noms. I choose 13th Step as well, it has all of the production yet the vocals are largely un-produced, and Maynard pulls it off well. The Noose, Blue, Pet, and gravity are all killer tracks to me.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 10:57 AM
i think we can all agree that not everything can be as amazing as emotive

Cid
Tsk Tsk, this was a nice discussion. No bashing allowed. APC has a problem on both cd's, most songs started to become boring after a while.

From Mer de Noms these songs survived:
the Hollow
Magdalena
Thomas

From 13 Step these songs survived
the Package
Weak & Powerless
the Noose
Blue

weak and powerless is one of the most boring songs i've heard...pet is much better.

Madklikor

No, I think Lateralus is way better too, and everyone I know that are into Tool got into Tool with Aenima and still prefer Lateralus.

STA
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
i think we can all agree that not everything can be as amazing as emotive

Why do people do it?

InertUniformity
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM

^ garbage.

I love 13th Step...and I love Lateralus...explain that.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
i got into Tool with undertow and firmly believe that Aenima is the greatest album ever made. i'm not saying that lateralus is bad by any means, but Aenima blows it out of the water.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
as for my comment about emotive being amazing......it is amazingly the most awful thing i have ever heard.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
weak and powerless is one of the most boring songs i've heard...pet is much better.
I also think weak and powerless has some of the cheesiest lyrics of all time
"like a solitary salad fork"

Staticfactory
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
The Noose, Blue, Pet, and gravity are all killer tracks to me.

I agree 100%. I JUST fell in love with Gravity about 6 months ago after forgetting all about it and having it pop up on random play.

I'm still a huge fan of many of the MdN tracks though... especially Orestes, Magdalena and Thomas.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I also think weak and powerless has some of the cheesiest lyrics of all time
"like a solitary salad fork"

What? What the hell were you listening to? That's definately not Weak & Powerless.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
What? What the hell were you listening to? That's definately not Weak & Powerless.
Maybe I was wrong, really haven't listened to it that many times, but it sure sounds like that.

Bogart
03-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I prefer Lateralus to Aenima because it sounds better as a whole album. The songs flow together niceley whereas Aenima the tracks seem more individual.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 11:10 AM
solitary salad fork=solitary siren, one

hahahaha

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
It doesn't sound like he's saying 'fork' at all? Well, I don't hear it. I can see why you may have thought that, seeing as 'digging' is the first word on that line.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I think after the dracual line it wasn't unexpected to have another cheesy line like salad fork behind it. I think I've actually listened to that song twice.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I think after the dracual line it wasn't unexpected to have another cheesy line like salad fork behind it. I think I've actually listened to that song twice.

Dragon. :P

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
No, I am correct about dracula. It's "white as dracula", because white as dragon doesn't really work

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Tilling my own grave to keep me level
Jam another dragon down the hole
Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary siren
One that pushes me along and leaves me so
Desperate and ravenous
So weak and powerless
Over you

Someone feed the monkey while I dig in search of China
White as Dracula as I approach the bottom
Desperate and ravenous
So weak and powerless
Over you

Little angel, go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little
Solace and some peace of mind
Whatever, just as long as I don't feel so
Desperate and ravenous
So weak and powerless

Desperate and ravenous
So weak and powerless
Over you
Over you

No, you are wrong.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
See white as dracula

2and46
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Damn I feel old...I got into Tool from the beginning, even before I saw the sober vid. I appreciate the progression. All 3 albums (not counting Opiate) have a completely different feel, and I love all of them. Different period pieces for me, from different phases of my life. However...Lateralus is the most complete album. Its like a grande novel, its hard to just pick and choose this track better than the other one. They all flow.

Boozy Eulogist
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Fan since Undertow's release. Lateralus is my favorite, but it's lacking in the stand alone heavy hitters imo.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Damn I feel old...I got into Tool from the beginning, even before I saw the sober vid. I appreciate the progression. All 3 albums (not counting Opiate) have a completely different feel, and I love all of them. Different period pieces for me, from different phases of my life. However...Lateralus is the most complete album. Its like a grande novel, its hard to just pick and choose this track better than the other one. They all flow.
I got into them when undertow came out as well. You're only as old as you feel, atleast that's what I tell myself.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
See white as dracula

Yeah, I know that line. But the solitary 'salad fork' bit is after the Dragon line.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but the lame dracual line made it easy to believe they'd put in another lame line like salad fork. I got that album right when it came out and always skipped that song after the first listen or two.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Ah I see. The way it was typed, led me to believe it must have been a bad line following on from the Dragon line. My mistake. Sorry.

eddie75
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
No problem, just a case of misunderstanding much like my own.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I started listening to TOOL around '94 or so. I think that AEnima is probably just as good as Lateralus, but I tend to crave Lateralus more.

BTW, anyone ask Andy King if the 20 second bongo/guitar clip is TOOL or not? Maybe its been addressed in another topic.

rochey-o
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
13th step > mer de noms

only tracks i dont like on thirteenth step are pet, that one with the lady whining, and the nurse song

2and46
03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I got into them when undertow came out as well. You're only as old as you feel, atleast that's what I tell myself.

The album progression almost runs side by side with my life. Undertow- the angry, aggressive younger years; Aenima- the beginning of the search for meaning in life; and Lateralus- the apex, the understanding. Now I can't wait for the next one. Is anyone having bizarre dreams of hearing new music in their heads? Or am I just crazy? Don't answer that.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 11:33 AM
13th step > mer de noms

only tracks i dont like on thirteenth step are pet, that one with the lady whining, and the nurse song

That lady whining is Jordie White

chalimar
03-14-2006, 11:34 AM
solitary salad fork. lmao.

rochey-o
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
i dont know who that is : \

paraflux
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Jeordie is the bassist.

pork chops
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
i dont know who that is : \

HE'S the bassist for APC

rochey-o
03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
ohhh

mike09
03-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I got into Tool with Aenima and I also think Lateralus is better. I guess, for me, I think the thing I like more about Lateralus is the fact that the songwriting just seems much tighter. Everything seems to have a point to it, while I think there's elements to Aenima that come off as a little too excessive, or that certain sections of the songs could have been worked on harder, like they weren't finished. For example, I love "Eulogy" but absolutely despise the part right after Maynard yells out "...to nail the next fool martyr!" Adam is playing a pinch harmonic riff, but it doesn't seem to fit the song at that point. Something much heavier would have fit better, I think. It makes the song lose momentum.

Vaginal Replicator
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
How dare he say that Undertow is better than Aenima.

dracomordag
03-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I got into tool on Aenima, and I still think Lateralus is way better. They're both phenomenal works in their own right, but to me, Lateralus is what does it. It's much more epic and intricate, while Aenima is just a shitload of good rock songs.

It doesn't really matter because I'm sure, just as they have moving between every album, the band will go a new, equally Toolish direction.

EDIT: I feel it's the same way with APC... 13th step (the better one in my opinion) was such a different work... I always found it kind of odd that I like 13th Step and Lateralus more than Mer de Noms and Aenima for near the same reason: I don't really know how ot describe it, but something about the way the music works just speaks to me.

I haven't really followed what other peoples combined opinions are, but would I be right to say that most MdN fans are Aenima fans, while most 13th fans are Lateralus fans?

2and46
03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I got into tool on Aenima, and I still think Lateralus is way better. They're both phenomenal works in their own right, but to me, Lateralus is what does it. It's much more epic and intricate, while Aenima is just a shitload of good rock songs.

It doesn't really matter because I'm sure, just as they have moving between every album, the band will go a new, equally Toolish direction.

EDIT: I feel it's the same way with APC... 13th step (the better one in my opinion) was such a different work... I always found it kind of odd that I like 13th Step and Lateralus more than Mer de Noms and Aenima for near the same reason: I don't really know how ot describe it, but something about the way the music works just speaks to me.

I haven't really followed what other peoples combined opinions are, but would I be right to say that most MdN fans are Aenima fans, while most 13th fans are Lateralus fans?

I know I'm in the minority it seems, but i agree; I like 13th better. Maybe its the whole addictions theme...takes me to a rather difficult in my past.

Staticfactory
03-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Interesting thought. Personally, I'd choose Lateralus over Aenima (by only a little bit) and MdN over 13th Step (by a bit larger of a margin.)

Aenima and Lateralus are both such amazing albums that it's really hard to pick. Besides the production and drumming on Lateralus, it's tracks like Die Eier Von Satan and Cesaro Summability (tracks that I skip) that give Lateralus the slight advantage.

Undertow also wins in that category... every song is actually a song! Dig it!

maneva
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Interesting thought. Personally, I'd choose Lateralus over Aenima (by only a little bit) and MdN over 13th Step (by a bit larger of a margin.)

yeah, this is what i'd go with, except i like mer de noms a LOT more than 13th step.

TOOLEK
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Although "Aenima" used to be my favourite, when I got deeper into "Lateralus" it became the best album to me ever. It's so mature if it is about music and lyrics. I believe the new album will be even better.

Tyro
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I love all four, makes it easy for me.

Citizen Erased
03-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I think this is probably right. They are similar albums according to structure. I mean, they flow so well through each song, and the majority of the songs endings, are the beginnings of the next song.

Cid
03-14-2006, 12:32 PM

that's true for me.

jhnygsh
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM

my first disc bought was undertow and i agree that lateralus is their best work. it was nice to put the anger away for awhile for the chance to grow on a personal level... cant be angry all the time. thats why i like lateralus so much. aenima second.

lot of things to be pissed about now though, so itll be nice to have some cynicism again.

Sol Invictus
03-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I think its safe to say most of the tool fans i know at my college all have different favorite albums at different times. Just as i do, so its safe to say that no ones opinion is wrong and that at any given time any album by tool or any other band can fit a mood or situation your dealing with perfectly. Thats the beauty of music the relation.

jhnygsh
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I think its safe to say most of the tool fans i know at my college all have different favorite albums at different times. Just as i do, so its safe to say that no ones opinion is wrong and that at any given time any album by tool or any other band can fit a mood or situation your dealing with perfectly. Thats the beauty of music the relation.

well put

Metalhos
03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
How does he know if theres no defining moment after one listen? You cant review a Tool album properly after one listen, just impossible.

one lonely useful answer to first post. was anyone able to remark lateralus finest moments on first listen? i doubt that.

and fuck on that stupid discussions, if album x > album y. all albums are great great works - from a different perspective. why still comparing? be happy you have 'em in your shelves.

my penis is bigger than yours. who fucking cares?

mattw
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I haven't yet heard any of 10,000 Days but I'm going to rate it right up there with Aenima and Lateralus...

God I look forward to the comparisons that will come:

Is 10,000 Days > Lateralus? Is 10,000 Days > Aenima and so on...

Many years of debate will follow.

evfain
03-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Whatever, "defining moment" is totally subjective. Example: the solo he is referencing is nothing compared to the last third of the end vocals, where Danny hits the gong and Adam switches the chords. That's my defining moment on that album. And that, as well, is just an opinion.

Wretched
03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I liked Lateralus more, but Undertow, speficially the song Sober, is what I liked the most for a long - long time. Probably cause I heard that album first.

mike09
03-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Whatever, "defining moment" is totally subjective. Example: the solo he is referencing is nothing compared to the last third of the end vocals, where Danny hits the gong and Adam switches the chords. That's my defining moment on that album. And that, as well, is just an opinion.

That's mine too.

Adam's wah-wah chords + Justins wammy bar usage + Danny's Gong + Maynard's great lyrics = goosebumps.

That is the peak of the album in my opinion.

Ancalagon
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
"For example, I love "Eulogy" but absolutely despise the part right after Maynard yells out "...to nail the next fool martyr!" Adam is playing a pinch harmonic riff, but it doesn't seem to fit the song at that point. Something much heavier would have fit better, I think. It makes the song lose momentum."

NOOOOO! I love that part ...

But, of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

researchtriangle
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
how about in anima when maynard says 'don't just call me a pessimist, try and read between the lines'

thats like blowing a huge wad right there. great lyric too.

Liam
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM

i prefer: "you're only as old as who you feel."

Natalie Portman
03-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Ænima>Lateralus>*

And you are, in fact, only as old as you feel. I will never "grow up," however I may get old. Old people suck.

dracomordag
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
There are some great climaxes on Aenimna ("I must persuade you another way." "Cuz I'm praying for rain"), but nothing beats the monstrous ending that is the song, Lateralus.

"With my feet upon the ground, etc."

fucking fantastic.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by intolerant1977

i dont know who that is :

That is Devo, Maynard's son

dracomordag
03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
That is Devo, Maynard's son

there are actually like 10000 theories on who it is.

I forget which one was real, but I know the Jeordie thing was only half fake... He's singing in the background, but not the one everyone thinks of.

something like that. I'm to lazy to go research it now.

Hannibal
03-14-2006, 09:04 PM
or that he never had an interview scheduled....

ding ding! fuck Andy King.

Aenima owns Lateralus.