PDA

View Full Version : How the fake cover happened to come into existance

ShaunConnelly
03-13-2006, 05:41 AM
The idea of a tool doing a landscape is original enough for someone out there to speculate that tool, themselves being original enough to defy most others speculation, might do a landscape for their next cover. Think about it, their art has largely been figurative up until now. Someone had taken much time to prepare a thought provoking toolish landscape yet withheld the title name until it had been released. That is why the font looks as if it has been used from one of the standards, and a dead give away, in my opinion, as to the fakeness of the cover. On previous covers, TOOL have invented their own fonts. But might I say, that fake cover (the black and gold one) impressed me considerably.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:44 AM
The idea of a tool doing a landscape is original enough for someone out there to speculate that tool, themselves being original enough to defy most others speculation, might do a landscape for their next cover. Think about it, their art has largely been figurative up until now. Someone had taken much time to prepare a thought provoking toolish landscape yet withheld the title name until it had been released. That is why the font looks as if it has been used from one of the standards, and a dead give away, in my opinion, as to the fakeness of the cover. On previous covers, TOOL have invented their own fonts. But might I say, that fake cover (the black and gold one) impressed me considerably.
figurative? I would say the artwork is more graphic, in that its design is highly taken into regard..

ShaunConnelly
03-13-2006, 05:44 AM
By figurative I mean it refers to the human figure. Lateralus mostly.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:46 AM
By figurative I mean it refers to the human figure. Lateralus mostly.
oh ok thats true.

idontmind462
03-13-2006, 05:49 AM
Their videos are highly figurative.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Their videos are highly figurative.
figurative in a distorted scary way :P

idontmind462
03-13-2006, 05:51 AM
You could describe their music as mostly figurative up until Lateralus.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:54 AM
You could describe their music as mostly figurative up until Lateralus.
uh what do you mean by that? how can music be made of the figure? music is sound? I would say the visuals they use are figurative, not their music.

ShaunConnelly
03-13-2006, 05:54 AM
How can music be figurative? If it relates to numbers? I suppose it does.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:58 AM
How can music be figurative? If it relates to numbers? I suppose it does.
then it would be numerical, not figurative.

Rubb.
03-13-2006, 05:58 AM
lol according to the internet no is a lil bit of a bootleg someone somehow managed to get from one of the listening tour. Why am I posting it in this thread? Becuase I can't be bothered leaving that's why.

ArizonaBay
03-13-2006, 06:08 AM
cool riff where you get it from?

Rubb.
03-13-2006, 06:11 AM
it was literally a freind of a friend. Sounds more like Rammstain than Tool though. FAKE.

ArizonaBay
03-13-2006, 06:15 AM
does sound very rammstein, i like it though, kind of an egyptian vibe

ShaunConnelly
03-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Doesn't all music relate to numbers in some way, like how many beats to a bar and the length of each beat. By the way, that new riff is heavy...

Rubb.
03-13-2006, 06:30 AM
It must weigh at least 23kg

Paradigm619
03-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Pretty rad clip. Gotta say I like it. It has a lot of potential.

StoneyB
03-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes, all music does relate to numbers. Some music classes teach that the definition of music is a disturbance of air over a given length of time. One of the reasons why Tool have such a unique style is because they use such odd rythms and time changes. Something that really hasn't been done much since the days of Rush.

paganman7
03-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't care if the album artwork had Fred Durst bending Jonathan Davis over whilst eating cotton candy. I wouldn't care if the song titles were Butt Love 1-11...I just want Maynard's ridiculously smooth and steady vocals, Adams huge riffs, Justin's driving playing, and Danny's tribal bass-snare combos...I want the music, the rest is superfluous.

EulogyCallinMe
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM

so does this mean we know the origin of this cover? because i also think its pretty good, the fonts and such im not too sure about. i am not a huge fan of the new logo but im not either of the lateralus one but that doesnt matter to me.

gl0tch
03-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Perhaps someone should ask Blair?

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
lol according to the internet no is a lil bit of a bootleg someone somehow managed to get from one of the listening tour. Why am I posting it in this thread? Becuase I can't be bothered leaving that's why.

We have no way of knowing if that is fake or not but whoever it is thats pretty sexy.

Myriad: Days To Come
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
You were all saying that music can in no way be figurative. Have you ever endeavored into the visuals that Tool describes in their music... ESPECIALLY Lateralus. Lateralus was all based upon the ascension of the human body into something more mental and spiritual. Take the song Parabol/Parabola. This is one case of a very figurative song.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 10:58 AM
You were all saying that music can in no way be figurative. Have you ever endeavored into the visuals that Tool describes in their music... ESPECIALLY Lateralus. Lateralus was all based upon the ascension of the human body into something more mental and spiritual. Take the song Parabol/Parabola. This is one case of a very figurative song.
no, they guy meant figurative as in the music is made of the figure, as in the body instead of landscape, whatever that means.

orange.juice
03-13-2006, 11:03 AM
mmm some buddhist thang?

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-13-2006, 11:21 AM
It really was a pretty good fake, I will give them credit for that.

hateAliases
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
anybody got a link to the fake? i have no idea what ur talking about.... pls!

tDoXoMl
03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
We have no way of knowing if that is fake or not but whoever it is thats pretty sexy.

how come this link brings me to some disney page? cruel joke

Dharma Bear
03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
lol according to the internet no is a lil bit of a bootleg someone somehow managed to get from one of the listening tour.

Regardless of authenticity, I dig the sound of that clip alot!

AbjectEvolution
03-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Regardless of authenticity, I dig the sound of that clip alot!

Could someone repost the clip? It's gone.

von satan
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't care if the album artwork had Fred Durst bending Jonathan Davis over whilst eating cotton candy. I wouldn't care if the song titles were Butt Love 1-11...I just want Maynard's ridiculously smooth and steady vocals, Adams huge riffs, Justin's driving playing, and Danny's tribal bass-snare combos...I want the music, the rest is superfluous.

now this dude knows whats up............i couldnt agree more, the MUSIC is shitloads more important than artwork OR song names....... well said pagan

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Butt Love would be a bitchin title