PDA

View Full Version : THE POT???

godhenry
03-13-2006, 05:06 AM
(sorry i was going to make this a new topic since this was totally OT to lachrymoIogy's previous thread. But I messed up. So now I'm making it a new post (so i guess i lied when i said it was my first and last post here...)

I usually don't really care. But with some people's strong dislike of a possible tracktitle "the pot" because of its seeminly irrelevance (mostly due to our perception of the word "pot" as in "the boiling pot" or something marijuana related), I'd like to offer the following. Since on the tracktitle pot is preceded by a definte article, it's not likely that it's referring to weed unless they're talking about a very specific weed. And TOOL claims to be not politcal, so we can rule out "the boiling pot." But if we stay on the same track to think of it as being referred to something SPECIFIC in a proverb or slang, one comes to mind immediately: "the pot calls the kettle blackarse." This proverb and variations of it have appeared in all different literature. It means to point out a person to be making a hypocritical statement. To spare myself writing up a coherent explanation to this proverb, I googled it. Here's a passage I've found on an article on this proverb:

"In the Dictionary of Cliches (Rogers 1985), the author gives a rather elaborate definition and implies that the pot mistakenly assumes that the kettle is more flawed:

An assertion that someone else has the very faults that can be attributed to you (the presumption being that the accuser is unaware of having such faults). The saying dates from centuries ago, when stoves ran on wood and coal. Presumably after long use, both the pot and the kettle would be black. We can almost surmise, however, that in many households the kettle, particularly if made of copper, was kept polished and hence, reflect the blackness of the pot. The pot, looking at the reflection,would see black which would appear to be on the side of the kettle; the pot could then accuse the kettle of a fault it did not have. Don Quixote, written in the early 17th century, contains a sentence that can be translated: "You are like what is said that the frying pan said to the kettle, 'Avant, black-browes'" (Rogers 202).

In Ronald Ridout and Clifford Writing's English Proverbs Explained (1967) we get the equally dark explanation:

A person tends to blame another for the faults he has himself. The soot from an open fire blackens the cooking utensils placed upon it, and the pot becomes no less blackened than the kettle. It has, therefore, no right to criticize the kettle, and neither have we the right to condemn others for behaving in the same way as we do ourselves."

Sounds like Reflection gone south....
...or "Do unto you now what has been done to me."

This is probably my first and last post. Good luck and see you around when TOOL comes to tour!

H.

zenkinet
03-13-2006, 05:06 AM
why did you make a new post for this?

rsh
03-13-2006, 05:29 AM
i lost interest at : (sorry

Happyfunball
03-13-2006, 05:56 AM
I sometimes rather prefer another popular phrase: Shit or get off.

auroboros
03-13-2006, 05:58 AM
all the hype over the new track listing/title : i do not understand how people can judge, hell even dislike the titles without a frame of reference behind them ie lyrics, music (subject matter). its amazing. For instance, the pot...ok it sounds cheesy if u attach your mind to lame shitheads out there that insult your intelligence every day. Hey this is TOOL.
With a voice of reason. we can not analyse anything until that voice has been told and the context has arrived.

ok theres my rant in e minor

peace

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 06:51 AM
still doesn't validate calling a song "the pot"

Paradigm619
03-13-2006, 07:15 AM
it's pretty obvious that half of the people who responded didn't read anything he had to say.

He actually makes a good point. At least a better point than people who are criticizing the song title.

Vaginal Replicator
03-13-2006, 09:10 AM
That description is really Kvlt and Gr1m.

Andorion
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
still doesn't validate calling a song "the pot"

Bingo :) I really don't care one way or the other, names won't affect the music, but be honest - there are more creative names (and i'm not talking lofty stupid sounding ones) that would convey the same concept, or at least hint at it, without sounding sorta silly.

Watching and mentioning
03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I think it's awesome that people like godhenry think outside the literal sense of the word and have a huge openness to what new tool might be like, unlike some people who just are here to judge others opinions.

I know people are giddy and anxious that a new tool album is coming, but just because you've already judged it off song titles, album title, and theoritcal artwork and it hasn't met your "expectations" doesn't justify telling people that they're wrong or stupid does it?

I don't know if godhenry is right, and knowing tool, he's probably way off, but it's great to see minds going in other directions that the obvious.

Spiral out

khemystri
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
The Pot > H.

Estevan
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
The Pot is the ceramic thing you sit on and sqeeze out your poop into and flush it into the sewers where the magical goblin jews live and feast greedily on everyone's poop.

ArizonaBay
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
The Pot > H.

H>The Pot

tDoXoMl
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
i liked reading this thread

Wretched
03-13-2006, 03:49 PM
The Cot would be a better song name. It could be about sitting on your cot and getting a blowjob or some sort of sexual pleasure that (you guys) can translate into some meaningful dribble.

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
The Cot would be a better song name. It could be about sitting on your cot and getting a blowjob or some sort of sexual pleasure that (you guys) can translate into some meaningful dribble.

truth

rimb
03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
As soon as I saw this title, I did NOT associate it with marijuana.

More a 'pot' of ideas and the stirring of it....

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 04:51 PM
melting pot..political , right?

rimb
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah, something along those lines.

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
you know it's gonna have that double-meaning magic they always have

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 04:57 PM

ehhh... not really

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
ehhh... not really
oh well, i tried...SARRY!

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
s'ok

harbong
03-13-2006, 05:46 PM
tool keeps their gold and platinum records next to their rehearsal space toilet.
the song is about how they indirectly piss on their fans who buy their albums.

Tyson
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Out of the frying pan, into

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
The Perversion Of Truth

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 06:00 PM
the fire?

moneyisevil
03-14-2006, 03:04 PM
i can almost rest asure the song "the pot" is not goingto be about weed

Animus X torsi
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
its about witches

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2006, 03:09 PM

How about "The Rot" (The Cot Part 2), that could be about what you get after "The Cot" =P

moneyisevil
03-14-2006, 03:14 PM
The Perversion Of Truth
i like this mans wayof thinking

maybe some track titles stand for something else...who knows but i like this

STA
03-14-2006, 03:20 PM
i like this mans wayof thinking

maybe some track titles stand for something else...who knows but i like this

Did you like it when Mudvayne did it four years ago?

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Isn't there some ancient Chinese proverb about "The Pot"??, sware I saw that in a movie somewhere...

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
The Perversion Of Truth

... ah an acronym - that's a distinct possibility, and that is a sweet suggestion.

moneyisevil
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Did you like it when Mudvayne did it four years ago?
ummm no

Het_Bijeenroepen
03-14-2006, 04:15 PM
... ah an acronym - that's a distinct possibility, and that is a sweet suggestion.
I'm really drawn to that as a song title. I really like this idea, nice one.
However, I can't help but feel as if it gives fuel to the "tracklist as code" camp; perversion of truth, ie the tracklist is a perversion of truth, not the real tracklist. I hope The Pot is a real song.

godhenry
04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
don't mean to brag but i guess i'm bragging.

but i was the first one on this board who called it (read the OP). thank you! :-)

Vegama
04-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Yo....

You put piss on maynard's black kettle...

Do you know what a kettle is little boy?

(I'm referring to the chorus where he mentions said kettle.)

(It's not during the chorus, but he non-the-less mentions a black kettle)

Scrunzset
04-19-2006, 03:20 AM
HIGH