PDA

View Full Version : H.(ospital)

greenblazepheno
11-22-2002, 01:03 AM
I've always perceived this sucker to have been written while Maynard was on tubes and vines struggling with AIDS. Now that that possibility has been falsified, I have to consider another interpretation of the song. It'll come when I'm ready...

My old song reading is as follows: Maynard's talking about "snakes" (IV tubes) and "recalling all of the times/I have died/and will die/that's all right/I don't mind". When I first heard the album in 97, I almost cried at the transparency of these ideas. However, considering Maynard has been touring successfully (and in good condition) for two years, the imminent death notion has fallen by the wayside- and thus the "transparency" has become "opaque".

What is he talking about here? I don't know. I'd like to think the H. is in reference to the typical hospital but it may also be some literary citation I'm unfamiliar with.

Regardless, I will persevere in my understanding that it has hospital hallways and rooms and beds in its composition, and that it will forever be related to the lyricist's inevitable approach toward death.

(The "cartoon" speech that was carried out by Maynard a few years ago in concert must be bullshit (i.e. the consciences, the devil and the angel, etc.). I don't see how it could possibly relate to these lyrics but again, I may be wrong...)