PDA

View Full Version : fuck your tattoos.

idiotboy
11-21-2002, 11:43 PM
i find that flaming eye near the end of the "parabola" video to be a link to "third eye", for obvious enough reasons.

and i wanted to tell everyone that, despite the line "fuck your tattoos" in aenema, i can't live my life by lyrics and in july i got that very eye tattoo'ed on my left hip as a reminder and mission statement to have compassion, understanding, and to try to become a better person in general, leaving my personal flaws behind me.

does anybody want to see a picture?

randysnow
11-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Well I thank maybe maynard was talking to someone like tommy lee with his MAYHEM tattoo..i mean thats just dumb for him to hate all tattoo's because he has a VERY large tattoo..thats really not all that cool..so tattoos are cool and I plan on getting more btw i would like to see the tat

haftelm
11-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Yea, I would like to see a pic of your tat. send me an email or something.

YGOfvn
11-23-2002, 12:35 AM
yeah, what is the deal with maynard hating tattos anyways? Cuz he has one right there and.... just dosn't make sense does anyone know whats up with that?

shade13
11-23-2002, 11:13 AM
I've seen a picture of the scorpion he has all the way up his back. Kinda cool... but huge.
But you know.. maybe he does hate tattoos and regrets ever getting them. I know a lot of people who have.
But I think that the statement is more for those stupid little teeny boppers who get tats of flaming dice, or butterfly wings, or something else as cliched and contrived as everyone else wears. People who get a tattoo just for the sake of it and not as anything special or meaningful.

Necronomicon
11-23-2002, 08:54 PM
I thought Maynard had a vertebrae running up his spine?

That's what it looked like in the 3 Libras video.

He's probably referring to dumb, pointless tats, something like "dumb overused dragon on arm," some shit like that.

God
11-23-2002, 09:12 PM
I would like to see a picture of the tattoo if you could send it to me.

48&2
11-24-2002, 02:36 AM
I think you guys arent really looking at the broad statement made in ÆNIMA. Maynard is not saying he hates tattoos...he is just making stereotypes of those type of people who just do whatever they think is 'cool'....not thinking for themselves....(sorry bout not posting in aenima section, its just that where on this topic here...)

Kitteh
11-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by idiotboy

does anybody want to see a picture?
I'd like to see it! In fact, I thought about getting the same eye near my ankle. I want to see if it'll look good. I'm sure it does.

dan
11-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Necronomicon
I thought Maynard had a vertebrae running up his spine?

That's what it looked like in the 3 Libras video.

He's probably referring to dumb, pointless tats, something like "dumb overused dragon on arm," some shit like that.

maynard has a scorpion tatoo, starting below his belt line and running up to close to his shoulder blades, i believe. i thought it was a spine myself, but have since been informed otherwise.

i agree, when he says "fuck your tatoos", he is telling people not to be so goddamn trendy, like a tatoo of a japanese character or something like that.

peace!

haftelm
11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Scorpian ehh? Are you sure it doesn't look like a snake..............."the snake behind me hisses....." maybe i am wrong. The fact that there a bunch of people considering getting the "flameing eye" tattoo proves maynards view of tattoos in AEnima. If it has some meaning to you then go for it......but if you are just getting (any) tattoo to look cool then thats just being stupid.

Machine
11-25-2002, 02:18 PM
I think what he's saying in general is fuck all the BS . I have two tats but and plan on getting more but I dont do it to look cool or hard . Both the ones I have and those I plan on gettting have very spacific means to me .What hes railing on is fakes , people that do or say whatever just cause everyone else is , the sheep

juliette
11-26-2002, 03:41 PM
In the 3 Libras video, you can also see the APC logo on his chest if you look closely. I want to see the pic, too. :)

soul_excursion
11-27-2002, 04:19 AM
when maynard sang "fuck your tattoos" in 'aenema' he was talking to the boy from 'hooker with a penis'... then he says "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories", meaning those of us who forgot who he was talking about with the tattoo line

Zulehan
11-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by soul_excursion
when maynard sang "fuck your tattoos" in 'aenema' he was talking to the boy from 'hooker with a penis'... then he says "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories", meaning those of us who forgot who he was talking about with the tattoo line

Haha, nice thought. This didn't occur to me. I don't think it's the case, but clever idea.

Good choice of tattoo, idiotboy. I'll pass on the pic.

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by idiotboy
i find that flaming eye near the end of the "parabola" video to be a link to "third eye", for obvious enough reasons.

i find it more to be a link to alex grey's art...

art is a subconcious act...simply what the subconcious mind does

Mantra123
11-28-2002, 07:51 AM
to me the tattoo looks like a spine with a tear at the end of it
http://toolshed.down.net/pix/mjk/mjktattoo.jpg

nothingman
12-03-2002, 01:29 PM
the tattoo is a scorpion, i have seen it up close at concerts. when he wears the speedo it is clear.

also, he says "try and read between the lines" in that very same song. think about it. he is not saying that tattoos in and of themselves are phony. it is the people who believe that a tattoo makes them something more than who they are that are the fakes.

ShackledEidolon
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
I always thought that his tattoo was the Kundalini but it might be a scorpion instead...any ideas of the meaning on that?

I myself have a large tattoo on my back...and I tend to think that the Lyric is talking about tattoos for the sake of getting a tattoo rather then a desire to say something meaningful.

nikstar
12-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by haftelm
Scorpian ehh? Are you sure it doesn't look like a snake..............."the snake behind me hisses....." maybe i am wrong. The fact that there a bunch of people considering getting the "flameing eye" tattoo proves maynards view of tattoos in AEnima. If it has some meaning to you then go for it......but if you are just getting (any) tattoo to look cool then thats just being stupid.

It's definitely a scorpion.
I definitely think that was the best idea, tattooing it there along his spine, though. It just seems suited that it should be there, since the shape of it is sort of like the spine too. Anyway, that's not what I wanted to say.

Others have said this already, but I wanted to add my own thoughts to it. The "fuck your tattoos" line, to me, is in reference to those trendy little kids who go around getting tattoos, piercings, whatever makes them "different" (but eventually, since they're all doing it, the SAME.) People have lost all sense of originality. Of the hundreds or so people that I've known my whole life, I'd say that maybe 10%, IF that, were very creative, original people. Perhaps in "Fuck your tattoos", what is implied is "fuck your lack of self, and self love".

Brutice
12-07-2002, 11:09 PM
I apologise as i've never, ever posted anything, before, but this seemed to intrigue me, as i am quite the fan of tool and of tattoos. Now on the topic of tattoos, or rather materialism, my whole ideal on life, is do what makes you happy, if that means being a drone, go for it, if that means being materialistic, fine, you're not interrupting anybody else's life, so be happy. Now i'm not meterialistic at all, as i find material really isn't important in survival, the hunt, whatever, and after being in a very bad period, what's making me happy is exploring life, my conciousness, and just generaly growing as a person and as a being. But on the topic, i love tattoos, and piercing, i've pierced my liprette, and enjoy piercing my eyebrow from time to time, hell if i had my way, i'd stick syringes(sp?) in my scalp to A) feel the pain and B) have a dandy looking mohawk, but i also want tattoos, that have no meaning, other than the fact that they look cool and reflect my thoughts, does this mean i'm a sheep or a bad person, midn you i'm open to thought and oppinion, just eager to learns the Tool community's thoughts...