PDA

View Full Version : Speculation that may intrigue you

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Tool has apparently become “easy.” The title “Ten Thousand Days”, as many have decided, is “unlike” the others; it implies no mystery, does not really set the mind in motion as does hearing a title like “Aenima” or “Lateralus”, and to crown it all, it is nearly identical to Disturb’s most recent record (which is disturbing). We were all expecting more of a bang, and it can be easy to be disappointed.

But I have this theory...

Each Tool album revolves around a Theme (but you knew that). To grossly oversimplify, my brilliant theory dictates that Tool takes a particularly important track from one album and use it as a base for the next one; as if each album is a 77+ minute subtext/footnote to one of the previous album’s songs, though not nearly so trivial.

In “Undertow” this song would be ‘Intolerance’. An accusatory song, but it yearns to overcome its maladies just as much as it recognizes them. It wants more than “lying, cheating, stealing.” It no longer wishes to tolerate itself, but prevail against it. This is the whole idea behind “Aenima”: about wanting to reach for things beyond boundaries, “forty-six and two ahead of me.”

The base of “Lateralus” is ‘Third Eye’; just as that song’s message was to open your mind and see beyond sight with more spirituality and less materialism, so is the entirety of “Lateralus” about searching with MORE than our eyes; true communication and open-mindedness to lead us toward a transcendant end. Further proof of this relationship between album and song are the “fire eyes” on Alex Grey’s cover. Each chakra is represented as an eye of bright and flaming color, letting you see byond the technicolor world. This is far removed from “Aenima"'s artwork, which showed tons of morose, placid eyes looking at you and seeing only your ugly face. Even some of the lyrics echo phrases used in ‘Third Eye’, which seems far more than simple coincidence.

Now, what of “Ten Thousand Days”?

If you’ll remember, “Lateralus” has a song called ‘the Grudge.’ In the song Maynard makes references to the “ascension of Saturn.” Any Tool fanatic worth his salt will know by now that this is the revolution of Saturn around the sun, which takes approximately 27 years, or, again approximately, TEN THOUSAND DAYS.

Bang.

I would like to put to all of you to listen to ‘the Grudge’ right now and ponder it’s meaning, the concepts involved. We all know it’s about “letting go of a grudge”, but there’s much more in there that is implied about human nature and the war that rages on in all of us. Think more on the use of the “Saturn ascension” metaphor.

Or don't. But you'll never find the deeper meaning you want from Tool unless you LOOK.

(27 years actually translates into an exact 9855 days, but that would make an outlandish album title. What would you prefer... “Ten Thousand Days” or “Nine Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty-Five Days”?)

Goldfoot
03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
The only thing similar to the Disturbed album is the number. OMG NO NOT THE SAME NUMBER! It's simple, Ten Thousand Fists refers to something totally different than 10,000 Days. Days, fists, I see no correlation. With this mindset, it would then be right to assume that Mudvayne's CD was gonna be the same as Will Smith's CD since they have the same title and were coming out around the same time.

TurdEye13
03-09-2006, 01:06 PM
What would you prefer... “Ten Thousand Days” or “Nine Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty-Five Days”?)

"Nine Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty-Five Days"

KJM
03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Everyone has a theory, and with the internet comes the power to post them. There should be a liscence necessary.

mike tyson
03-09-2006, 01:09 PM
To grossly oversimplify, my brilliant theory...

I'd hardly call this theory "brilliant." It's been said before.

STA
Each Tool album revolves around a Theme (but you knew that). To grossly oversimplify, my brilliant theory dictates that Tool takes a particularly important track from one album and use it as a base for the next one; as if each album is a 77+ minute subtext/footnote to one of the previous album’s songs, though not nearly so trivial.

I've always thought that the final track of each Tool album has reflected/suggested/led into the sound/atmosphere/ideas of the following album. Opiate sounds more like Undertow than any of the other tracks on Opiate; Flood sounds more like Aenima than any of the other tracks on Undertow; Third Eye sounds more like Lateralus than any of the tracks on Aenima. And, if the "reviews" we've been hearing are to be believed, it sounds as though the new album will sound a bit like D/R/T.

The pattern - if it's even there, these are just opinions, of course - probably isn't a conscious decision on the band's part; more likely it's just the natural direction their music has taken.

Interesting thought, thanks.

Geedorah
Kabir,

Please make the word "Disturb%" a bannable offense.

end

I have always liked the idea of how the cd's transition into each other. Like mentioned, the reviews are hinting towards the whole d/r/t style.

ARMZ
03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
If you’ll remember, “Lateralus” has a song called ‘the Grudge.’ In the song Maynard makes references to the “ascension of Saturn.” Any Tool fanatic worth his salt will know by now that this is the revolution of Saturn around the sun, which takes approximately 27 years, or, again approximately, TEN THOUSAND DAYS.

Bang.
It takes Saturn 29.5 Earth years to revolve around the Sun.

Bang.

KJM
03-09-2006, 01:11 PM
and you're actually not cool or a bigger tool fan for knowing such things. you're just kind of a loser who doesn't have a life of his own. SARCASM. Since no one catches such things. Tool fan worth a salt, lol.

khemystri
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Found some weird article..... ANOTHER THEORY....

Many people seem to be waiting for an antichrist to appear in the Middle East. Nostradamus says his name is Mabus and he comes from Persia. If you turn the name Mabus around, you have the name Subam or Sudam. Nostradumas says that the Earth would experience a

27 year war.

Egypt attacked Israel on October 6, 1973, on Yom Kippur, and wars have continued since then. We had the war between Iran and Iraq. During that war there was a fountain of blood in the middle of the city of Tehran, just like the Bible said would happen. There were wars in Africa that turned the Nile River to blood from all the people that died. There were wars in almost all of the Balkan countries after the Russian empire fell in August of 1991. Saddam remained in power all through those wars. He took control of the BAHTH party in 1968.

He became president of Iraq in 1979.

He has been in power all during this 27-28 year war. What I am saying is that the events that many people are still waiting to happen have already happened. We are in the Tribulation, which I think is fast approaching a climax.

http://www.planetlightworker.com/articles/mahala/article2.htm

thejesus
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Jesus Christ...you are all spending way to much time on this....

It's real simple....

Tool ALWAYS names their albums after a track on the record....

Maynard named one of his songs "10,000 Days"...

That song just happened to be the one that contained the underlying concept that the band chose as the main theme for this record...

Hence, the record is called "10,000 Days"...

THAT'S IT!!! End of story...

As far as this name sounding similar to something a band called "Disturbed" released, I would bet that Tool probably wrote and named their song first, probably 2 or 3 years ago...and why would they give a shit what some other band is doing anyway?

Anyone wishing to add anything to what I just said is only going to make this thread dumber than it already is....

pork chops
03-09-2006, 01:24 PM
i was born 28 years ago, or roughly 10,000 days. wow, they named the record after me.

bluefire
03-09-2006, 01:24 PM
This thread does not deliver on the promise of its title.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
03-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I was under the impression that the new album was highly influenced by Wham!'s hit album, Make It Big. I was excited about this. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

mike tyson
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Kabir,

end

I have always liked the idea of how the cd's transition into each other. Like mentioned, the reviews are hinting towards the whole d/r/t style.

You posting should be a bannable offense.

Cid
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM

Bang.

29 years for saturn.....

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
It takes Saturn 29.5 Earth years to revolve around the Sun.

Bang.

And yet it still comes out at approximately 10,000 days. How strange.

Chris Myth
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I dunno, I'm with this guy, seems like a logical connection and gives the title deeper meaning than most critics are giving it credit for so far... of all the coincidences pointed out regarding "10,000 Days" the Saturn cycle seems the most likely connection, seeing as Tool have referenced it before.

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I'd hardly call this theory "brilliant." It's been said before.
Oh. I didn't see it. Sorry for wasting your time.

Cid
03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
And yet it still comes out at approximately 10,000 days. How strange.

i'd call 10,767 days approximately 11,000...maybe. definitely not "approximately 10,000" though. i don't think an extra 2 years added onto 10,000 days makes it approximate anymore, so i doubt it's about saturn.

plexus
03-09-2006, 02:05 PM
god, these theories make me sick.

"heres my theory on how tool's new album title might not dissapoint us loser fans!"

Drumcycle
03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Another point of view........I read a book about 5 or 6 years ago called 10,000 days. It's a story of an Australian man that at a young impressionable age got caught up running first money, and then drugs for an organized crime figure. He was eventually busted smuggling heroin from Thailand in a Tai airport. He was imprisoned in some of the worst conditions imaginable for the equivalant of........10,000 days. The darkness, pain and suffering this man went through could certainly be an inspiration to a songwriter/musician. Hope nobody has posted this already, I didn't reald all the previous threads.

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
i'd call 10,767 days approximately 11,000...maybe. definitely not "approximately 10,000" though. i don't think an extra 2 years added onto 10,000 days makes it approximate anymore, so i doubt it's about saturn.
That's a pretty strong point. Though you don't need my approval, I respect your opinion and agree that it discredits my claims quite efficiently. But I'll be stubborn and try to figure out a way validate my sentiment anyhow.

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
god, these theories make me sick.

"heres my theory on how tool's new album title might not dissapoint us loser fans!"
Well, we like to pretend.

tDoXoMl
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
its not hard to find a song from a previous album that feels like it could meld with its following album

Vlad
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Kabir,

end

I second that. A zero-tolerance banning policy on anyone (new or not) who posts the word "Dis***bed" should be instantly banned. No questons asked.

Goldfoot
03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I second that. A zero-tolerance banning policy on anyone (new or not) who posts the word "Dis***bed" should be instantly banned. No questons asked.

No, that would be retarded. If we are going to ban a certain band's name simply because Tool chose a title that people won't stop comparing to said band, we might as well just ban all discussion of other bands. While I don't agree with comparing two bands based on an album title, there shouldn't be a limit on which bands we are allowed to talk about.

Lamb & Martyr^
03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Why hate on the guy? He was just giving his opinion.

paraflux
03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Some people just like to be assholes. I guess.

TurdEye13
03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Some people just like to be assholes. I guess.

especially on here

paganman7
03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Why hate on the guy? He was just giving his opinion.

Indeed. I suspect it's because this board is overrun with 20-25 year old children with a blown sense of self-importance and a pathetic lack of perspective.

I'd be interested to meet some of these children in real life, especially the "shut the fuck up and die" people. I've always wondered if they behave this way in "real" life. But then I realize that the answer to that question is irrelevant:

1. If they answer yes, I do act that way in person, then they're worthless assholes with no social skills.

2. If they anser no, then they're brutally pathetic, and suffer from dissociative disorder which disallows them from keeping it real.

Either way, they end up looking foolish, so I enjoy watching them discredit themselves.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to watch.

fraz
03-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Indeed. I suspect it's because this board is overrun with 20-25 year old children with a blown sense of self-importance and a pathetic lack of perspective.

I'd be interested to meet some of these children in real life, especially the "shut the fuck up and die" people. I've always wondered if they behave this way in "real" life. But then I realize that the answer to that question is irrelevant:

1. If they answer yes, I do act that way in person, then they're worthless assholes with no social skills.

2. If they anser no, then they're brutally pathetic, and suffer from dissociative disorder which disallows them from keeping it real.

Either way, they end up looking foolish, so I enjoy watching them discredit themselves.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to watch.

That's Generation Y for you. Well at least that's what they call us here in Australia. Is it the same in the US?

paraflux
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Well, I call them bitches but you can stick with Generation Y if you like.

paganman7
03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
That's Generation Y for you. Well at least that's what they call us here in Australia. Is it the same in the US?

I'm not actually sure.

I have to say that I'm very pleased when I read posts that suggest I'm not the only one dissapointed in the behavior of some posters...it makes me feel less old.

ATARI
03-09-2006, 02:58 PM

we call them asswipes

Tachyon
03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I call them bitches but you can stick with Generation Y if you like.

Offtopic @Paraflux: Where did you get your avatar. I googled on sacred geometry, flower and seed of life but I couldn't (first this word was didn't but my girlfriend nagged about the importance of grammar ) found that picture.

Cid
03-09-2006, 03:01 PM

but what about "when keepin it real goes wrong" ?

paganman7
03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
but what about "when keepin it real goes wrong" ?

If there are significant social or personal consequences associated with being yourself, then a complete overhaul of your (editorial "you", not you in particular) priorities is in order.

People in general just need to be kinder and more respectful.

Cid
03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
If there are significant social or personal consequences associated with being yourself, then a complete overhaul of your (editorial "you", not you in particular) priorities is in order.

People in general just need to be kinder and more respectful.

haha..i know. people that pretend to be something they're not have some kind of issues. i was just quoting a dave chappelle skit....

Cid
03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Offtopic @Paraflux: Where did you get your avatar. I googled on sacred geometry, flower and seed of life but I couldn't (first this word was didn't but my girlfriend nagged about the importance of grammar ) found that picture.

"but i couldn't found that picture"

if grammar is important, you need to work on it :)

paganman7
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
i was just quoting a dave chappelle skit....

D'oh! I'm sorry I didn't get your reference.

ladder_alice_11
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM

Bang.

I would like to put to all of you to listen to ‘the Grudge’ right now and ponder it’s meaning, the concepts involved. We all know it’s about “letting go of a grudge”, but there’s much more in there that is implied about human nature and the war that rages on in all of us. Think more on the use of the “Saturn ascension” metaphor.

Or don't. But you'll never find the deeper meaning you want from Tool unless you LOOK.

(27 years actually translates into an exact 9855 days, but that would make an outlandish album title. What would you prefer... “Ten Thousand Days” or “Nine Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty-Five Days”?)

Speaking of deeper meanings and certainly not to rain on your parade...

The Grudge is NOT all about Saturn's acension (orbit.)

Read Blair's and D.C.'s Renne findings on Danny Carey's Website if you don't believe me.

You have a good idea though...

saut
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
this is why people hate tool fans.

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
The Grudge is NOT all about Saturn's acension (orbit.)

Read Blair's and D.C.'s Renne findings on Danny Carey's Website if you don't believe me.

You have a good idea though...
I'm glad you like the idea, and I certainly believe you: it is not, as you say, all about Saturn's orbit. The reference to Saturn is conducive to the song's meaning, not simply an astronomy lesson. My idea is that the title of the new album, and thereby the possible theme of it, will have much to do with the ideas expressed in 'the Grudge.'

In short, it won't be about Saturn. It will be about the representation of Saturn to Tool. In my opinion.

dracomordag
03-09-2006, 04:08 PM
This just might be the most pointless thread I have ever seen

hanger25934
03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
i am intrigued to call you stupid.

mmortal03
03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
That's a pretty strong point. Though you don't need my approval, I respect your opinion and agree that it discredits my claims quite efficiently. But I'll be stubborn and try to figure out a way validate my sentiment anyhow.

Yeah, regardless of his good logic, I still thought that your idea about this album metaphorically being "Saturn coming back around" in terms of Tool being ticked off again being a cool one.

Hannibal
03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
*waiting to be intrigued*

Archetypically
03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
This thread blows.

paganman7
03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
This thread blows.

I wasn't aware that you were being forced to read it.

weak&weary
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, regardless of his good logic, I still thought that your idea about this album metaphorically being "Saturn coming back around" in terms of Tool being ticked off again being a cool one.
Thanks dawg. You rock.